Dark Reign really needs to end...

2»

Comments

• Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    I have a feeling that the Dark Reign story was nuked by Marvel, given all the preparations that they already made for Dark Reign but was never implemented. I'm pretty sure a lot of decisions come from those guys but the devs aren't allowed to tell us about them because of NDAs or whatever. It's pretty frustrating since I really did quite enjoy playing new Dark Reign story modes.

I was getting excited that Dark Reign was going to be continued when they started updating Dark Avengers characters like Daken, Bullseye and Ares and giving them new comic covers, but it's looking like nothing is coming out of it after all.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance III will cover Dark Reign, too.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a feeling that the Dark Reign story was nuked by Marvel, given all the preparations that they already made for Dark Reign but was never implemented. I'm pretty sure a lot of decisions come from those guys but the devs aren't allowed to tell us about them because of NDAs or whatever. It's pretty frustrating since I really did quite enjoy playing new Dark Reign story modes.

I was getting excited that Dark Reign was going to be continued when they started updating Dark Avengers characters like Daken, Bullseye and Ares and giving them new comic covers, but it's looking like nothing is coming out of it after all.

It would be a shame if that's the case, but it's also strange they haven't instead done other stories.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    ronin-san wrote:

What what whaaaaat?!?!?!?
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    TLCstormz wrote:
    ronin-san wrote:

What what whaaaaat?!?!?!?

Evidently been in the works for 2 yrs, now, though officially announced last year. The problem is, no legitimate gaming sites are reporting it.

Rumor is, Dark Reign is the subject. Though it'd be cool to do Secret Wars or Infinity Wars.
  • I think everyone is missing the bigger point here.

MPQ has to receive rights for whatever they publish. If Marvel says you get to use storyline XYZ, that's what they get to use. Someone mentioned the civil war. Marvel is not approving a civil war event this far before the release of the Civil War movie. That would be bad marketing.

I would love to see more content, but Marvel holds the cards and picks and chooses what companies can publish. We see the content and complain because its tiresome and boring, Marvel looks at it as a marketing tool. They only release certain content to each game and filter that content so that it matches with the messages they want to send.

So MPQ get the Dark Reign series. Marvel some other game gets battlefield, Marvel War of Heroes gets the skrull invasion.

It sucks for us but it allows them to only render the content they want out there. Nothing Demiurge/D3 does will convince Marvel to change what they are doing. They are making billions upon billions of dollars off of their stuff. Why would they listen to a smaller company that only makes millions?
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    traedoril wrote:
    Someone mentioned the civil war. Marvel is not approving a civil war event this far before the release of the Civil War movie. That would be bad marketing.

You forget the speed at which D3 moves. They need to have started planning Civil War already if they want to hit that window.
  • Lidolas wrote:
    traedoril wrote:
    Someone mentioned the civil war. Marvel is not approving a civil war event this far before the release of the Civil War movie. That would be bad marketing.

You forget the speed at which D3 moves. They need to have started planning Civil War already if they want to hit that window.

And I would not be surprised if they haven't done so already, as that would be a movie tie in, and also would rectify the "why do we always fight the dark avengers" concern so many players bring up. It could transition backwards, in a way, with it being used to write out Osborn and begin a set of story arcs where heroes would be more logically be battling it out, as disagreements about however DR was resolved spring up between individual characters.
  • traedoril wrote:
    I think everyone is missing the bigger point here.

MPQ has to receive rights for whatever they publish. If Marvel says you get to use storyline XYZ, that's what they get to use. Someone mentioned the civil war. Marvel is not approving a civil war event this far before the release of the Civil War movie. That would be bad marketing.

I would love to see more content, but Marvel holds the cards and picks and chooses what companies can publish. We see the content and complain because its tiresome and boring, Marvel looks at it as a marketing tool. They only release certain content to each game and filter that content so that it matches with the messages they want to send.

So MPQ get the Dark Reign series. Marvel some other game gets battlefield, Marvel War of Heroes gets the skrull invasion.

It sucks for us but it allows them to only render the content they want out there. Nothing Demiurge/D3 does will convince Marvel to change what they are doing. They are making billions upon billions of dollars off of their stuff. Why would they listen to a smaller company that only makes millions?
    they released thing when the enemy has thing, i'd argue that's worse marketing
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    traedoril wrote:
    I think everyone is missing the bigger point here.

Don't think this is entirely true. It's just faster to release new characters without story. What they could have done, since they are obviously going that route, is to make stories with already released characters. Also, its smarter marketing to just run events that coincide with Marvel's marketing. We should see something not influenced by that after Ant-Man and before Civil War.