POLL: Most Overused Color Set

Nonce Equitaur 2
Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I put in an update at the Characters and Skills Compendium and noticed a few color combos that seem way overused, if the Passives were considered neutral. So I made a poll out of it.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    You missed 2* Cap.
  • scottee wrote:
    You missed 2* Cap.

And 2* Torch.
  • Everytime I see the color list, I am boggled we don't have a red/blue/black spidey.
  • Cymmina
    Cymmina Posts: 413 Mover and Shaker
    Not sure why we need a poll for this, it's pretty easy to count how many characters use each combination of colors.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    I'm really tired of seeing red/green/third.

Like a lot.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Red alone is everywhere in this game, it's creepily excessive, followed by green, I'd argue yellow/ blue after.
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    "By DuckyV » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:21 am

I'm really tired of seeing red/green/third.

Like a lot."

My first maxed chars were, in that order:
    Punisher, Thor, Patch, and a healthy Hulk. I used OBWidow for ages icon_razz.gif
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Red alone is everywhere in this game, it's creepily excessive, followed by green, I'd argue yellow/ blue after.

That's funny, as I was just thinking about how I am almost always missing blue in my lineups. Unless running Groot or Cmags ... My Fury is meh, and Prof X and Hulkbuster aren't grown up yet. Amongst the popular 3*s, blue is underused IMO.

icon_captainamerica.pngicon_daken.pngicon_daredevil.pngicon_mystique.png all have pretty great blueflag.png powers.

icon_falcon.pngicon_hood.png both have blueflag.png passives that are incredibly powerful.

icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    I believe it's more useful to point out the colour pairs that are overly represented in comparison to others, something I noticed while working on my Two Colour Combinations thread. For example, the combination Yellow/Black and Purple/Green are stacked with active abilities and most of them are great. Blue/Green and Blue/Black, on the other hand, are very poorly represented.
  • Im curious, is there some unwritten rule about what powers are allowed to do for their color?

IE, most of the AP/board manipulators seem to be purple, most of the attack tiles tend to be black, most of the st direct damage seems to be red, most of the boardshakes tend to be green.

Does each color have some unwritten "Rule" about what it's allowed to do?
  • Haetron wrote:
    Im curious, is there some unwritten rule about what powers are allowed to do for their color?

IE, most of the AP/board manipulators seem to be purple, most of the attack tiles tend to be black, most of the st direct damage seems to be red, most of the boardshakes tend to be green.

Does each color have some unwritten "Rule" about what it's allowed to do?

Blue is stun and light board manipulation, Yellow works with protect tiles and health.
  • CoffigDarkGravity
    CoffigDarkGravity Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    Give us a yellowflag.pngblackflag.pngblueflag.png

And another purpleflag.pngredflag.pngblueflag.png

I think there is another color set that hasn't been represented yet, but those two are very under represented.

Yes, I do know those are Hood and Daredevils colours, but that's it. And hoods blueflag.png is passive.

ETA: Kingpin is the other one. He is the only purpleflag.pngyellowflag.pngblackflag.png

And quicksilver is the only blackflag.pnggreenflag.pngblueflag.png I think
  • Pylgrim
    Give us a yellowflag.pngblackflag.pngblueflag.png

And another purpleflag.pngredflag.pngblueflag.png

I think there is another color set that hasn't been represented yet, but those two are very under represented.

Yes, I do know those are Hood and Daredevils colours, but that's it. And hoods blueflag.png is passive.

ETA: Kingpin is the other one. He is the only purpleflag.pngyellowflag.pngblackflag.png

And quicksilver is the only blackflag.pnggreenflag.pngblueflag.png I think

Black Panther has the same combination as Hood and Doc Ock has the same combination as Quicksilver. When in doubt, always refer to the excellent Characters and Skills compendium thread linked in the first post. According to it, these are the combinations that only have 1 or less representative:

yellowtile.pngredtile.pngpurpletile.pngnone.pngicon_starlord.png

bluetile.pngpurpletile.pnggreentile.pngnone.pngicon_scarletwitch.png

yellowtile.pngpurpletile.pngblacktile.pngnone.pngicon_kingpin.png

redtile.pngbluetile.pngpurpletile.pngnone.pngicon_daredevil.png (If you are ignoring characters under 3*s)

If we were to count colours without characters with all three actives in those colours we'd add to that list:

purpletile.pnggreentile.pngblacktile.png There are 4 characters in this combination but not a single one with three actives.

bluetile.pnggreentile.pngblacktile.png 2 Characters but none with 3 actives.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Haetron wrote:
    Everytime I see the color list, I am boggled we don't have a red/blue/black spidey.

Crossing my fingers for redflag.pngblueflag.pngblackflag.png Miles and redflag.pngblueflag.pngpurpleflag.png Ben Reilly. Heck, a greenflag.pngpurpleflag.pngredflag.png Doc Ock Superior Spider-Man would be cool.

And I'm hoping Black Cat purpleflag.pngyellowflag.pngblackflag.png makes the rounds.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Haetron wrote:
    Everytime I see the color list, I am boggled we don't have a red/blue/black spidey.

I am just boggled that spiderman doesn't tank red. It's kinda like psylocke not having purple, or original loki not having green, only much MUCH worse because Spiderman is the A-1 marvel property and has sported that predominantly red costume for what, 50 years now? But at least purple and yellow make a ton of sense for him!
  • Pylgrim
    Thing is that under the colour pie of MPQ, Spidey (Peter Parker) is not red at all, neither mechanically or philosophically. The only red Spideys I can think of would be his symbiote "Black Suit" version (he'd likely be blackflag.pngblueflag.pngredflag.png ) or Superior Spider-Man ( blueflag.pnggreenflag.pngredflag.png ). Miles, I think, would be blueflag.pngyellowflag.pnggreenflag.png and Ben Reilly, blueflag.pnggreenflag.pngpurpleflag.png

Actual colouration of the character's illustrations has no bearing in their MPQ colours.
  • Not sure if it's a sign of overuse or just my relative roster build (eternal 2*-3* transition), but I usually go for greenflag.png or blueflag.png almost out of instinct. yellowflag.png usually follows, depending on who I using.

It's so ingrained, I have to remind myself that another color might be better if I happen to be using specific characters (Doom, Mystique, etc.)

As for redflag.png , whenever I see a match, I'm thinking, "Meh. At least it's something. Of course, I don't have a fully functional HB either. icon_e_wink.gif

DBC
  • mgallop
    mgallop Posts: 120
    I'd vote for greentile.pngpurpletile.png PA, not only are there 4 of them, and 3 of them who are top tier star.pngstar.pngstar.png characters, but you effectively have 2 more of them.

icon_blackwidow.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png and icon_squirrelgirl.png are basically that because they have almost completely unusable third powers.
  • Pylgrim wrote:
    Thing is that under the colour pie of MPQ, Spidey (Peter Parker) is not red at all, neither mechanically or philosophically. The only red Spideys I can think of would be his symbiote "Black Suit" version (he'd likely be blackflag.pngblueflag.pngredflag.png ) or Superior Spider-Man ( blueflag.pnggreenflag.pngredflag.png ). Miles, I think, would be blueflag.pngyellowflag.pnggreenflag.png and Ben Reilly, blueflag.pnggreenflag.pngpurpleflag.png

Actual colouration of the character's illustrations has no bearing in their MPQ colours.

Yeah, Im slowly making my way out of that "new player" phase where every day Im surprised by something I find. The color themes dawned on me weeks ago, but not sure on the specifics.

I so badly want Superior Spider-Man at some point, but I worry that boat has already passed. But in all other games, Spidey's always been single target scrappery, so I dunno why Red seems an odd choice for him?
  • Pylgrim
    Haetron wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

Yeah, Im slowly making my way out of that "new player" phase where every day Im surprised by something I find. The color themes dawned on me weeks ago, but not sure on the specifics.

I so badly want Superior Spider-Man at some point, but I worry that boat has already passed. But in all other games, Spidey's always been single target scrappery, so I dunno why Red seems an odd choice for him?

Red in MPQ (as far as we can deduce) is philosophically the colour of fury, unrestricted violence and/or power and mechanically, the colour of fire, point impact, and energy beams. There's nothing red in Peter Parker's Spidey, except maybe when Gwen died and he went apetinykitty on the Green Goblin.