Why are we adjusting our day to accommodate a video game?

13»

Comments

• Well, I'm done. This last PvE convinced me to quit. Grinded hard and stlll missed T20 (and a single cover/ T100 personal isn't even worth the effort IMO)

When I first came back:
    DPD was fun and refreshing. I had pretty good Taco luck, and felt like I earned meaningful rewards.
    When I entered PvP's, I could regularly achieve T10 with a little effort.

After all the changes starting several seasons back (roughly around the time of the first run Ultron / 4* nerfs etc..), I stopped being able to place in PvP at all. Scores that previously would get me top placement got me nothing, so I stopped playing PvP since there was no meaningful reward for my effort. Grinding that hard for a single 3* reward before getting hammered down 300 points, just isn't my definition of fun. That's right - I no longer can even earn 3* rewards in PvP with a 3* max roster. Hurray!

I moved over to PvE only as a result, which I could get decent rewards on 3* still, but the amount of required effort is still much too high for 3*. 4* PvE's are slightly better in that respect, except for the fact that they're 2-3x as grindy, and even then you typically only end up with 1 cover after 4 days or a week of grinding 3-5+ hrs a day. So this is far from ideal for me, because it's more a chore than playing for fun.

From here on out, I'm going super casual. I'm hanging around to help my alliance with coordination, but that's about it. TBH I'm not even excited about DPD anymore. I rarely get anything other than **** from my tokens, so I don't know if I'll even be playing that anymore.

I'm tired of waiting for the devs to make a game that I want to play, so I'm giving up, and I'll be dedicating that time (and money I planned to spend on MPQ) to other games / pursuits that I find more enjoyable and want to invest time into. I don't hate MPQ, and I'm not bitter. If they make changes that actually make me want to play more again, I'll probably come back. But right now, the only thing I'll really be doing is helping my alliance coordinate to get cover rewards. Beyond that, I'm done.

Much respect to everyone who's still grinding the game hard and putting up with all the **** this game forces on you (if you want any kind of meaningful progression).
  • For the best. You aren't having fun it seems, so zero reason to play the game. Plenty of others out there if you are looking to hit something full on.
  • Unknown
    edited June 2015
    I took a 7 month break for this reason and after being back since mid Fabruary I haven't seen any changes that address what the op is saying. For me, The Hunt was the last drop. Fighting over-scaled enemies in boring 10+ minute matches and trying to play optimally while the AI kills you in 2 turns because it got the 5-6 AP it needed to fire an ability, is beyond silly. God forbid the AI gets a cascade. It's all over int he next turn.

For me, the worst part is that the game requires more time management even than the most demanding job. Check the forums in order to join a new bracket, make sure the players already in the bracket haven't played in another sub which ended before you joined, time your schedule around the absolutely ridiculous 8-hour refreshes and make sure you have at least 2 hours when the bracket ends because if you don't, you can say goodbye to the rewards you were after. Oh, and just in case the 10 health packs that the devs gave (at last) are not enough to play 10-15 games against 300-350 enemies and 10-15 games against 150-200 enemies, you can leave your money at the door because we like the Facebook "energy" mechanic we see in games.

When The Hunt ended (personal #24 - alliance #103) I decided I am done with pve. The system is broken at its core and no minor change can fix it. The devs have definitely put effort into polishing the game and this is admirable because there are good elements to the game. Animations when the game would be fine without any, cool sound effects (although the sound is muted on my PC because I listed to music when I play), interesting character art, etc. But at its core, it is a dumb match-3 game that thinks it is something much more than that. At this point, I think the only thing that keeps the game afloat is the Marvel theme. Just ask yourself, without the theme, would you put 2-3+ hours each day in amatch-3 game? I know I wouldn't, and I play casually most of them time, spending ~1 hour each day when there is no pve.
  • community scaling was just officially removed you gloomy gusses and glindas
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    raisinbman wrote:
    community scaling was just officially removed you gloomy gusses and glindas
    And? That doesn't change anything about the time commitment, if anything, it makes it worse
  • Spoit wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    And? That doesn't change anything about the time commitment, if anything, it makes it worse
    Maybe for you, its better for me
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    raisinbman wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    Ok, let me clarify that. Worse as in making the top 1/5/10/whatever more competitive. No community scaling makes it easier for more people (read: those darn 1-2* people who clearly NEED the 4*s more) to grind them down to 1.
  • Spoit wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    Ok, let me clarify that. Worse as in making the top 1/5/10/whatever more competitive. No community scaling makes it easier for more people (read: those darn 1-2* people who clearly NEED the 4*s more) to grind them down to 1.
    So the 1% suffer for the good of all.

I won't shed a tear.

You said you don't wanna adjust your life to a video game, then take advantage of no scaling, do very quick, refreshes every 8 hours and Bob Marley it up.
  • When community scaling is turned off PVE will become the gaming equivalent of turning up at a set time and ringing a bell. Then ringing it a lot at the end. Scaling has a lot of problems but this 'solution' is like giving all the kids medals, cause you are all special.

Just give out 4 stars for turning up and be done with it.
  • MarCr wrote:
    When community scaling is turned off PVE will become the gaming equivalent of turning up at a set time and ringing a bell. Then ringing it a lot at the end. Scaling has a lot of problems but this 'solution' is like giving all the kids medals, cause you are all special.

Just give out 4 stars for turning up and be done with it.
    they already did, antman
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    How quickly ppl forget no time slices and 2.5 hour refreshes.

The real problem is that most of the pve is actually pvp with a story. Gauntlet and Ultron have been positive steps in making genuine pve. I got my fingers crossed that mpq is happy with ant man pve results, and they continue the trend of becoming more and more player friendly.

They seem to be on the right path, they just go slower than most players would like.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    Spoit wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

I agree on the time commitment. The last two pves, I would have gotten t10 in the past. Now after I play 30-45 minutes, I lose my will to grind.

It would be interesting for a couple of polls. I'm far too lazy to do them.

How much time do players think they should spend playing per day?

I would be interested in mpq ' s thoughts on this. I would not be surprised if most players (by a large margin) are causal, so the time requirements are only an issue for a small number of players.

More importantly, how much time per feature do they expect is needed for players to do each feature/event per day. On a typical day with a pve (with 24 hour sub), pvp, and dpdq, I'm not sure how that number could be less than 3 hours at the minimum.

We know they monitor this because dwill has mentioned on several occasions the average time spent by players to complete dpdq.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards

I would be interested in mpq ' s thoughts on this. I would not be surprised if most players (by a large margin) are causal, so the time requirements are only an issue for a small number of players.

More importantly, how much time per feature do they expect is needed for players to do each feature/event per day. On a typical day with a pve (with 24 hour sub), pvp, and dpdq, I'm not sure how that number could be less than 3 hours at the minimum.

We know they monitor this because dwill has mentioned on several occasions the average time spent by players to complete dpdq.

Excellent questions. I also wonder how long they think it should take for players to transition to 2, 3, & 4 star rosters.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    I believe the ideal amount of time for a game like this should be to try and hit the sweetspot of 1 hour for casual 3 hours for 'hardcore'.
    Everything more is a huge time demand for those categories. You kinda wanna hit the play a few throughout the day, and steamwise, let it be one of the games you play slap a bit of time on for advancement and fun.

Its a puzzle game at its core, the powers and flashes and collectibles are the draw to make us pick it over others.
    Ideally even the health packs work in a way where you aren't going to have players playing for long amounts of time, even the level scaling based on your characters instead of dedicated level based maps show that.

-all this pve

pvp thats fine as instated, but there need to be more seed teams so there is more points to go around.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    firethorne wrote:

Excellent questions. I also wonder how long they think it should take for players to transition to 2, 3, & 4 star rosters.

I used to spend a lot of time wondering this as well. I felt that there should be a path for each transition with an idea of a time frame of how long each transition should take.

I think the reward structure and mmr changed sought to improve on this, as did of course dpdq. It also helps there are many pves all the time now with covers many vets aren't interested in. 2* and 1* character buffs, and 2* essentials in pve. So, there is a lot in place to help newer players.

However, with no covers vaulted and so many characters in the game, I think newer players may feel overwhelmed in trying to figure out what are the most viable methods to progress in the game. Which (how) many characters to keep, who to level and how much, etc.
  • Agreed, op. At this point, I just don't feel like I care anymore. I dropped pve way before the last season ended, Now I won't bother attempting pvp at all, hell, I've already missed 2 days of DDQ. I simply...don't care anymore. It's just... not worth it. I still have things to do in my real life, working from 8-5, sleeping, talking to my family, social media, etc. The way this game is designed... is not friendly to what normal people do in their real life.

So, now I just focus on playing Heavensward, it's been fun playing as AST btw. And now I don't have to worry about grinding a node every 8 hours or so or having to worry about when my shield will go expired, or if I could make this jump from 900 to 1000 progression points without having to lose 100-200 points in the process.

It's been fun D3, but it's just not worth it anymore. It's a shame cause I've already maxed cover and level 4 *3 heroes which I thought would be a start. icon_e_sad.gif