POLL: Most Overused Color Set

2»

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Haetron wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Thing is that under the colour pie of MPQ, Spidey (Peter Parker) is not red at all, neither mechanically or philosophically. The only red Spideys I can think of would be his symbiote "Black Suit" version (he'd likely be blackflag.pngblueflag.pngredflag.png ) or Superior Spider-Man ( blueflag.pnggreenflag.pngredflag.png ). Miles, I think, would be blueflag.pngyellowflag.pnggreenflag.png and Ben Reilly, blueflag.pnggreenflag.pngpurpleflag.png

Actual colouration of the character's illustrations has no bearing in their MPQ colours.

Yeah, Im slowly making my way out of that "new player" phase where every day Im surprised by something I find. The color themes dawned on me weeks ago, but not sure on the specifics.

I so badly want Superior Spider-Man at some point, but I worry that boat has already passed. But in all other games, Spidey's always been single target scrappery, so I dunno why Red seems an odd choice for him?

Red in MPQ (as far as we can deduce) is philosophically the colour of fury, unrestricted violence and/or power and mechanically, the colour of fire, point impact, and energy beams. There's nothing red in Peter Parker's Spidey, except maybe when Gwen died and he went apetinykitty on the Green Goblin.

I would feel better about the color themes pylgrim if the game paid more attention to them.

Yellow is generally health and protect-y. But cage has a single-target-damage 7k nuke for no reason. Green is generally a major attack power, but loki has a support passive and bullseye has a board control power. purple is generally sneaky, ap manipulation, but deadpool has a massive aoe nuke. Blue is generally stun-related powers, but cmags has a board-shaking nuke power, and daken has a strike-tile easting fast attack. Red is usually a direct damage dealing color, but cage has a passive defensive ability.

Plus a large majority of characters that are strongly associated with particular colors (i.e. non human characters that are a particular color, or human characters that have a traditionally colored costume) are strong in those colors: black panther covers black, magneto covers red, hulk covers green, carnage covers red, venom covers black, Captain America has red and blue [there is no white in the game], Iron Man gets red and yellow [gold], daredevil gets red, Torch gets red, deadpool gets red and black, beast gets blue, mystique gets blue, punisher gets black.

It seems to me that spidey's blue/red costume is among the most iconic in all of Marvel's stable. and while not a particularly violent superhero, spidey does frequently attack villains. A direct damage power seems at least as much in line with peter parker as a web-bandaging aoe healing power.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Haetron wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Thing is that under the colour pie of MPQ, Spidey (Peter Parker) is not red at all, neither mechanically or philosophically. The only red Spideys I can think of would be his symbiote "Black Suit" version (he'd likely be blackflag.pngblueflag.pngredflag.png ) or Superior Spider-Man ( blueflag.pnggreenflag.pngredflag.png ). Miles, I think, would be blueflag.pngyellowflag.pnggreenflag.png and Ben Reilly, blueflag.pnggreenflag.pngpurpleflag.png

Actual colouration of the character's illustrations has no bearing in their MPQ colours.

Yeah, Im slowly making my way out of that "new player" phase where every day Im surprised by something I find. The color themes dawned on me weeks ago, but not sure on the specifics.

I so badly want Superior Spider-Man at some point, but I worry that boat has already passed. But in all other games, Spidey's always been single target scrappery, so I dunno why Red seems an odd choice for him?

Red in MPQ (as far as we can deduce) is philosophically the colour of fury, unrestricted violence and/or power and mechanically, the colour of fire, point impact, and energy beams. There's nothing red in Peter Parker's Spidey, except maybe when Gwen died and he went apetinykitty on the Green Goblin.

I would feel better about the color themes pylgrim if the game paid more attention to them.

Yellow is generally health and protect-y. But cage has a single-target-damage 7k nuke for no reason. Green is generally a major attack power, but loki has a support passive and bullseye has a board control power. purple is generally sneaky, ap manipulation, but deadpool has a massive aoe nuke. Blue is generally stun-related powers, but cmags has a board-shaking nuke power, and daken has a strike-tile easting fast attack. Red is usually a direct damage dealing color, but cage has a passive defensive ability.

Plus a large majority of characters that are strongly associated with particular colors (i.e. non human characters that are a particular color, or human characters that have a traditionally colored costume) are strong in those colors: black panther covers black, magneto covers red, hulk covers green, carnage covers red, venom covers black, Captain America has red and blue [there is no white in the game], Iron Man gets red and yellow [gold], daredevil gets red, Torch gets red, deadpool gets red and black, beast gets blue, mystique gets blue, punisher gets black.

It seems to me that spidey's blue/red costume is among the most iconic in all of Marvel's stable. and while not a particularly violent superhero, spidey does frequently attack villains. A direct damage power seems at least as much in line with peter parker as a web-bandaging aoe healing power.

Yellow is the colour of healing and teamwork. Cage's take on it is awesome (it is stronger the more friends he has); it is powers like Thunder Strike or Twin Pistols the ones that bother me but those are old powers of old characters from another age of design, when power sets were created "bottom-up" (making sense mechanically, i.e. Thor chaining red into yellow into green) rather than "top-down" (based in flavour and philosophy.) Cage's red is interesting in that is a clear subversion, using the incredible tensile strength of his muscles as defence.

I agree that Loki's passive feels weird in green but the problem is that that ability should be purple, or maybe black and those are taken. None of the other colours would make sense, so green might as well do. The one way to fix it that pops to mind would be making Illusions or Trickery blue (the colour of science and the powers of the mind) and Mischief purple or black, but messing with old-standing colour profiles is, rightfully, a no-no. Bullseye has a similar problem and his green power is not that jarring in that colour, anyway, though I think red would have made more sense, philosophically. Whales would make more sense in green or even yellow (cetacean friends!) but I think it was made purple because it is a ridiculous and unexplained power that DP gets just because being meta-aware.

Your take in blue is extremely narrow and thankfully it's a colour that is not /only/ about stunning; that's just one of the mechanical ways in which it is expressed. Black Panther is black because he has a "no-limits" policy when it comes to protecting what he deigns precious and sometimes will do underhanded or even arguably evil things for the greater good. Magneto is red because he is motivated by (arguably righteous) rage and his powers are brutally violent. Hulk is green because his brute force, carnage is red because he's one of the most violent characters in the universe, venom is an amoral cannibal, Iron Man uses energy beams and Human Torch, fire. Beast is a scientist and Mystique an accomplished manipulator, Punisher methods are unlawful and bordering in inhumane. Etc. The only character I'm ready to agree was given his colours based on his own colour scheme was Cap America, whom I reckon should be green instead blue, but it is clear that his colour scheme is extremely important for a whole nation.

I'm all for a direct damage power for Spidey, but I believe it would be green (instead his purple) or yellow.