Why loaners covers for PVP but not PVE

slidecage
slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
i asked few weeks back how many would support a XXX hp for a loaner for PVE and many said NO I worked my butt off for the covers and there should not be loaners in PVE. Same could be said for PVP.

Comments

• CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because lacking an essential character in pve doesn't lock you out of the event entirely.
  • slidecage
    Because lacking an essential character in pve doesn't lock you out of the event entirely.

in a way it does cause there is no way your going to get top 150 so why even play
  • Tuttle0606
    Tuttle0606 Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Not having an essential in PVE doesn't mean you can't finish high in pve. I finished 5th in the first carnage pve without fury, and yes I joined during the first day.

Not having the cover in pve might hurt you for that one event, but it won't lock you. Not having the featured cover in pvp would not only lock you out of the event but hurt your season score as well.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    that might depend on the slice too. some are more heavily played than others (I know slice 4 is tough). my experience is missing one essential is not going to kill t150. might make t50 really hard and any higher - forget it. but I've missed 2 entire clears today in oscorp and still sitting at 80 and I've skipped the last 2 nodes on each sub when I was playing (ok, nobody is playing that, I get it). taking this sub off as a break before the thing event. having essentials sure makes it easier, but a little grinding at the sub end goes a long ways.
  • OneenO
    OneenO Posts: 75 Match Maker
    slidecage wrote:

in a way it does cause there is no way your going to get top 150 so why even play

Ive seen people get top 10 without an essential toon.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    OneenO wrote:
    slidecage wrote:

Ive seen people get top 10 without an essential toon.

I have gotten top 10 without an essential. it is even easier to do early in the game.. when you have the highest chances at not having an essential.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    slidecage wrote:

But in another, more accurate way, it does not.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:

sigh... level past 88 and tell us what can and cant be done in pvp
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because why would players fight to win characters the previous PVE if they can simply have the loaner in the next PVE instead. This causes players to buy roster slots as opposed to PVP that causes players to buy shields.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    slidecage wrote:

More generally, why play the game at all? icon_e_wink.gificon_e_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_cool.gificon_e_confused.gificon_eek.gificon_e_sad.gificon_e_surprised.gificon_evil.gificon_twisted.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_exclaim.gificon_e_geek.gificon_mrgreen.gificon_neutral.gificon_arrow.gificon_idea.gificon_question.gificon_e_ugeek.gif (i like smilies)
  • There are loaner covers for PVE... individual subs sometimes have a node with a loaner "Part of Your Team For This Battle" character. They're separate from the Essential Nodes but they appear regularly.
  • slidecage
    fmftint wrote:
    slidecage wrote:

sigh... level past 88 and tell us what can and cant be done in pvp

whatever. whos even talking about what can be done in a PVP i said PVE. if you dont have the required people your not going to make it unless you can put 4+ hours a day into this game
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    whatever. whos even talking about what can be done in a PVP i said PVE. if you dont have the required people your not going to make it unless you can put 4+ hours a day into this game
    You sure as **** seem to have 4+ hours to post here...
  • slidecage
    simonsez wrote:
    slidecage wrote:
    You sure as tinykitty seem to have 4+ hours to post here...

yes i do do you expect me to spend 4 hours a day complaining then 4 hours a day playing Are you insane
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    Enough of that, please. Any more barbs back and forth and vacations will be in order. The thread itself has had some decent conversation but this current line can go nowhere.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    The thread itself has had some decent conversation
    With all due respect, it doesn't. This thread should've been locked after the 2nd post, as asked and answered. Nothing else needed to be said, which is why we're where we're at now.
  • Huatimus
    Huatimus Posts: 115
    Just trying to add on to the original topic, I was actually somewhat happier when I did NOT have the essential 4* for some of the PVE events. I could easily hit top 10 still, because the 4* essential but useless characters after buff was at level 160 or so and screwing with my scaling. But for what its worth, I'm just speaking from a mainly 94 roster point of view.

If there were no loaner covers for PVP, then I'd be totally screwed out of PVP.

And they do loan you covers for PVE, those fully covered and buffed featured guys to take on that 1 node, to test them out and see how awesome they are if you ever get them fully covered.
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Got carnage times 3 also without fury. Just got three gamoras last night also without star lord.

So it is possible, but you do have a rougher journey and have to repeatedly nail the tougher nodes even when they scale up bad,

Especially for a new release. So I understand your frustration but it does result in greater feeling of achievement when you pull it off. Especially when you look at the rosters of those you have just beaten who have the essential.

Triumph against adversity is always sweet so I would not skip the event without giving it a shot.
  • RWTDBurn
    RWTDBurn Posts: 291
    slidecage wrote:
    i asked few weeks back how many would support a XXX hp for a loaner for PVE and many said NO I worked my butt off for the covers and there should not be loaners in PVE. Same could be said for PVP.

So what you are saying is, new players should not be able to play PvP. They can start playing it from time to time once they collect a few covers, but can't play it on a regular basis. Only once they have amassed a large 3* roster can they play PvP consistently enough to do ok for a season.

Of course getting that roster built up is going to cost them either a ton of time or money. Since they can't play PvP at all, they can only earn HP through PvE. Those roster slots don't come free you know.

So I have but one question. What did new players do to you to make you hate them so much?
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    slidecage wrote:
    do you expect me to spend 4 hours a day complaining then 4 hours a day playing Are you insane
    Posts like this is why you are my favorite. Please don't ever leave icon_e_biggrin.gif