The case for a 3* or better token and 10pack

mjh
mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
with the stream of new character releases not going down and the idea of retiring one out the window, I'm looking at you icon_ragnarok.png , there is an increasing void of useable rewards.

Sure we have DDQ which is a great and welcome addition, but it on average nets me ONE 3* cover a day (tokens give zilch) and out of those I get, I'm lucky if in a week it's
a) a character I need and
b) the particular cover for that character I need.

3* odds in tokens have been increased (twice), sure, another welcome change which still leads to the previously mentioned a) and b) points.

Our next way of getting those covers is through PVE and PVP. Which keeps us hostage to what the devs see as "time for this characters rewards right about now" icon_beast.pngicon_spiderman.pngicon_doctoroctopus.png but icon_ironfist.png hasn't been here since March.

Then finally we have season rewards, oh glorious season rewards. We spend so much time during the 3 weeks or so, grinding and putting in way too much time to keep up a season score for a sweet 10 cardpack.png or 4...and then bam, icon_moonstone.png all over.

This brings me to my main point, we need a 3* or higher 10 cardpack.png
Even if that were available, you could still end up with something like:
icon_beast.pngicon_doctoroctopus.pngicon_blackwidow.pngicon_hulk.pngicon_psylocke.pngicon_sentry.pngicon_shehulk.pngicon_storm.pngicon_gamora.pngicon_starlord.png

so we are back to my previous points a) and b)

discuss.
Stop calling tokens, "packs". A pack is by definition a group something. You either have a single token or a pack of tokens

btw I've seen the "vault" in the spoiler thread and if it's anything like that we will all end up with more rewards we don't need.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    My 10 pack from season progression, for the first time, got me 10 2*'s, 2500 iso... so disappointed, last few seasons were great!
  • Seriously. For instance, the daily PVE battles have rewards of 2x the event token. Why not make this one event token and one 3* token? These tokens could certainly be reserved for very special, highly ranked things, but it totally makes sense to have them.

Of course if people could buy them, maybe that would be a problem... but either way even as a guy who is firmly in the beginning of the 3* transition (only 2 above 94), I scoff at tokens as being largely useless and never really try hard for them. I open them, get some ****, move on. It's nice when I get rewarded with something I can use but somehow even though I have 2/3 of the 3* characters, when I do get a new one it's for a guy I don't have and I have no slots open... haha
  • Azoic
    Azoic Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Yah my 10-pack yielded one LC black, rest 2*. 28% for gold? I don't think so.
  • I voted other.

I think while that'd make the game much more enjoyable for people in the short term, in the long term it would probably shave a lot of life off the replay value. I dread the day I have all my characters covered because then all I have to look forward to is the new releases - if I even like them enough to put on the roster. Then again I've been tracking my pulls since the increase rates and have been incredibly lucky compared to others from what I'm reading on here. I plan on compiling a list and posting it at the end of this month.

Okay back to bed. icon_lol.gif
  • I voted yes.

Frankly, as a 560+ day player (Mystique blackflag.png tomorrow?), I've only been playing MPQ with anything approaching dedication for the past few months, and I'm already getting bored.

To date, I could easily count the number of total 3*s I've pulled from tokens on both hands. Any doubt about that fact could be cleared up by perusing my roster and factoring in my PvE, PvP, and DDQ winnings. That's ten or less 3* cards from tokens, in over 560 days. Granted I wasn't earning as many at one point, but I was earning enough that the number should be a bit different, odds and all.

I'm not interested in whining or complaining about it, but I will say this much, finishing a 7 day event to win 1/13 of 1/84 of the available cards has gotten really old really fast. Winning 20 points while losing 3+ times that amount in PvP trying to hit the T100 has gotten really old really fast. The gambling aspect of tokens in general has gotten really old really fast. At this point, it's a race to see if I will actually finish even one 3* character or just delete the game and move on.

Add the fact that I will eventually come across the "wall of unneeded 3*s" so many discuss in the forum, and it just gets less hopeful.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, without DDQ, there wouldn't be much reason to keep plugging along at this point. At least there I can perform a challenging but manageable task and actually get something known and useful for the effort.

tl;dr: Yes, I would support D3 doing something to meaningfully increase the possibilities of gaining 3* cards.

DBC
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    gotta understand they would be VERY expensive...
  • I would agree with this but they need to adjust costs before I'd even consider dropping money into a pack. It already costs $100 if you want to cover a single 3* by purchasing abilities. Considering my last 2 season draws gave me 1 3* each I'd be more interested in skipping the middle man and just getting all 3*s, but with my luck it would be the only 9 covers I already have maxed out and a squirrel girl.

I'd be more in favour of each token being worth 1 ability for x character, immediately cuts down the **** and stops things like sitting on a 0/5/5 for months.
  • they should have guaranteed 1 Gold(or better) in 10 pack and guaranteed 4-5 gold(or better) in 10/40 pack, that's how it works in MTG
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I voted yes.

Frankly, as a 560+ day player (Mystique blackflag.png tomorrow?), I've only been playing MPQ with anything approaching dedication for the past few months, and I'm already getting bored.

To date, I could easily count the number of total 3*s I've pulled from tokens on both hands. Any doubt about that fact could be cleared up by perusing my roster and factoring in my PvE, PvP, and DDQ winnings. That's ten or less 3* cards from tokens, in over 560 days. Granted I wasn't earning as many at one point, but I was earning enough that the number should be a bit different, odds and all.

I'm not interested in whining or complaining about it, but I will say this much, finishing a 7 day event to win 1/13 of 1/84 of the available cards has gotten really old really fast. Winning 20 points while losing 3+ times that amount in PvP trying to hit the T100 has gotten really old really fast. The gambling aspect of tokens in general has gotten really old really fast. At this point, it's a race to see if I will actually finish even one 3* character or just delete the game and move on.

Add the fact that I will eventually come across the "wall of unneeded 3*s" so many discuss in the forum, and it just gets less hopeful.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, without DDQ, there wouldn't be much reason to keep plugging along at this point. At least there I can perform a challenging but manageable task and actually get something known and useful for the effort.

tl;dr: Yes, I would support D3 doing something to meaningfully increase the possibilities of gaining 3* cards.

DBC

While I'm sure it feels like you haven't pulled many 3* covers from tokens, I would bet that it's more than 10. in 560 days you should have earned dozens of tokens from daily resupplies alone, without counting whatever you get from pvp, pve, daily quest etc. Even with casual play over most of that time, you must have opened several hundred tokens.

less than 10 gold pulls would be astronomically bad luck
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    TxMoose wrote:

I see where you're coming from but I have to strongly disagree.

Currently a Heroic 10pk is 2800 imcoin.png, DDQ 10pk is 2000 imcoin.png, all others are 3800 imcoin.png (daily deal, why would you buy more than one a day?)

It does not HAVE to be very expensive. I suggest the following, all 10pks move to 3* or better packs while 2* or better packs drop in price (1/2 price sounds good).

Remember, even with all gold pulls in a 10pk you can end up with icon_shehulk.pngicon_spiderman.pngicon_sentry.pngicon_squirrelgirl.pngicon_starlord.pngicon_beast.pngicon_daredevil.pngicon_doctoroctopus.pngicon_elektra.pngicon_vision.png which does tiny kitty for you and your roster considering most of those characters suck and you're only getting 1/13 covers.
  • mjh wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:

I see where you're coming from but I have to strongly disagree.

Currently a Heroic 10pk is 2800 imcoin.png, DDQ 10pk is 2000 imcoin.png, all others are 3800 imcoin.png (daily deal, why would you buy more than one a day?)

It does not HAVE to be very expensive. I suggest the following, all 10pks move to 3* or better packs while 2* or better packs drop in price (1/2 price sounds good).

Remember, even with all gold pulls in a 10pk you can end up with icon_shehulk.pngicon_spiderman.pngicon_sentry.pngicon_squirrelgirl.pngicon_starlord.pngicon_beast.pngicon_daredevil.pngicon_doctoroctopus.pngicon_elektra.pngicon_vision.png which does tiny kitty for you and your roster considering most of those characters suck and you're only getting 1/13 covers.
    was gonna upvote you but you talking tinykitty about squirrelgirl/shehulk icon_evil.gif
  • MarvelDestiny
    MarvelDestiny Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    I voted yes.

DBC
    This.

And for those naysayers out there, I can corroborate DBC's experience. I am on day 225 and my token pulls since day one have been dismal. My luck hasn't been quite as bad but I doubt I've pulled more than 15-20 overall with only 1 or 2 of those in the last couple months. I definitely haven't seen any benefit to the increased draw rates.

For those that don't know:
    4* -- 0.3% per character, 2.7% aggregate (9 characters)
    3* -- 0.6% per character, 24.0% aggregate (40 characters)

So, the odds of pulling a 3 or 4 star character should be 26.7% each time... Roughly, that's 1 in 4. Even extrapolated out over a couple dozen tokens I don't pull 3*'s at that rate.

Note: The above rates are for Heroic tokens but are comparable across events. In fact, event tokens are a few percent higher due to the featured character(s). DDQ Taco Tokens, on the other hand, only have a 10% 3* draw rate.

EDIT: I have to mention that I appreciate the devs increasing the odds a month or so ago. Thanks guys! ....Just wish I got the benefit of those odds. icon_cry.gif
  • Vhailorx wrote:

DBC

While I'm sure it feels like you haven't pulled many 3* covers from tokens, I would bet that it's more than 10. in 560 days you should have earned dozens of tokens from daily resupplies alone, without counting whatever you get from pvp, pve, daily quest etc. Even with casual play over most of that time, you must have opened several hundred tokens.

less than 10 gold pulls would be astronomically bad luck

Kind of funny, I was expecting this response. Again I would suggest looking at my roster, factoring out the DDQs, PvP and PvE placement and progression rewards, and yeah, you'd get about 10... out of many, many tokens. How about this, we split the difference and say it could have been 20?

Edited before posting: Actually just went to my roster, and again factoring out what I know I won, the number could be as high as 20.

560 days, how many hundreds and hundreds of tokens, and approximately 20 3*s, and now that I think about it, I may have gotten a Rags and an IM40 from a token (I remember selling them, but don't remember how I got them. It could have been progression, but I'll just assume they were tokens), so there's 2 more, for a total of, we'll just round up and say 25... heck, let's go further and say 30... in 560 days.

/end digression

I guess my main point is, 560+ days later, zero remotely-close-to-covered 3* characters, although DDQ is getting me closer.

tl;dr: Yes, please increase meaningful methods of earning 3* cards

DBC
  • This.

And for those naysayers out there, I can corroborate DBC's experience. I am on day 225 and my token pulls since day one have been dismal. My luck hasn't been quite as bad but I doubt I've pulled more than 15-20 overall with only 1 or 2 of those in the last couple months. I definitely haven't seen any benefit to the increased draw rates.

For those that don't know:
    4* -- 0.3% per character, 2.7% aggregate (9 characters)
    3* -- 0.6% per character, 24.0% aggregate (40 characters)

So, the odds of pulling a 3 or 4 star character should be 26.7% each time... Roughly, that's 1 in 4. Even extrapolated out over a couple dozen tokens I don't pull 3*'s at that rate.

Note: The above rates are for Heroic tokens but are comparable across events. In fact, event tokens are a few percent higher due to the featured character(s). DDQ Taco Tokens, on the other hand, only have a 10% 3* draw rate.

EDIT: I have to mention that I appreciate the devs increasing the odds a month or so ago. Thanks guys! ....Just wish I got the benefit of those odds. icon_cry.gif

Here's the sad thing. While I would love to be making it up, when you're playing with the same 3-4 2* characters FOREVER, you start to develop a pretty keen sense of any kind of changes to your roster.

Anyone want to know the precise date my Hulk became useable? Easy, after I won the Hulk PvE gift (dear God, do I wish D3 did more events like THAT.).

Anybody curious about when my SRCA finally became semi-usable? PvE alliance T100 a couple seasons ago. icon_redface.gificon_e_wink.gificon_lol.gif

My Patch? DDQ.

I could go on and on and on and on and on, character by character, because when you have been using the same 3-4 characters for almost 2 years, you tend to remember any change (like getting a cover) that expands that pool in the slightest.

My roster is getting better, but tokens have played virtually zero part in that, which, BTW, is why I HATE getting them as "compensation." icon_rolleyes.gificon_mad.gificon_razz.gif

tl;dr: I wish I were exaggerating... man, do I wish.

DBC
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards

I guess my main point is, 560+ days later, zero remotely-close-to-covered 3* characters, although DDQ is getting me closer.

DBC
    You are doing something horribly wrong then, I'm on day 299 and I've got 8 maxed and another 20 fully covered 3*s
  • fmftint wrote:

DBC
    You are doing something horribly wrong then, I'm on day 299 and I've got 8 maxed and another 20 fully covered 3*s
    don't be like that dude/dudette.

Tokens are probability.

Probability isn't certainty.

DBC and others' aren't that far off the mark when they say their roster is underdeveloped, because lets face it - DDQ is the ONLY way to actually progress to becoming a 3* player.

I got lucky(and spent money) in that my blade/daken got decently covered(thru tokens and events and Deadpool daily), because otherwise, I'd be using MagStorm like the rest of these schmucks out here. I was a 2* player until maybe day 220-ish 250 ish. That's a long freaking time for ANY game by today's standards to NOT progress. They opened the gate for me to 3* land. NOT tokens.
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    I've been wanting this for some time now, even if it's on a limited basis (i.e. Anniversary week). There comes a point to where it should be possible to filter out all 1* and 2* pulls and narrow it down to 3* and 4* possibilities. PVP and PVE try to help, but are definitely hit and miss as far token draws go. PVP, which used to be a given, has now turned into a shield necessary event for top 100. PVE has gone back to a grindfest and again, token pulls are very iffy. This would be a nice change for those trying to transition to 3* and 4* territory.
  • fmftint wrote:

DBC

If I had also chosen to selectively parse out that relatively tiny section of someone's overall statements, thus removing all context, I'd probably almost agree with your conclusion as well.

DBC
  • raisinbman wrote:
    don't be like that dude/dudette.

Tokens are probability.

Probability isn't certainty.

DBC and others' aren't that far off the mark when they say their roster is underdeveloped, because lets face it - DDQ is the ONLY way to actually progress to becoming a 3* player.

I got lucky(and spent money) in that my blade/daken got decently covered(thru tokens and events and Deadpool daily), because otherwise, I'd be using MagStorm like the rest of these schmucks out here. I was a 2* player until maybe day 220-ish 250 ish. That's a long freaking time for ANY game by today's standards to NOT progress. They opened the gate for me to 3* land. NOT tokens.

Appreciate the support, but don't sweat it. I got accustomed to the "u must suk @ gamez" posts years ago. You can't survive in an online video game forum without dealing with comments like that every now and then. It's the internet after all.

As for your response:

I figured out pretty quickly that spending money was not likely to get me much beyond roster slots unless I was willing to accept spending a LOT of money, so I went with the "spending enough to keep up with roster slots" option, which quickly turned into the "this is beginning to suck" option. At that point I pretty much hunkered down for a looong time, only starting to take the game seriously after the arrival of DDQ, and then only recently (3 months ago-ish?) joining a good alliance and beginning to play with intent.

So, again, my actual motivated period would be roughly 90 days, during which time, like tonight for example (17 tokens, granted mostly Standards, 2 2*s, 15 1*s), virtually none of my progress has come from tokens.

As for your comment about DDQ, and I guess going back to my point, I AM progressing, but tokens have had virtually NOTHING to do with that.

tl;dr: Yes, I would STILL appreciate the possibility of tokens offering another MEANINGFUL way to progress other than DDQ.

DBC
  • Norrin Radd
    Norrin Radd Posts: 65 Match Maker
    All I want to add is that the price for 10/42 packs is so high. They do not encourage small purchases, but substantial investments that do not even have decent chances at giving anything useful. I know they said a long time ago their numbers showed more sales with lower odds, but it could be time to make some adjustments.