why are we splitting taco tokens?

2»

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    not sure why they don't just come out and tell us, but the widespread speculation is that there will be 2 stacks just like before that alternate on the even/odd 5-day 'weeks' just like before. only change was the mechanism by which they are redeemed, i.e. the vault instead of steady odds for every token. while that could have been better for us, it is still an improvement on the old system, only drawbacks being all the healthpacks (some apparently find value in them) and the sheer size of the vault (300 things is a lot), along with non-week characters taking spaces that the week's characters should be taking (my opinion - why do i have 4 mystique covers in my vault?). those are the only drawbacks i see.
  • TxMoose wrote:
    not sure why they don't just come out and tell us, but the widespread speculation is that there will be 2 stacks just like before that alternate on the even/odd 5-day 'weeks' just like before. only change was the mechanism by which they are redeemed, i.e. the vault instead of steady odds for every token. while that could have been better for us, it is still an improvement on the old system, only drawbacks being all the healthpacks (some apparently find value in them) and the sheer size of the vault (300 things is a lot), along with non-week characters taking spaces that the week's characters should be taking (my opinion - why do i have 4 mystique covers in my vault?). those are the only drawbacks i see.
    ok, that's what I needed to hear. Not gonna lose sleep over known unknowns
  • Personally, I just hope we don't end up with the dreaded "7-10" split...

Man, is that ever a bear.

Side note - I could really go for a Choco Taco...

DBC
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    IceIX wrote:
    Truthcraze wrote:
    I would hazard a guess. It's probably a technical thing, so that they can have everything change over smoothly at DDQ refresh time. Is there a way to code around it? Probably. But would it be tricky, and possibly break things every five days? Probably.

Don't apply malicious intent where there are other explanations.
    Pretty much this. In order to have things run smoothly between the two events, we either need downtime to switch out the tokens or two sets of tokens. Otherwise there ends up being weird edge cases where people turn in tokens while changing time zones or somehow being out of sync with the server... all kinds of things. Those players then come home to cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria. Two token sets that rotate is a *much* smoother way of doing things.
    Ok, fine. No problem with this reason.

The problem lies with the 300 items. Who came up with this number? You can only earn a max of 10 so 290 items cannot be earned unless you buy tokens which leads to more disappointment and RNG garbage.

The vault shouldn't be more than 30-60 items. Can we work on that?
  • mjh wrote:
    The problem lies with the 300 items. Who came up with this number? You can only earn a max of 10 so 290 items cannot be earned unless you buy tokens which leads to more disappointment and RNG garbage.

We don't really know this yet. Day 11 tokens may very well sit on the same pile/stack of the Day 1-5. The question is what happens to the vault and the featured characters....
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    IceIX wrote:
    Truthcraze wrote:
    I would hazard a guess. It's probably a technical thing, so that they can have everything change over smoothly at DDQ refresh time. Is there a way to code around it? Probably. But would it be tricky, and possibly break things every five days? Probably.

Pretty much this. In order to have things run smoothly between the two events, we either need downtime to switch out the tokens or two sets of tokens. Otherwise there ends up being weird edge cases where people turn in tokens while changing time zones or somehow being out of sync with the server... all kinds of things. Those players then come home to cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria. Two token sets that rotate is a *much* smoother way of doing things.

well there is the problem, the way they set it up is complete garbage.

why couldn't they have it like standard tokens and just patch in the rewards for the next week and is not tied in to any event and all the disadvantages associated with it in my experience i have not had an issues when they changed standard tokens reward draws.

this can be done on the corporate time zone time and have everyone on it there are many games locked on to a specific time zones for specific daily events, i don't know why they thought it was a good idea to implement it like that. they could of even done it with a pop associated with the update stating that it was updated and tokens for this week are ready to draw. maybe spend another week coding it better so we don't have to deal with all the negatives on our side, but we are stuck with so many reminders of the staffs limitations with code to the point where users find it idiotic. Incompetence never crossed my mind in the making of the original post. I don't know what is worse for the future of the game, i was hoping for malicious intent, cause at least they would be potentially capable at delivering a good product instead of being unable.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Heartburn wrote:
    why couldn't they have it like standard tokens and just patch in the rewards for the next week and is not tied in to any event and all the disadvantages associated with it in my experience i have not had an issues when they changed standard tokens reward draws.

Standard Tokens don't change between events. The one time time it changed, it was through a mandatory patch. There wasn't an opportunity for there to be an issue because they preempted the opportunities chance of arrival.

The Vault isn't perfect, by a long shot, but it's certainly a step forward (ISO, HP, and 4* rewards? Personally I even like the Health Pack rewards - just wish there were less of them drowning the statistics), and clearly they are experimenting with different layouts for The Vault (like the 4th of July Vault or the Ant-Man Vault). Lets give them some time to work out all the quirks. They've done us pretty good with the last few batches of changes (1300 prog, point changes, the vault, ddq, etc).
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    IceIX wrote:
    Truthcraze wrote:

If this was the case, you could halve the contents of The Vault to correct this (150 items in it) *hint hint* icon_e_biggrin.gif

The time values and pull% are selected by them, they can easily modify these values despite being forced by code to have 2 sets of tacos. So, they knew there would be 2 sets of tacos and intentionally set 300 items per vault knowing both of these values.