Why are announcements being made everywhere but the forum?

lukewin
lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion

Yesterday, an announcement by Kabir about the crashing update / compensation and a PVE being ran again with Carnage rewards was made. Not on the forums though.

iOS and Android Crashing Update (June 10th, 2015)

Yesterday, an announcement by Will about community scaling being turned off for Prodigal Son and Oscorp Heroic was made. Again, not of the forums.

reddit link

One of the reasons I still come to the forums, is for info that is about the game, that is useful to me. This info would be nice to find out on the official forums for the game, and not because some forum members lucked into it and decided to share the info.

UPDATE - moving last post into first post
It also looks like Kabir is one of the moderators of the subreddit, so that might be another reason the devs hang out in other places more often, easier to dismiss the trolls. This is a D3 forum. D3 is the game's publisher. Kabir is a Demiurge employee. Demiurge is the developer. I looked on the Demiurge site, and it's not updated too often with blog posts or anything, so it's not a reliable place to go to for current/updated info.

I think the devs also have less time now, since they're developing games for Sega now, as pointed out by Berto_Y in this post. From an earlier post in that thread by Will here, he links to an article.

Pertinent info from the article
Sega Networks did not acquire rights to Demiurge’s popular match-3 puzzle fighting game, but it will support it going forward, though it has yet to be decided on how publishing will be handled.

“It’s business as usual,” Olson said. “They’ve obviously done very well with that game and they have a relationship with D3, the publisher. To clarify, we did not get the actual rights to Marvel [Puzzle Quest] with that acquisition — that’s a separate relationship. But we fully intend to strengthen the title and help it be all that it can be.

Though the game is out of the question, Sega does keep the mobile game engine that runs Marvel Puzzle Quest.

“That was a key part of the acquisition,” Olson says. “With that, we have the engine that runs Marvel Puzzle Quest, and certainly we’re happy to pick that up as part of the deal.”

So, it looks like the game is being supported by Sega Networks now, although how publishing will be handled has yet to be decided. And the game they just developed, does look to run on the same mobile game engine as MPQ. I assume the time that they had to interact with us on the D3 forums has been cut into by them having to work on MPQ and Sega titles. I could be wrong, but if I'm right, I really can't blame them for interacting less here. As if the amount of complaints / whining about any change, positive or negative wasn't enough to keep them away, they probably have legitimate reasons for doing so, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and not totally fault the devs for game announcements not being made on the D3 forums.

Comments

• JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Same thing with Ultron, we had more info about the event from other sources than the 'Official' Forum...
  • esoxnepa
    esoxnepa Posts: 291
    The information on the scaling was in the video.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    esoxnepa wrote:

And there's a post from Kabir (though buried in a thread) about the crash update.
  • lukewin
    esoxnepa wrote:

Not about which events, which is new info, that was posted on reddit.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    esoxnepa wrote:
    The video didn't specify which events would be the test events. I have yet to find an announcement on this site that says what the actual events being tested are aside from Lukewin quoting another site.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    The forums represent a pretty small number of actual players. Reddit on the other hand, has hundreds of thousands of users, and is more likely to reach a larger number of people.

As for their site? Why wouldn't they post it there first? Check the times.. he put the link here as soon as it was up on their website.
  • They also failed to mention the PVP loaner change which would have made a lot of people happy.

I do agree that it would be nice to get announcements as separate threads.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    daibar wrote:
    They also failed to mention the PVP loaner change which would have made a lot of people happy.

I do agree that it would be nice to get announcements as separate threads.

What PVP loaner change?
  • Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker

What PVP loaner change?

I think the loaner you can use now can have a different power. I was using a blade loaner during the seed teams on his PVP. First time I used him, I had the black power, second time, I had the purple power.
    I had never seen this happen before, but I guess they made it so the power in your loaner will be random.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had never seen this happen before, but I guess they made it so the power in your loaner will be random.

My understanding is it's based on the node you choose. Top is one color, left is a second, right is a third, not sure if that is random or static relative to the character.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    lukewin wrote:
    Because no matter what the announcement, good or bad for the game, people will endlessly complain on here about it. It's getting to be both sad and funny.

Character changed for the better? People complain.

Free stuff for game issues? People complain.

More points from VS matches? People complain.

More free health packs? People complain.

People complaining about stuff? People complain.

People complaining about people complaining about stuff? Jamie Madrox.

Honestly; I'm surprised there's ANY engagement from the red names on these forums anymore.
  • lukewin
    lukewin wrote:
    Because no matter what the announcement, good or bad for the game, people will endlessly complain on here about it. It's getting to be both sad and funny.

Honestly; I'm surprised there's ANY engagement from the red names on these forums anymore.

I agree with all your points. I wouldn't ask for anyone to sit down and discuss the announcements, but I wouldn't mind if they just made an announcement, and took off, leaving the people to dissect / critique / speculate / complain about the announcement.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards

When I read the title of this thread, this is the first thing I thought.

Then, to counter that, I thought - don't they realize if they abandon the forums, the complaints will just spread to a place they can't control? I think they'd want to keep as much info as they can on a forum where the mods can edit/modify/spoiler/delete comments as necessary.

It's not that much new info, but it is a little - it would be nice to see the exact same text posted in "News and Announcements" that is placed elsewhere. It might be to their benefit to put it elsewhere and link the original to the forums, to change/add to the community here.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    lukewin wrote:

If announcements are going to be made elsewhere, and they dont even bother to copy them to here, why even have an OFFICIAL forum?

There has been barely any engagement from Reds over the last few months so the drought of the last week has been barely noticeable.

As for the list......changes will ALWAYS benefit some at the expense of others, so yes, people can and SHOULD voice their opinions. And there have been a lot of good suggestions here about better ways to do things....that get ignored. Can people here get whiny and overdo the complaining? Yes. Definitely. And maybe its just me, but I think it is MUCH better than them disengaging.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    i say all announcements heretofore should be made via live podcast only. You miss it, you will just have to be surprised.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Wow. That subreddit is...different. Unspoiled? Fresh faced? Felt like looking in on a kindergarten class.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    They make plenty of announcements on the forum. I've seen them. icon_razz.gif
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    lukewin wrote:

Been saying this for a while.

Anyway, that reddit announcement is confirmation that this PVE experiment is removing only community scaling, blargh. Thankfully, he ended saying that they are considering personal scaling separately as well.
  • lukewin wrote:

Give us back the down vote and there will be a little less complaining, lol icon_e_biggrin.gif
    Serious request though.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    lukewin wrote:

Agree there is lots of drama on here these days, but honestly quite a bit of the negativity could be solved my more communication by the reds -> not looking for them to post day and night, but going silent for weeks at a time for anything except major bug/fixes doesn't really help. I can quickly skim through the whining posts (my own included) to find the stuff that's most interesting, I would think other professionals could do the same for whatever feedback they are looking to get.

I actually doubt they are avoiding to post here because of negativity, though if that's true it's really sad. So, I think it's just a lack of process or protocol, which is also not good, but should be correctable. Perhaps Hi-Fi can whip the team into shape and ensure he gets the news first so he can be sure it gets posted here.