New 4*s to be easier to get. Is it going far enough?

2»

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lidolas wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    i can't even get to 1k yet (came close once) let alone 1300.. with the new 1300 cover, that means many of us are going to get hit way more often then before, making the climb for transitioners that much harder.
    No, it's not. If someone is trying to hop from 1000 to 1300, the LAST thing they're going to do is hit people at 800.

It seems like it's another to change to stop people from hitting 1k progression and then tanking to friends to help them hit progressions as well.
    not understanding how this stops that. now those that can push to 1300 can do that and then tank to their friends.

and simon - it is the last thing you want to do, but if my choices are leveled **** teams or 290/240/240 versus 29 pts from a very winnable match that might happen quickly, sometimes speed matters too. last pvp last season for px cover - towards the end i couldn't finish one match without getting hit and those weren't long matches. and i was close - 930 with 3 hops left. I'm guessing that i just got unlucky and they had me queued from before, but speed matters too and when they only give you the same 5 teams on all 3 nodes and i don't have a wide variety at the top (so boosteds might not be useful, so might be using my 1-166 and a 140), i might take what i can get done quickly, depending on how many hops i have left and where i am in pts.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    i can't even get to 1k yet (came close once) let alone 1300.. with the new 1300 cover, that means many of us are going to get hit way more often then before, making the climb for transitioners that much harder.

One day i will make it...

Also, top 100 is about to get insanely hard in pvp.

I'm not honestly sure about that.
    Before the point increase I'd hit the wall at about 800, so I'd usually aim for 700ish. The really good players would push forward for 1000 and maybe one or two would get there.
    Now the wall is around the 1000 mark, most people seem to reach that point, shield and leave. I got to 999 in a PvP and then smacked down 86 points. I ended up spinning my wheels, unable to kill fast enough to hit 1000.

With the upper ceiling now 1300 maybe people will go for that instead, so the really bitter fighting happens at a higher value so more people can reach 1000 and stop while the really heavy hitters carry on up the scale.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:

I'm not honestly sure about that.
    Before the point increase I'd hit the wall at about 800, so I'd usually aim for 700ish. The really good players would push forward for 1000 and maybe one or two would get there.
    Now the wall is around the 1000 mark, most people seem to reach that point, shield and leave. I got to 999 in a PvP and then smacked down 86 points. I ended up spinning my wheels, unable to kill fast enough to hit 1000.

With the upper ceiling now 1300 maybe people will go for that instead, so the really bitter fighting happens at a higher value so more people can reach 1000 and stop while the really heavy hitters carry on up the scale.

983 is where i got, found what looked to be a fast easy match for 27 points, broke shield to get my first ever 1k.. by the time this 6+ minute fast easy holy hell what a mistake match i won was over, i had been hit for over 100... never got close again.

Now with over 10+ fully covered level 140-154 characters, i am hoping to see 1k this season somewhere other than the Shield Sim.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:

983 is where i got, found what looked to be a fast easy match for 27 points, broke shield to get my first ever 1k.. by the time this 6+ minute fast easy holy hell what a mistake match i won was over, i had been hit for over 100... never got close again.

Now with over 10+ fully covered level 140-154 characters, i am hoping to see 1k this season somewhere other than the Shield Sim.

If you want to hit top PVP progressions, you should really level your characters to 166. Anything lower than max is just begging to get hit. If someone has three nodes of similar nodes open, they're surely attacking you instead of the other two 166 teams.

All the advice not to level characters to the max is hogwash. People are just pansies that can't handle an extra 80 levels of scaling when they raise their own heroes by 50 levels.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    scottee wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

If you want to hit top PVP progressions, you should really level your characters to 166. Anything lower than max is just begging to get hit. If someone has three nodes of similar nodes open, they're surely attacking you instead of the other two 166 teams.

All the advice not to level characters to the max is hogwash. People are just pansies that can't handle an extra 80 levels of scaling when they raise their own heroes by 50 levels.

I fully intend to get them to 166, just a couple million ISO shy. Each event, i see who is featured and toss iso into them.. currently down to 30k iso left, just brought 2 more up to 140 today (Punisher and Gamora). I finally finished Loki, and still need 2 black for Hood.. and my BP has barely enough covers to make him usable on the first grey nodes of a PVE. Those 2 chars are the reason i have not made the jump to 166 on characters the second i can.. for PVP, from what i have seen, Hood and BP are almost necessary to hit the 1k mark for a 3* person, or at least get a couple skips instead of massive beat downs.

If i am wrong to try and level evenly, check out my roster (link in sig) and tell me the first 3 i should bring to 166 with the covers i have, so i have a chance.. and i promise i will do it as soon as i have the ISO.. i am always welcoming of help from vets, and have never been afraid of scaling.

edit: just checked, i have 19 3*'s fully covered how i like them.. and others at 13 covers, but completely wrong configurations. Also, as to not hijack this thread, i am moving the quote and my response over to the tips and guides section, so reply there icon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gif
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    I appreciate this change GREATLY. In the old system, you pretty much knew only 2 out of 500 were going to get the 4*, and chances were, it wasn't going to be you. Now, I've actually signed up for The Hunt event and will actually play it! In the past, I'd just sign up, get started, think about the grind, then not bother with it. With these increased rewards, I'll definitely be running! I was just thinking the other day while looking at my roster with an incomplete X-Force, IW, Nick Fury (one of more recent 4* acquisitions believe it or not), and Hulkbuster and thought just how LONG it was going to take to complete them. This new change gives me hope it won't take years to max them out. It'll require more work, but I'll definitely take it! I would vote it's going far enough, as well as adding MUCH needed incentive to play PVE again for the veterans.
  • MaskedMan
    MaskedMan Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    At least it is a start. Until now unless you are a top Alliance you chances of filling up a 4* were slim and none. The fact is THAT is how most covers are given out not individual play, because those rewards already go to multiple people. As an individual to get 13 covers you would have to come in 1st 4 Times and in the top 50 once. Yeah that's doable.

The problem with the new system is getting 1 cover just costs you a roster spot. By the time they rotate an individual character through 13 times, it would take many years. Not only that but by then there will be dozens of 4 stars characters to collect.
  • Turbosmooth
    Turbosmooth Posts: 213
    A very welcome change! My alliance went through a ton of turn over and seems to be stronger overall. The real test will be if we can place top 100 for Thing. I've never been an alliance that could finish top 100 with any new character.

I struggled to individually finish top 50 for Carnage.
    I've lost a lot of sleep over Carnage and now again with Ultron. I got so overwhelmed, that I didn't notice the time and acquire my needed DPD Psylocke cover last night! That sets back that character for 4 months. I always wrap up DPD even if I'm fully covered correctly for a character.

Finishing top 100 is still a challenge, but maybe I'll be able to sleep 20 minutes more a day.
  • Lerysh wrote:
    The Hunt with Thing 4* rewards preview is up. Top 50 for double covers, so the OP is entirely incorrect in his assumption of 100 to 20 gap.

3* rewards == 4* rewards is progress.

Huh, really? I must have completely mis-heard the June update video.
    Very glad to be proven wrong, here! I thought it was kinda odd to go 100/20/10 for new 4*s...clearly it was because they're not doing that.

So... when I wrote this I was pretty sure top 50 got a redflag.pngicon_thing.png. Now it's top 20. Let the tin foil hats reign I guess.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Lerysh wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:
    The Hunt with Thing 4* rewards preview is up. Top 50 for double covers, so the OP is entirely incorrect in his assumption of 100 to 20 gap.

3* rewards == 4* rewards is progress.

Huh, really? I must have completely mis-heard the June update video.
    Very glad to be proven wrong, here! I thought it was kinda odd to go 100/20/10 for new 4*s...clearly it was because they're not doing that.

So... when I wrote this I was pretty sure top 50 got a redflag.pngicon_thing.png. Now it's top 20. Let the tin foil hats reign I guess.
    I can also confirm it used to be Top 50 which got stealthily changed to Top 20. That's pretty low even by MPQ standard. I think this is the first time they changed a reward mid-event.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:

top 100 is easy if you jump late
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    YES!

I think D3 has actually gone above and beyond in terms of generosity to veteran players and 4* transitioners with these changes.

I've used Hearthstone a lot in the past to compare their F2P models and I think for the first time ever I can now say that MPQ does F2P better!

Hearstone feels SUPER rewarding initially but quickly becomes a HUGE slog as you find yourself desperate for Legendary cards (basically the equivalent of 4*'s) which can easily take months to receive just one. Hearthstone's progression rate drops to a crawl while MPQ's is feeling a whole lot more consistant.

It's an amazing feeling to be a vet player and know that you don't have to spend a dime to ever play this game again. You can keep up with roster slot costs just fine and you'll finish up 4*'s through rewards within a few months. Thanks to the Vault you'll even be able to splurge on the occasional cover purchases since there's soo much more HP up for grabs. Don't want to wait 4 months to finish The Thing? Go ahead and support D3 through an optional purchase.

I freely admit that I'm completely out of touch with other phases of this game by now. The experience of the ** player, ** transitioner, *** player, *** transition are all going to be different but the light at the end of the tunnel is there. I think it's definitely going far enough at least until we get into 30+ 4* character range.