Characters whose absences are strange/laughable?

20three
20three Posts: 371
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I think they've done a pretty good job including all the major players, but are there any characters who are not yet included that should have been over questionable choices like Squirrel Girl and Bag Man? A few that come to mind are the other half of the fantastic four, Ghost Rider, and Green Goblin (Especially odd considering what a major player Norman Osborne is in many events)

Comments

• Squirrel Girl had a brand new comic when released I believe, and has a pretty strong following otherwise.

I agree the other part of the FF missing is weird, especially with 2 torches, but I chalked that up to Fox/Marvel conflict.

Im still kinda baffled we only have 1 active version of Spider-Man to be honest.

But otherwise, I can't think of anyone off hand that feel is a glaring omission.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2015
    Jean Grey is a massive omission.. as is Angel/Archangel. They have been around for over 50 years and have been staples. They will also be in the new upcoming movie.

Namor, the Submariner. Technically pre-dates all other characters in the marvel universe, his 8 page freebie book (google it) is before even Torch.

EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Funnies_Weekly

just to show the history, he has been around since 1939!
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Ghost Rider is a good example... Some of the X-Men such as Jean Gray or Gambit seem odd as missing too. Doctor Strange, Red Skull, Norman Osborne, even Sabertooth (as Wolverine's nemesis for a large part). But there aren't any in MPQ already I wouldn't have to be honest.
  • Where are Mr. Sinister, Blob, and Sabretooth from X-Men? Hell, where are the other X-Men? I want Ice Man, Cable, and Bishop to go with Cyclops and Colossus.

I imagine we'll get Ant-Man when the release of that movie is closer.

I'd like more Guardians of the Galaxy, too. Specifically Yondu. I want to use that whistling arrow. Agent Venom would be cool, too. Get us a second version of him as a hero and get him out of 1* land. He's the only 1* that doesn't have a higher variant (aside from Yelena Belova, but I tend to lump her in as a Black Widow variant).
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well the "Time: 1961 Place: Space" heavilly implies a Fantastic Four character is next, my money's on Ben Grimm.
  • donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Come on, where's the lovely and compassionate Red Skull?
  • Really, any hero without his/her primary villain is an omission.

Iron Man: Mandarin, Whiplash, and MODOK.
    Guardians: Thanos, Skrulls
    Captain America: Red Skull
    Hulk: Abomination, Red Hulk
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Considering the original direction of the story, Norman/Iron Patriot is the first to mind.

They need to finish teams. Thing & Mr. Fantastic are obvious, though one of those two is likely coming soon based on hints. Drax to finish guardians.

Lots of X-men. Gambit, Rogue, Iceman, Nightcrawler, Jean Grey, Kitty Pryde, Jubilee, Angel, Bishop, Cable. Bad guys here as well. Sabertooth might be my most wanted addition. Onslaught, Pyro, Toad, Blob

Silver Surfer, Galactus, Ghost Rider, War Machine. They'll probably save Ant Man and Dr Strange for their movie releases.

And some more villains, especially ones featured in recent movies. Whiplash, Mandarin, Red Skulk, Abomination, Green Goblin, Sandman, Lizard, Electro .
  • The missing characters fall into a few categories:

Fantastic Four related - mainly Thing, Mr. Fantastic, and Silver Surfer - there was clearly some sort of licensing freeze in effect for about the last year; the announcement that we might be getting one of them is the first hint that it might be lifting. I'm reserving judgement until we see who it is.

MCU heroes: Very few now; the most obvious are War Machine and Drax, though arguably Winter Soldier could be included as well (though he wasn't a hero yet) and I suppose Rescue (though she's not in the MCU as Rescue) and the SHIELD characters. I suspect War Machine and Winter Soldier are both going to come out next may when Civil War comes out. Drax may be getting held for GotG 2 or Infinity War. I think the SHIELD characters missed their window unless there's a push coming (in which case Coulsen or Quake are the most likely)

MCU Villains: Clearly not a priority. Loki (and I guess Kingpin) are the only ones in the game; otherwise I think we'd have a playable Ultron, Ronan, etc. I kind of doubt we'll see most of these, unless they get made incidentally like Loki probably was (i.e., not tying in to a particular promotion). I think we only got Kingpin because Daredevil was in the game already and Elektra wasn't on the show yet (and was also in the game).

In short, I think we're going to continue to see villains and X-Men both as about every third new character for the next little while (with some characters being X-Men villains, inevitably), with the other third coming from the rest of the list. I would fully expect to see characters launched timed to every MCU movie and TV show launch, which means we'll probably see (Scott Lang) Ant-Man next month (and possibly Wasp/Hank Pym Ant-Man/Giant-Man/Yellowjacket/etc.), Jessica Jones (and maybe Purple Man) later in the year, and probably War Machine and Winter Soldier next May (and maybe some others; that movie will likely be huge).

Non-movie Villains: They're getting better about this, though there are still a ton of people missing. Spidey's villains are underrepresented, as are Villains as a category. I think we'll start seeing them fix this gradually, though they're always going to lag.

X-Men: The X-Men have the problem that there's are 90 million of them. They've actually been pretty good about releasing them lately - about every third character or so has been from somewhere in the X-Family - but they're also clearly not going to let them swamp the game. I suspect we'll see them continue to trickle out as about every third release. There's at least a half dozen left that are pretty prominent (Jean Grey, Angel/Archangel, Iceman, Nightcrawler, Jubilee, Havok, Gambit, etc.) and another two-three dozen that are just a bit under that level.

Other: There aren't many prominent heroes left, otherwise. Dr. Strange may be the biggest, but he's probably getting held for his movie (and the same goes for Ant-Man and related characters, as well as Jessica Jones for her TV series). Namor may be the next most, or Ghost Rider, and I'd expect both before too much longer (neither is likely to get a movie anytime soon). Then there are massive numbers of b-heroes we may see eventually (Moon Knight? Black Knight? Werewolf by Night? Night Thrasher? Night Nurse?) but they'll probably be held back until the ranks are filled out a bit more.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Ant-Man even has a movie
  • Malcrof
    I think Dethlok would make for a great addition, he would be our 2nd cyborg, only one not intent on killing himself.
  • Aside from the movie cross-promotions, I think we can expect to see tie-ins with the rebooted Marvel comic universe. Some of the players there that are not in the game are the Thing (I think he's going to have run with Guardians of the Galaxy?), who has likely been teased in the "Space 1961" headline. Also Miles Morales Spider Man, Nova, and Medusa (looks like they're pushing Inhumans across the Marvel spectrum).
  • donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    As far as the spider-verse is concerned there are A LOT of characters that could be introduced.

Ben Reilly, Kaine (both in the role of Scarlet Spider), and a ton of spider gals (Spider-Gwen, please!)... though first of all, we need the Green Goblin (classic).
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    While I agree that there are some characters we still need in this game, preferably villains but overall MPQ has done a good job at giving us plenty of characters to choose from. Plus many players complain about the numerous character releases. I would rather have additional story PVE, Maximum Carnage is a perfect example, even most of the characters from the comic are in the game. Once a month we should get a new story PVE.
  • Malcrof
    just hit me.. i see these threads often enough, heck there is a perma one in the characters section.. yet each time they introduce new characters, we get the inevitable "stop with all the new people!" and "how can i afford to roster all these guys"
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Malcrof wrote:
    Jean Grey is a massive omission.. as is Angel/Archangel. They have been around for over 50 years and have been staples. They will also be in the new upcoming movie.

Namor, the Submariner. Technically pre-dates all other characters in the marvel universe, his 8 page freebie book (google it) is before even Torch.

EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Funnies_Weekly

just to show the history, he has been around since 1939!

I want Namor just because I want all three of his abilities to be based on blue (even if the covers are blue, yellow, and green.)

Namor 3*.

blueflag.png Tidal Wave. 14 blue AP. Deals X damage to the other team for every blue tile on the board.

Damage increases for every cover.

yellowflag.png Electric Eels. 7 yellow AP. Deals X damage and stuns for 1 turn for every 5 blue tiles on the board.

Damage increases, required number of blue tiles decrease to add turns.

greenflag.png Water cannon. 5 green AP. Deals X damage and adds 1 blue tile to the board.

Damage increases slightly, number of blue tiles added increases to 3 at max covers.
  • Buret0
    firethorne wrote:
    Considering the original direction of the story, Norman/Iron Patriot is the first to mind.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=30443

I came up with the four distinct versions of Norman for an endgame.

Norman Osborne (industrialist)
    Norman Osborne (Serum Injected)
    Norman Osborne (Green Goblin)
    Norman Osborne (Iron Patriot)
  • Buret0
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    X-Men: The X-Men have the problem that there's are 90 million of them. They've actually been pretty good about releasing them lately - about every third character or so has been from somewhere in the X-Family - but they're also clearly not going to let them swamp the game. I suspect we'll see them continue to trickle out as about every third release. There's at least a half dozen left that are pretty prominent (Jean Grey, Angel/Archangel, Iceman, Nightcrawler, Jubilee, Havok, Gambit, etc.) and another two-three dozen that are just a bit under that level.

Maybe instead of three different Storms and Wolverines we could have had some diversity.

Do they have to pay less for the rights if they just reuse the same characters?
  • Buret0 wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:

Maybe instead of three different Storms and Wolverines we could have had some diversity.

Do they have to pay less for the rights if they just reuse the same characters?

I think they probably pay Marvel for the license, not on a per-character basis. But I don't have a clue. I think the re-use of certain characters was in part lazy design in a few instances, and wanting certain character well-represented in others.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    There's maybe what, 20 characters left that people are really clamoring for? MPQ needs to slow down new covers for the health of the game because once those characters are out people wont get excited for the third tier leftovers. Or the twentieth different Wolverine variant. Sales will drop.