Choose your spending

GrumpySmurf1002
GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Situation:

You have a 3/3/1 Hulkbuster level 70
You have a 1/3/1 Professor X level 70

Their primary partners are all ready to go.

You have 10,000HP. Where do you invest? Why?

For the purposes of this, none is not an option. Pretend the HP expires if you don't use it, or whatever other mind games you need to do to come up with an answer.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Prof X is an amazing support char, all 3 of his abilities are useful (although situational) and can be teamed with anyone at all.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    I chose HB bc I'm more into a direct damage style of play. Prof X requires a lot more finesse, which is fine for pve when time isn't a concern. HB is great for offense, defense and support in pvp, and he gets my vote for that reason.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Wheels gets my vote here. I used to play a lot of Magic the Gathering, and my favorite decks were always clunky, awkward piles that had like 8 moving pieces that, once they all got going at once, could create a game ending loop. So for me, creating crazy, complicated combos that can either abuse Master Plan or protect Chuck's invis-tile while he slowly bleeds everyone dry is clearly the way to go.
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    I would choose HB just for the simple fact that his red at 5 paired with his crazy health make him a bulldozer. You could have a 5/0/0 HB and he would still be usable (you'd just need another way to generate red) so with the current build you have just pump red to 5 and you've got yourself a very usable 4*.
  • My vote is for HB, ProfX is a GREAT support character, but HB/IF is a stupid OP combo. If you just have HB he is still great paired with... anyone. Cyclops buffs his red using yellow. KK heals him after using black, which at 5 gives you enough red for another big punch. The combinations are crazy. He is currently the best character in game.
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    I'd go HB too. I know defense doesn't really matter, but HB/IF is a lot more idiot proof for the AI than PX/SW or PX/GSBW
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would sit on that 10k and wait and see why they asked if people would be happy if they did away with buying covers. Hate to see you spend 10k on covers when in a season or two there is no longer a reason to buy covers
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    slidecage wrote:
    I would sit on that 10k and wait and see why they asked if people would be happy if they did away with buying covers. Hate to see you spend 10k on covers when in a season or two there is no longer a reason to buy covers

For the purposes of this, none is not an option. Pretend the HP expires if you don't use it, or whatever other mind games you need to do to come up with an answer.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:

okay but it all into hulk then.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Situation:

You have a 3/3/1 Hulkbuster level 70
    You have a 1/3/1 Professor X level 70

Their primary partners are all ready to go.

You have 10,000HP. Where do you invest? Why?

This comes pretty close to describing my actual situation. I'm a couple of covers shy on both characters, but that's how much HP I'll have at the end of the current PvE. I just don't trust them not to "funbalance." As I put it in another thread, any cover that's worth buying is a cover that's in danger of being nerfed.

That said, I'd go for Hulkbuster, if only because four covers gets you closer to thirteen. You burn through 10k HP awfully fast buying four-star covers!
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Depends which you like better, PvE or PvP. If the latter, HB. If the former, PX.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    stowaway wrote:
    I just don't trust them not to "funbalance." As I put it in another thread, any cover that's worth buying is a cover that's in danger of being nerfed.

Without getting too off track, I'm not worried about nerfing on these two, primarily because

1) Both are most impactful with an accelerator, so based on history, I think it's the accelerator that's more likely to be in the firing range. IMHB is in a little more danger because he can self accelerate, but nothing like what 4Thor could do with charged tiles.
    2) Neither is dominating the PvP the way previous characters did
    3) Neither XForce nor 4Thor was put into the completely unusable category, despite what you might hear.

The purpose of this more a theoretical exercise, which is why I don't want to entertain the "don't do it!" crowd. It's merely a crowdsourcing of who is perceived as the better investment given the conditions. (which aren't 100% factual to my roster)
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    stowaway wrote:
    I just don't trust them not to "funbalance." As I put it in another thread, any cover that's worth buying is a cover that's in danger of being nerfed.

Without getting too off track, I'm not worried about nerfing on these two, primarily because

1) Both are most impactful with an accelerator, so based on history, I think it's the accelerator that's more likely to be in the firing range. IMHB is in a little more danger because he can self accelerate, but nothing like what 4Thor could do with charged tiles.
    3) Neither XForce nor 4Thor was put into the completely unusable category, despite what you might hear.

The purpose of this more a theoretical exercise, which is why I don't want to entertain the "don't do it!" crowd. It's merely a crowdsourcing of who is perceived as the better investment given the conditions. (which aren't 100% factual to my roster)

If you are planning on climbs to 1k in PVP, HB leveled over 180 is an autoskip for me, especially if 5 red covers... PX i won't skip unless over 220..
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor

1) Don't they both have two good accelerators, though? People like both Grey Suit and Scarlet Witch with Prof X, and while Iron Fist is the preferred pairing with Hulkbuster, Cyclops is pretty good too, isn't he? Honestly asking. That would mean re-balancing four characters in order to "fix" two. Not that it matters to the question you're actually asking!

2) I think the only reason this is true is the rotating buffs, where the dominant pairing changes each week. If we were to return to the old system, you don't think Hulkbuster/ Iron Fist would become more ubiquitous?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    stowaway wrote:
    1) Don't they both have two good accelerators, though? People like both Grey Suit and Scarlet Witch with Prof X, and while Iron Fist is the preferred pairing with Hulkbuster, Cyclops is pretty good too, isn't he? Honestly asking. That would mean re-balancing four characters in order to "fix" two. Not that it matters to the question you're actually asking!

2) I think the only reason this is true is the rotating buffs, where the dominant pairing changes each week. If we were to return to the old system, you don't think Hulkbuster/ Iron Fist would become more ubiquitous?

1) Fist will just go to accelerating others, as would Scarlet. Wouldn't necessarily solve the root cause. GSBW would go back into hiding, but is what it is. I'm not saying it's impossible IMHB/PX are hit instead, just I'm not worried about because don't think it's likely.

2) I don't see the system going anywhere, but I think you'd see these two plus eventually Carnage. I obviously don't have either yet, but my impression is that PX/GSBW is faster for PvP, but suffers from "it stinks defensively" syndrome. So I think there would still be a split, which would save both, in theory.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    stowaway wrote:

Red acceleration involves turning a big chunk of the board red or, in the case of IMHB's black move, directly feeding it.

PX acceleration is more about trying to create a crit tile to fire off Master Plan. That works really easily on O, where GSBW or SW can fill the screen with green or purple. On D, where the AI avoids making match fives to take a match four and where the AI randomly assigns green to the board when using deceptive tactics... well, let us just say that PX acceleration is tough on D. Scarlet Witch is probably the best at it because of her passive, but anyone paying attention to a SW/PX combo will know to pop purple around the CD tile or pop the CD tile itself.

PX is squishy, HB is the opposite of squishy... rocky? dense? adamantine?

I'm far more afraid of the amount of time it takes to kill a HB than what PX can do to me in the meager amount of time it takes to wipe him out.

Again, as was properly stated earlier, PX is fantastic in PvE, where D is never an issue. He accelerates wins in PvP when you can control him, but will only rarely buy you a victory on D (invisibility, Deadpool, Colossus, or Cage are necessary to keep him from going from being confined to chair to being confined to a coffin). A 5/5/1 HB with another accelerator will buy you a skip... a 5/3/1 PX is going to help you climb, but then put a target on your back.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think I go with Imhb before prof. X.

X is great, but by himself, he doesn't do much. He's the ultimate support character, but he really needs someone else to tank damage and cast abilities.

Imhb plays well with several others, but is fairly self sufficient in his own. So if I had to pick one, I will go with the one that does more by himself.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Neat thought excercise. Sadly, I dont' think I can make an unbiased decision since I should be three days away from a max covered HB. My PX is probably months away from maxxed - the covers just fell right for HB.

I'd probably bo with HB - that seems the most useful for PVP, where it is most important to excel at. Also, defensive teams are a great help in PVP since they let you climb higher before needing to hop.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Wheels. Mostly so you can pair him with Colossus and throw the cripple. Yes, Im a horrible person.

But seriously, Wheels. I like his skill set, and cant say how many times that invisitile has messed me up where I took a ton more damage than I should have. Ive wiped to HB more than a few times, but there is nothing sexy about him: its just tank and damage. Go finesse.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrimSkald wrote:
    I'd probably go with HB - that seems the most useful for PVP, where it is most important to excel at. Also, defensive teams are a great help in PVP since they let you climb higher before needing to hop.

FWIW, since a couple mentioned this, I'm still seeing limited to no attacks climbing to 1k right now, and have maintained top 25 (
    Only exception was Spidey, because my matches took forever to finish with GThor/3Thor/Doom as primaries).

Attacks are only coming in after that, but even still my roster is deep enough that I'm 3x200 at minimum, so it's not like I've got a weak defense. If IMHB (or PX) is enough to mitigate post-1k attacks further, then that's definitely a benefit I'd want.