PvE is just not worth the effort

I scored far more than double the final reward (which I didn't need anyways) and did not top 20.
I completely buttfucked my sleep schedule, staying up until 5 in the morning to catch the optimal resets, and did not top 20.
I played it pretty much as optimally as was reasonably possible - I never "abandoned" a node, I had all the characters required for the restricted nodes, almost never wiped, and ground down the nodes about as far as was reasonable within two hours of them being almost fresh at the end of each sub.

I did not hit top 20.

First in my bracket (shoutouts to shamsali btw) had well over 3x.

So... Why should I play PvE? Seriously, the only reason to get the newest characters is because you need them for... Uh... PvE. And PvE is a colossal time sink with abysmal rewards. If every PvE had a 4* for top 100 placing, it might be worthwhile, but as is, I fail to see why I should spend the time and effort required. Especially now that it's essentially a dice roll if I can even compete, given that in my current position, I just don't have the hero points to keep slots open for 2*s (I'm already selling **** 3*s to make room for ones that are actually worth a damn and 4*s!).

Compare that to PvP, where you consistently get more covers for a lot less work. I can score a 4* in like 2 hours in PvP, and the timing is a lot less rigid.

Seriously. PvE is an unrewarding slog and I don't see why anyone should bother. I wonder who does, at this point, when there's not a new 4* on the line.

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    New release PVE's are always going to be harder to place.. my score , like yours, in any other PVE would have guaranteed me t20 or higher.. but, loads of whales and people who are insanely hardcore way above me.

Regular PVE., not so bad.
  • Sherlock1
    Sherlock1 Posts: 81 Match Maker
    I scored far more than double the final reward (which I didn't need anyways) and did not top 20.
    I completely tinykitty my sleep schedule, staying up until 5 in the morning to catch the optimal resets, and did not top 20.
    I played it pretty much as optimally as was reasonably possible - I never "abandoned" a node, I had all the characters required for the restricted nodes, almost never wiped, and ground down the nodes about as far as was reasonable within two hours of them being almost fresh at the end of each sub.

I did not hit top 20.

So... Why should I play PvE? Seriously, the only reason to get the newest characters is because you need them for... Uh... PvE. And PvE is a colossal time sink with abysmal rewards. If every PvE had a 4* for top 100 placing, it might be worthwhile, but as is, I fail to see why I should spend the time and effort required. Especially now that it's essentially a dice roll if I can even compete, given that in my current position, I just don't have the hero points to keep slots open for 2*s (I'm already selling **** 3*s to make room for ones that are actually worth a damn and 4*s!).

Compare that to PvP, where you consistently get more covers for a lot less work. I can score a 4* in like 2 hours in PvP, and the timing is a lot less rigid.

Seriously. PvE is an unrewarding slog and I don't see why anyone should bother. I wonder who does, at this point, when there's not a new 4* on the line.

One reason for playing pve? HP... Sub rewards + event rewards can make you win some HP: A 4 days event with a top 50 at each such and a top 50 at the end makes you win 50*4 + 50= 250 HP (for my part it s more 100*4 + 50, as i make top 10 of each sub in every event i participate, when i participate), which is still interesting. Of course, pve alliance reward will also add some hp, but it s another story. No matter how efficient you are in pvp, you unfortunately need as many HP as you can...

One method to make pve a bit easier? Try not to run into pve when your shard begins, watch the thread about pve brackets, wait for a new one opening, in order to avoid some heavy hitters (sometimes, wait 2 hours entering the pve makes a real difference, or even take a new shard, if possible)... THis only detail can makes your life easier sometimes icon_e_smile.gif
    Moreover, about your strategy for grinding, maybe you can find something slightly different but still efficient (i hate sacrificing my sleeping time, which is already too short, so i don t and yet i manage to hit top 10 whatever pve i enter): don t consider that the classical strategy is the only way to make it.

Last thing: i know that depending on your roster you may face some difficulties clearing nodes efficiently, and mybe there is nos solution to that, but maybe with sharing your roster, we could provide you advices to clear nodes easier (i m not saying that you don t master your roster, just that some combinations which don t pop up in first thought can make your MPQ life better, think about it icon_e_smile.gif )
  • BPC
    "I never "abandoned" a node, I had all the characters required for the restricted nodes, almost never wiped, and ground down the nodes about as far as was reasonable within two hours of them being almost fresh at the end of each sub. "

Unfortunately, if you want to top 20 or higher a new 4 Star PvE, you cannot play reasonably. You have to be willing to play every 8 hours (which you did), but also, grind ALL nodes down 4 or even 5 times. Sometimes, this means spending up to three hours at the final end time of sub mindlessly fighting Daken, Bullseye, and friends.

I agree that it takes plenty of time you could be spending elsewhere. Another strategy some people do (very risky, and was mentioned somewhat already) is to monitor the boards / use LINE to join the event really late when it is full, putting you into a fresh bracket. From there, you won't attain progression rewards, but you might place higher, with less time invested overall.

The one thing to be thankful for is this: They finally updated the HUNT. No longer was it multiple 12 hour mini subs, lasting seven days! Imagine what that would have done to your sleep schedule.. icon_e_smile.gif
  • For me, PvE hasn't been worth the effort for about 9 months. I stuck to PvP and then that went to cr@p a few months back so I don't even bother with this game anymore after 550+ days.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Welcome to the darkside.

The lone advantage to PvE is the Iso/HP gain. Overall, playing PvE just to the progression is basically my goal at this point. I did bust my hump for Thing, but it was a short, weekend event, which makes it a helluva lot easier to manage.

If this ran Monday-Thursday, I'd have punted it.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    I very rarely focus on PvE. Don't really care for it but...

Took #1 in The Hunt that just passed (currently going) with 47613 points and got my 4 Ben Grimm covers. Just waiting on my alliance to finish so I can get that 5th one. The MPQ gods have smiled upon me this day.
  • Vankysher
    Vankysher Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Yup.
    I came back to play competitively for this Thing PvE and now remember why I went casual in the first place.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    You realise that that outcome is not exactly an artifact of the game itself but rather the competitiveness of the 20 players above you who really wanted the extra cover and that surely worked even harder than you for it? That's not belittling your efforts, by the way, just saying that in any game where there's competition, no matter how good you are, you cannot win if your competitors are even better.

This is just another way to say that you got into a hell bracket.
  • Vankysher

Took #1 in The Hunt that just passed (currently going) with 47613 points and got my 4 Ben Grimm covers. Just waiting on my alliance to finish so I can get that 5th one. The MPQ gods have smiled upon me this day.
    What slice are you in? I've currently got 49K and battling for 20th.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vankysher wrote:

im at 53k and dropped to #34 icon_e_sad.gif
  • Vankysher
    I completely tinykitty my sleep schedule, staying up until 5 in the morning to catch the optimal resets, and did not top 20.

I did not hit top 20.

If it makes you feel any better, in my time slice I know for a fact that a few vets spent a thousand or more of HP for healthpack.png to get into top 10. I'm F2P/No PvP and am trying to battle for the 20th spot.
  • Vankysher
    Malcrof wrote:
    Vankysher wrote:

im at 53k and dropped to #34 icon_e_sad.gif
    Ouch.
    I started slice 4 after work on Friday so missed most of the first sub and despite it being a relatively new bracket - it's been brutal.
  • For me, PvE is worthwhile when I can join in the last 8 hours and coast to an easy top50 (for the HP). This has been a great event, as far as timing goes.

I personally don't see the point in joining PvE during the first half of the event if I have any interest in placement prizes.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    By now, we all know how the system works, regarding PVE. You can try to mitigate the risks by joining newer brackets. I finished 5th in my bracket with 64k, and started almost a day later I think. Was only playing for top 10 since The1WhoKnocks and over_clocked were in my bracket.

I think I might be done going for Top 2 since they are keeping the 4* at 1k in PVP. Playing for Top 10 was a lot easier than playing for Top 2.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    I ended up in 41st with 52,953 points. It would have been smarter to play less for top 100 but I started out strong and slipped yesterday, seeing the prize revert back to top 20 for 2 covers was not nice.

This next event I can use the purpleflag.pngicon_falcon.png so I'll try for that but seeing as I don't care for spiderman I'll join late and see how that works out for me.
  • DCUDCU
    DCUDCU Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    It all depends on what you are looking to get and what your roster is. I'm progressing pretty solidly to completing many 3*, definitely due to the help of DPD, but also doing well in PVE.

In The Hunt, for example, I couldn't grind a lot for sub 2 close becuase it was Sunday and I had things to do, but managed to finish up at 19th place with 69K for two covers.

I was HOPING the new PVE would be something I didn't need, but Falcon is one of the few 3* I'm really low on so I'm back in.

Have to pick your spots really in this game, and decide if the end goal is worth it once your roster solidifies.

The late join recommendations really can work, and honestly, top 50 for 2 covers(3*) usually isn't that hard right now. You can just do okay in 2 of 3 subs and kill it in third and easily make it.
  • Im at 31K and currently ranked 7th.

My secret: I join all PVEs but stay at 0 cause the grind is too much. Basically I tank them, and when I get an event where I feel like the rewards seem cool (The Thing for example), then I jump in and try to score good. I haven't set an alarm, I didn't grind down to 0 a single node I even skipped couple of refreshes.

Tanking PVE is alive and well (but if anyone else asks, nop, it doesn't work).
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Koko81 wrote:
    Im at 31K and currently ranked 7th.

My secret: I join all PVEs but stay at 0 cause the grind is too much. Basically I tank them, and when I get an event where I feel like the rewards seem cool (The Thing for example), then I jump in and try to score good. I haven't set an alarm, I didn't grind down to 0 a single node I even skipped couple of refreshes.

Tanking PVE is alive and well (but if anyone else asks, nop, it doesn't work).
    excellent plan. about to join a non-pve alliance and that sounds like an excellent plan. just do some trivials for some iso or play to progression and stop. wonder what kind of placement that does? been a long time since I was back there.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Player vs Player pve is such a backwards idea lol.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vankysher wrote:

Were in. I was in Slice 1 and it ended before posting that. Skipped first sub. Got a new bracket when I joined the 2nd one. Climbed to top 2 during first sub, slept 7 hours into the next one and still came out #1.