Which would you rather?

Arimis_Thorn
Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Playing vs. over-scaled AI characters can definitely be a giant pain. A star.png boosted to way over the max your characters can reach gives them ridiculous strength that you don't have access to. However, by design or by default they are also fairly dumb. The AI does not prioritize match 4's or 5's like a player will, so when they get them, it's by accident. They also do not use abilities in the smartest manner, and abilities involving targeted tiles is just a **** shoot for them. So the AI is strong, but kind of dumb. It's basically a monkey with a gun.

But what if the AI faced the same caps we do? So a star.png is always a star.png / star.pngstar.png , etc.? If D3 wants us to face a level 150 Iron Man, they have to use either IM40 or HB with appropriate covers. Obviously there could be different builds that D3 could use, but they would be the same options available to us players. However, in return for this cap, the AI would be improved to play a lot smarter. It would recognize and prioritize available match 4's & 5's. It could intelligently use abilities that target specific tiles, etc.

Given the option, which would you prefer?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    I think that the AI is already getting somewhat smarter. It still misses the L and T shaped match 5's, but it is now holding onto powers to damage crucial characters. The AI is also using multiple powers like the hood black to drop the counter on Fisk's maggia pawn. The AI is still stupid, but it is getting smarter than when I first played it. It also is seeming to match a non-needed color for itself so that you won't be able to get enough AP to do that AoE damage on the next turn. Skynet is coming, just not here yet.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    What you are asking for with regards to character levels and covers is already in the game. Open the game and goto the "Versus" tab and enter any event. There are no overscaled characters there.
  • D3 will never improve AI....if they would've improved it it would've definitely been when Vision was released(worst AI character)

AI is not a character so AI = no money = nope
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    i've had the AI save abilities for more than 2 turns before my weakest guy was out front to finish him off. annoying.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    What you are asking for with regards to character levels and covers is already in the game. Open the game and goto the "Versus" tab and enter any event. There are no overscaled characters there.

You're adorable. Obviously this is referring to PVE.
  • I don't mind scaled characters as much as I mind the extent of the scaling; it lends itself to different strategies.

I would rather they put in different 3* characters as opponents in PVP, rather than having the same 2* dark avengers for half the nodes. I somewhat liked the PVE changes with DocOck, etc., in there instead, though having Teiatsu with Juggernaut was a little continuity breaking.

I'd rather have new stories with different villains, including the occasional 4* villain. Another story where you're fighting the heroes would also be great.
  • daibar wrote:
    I don't mind scaled characters as much as I mind the extent of the scaling; it lends itself to different strategies.

I would rather they put in different 3* characters as opponents in PVP, rather than having the same 2* dark avengers for half the nodes. I somewhat liked the PVE changes with DocOck, etc., in there instead, though having Teiatsu with Juggernaut was a little continuity breaking.

I'd rather have new stories with different villains, including the occasional 4* villain. Another story where you're fighting the heroes would also be great.
    fisk employs the hand
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    raisinbman wrote:
    daibar wrote:
    I don't mind scaled characters as much as I mind the extent of the scaling; it lends itself to different strategies.

fisk employs the hand

Now that you've put it out there, it's only a matter of time icon_e_sad.gif
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Except for the lv350 HBs I see in every match now...
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Except for the lv350 HBs I see in every match now...

Still not quite the same as a 350 Ares or Juggernaut.
  • blinktag
    blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    You're adorable. Obviously this is referring to PVE.
    Yes and no. Overscaled enemies is PvE, but smarter AI is necessarily everywhere.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    there's a risk to de-dumbifying the AI: confirmation bias means that people are always going to see conspiracies in any run of luck the AI has, whether it's a match that triggers just the right cascade for it, or a board that somehow lacks the critical color you need until the appropriate character is dead, or whatever. Combine that with an AI that knows how to use ALL of the match-5 opportunities that just drop out of the sky, knows how to target a particular character, knows appropriate times to use their abilities (lookin' at you Torch), etc...the rageflips would be epic.
  • I'm ok with a smarter AI. It always amuses me when they skip the 5 match to go for the 4 match. Or misplay a 3 into 5 match.

I'm super OK with a smarter AI if it means no more level 395, which is already an artifact of a bygone age of infinite board loops C.Mags and Spiderman. Even something reasonable like a 270 cap would be way better than the janky system we have now of each player playing a different game for the same points on the same leaderboard for the same prizes.
  • mjh wrote:
    i've had the AI save abilities for more than 2 turns before my weakest guy was out front to finish him off. annoying.
    I have noticed this but I think it's for a different reason. When the AI have more than one power of said color it tends to save for the "stronger" higher cost one, but if after a couple rounds it couldn't get it off then it will shot the weakest.

There's a way to manipulate this in some cases, you wait for it to save ap for the higher cost one then stun the character, then it will immediately use the only option at that time to do not let that much ap with no use. For example, juggs + moonstone high level, you wait till they have like 10 red ap and if you see that moonstone power will hurt more (a lot of red on board) you stun her and juggs WILL fire a headbutt.
  • ShionSinX wrote:
    mjh wrote:
    I have noticed this but I think it's for a different reason. When the AI have more than one power of said color it tends to save for the "stronger" higher cost one, but if after a couple rounds it couldn't get it off then it will shot the weakest.

There's a way to manipulate this in some cases, you wait for it to save ap for the higher cost one then stun the character, then it will immediately use the only option at that time to do not let that much ap with no use. For example, juggs + moonstone high level, you wait till they have like 10 red ap and if you see that moonstone power will hurt more (a lot of red on board) you stun her and juggs WILL fire a headbutt.
    uh...I'd rather have mooonstone waste 10+ ap than juggernaut waste 6 ap
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    sure we get some boosted characters, but the AI gets some BOOSTED characters, beyond where some were designed to go. since this is always human vs AI, the ai increase would affect all games but then the highest juggernaut we would be facing would be lvl 40 and the highest ares would be lvl 96, unless in PVP with boosted weekly, but then it just becomes pvp story mode. i would rather just have PVE be progress rewards with a one and done.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm sure it's noted somewhere on the forums, but the AI used to actually be smarter and they had to make it dumber.

Personally, I would be okay with harder AI, especially if it was it's own kind of event - like a "hard mode" of PvEs and PVPs.

However, from Demuirge's point of view, I can totally understand never, ever wanting to do that, considering how much tinfoil we already have to roll around with the current severely handicapped AI.
  • I'm sure it's noted somewhere on the forums, but the AI used to actually be smarter and they had to make it dumber.

Personally, I would be okay with harder AI, especially if it was it's own kind of event - like a "hard mode" of PvEs and PVPs.

However, from Demuirge's point of view, I can totally understand never, ever wanting to do that, considering how much tinfoil we already have to roll around with the current severely handicapped AI.
    now that we know D3 has kept the AI purposely dumber, it's clear what their intentions are....
  • I'd be happy with a smarter AI if they did away with crazy volatile/dry boards, super scaling, event triggers and free enemy cascades to force health pack use.
  • I'd be happy with a smarter AI if they did away with crazy volatile/dry boards, super scaling, event triggers and free enemy cascades to force health pack use.
    to get rid of dry boards, they'd have to get rid of teamup tiles and make the color formula not random. Not gonna happen.