Did community scaling get turned back on for ISO-8?

2»

Comments

• plz turn it back off....omg
  • Freeze Buddy (Bullseye/2xMuscle) started for me at 283 (highest in my alliance that I know of) when I opened it at the start of the sub. I wiped three times in a row on it. Won on the fourth time with only one character left at half health. 10 minutes later it was up to 285. This morning it was up to 295 when I cleared it a second time. In an hour and 12 minutes it will be ready to go again...it's up to 317.

What part of this is supposed to be fun for us? I've cleared the node 2 times in 5 tries and there's been an increase of 34 levels, or roughly 12%. In Prodigal Sun I'd see my already ugly nodes stay the same if I succeeded but was damaged in the process. Here, I'm getting beaten up like crazy and the difficulty is going up significantly. But hey, the guys with the underleveled rosters are overclearing so they must be having an ok time with it (couple of 94 rosters in my top ten).
  • Malcrof wrote:
    Not sure, but I did end up bailing pretty early (first run, about the 3rd node) due to the levels I was seeing. Of course, missing 2 of 3 essentials and having the one I do have seriously **** made it easier to give up. icon_rolleyes.gif

This will end up being yet another "DDQ only" week for me.

DBC

Hit up the shield sim and build yourself a bagman!

Cute. icon_razz.gif

Although that sounds incredibly exciting, the shield sim cost/benefit ratios are so bizarrely off I mostly just chuckle whenever I open it. icon_e_wink.gificon_lol.gif

IAH, I've actually been dumping all my resources into Marvel Future Fight. It's just more rewarding and fair in virtually every way possible. Health, slots, drop rate for cards (if you saw my roster after only a few weeks? icon_eek.gif ), pvp fight totals are what they say they are, limitless free skips, 10 wins for three 3* cards... I could just go on and on... but I digress.

Just finished my full DDQ, so MPQ likely won't be opened again until tomorrow morning. The rest is just not remotely worth the effort ATM.

DBC
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    tanis3303 wrote:
    If they truly wanted to test the effects of turning it off, they should have left it off for this event.

Running a test in a 7 day PvE with Beast rewards is no way to test a new system. Running a test in a 4 day event where 95% of your player base will be engaged in the prize offered IS the way to test a new system...just sayin'.

I remember saying the same thing.
    Only I used the example of Black Panther's black to get competition going. If you want to see what players will do in a system where we fight tooth and claw, clamboring over each other to get dat prize...don't offer one of the least desirable 3*s
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    You think it's bad now? Sub 2 is 48 hours. How playable do you think it will be working on the same nodes for 2 days?

So glad I quit pve
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Its kinda making me wish they hadn't turned off community scaling now cause I'm finding myself hating this event just cause I've seen how good the game can be when its fair. Just woken up and dont dare start up MPQ in fear of seeing how much further my fights have scaled up overnight.
  • nic13
    nic13 Posts: 87
    I hate over-scaled enemies, but I find that scaling is the challenge that separates the strong from the weak. Events would otherwise just be grindy.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    nic13 wrote:
    I hate over-scaled enemies, but I find that scaling is the challenge that separates the strong from the weak. Events would otherwise just be grindy.

See, to me there's a difference between separation and "go **** yourself," and *community* scaling pisses all over that difference.

That's not to say that some form of scaling doesn't have a place in the game. It's important to create separation on some level but also to keep the content challenging so that it remains compelling. But community scaling is the worst form of scaling. It amounts to setting the userbase at one another's throats - if you don't get what you can while you can, you may come back to find out that the rest of the community has boxed you out from being able to get anything at all.

That might be okay (or at least less not-okay) if Demiurge had continued to create solo content in the Dark Reign storyline (or others) to accompany PVP and PVE, because non-competitive players would have some refuge beyond the 15 min/day they get from DDQ, but when all you have is straight up PVP or PVP dressed up as PVE, the player's skill should do more to dictate their ability to play than whether the rest of the community has hit a particular node 5000 times since said player last logged in.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    nic13 wrote:
    I hate over-scaled enemies, but I find that scaling is the challenge that separates the strong from the weak.
    Strong from the weak wallets, you mean?

Seriously, there's no challenge to facing lv395 enemies. It just comes down to how lucky you are in the opening board and first few moves, and how willing you are to spend when your luck inevitably runs out.
  • Nick441234
    You get scaling in player scaling. The way it should work is that you should face opponents that match your level of roster. As you beat them, the opponents levels creep up to make it harder. Thats fair and thats a challenge.

What isn't fair is when the opponents level jumps say 20 levels despite you already getting beaten by them before the jump or just while you are asleep at night.
  • nic13
    nic13 Posts: 87
    I tried the last pvp too and it was definitely easy, but I'm really not sure if it is testament to how scaling will affect results because it was for Beast results.

While the absence of community scaling definitely improves playability, I dread to see the leader boards for new char pve having margins of 100 points. This implies we must clear on time, each time, and have perfect grind downs, and sometimes real life does get in the way of that.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    nic13 wrote:
    I tried the last pvp too and it was definitely easy, but I'm really not sure if it is testament to how scaling will affect results because it was for Beast results.

While the absence of community scaling definitely improves playability, I dread to see the leader boards for new char pve having margins of 100 points. This implies we must clear on time, each time, and have perfect grind downs, and sometimes real life does get in the way of that.
    How's that any different than with community scaling on? I'm not playing pve at this time but alliance mates are showing leaderboards with less than 600 points separating 1-5.It doesn't matter what Demiurge does, life at the to is always going be competitive
  • Man you guys have it easy. I'm max 124, and the nodes are over 300. That's 175 levels above me. Lvl 250's show "normal" at 125 levels above my higher character.
  • They should leave community scaling off and focus on something more useful, like re-balancing some of the **** heroes that have invaded our rosters and cost us 700+ for each new spot. Community scaling was a dumb idea, as was their choice to replace cover cycling in rank rewards with an RNG system. It's funny how transparent are their motives when they chose to hide behind RNG. It takes courage to accept you were wrong, but in doing so you grow up and learn.
  • I had something like 5 matches this past clear that I had to almost immediately retreat because boards were ****, and the goon tiles were such high damage that a having several undestroyable ones on the board meant game over. Not enjoyable at all.

I like to have the possibility of winning, even if I get an unfavorable board. Super-scaling is just stupid.
  • Arphaxad
    Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    The game is SOOOOO MUCH MORE FUN without community scaling. I hope the devs read this, and ALL the other threads thattalk about how BAD community scaling is.
  • Narkon wrote:
    They should leave community scaling off and focus on something more useful, like re-balancing some of the **** heroes that have invaded our rosters and cost us 700+ for each new spot. Community scaling was a dumb idea, as was their choice to replace cover cycling in rank rewards with an RNG system. It's funny how transparent are their motives when they chose to hide behind RNG. It takes courage to accept you were wrong, but in doing so you grow up and learn.
    PLZ UPVOTE THIS PERSON!!!! HEAR HEAR!!!!
    nic13 wrote:

I have no sympathy for you if you seriously are enjoying the current event vs Prodigal Sun.

None at all.
    nic13 wrote:

More like it separates me from my health packs AMIRITE??????
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    nic13 wrote:

Community scaling on or off this is how it will always be for new character releases, at least with community scaling off those of us who aren't overly fussed and shock horror prefer to not let a poxy video game rule our lives can actually enjoy our precious playtime. Any leaderboard based reward system will always have this issue, just be thankful you don't have to wake up at 4am for a 5am finish like we used to.
  • Nick441234
    God sake, this community scaling is really starting to put me off playing this game now. This latest Florida event was hard enough when you reached the toughest battles but now I wake up to find they have all jumped 20 levels overnight. D3 punishing us for sleeping!!!!