Controversial Ultron Topic #348742098: Is Ultron Fun?

So I get it. Folks are Frustrated about Ultron. If you can, let's put that aside:

I'm curious, is Ultron fun?

Ultron is one of the most profitable, lucrative events in MPQ next to Anniversary and Deadpool daily.

Daily deal tokens for 50 HP.

If you're properly equipped you'll walk away with 6 3* or better covers.

A loot table(the rewards for winning matches) that consists of cardpack.png, imcoin.png(!!!!!), and large(r than normal) amounts of iso.

~~~~

And to top it all off.....Tetris Ultron is actually one of the most "Puzzle" types of fights in MPQ. I would even call it the biggest(and maybe only) puzzle in all of MPQ.

Why wouldn't puzzle quest players want more of Ultron? He's the holy grail of Puzzle Quest.

He's not a cheap boss character who's just a better version of your team.

He's not being spoon fed AP or doing impossibly high damage through sheer force(Countdowns, Goon abilities, being 395).

Beyond surprise match damage, he's COMPLETELY predictable.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    I've been casual for months now. And Ultron is one of my favorite things about this game. I'm in an inactive alliance, so most points are my own and I don't get many rounds completed. But, it's been the easiest and most consistent way to earn hp. I get more hp from Ultron than I do from DPDQ.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    I think it's fun. My one complaint would be that the sentry wave nodes drag on waaay too long. It's basically a lesson in anger management as you watch the AI's never ending match chains after every single match-3 you make yourself.
  • I skip most PvEs nowadays but I do play Ultron, mainly because of one reason: it is as close to actual PvE as it gets in this game. Their competitive PvE system has become a huge de-motivator. Plus, like you said, the tetris bomb level is the best puzzle this game has seen since 5-blue CMag.
  • Ludaa wrote:
    I think it's fun. My one complaint would be that the sentry wave nodes drag on waaay too long. It's basically a lesson in anger management as you watch the AI's never ending match chains after every single match-3 you make yourself.
    the sentries are pretty OP, especially Gunners. Honestly, I think they shouldn't make matches with the amount of board shake they already have(plus no other goons can make matches).

Just glad they don't actually use that AP, lol.

The plus side to this is bringing/Hulk/Loki/Captain Carol will be pretty lucrative.

Personally, matches take wayyyy less time(partly because my roster is better equipped, but partly because of the rotated powered up characters) since I can just abuse Rage of the Panther for kills
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    raisinbman wrote:
    Ludaa wrote:
    the sentries are pretty OP, especially Gunners. Honestly, I think they shouldn't make matches with the amount of board shake they already have(plus no other goons can make matches).

The plus side to this is bringing/Hulk/Loki/Captain Carol will be pretty lucrative.

Personally, matches take wayyyy less time(partly because my roster is better equipped, but partly because of the rotated powered up characters) since I can just abuse Rage of the Panther for kills

Gunners?

Bring Carnage.

Bad side, when Gunners have friends that turn attack tiles into health or crit tiles. icon_e_sad.gif
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    I love bomb drop ultron. I'd just play that over and over if I could. The minion nodes? meh. I don't hate them like some, but certainly don't look forward to them.
  • Buret0 wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    Ludaa wrote:

Gunners?

Bring Carnage.

Bad side, when Gunners have friends that turn attack tiles into health or crit tiles. icon_e_sad.gif

Part of me is just amazed(who am I kidding it's D3 we're dealing with here) they let gunners have 2 crit tiles when they just nerfed Quicksilver from having two, so obviously they understand the power difference but for some reason it's okay for a goon to do it icon_rolleyes.gif
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's too grindy, but it has the best rewards of any event, so I'm happy to have them keep running it. I would just prefer that they don't run another PvE at the same time. They don't run Gauntlet and a regular PvE together, so there's no reason why we need one running now either. Yeah, I totally get "just don't play it", but it's not as if this game attracts people with self-control.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    There're some things that could use tweaking, but overall yes, it's a PvE that doesn't feel like a competition. That's automatically fun.
  • No, I like facing goons and Dark Avengers wayyyy more than facing ultron
    2%
    icon_e_confused.gif
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    edited June 2015
    It was fun the first time. However, it has some glaring problems. Too much board movement by the sentries. Sentries have way too much health for how deadly they are ( so change one of the too). Sentry fights take longer then the ultron fights, should be the other way around. Scales too high, most low leveled allied rosters render useless in round 4+ as they can't beat the sentries.

Just nerf the sentries in half of all stats and it will be funner.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    raisinbman wrote:
    And to top it all off.....Tetris Ultron is actually one of the most "Puzzle" types of fights in MPQ. I would even call it the biggest(and maybe only) puzzle in all of MPQ.

Ultron rounds 1-5 did feel like an interesting puzzle. But in round 6, Ultrons bombs do something like...8 point something, almost 9k. My rounds against ultron with a semi-developed (6 maxed 3 stars, multiple chars at 120 with 10ish or more covers) are either :

a) I get a bad board, am unable to get more than 6 ap in any color or match a bomb, my chars get one-shot/killed by 1 random match and I wipe.
    b) I get a good board, and my chars with various board controlling abilities demolish ultron while I barely take any damage.

I don't feel like I'm playing a puzzle. I feel like I'm playing a slot machine. With any decent team of board controlling chars once you get rolling with enough AP it's trivial to stop the bombs. The only real thinking/puzzle aspect occurs in the first few turns, after that it's almost always either total domination or total annihilation (barring a lucky match 5 cascade, but again....slot machine). So... no, not really having fun playing a slot machine.
  • cyineedsn wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

Ultron rounds 1-5 did feel like an interesting puzzle. But in round 6, Ultrons bombs do something like...8 point something, almost 9k. My rounds against ultron with a semi-developed (6 maxed 3 stars, multiple chars at 120 with 10ish or more covers) are either :

a) I get a bad board, am unable to get more than 6 ap in any color or match a bomb, my chars get one-shot/killed by 1 random match and I wipe.
    b) I get a good board, and my chars with various board controlling abilities demolish ultron while I barely take any damage.

I don't feel like I'm playing a puzzle. I feel like I'm playing a slot machine. With any decent team of board controlling chars once you get rolling with enough AP it's trivial to stop the bombs. The only real thinking/puzzle aspect occurs in the first few turns, after that it's almost always either total domination or total annihilation (barring a lucky match 5 cascade, but again....slot machine). So... no, not really having fun playing a slot machine.
    its less of a slot machine than ares or goon pump, i'lltellyawat
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    I generally enjoy the Ultron event. I don't enjoy scrambling around trying to find a temporary alliance to get any meaningful rewards, though. I'm unfussed about this first run, but if the second run is for a 4*, it's such a lottery trying to get into a temporary alliance with sufficient actives to finish at least round 6.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    raisinbman wrote:

Part of me is just amazed(who am I kidding it's D3 we're dealing with here) they let gunners have 2 crit tiles when they just nerfed Quicksilver from having two, so obviously they understand the power difference but for some reason it's okay for a goon to do it icon_rolleyes.gif

They likely nerfed QS's crit tiles because his other ability allows him to move any 2 tiles anywhere so you would likely move 2 crit tiles to make a 5 match and do crazy damage. Think of how powerful 2* Bullseye black is with his two crit tiles that you can place anywhere!

I like QS's black and green skills but I wish they would of dropped the skill damage and kept the ability to move 2 tiles and make 2 crits instead. He could of been a good support character, I don't understand the devs logic to adding skill damage to new abilities. It's unnecessary to increase AP for a skill that I want to use just for what it does, not for the added damage.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    raisinbman wrote:
    its less of a slot machine than ares or goon pump, i'lltellyawat

Yes, that doesn't feel very puzzle-like either, both are terrible ideas icon_e_wink.gif
  • What the tinykitty is Ultron?
    1%
    icon_cool.gif
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    I liked it, the first round or two. But it is SO grindy, far worse than any other PvE event. You are literally playing the same nodes for 4 days straight, same enemies, just more and more difficult, and the grinding is SOOO boring. While Ultron himself may be the most puzzle like enemy, the sentries are the exact opposite. You can't plan a thing with them destroying columns constantly. If they removed the sentry nodes, it wouldn't be so bad.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wow, that's....a lot of options.

I was excited when I thought it would be 4*. Then excited thinking I'd get easy 6x Venom like we got easy 6x Scarlett Witch.

But Capt. Marvel rewards? And then a second one of these in a row, again? With no changes? I said the second time it's just another grindy PVE, and now we've run it so often already it's become another very boring/repetitive PVE.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like Ultron because it's different than every other PVE. I'm not in a competitive alliance at all, though, so it never has to get too grindy for me.

I enjoyed the first run through better than this one, purely because of the choice of boosted characters.