Choose your spending

2»

Comments

• PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    HB easy. You can take him to 5/5/1 with that HP. Better than wheels with just 9 covers IMO.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    If you have Iron Fist at 5 purple or can get him there then the answer is overwhelmingly Hulkbuster.

I've been using both of these characters for a while now and Hulkbuster is flat out superior. He allows you to compete in any pvp regardless of character buffs and featured characters (something that's not true with Xavier since we don't see him in top tier pvp regularly).

The combo works just as well in LR's and in PvE. I will conceded that Xavier is your stronger pve choice but unless this is only mode you play than Hulkbuster gets the nod.

Also, it seems more likely that Xavier will get nerfed should either of them ever get hit with the bat. Reason being that Xavier is part of at least two winfinite teams I'm aware of and Hulkbuster is part of none. D3 has been clear they will nerf winfinite from prior history so it's just a matter of time until Xavier changes. Likely when too many people are using winfinite to influence the outcomes of competitive pve.

Also, Hulkbuster on his own is just a glorified 1-2 punch like 4Thor...he's not remotely broken on his own and should not be nerfed as a result. Your biggest fear for HB is an overdue Iron Fist purple nerf which would slow down that combo considerably.
  • The way the question is set, I feel like there's only one "correct" answer here.
    You're given:
    3/3/1 Hulkbuster
    1/3/1 Wheels
    Enough HP for 4 covers.

Only answer I can see is to put those covers into 2 each redflag.pngblackflag.png for Hulkbuster. 5/5/1 is going to play almost identical to 5/5/3 and still have a high enough level cap to be a good offensive weapon in PVP, and can machine gun down some PVE nodes as well (and hey, black does some self damage to keep that scaling in check).
    On the other hand while a 3/3/3 Wheels (because you're likely going to put those covers on 2 each blueflag.pngyellowflag.png ) can still pair up and nicely help out in PVE, he's not going to be a threat in PVP.

More versatility in a 5/5/1 HB than in 3/3/3 Prof.
  • Considering they are each others primary partner I don't see how their primary partner is ready to go, unless you mean IF for IMHB and GSBW for PX.

That said, I'd go with Hulkbuster, since he is less likely to be changed in the near future. Not that PX needs or deserves a nerf, but that it might happen.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Lerysh wrote:
    Considering they are each others primary partner I don't see how their primary partner is ready to go, unless you mean IF for IMHB and GSBW for PX.

That said, I'd go with Hulkbuster, since he is less likely to be changed in the near future. Not that PX needs or deserves a nerf, but that it might happen.

The only thing that needs to happen is to change Master Plan from 4 AP in the strongest color to 5 AP in a random color. That gets rid of all of the infinite floating head combos.

That way you don't even need to change GSBW's purple, which is necessary to load her incredibly expensive sniper rifle. If they had wanted to change her purple, they would have done so when they changed Magneto's purple.

To be honest, she should be changed anyway... the AI never gets her ability right anyway on D, which makes her prohibitively expensive green almost impossible to fire. Again, she doesn't need nerfing, she needs rebalancing to make her less useless on D. Something like Mystique's blue would even be better (add 7 green and 4 red to the board at random), because the AI wouldn't be able to screw things up, and it would make her pistol less useless.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lerysh wrote:
    Considering they are each others primary partner I don't see how their primary partner is ready to go, unless you mean IF for IMHB and GSBW for PX.

I don't think I've seen a IMHB-PX team, so yeah, you got it.
    j12601 wrote:
    On the other hand while a 3/3/3 Wheels (because you're likely going to put those covers on 2 each blueflag.pngyellowflag.png ) can still pair up and nicely help out in PVE, he's not going to be a threat in PVP.

Was actually thinking 5/3/1 for PX. Of course, the blue PX is the 1000 progression for Sentry (hooray for waiting), so now i'm presuming 5/3/2 is better than 5/4/1, which may or may not be as good as 4/3/3.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    I'd choose HB, because for your 10K HP, you can get 5 covers in two abilities (5/5/1), which will make him far more useful than a 5/3/1 PX (or whatever build you choose for Charles).
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since sticking to OP's precise question is not popular, I will help out. I'd dump the HP into Professor X simply because I love the X-Men and I love his character. Sure, Hulkbuster would probably be more valuable as I play PvP competitively, but I don't really care. I like Professor X. icon_cool.gif
  • Lerysh wrote:

I don't think I've seen a IMHB-PX team, so yeah, you got it.

Really? Because I have seen a ridiculous ton of those two together. Don't know why, maybe because PX literally goes with anyone, and IMHB has small crit potential on blueflag.png . Plus any crit could make 4 red AP which would be amazing.
  • Tannen
    Tannen Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Hulk buster, especially if you have a 5P IF ready to go.
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Go with Hulk Buster to earn your in-game currencies.

Go with Professor X to have fun and party.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    hurcules wrote:

This nails my dilemma. Prof X is way more fun, IMHB is way more practical.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    hurcules wrote:

I have fun with HB, but I'm the sort of guy who goes "WHAM!" when I use Luke Cage's "Righteous Uppercut." icon_e_smile.gif
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    after seeing gsbw/px in pvp quite a bit - not scared of taking them on at all, even with a transition roster. I'm sure he's a blast on offense (don't know - just starting to add **** covers), but he truly stinks on defense. there was one that had enough purple to go invisible (which he needed to do icon_e_wink.gif ) but the ai was saving up for deceptive tactics and he got taken out. and then the ai does deceptive tactics horribly and set the board up perfectly for my thunder strike - was beautiful. so, having not played with them at all, but against px (I skip hb), I'd say hb is the better investment. but I'm way too practical - if you'd have more fun with px, I'd do that.
  • GrimSkald wrote:
    hurcules wrote:

I have fun with HB, but I'm the sort of guy who goes "WHAM!" when I use Luke Cage's "Righteous Uppercut." icon_e_smile.gif

I always imagined it as a 'THWOK!' personally.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose wrote:
    after seeing gsbw/px in pvp quite a bit - not scared of taking them on at all, even with a transition roster. I'm sure he's a blast on offense (don't know - just starting to add **** covers), but he truly stinks on defense. there was one that had enough purple to go invisible (which he needed to do icon_e_wink.gif ) but the ai was saving up for deceptive tactics and he got taken out. and then the ai does deceptive tactics horribly and set the board up perfectly for my thunder strike - was beautiful. so, having not played with them at all, but against px (I skip hb), I'd say hb is the better investment. but I'm way too practical - if you'd have more fun with px, I'd do that.

I don't think X stinks on defense. He is 4* OBW on defense.

He will either go down easy (80+%), or he will absolutely wreck your team. And there is almost no way to control which outcome happens, it is entirely dependent upon board luck. if he gets fed match-5s and purple ap, then you will suffer. If not, he is one of the squishiest (and therefore easiest) 4*s to handle.

IMHB doesn't peak quite as high, but he is much more reliable, since he always has his best asset (huge health) and can turn 3 colors into fuel for his nuke.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:

I don't think X stinks on defense. He is 4* OBW on defense.

He will either go down easy (80+%), or he will absolutely wreck your team. And there is almost no way to control which outcome happens, it is entirely dependent upon board luck. if he gets fed match-5s and purple ap, then you will suffer. If not, he is one of the squishiest (and therefore easiest) 4*s to handle.

IMHB doesn't peak quite as high, but he is much more reliable, since he always has his best asset (huge health) and can turn 3 colors into fuel for his nuke.
    I can understand that. my sample size is relatively small right now fwiw.
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 806 Critical Contributor
    For the purposes of this exercise I would take the HP and make a 5/5/1 Hulkbuster. My reasoning is that build can stand on its own without a partner.
    Professor X is not a standalone character even though his invisibility can be a standalone pain in the neck. He truly shines when combined with another character. Plus as mentioned above the 10,000 HP only takes him to 3/3/3 which keeps him squishier than he needs to be and Master Plan does not give the great AP return that it does at 5.

Now if the exercise was I had 20,000 HP and could max out only one I think my answer might be different.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    hurcules wrote:

I've been using Xavier in current carnage-rerun pve event. Lots of fun indeed. icon_lol.gif
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    slidecage wrote:
    I would sit on that 10k and wait and see why they asked if people would be happy if they did away with buying covers. Hate to see you spend 10k on covers when in a season or two there is no longer a reason to buy covers

I took the survey questions as MORE INCENTIVE to buy covers NOW (if you're inclined to do so), because I read the questions as offering the possibility of removing direct cover purchases from the game. Look at the scoring change in pvp---while it has become easier to reach 1,000 points, this doesn't necessarily mean that the cover YOU WANT will be available as a progression reward. If D3 plans to remove the option to buy covers, then it will screw a lot of people over.