Please enjoy the changes

2»

Comments

• TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    They announced 10x Health packs. I thought "Fantastic! At last! Something the community has wanted for some time. No-one will complain about that!"

First message I see on the board is asking to remove the 10x health packs. I clicked on it thinking it would be hilarious sattire, but...no! It was legit!

Blows my mind, it really does.

Yeah, well, some people seem to have nothing to do other than complain. I swear if you gave them a million bucks cash, they'd complain that they wanted it in gold bullion.

If you are referring to my thread, you both need to work on your reading comprehension (if not mine, ignore what follows). The thread was not a complaint, and was not asking for the removal of the 10 health packs, as much as it was asking to implement it following the no scaling test. One of the developers' fears of removing community scaling (why we have been stuck with it for the past 1.5 years) is that if that type of scaling is removed, grinding will increase. However, with the change to health packs, there may be increases in grinding, but it will not be clear if that is the result of more health packs or no community scaling.

P.S. And yes, I have since re-watched the q and a video, and am aware how they have set up the test to avoid this dilemma.
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    not to nitpick but isn't this the second time they up max health packs? I seem to remember that it was only 3 at one time (though maybe I'm just imagining thing, who know)

Agree though that it's a very cool change, especially for those of us who can't play every 3 or so hours (or constantly).
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    One of the developers' fears of removing community scaling (why we have been stuck with it for the past 1.5 years) is that if that type of scaling is removed, grinding will increase. However, with the change to health packs, there may be increases in grinding, but it will not be clear if that is the result of more health packs or no community scaling.

P.S. And yes, I have since re-watched the q and a video, and am aware how they have set up the test to avoid this dilemma.
    If you're aware that they've set up the test to avoid this dilemma, why are you still saying it's a dilemma?
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    not to nitpick but isn't this the second time they up max health packs? I seem to remember that it was only 3 at one time (though maybe I'm just imagining thing, who know)

I looked it up, and unless I missed something, it's the 3rd time the cap was raised. The first time it went from 3 to 4, and then from 4 to 5.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I love the changes!

The bigger Health Pack wallet helps the casual player, and the casual player is no threat to the grinders. There is absolutely no downside to implementing it, and no impact on the testing. It increases enjoyment of the game, it gives nobody an advantage over anybody else.

People talk like it's doubling people's healthpacks, but it isn't really. It's only increasing what you can hold if you don't use them.

You can fit 5 apples in your fanny pack. Your apple supplier gives you 1 apple every 36 minutes. You eat the first one, and wait for the next one. After 3 apples you get full, so you start putting them in your fanny pack. Eventually you get 5 apples in your pocket and now you decide, do I eat one so I can get another one? or do I wait until I'm hungry and miss out on more apples?

Now you've suddenly been given a bigger fanny pack and can fit 5 more apples in it. The guy next to you was also given the bigger fanny pack, but he's hungry and has been eating his apples every 36 minutes non-stop.

So far you've each received 8 apples, you've eaten 3 and saved 5... the other guy has eaten all 8.

You are still stuffed from the 3 apples you ate earlier so you just keep putting the next 5 in your fanny pack. This other guy is a beast and keeps chowing on his apples. You have both now received 13 apples, you've eaten 3, saved 10 and can't get anymore apples. You know you won't be able to eat for another 2 hours for whatever reason, but you're ok with that.... you look forward to binging on the 10 apples when the time comes.

2 hours later, you finally have time to eat your apples. You sit down to eat your apples and the other fellow that has been continuously chowing apples all day looks at you and is mad... you have 10 apples and he doesn't have any. What's up with that?

You wonder why he's mad... in the same course of time you received 13 apples, he's received 16 and is almost going to receive his 17th apple very soon.

Where is the inequity? Why is there this mythical belief that people will grind more? Grinders are already grinding. It will not change their game play. It will not make casual people into grinders. You cannot earn any more Health Packs than you could before... you can simply hold more. I get the feeling people are missing that point.
  • arktos1971 wrote:
    There are times to complain,

there are times to say thank you,

there are times to test changes,

there are times to enjoy them.

For once, I guess the devs should be able to enjoy peace on the forums after the effort they made.

In my opinion the 10 Health Packs is the greatest move they've done in the game.

Changing the very basics of the game (since Day 1) so quickly (we complained about the Health Packs only recently) MEANS A LOT, and should be taken as such.

It's still not enough to make me change my mind (waiting on the changes in scaling), but I DO appreciate the gesture.
    wrong, deadpool daily, 50 HP tokens, anniversary event, and Ultron event are better than 10 health packs
  • raisinbman wrote:
    wrong, deadpool daily, 50 HP tokens, anniversary event, and Ultron event are better than 10 health packs

Wrong, all these are new features, they are not changes.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    raisinbman wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:

For once, I guess the devs should be able to enjoy peace on the forums after the effort they made.

In my opinion the 10 Health Packs is the greatest move they've done in the game.

Changing the very basics of the game (since Day 1) so quickly (we complained about the Health Packs only recently) MEANS A LOT, and should be taken as such.

It's still not enough to make me change my mind (waiting on the changes in scaling), but I DO appreciate the gesture.

How can you tell someone that their opinion on a subjective matter is wrong? Must you try to so hard to be so antagonistic?

Also, what Arktos said. Changes to existing framework and implementing new features aren't the same thing.
  • DuckyV wrote:

How can you tell someone that their opinion on a subjective matter is wrong? Must you try to so hard to be so antagonistic?

He doesn't try hard, that's just him.

Something failed in his education.
  • DuckyV wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:

Also, what Arktos said. Changes to existing framework and implementing new features aren't the same thing.
    Lol this guy again.

Until you admit you're wrong I don't have to take anything you say seriously. You did bring a smile to my face so props for that. No upvote though, sorry.
    arktos1971 wrote:
    DuckyV wrote:

He doesn't try hard, that's just him.

Something failed in his education.

Holy tinykitty - Rude, ignored
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lets set aside the name calling and the finger pointing, shall we? Thanks in advance.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lets set aside the name calling and the finger pointing, shall we?
    So no mentioning Kingpin in here?