Top 50

Raffoon
Raffoon Posts: 884
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Looks like 95% of players (950 out of 1000) get to be disappointed that they get no Carnage...... yay?

Comments

• 95% of players should try harder, according to D3 Logic a la Ultron *kappa* icon_evil.gif
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's been this way for every 4* release so far. No reason to expect why Carnage would be different.

Now only the top 5 getting 1 or 2 red covers, I don't know whether that's a good or a bad thing, but it's pretty typical for our lovable prankster god, RNGsus.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Der_Lex wrote:
    It's been this way for every 4* release so far. No reason to expect why Carnage would be different.

Now only the top 5 getting 1 or 2 red covers, I don't know whether that's a good or a bad thing, but it's pretty typical for our lovable prankster god, RNGsus.

It's always been a bad idea. I don't expect it to be any different this time, but I reserve the right to bring up how bad of an idea it is every time it happens.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    The reality is that even with the 4* characters I have, I'm never going to get enough covers in any of them to matter, so I just don't care that much about Carnage.

If Carnage becomes the next meta and my recent ability to hit 600 or so in PVP dissipates, well, I wasn't playing PVP much before the recent changes anyway. I'd just go back to playing PVE and DDQ like I had been, and nothing really changes for me. If I can still hit 300-400 with regularity and the occasional 500-600, then Carnage still hasn't impacted me.

Where Carnage matters in a Top 50 context is going to be almost exclusively high-end PVP players, I suspect.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Raffoon wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:

It's always been a bad idea. I don't expect it to be any different this time, but I reserve the right to bring up how bad of an idea it is every time it happens.

Sure, everyone has a right to vent. And who knows, it might even lead to a change, like how the alliance cover was expanded to top 100 from top 50. But considering that in any other event a 4* placement reward is only awarded to the guy or gal in the top spot, the devs probably think giving a cover to 50 people instead of one is generous enough.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2015
    Raffoon wrote:
    Looks like 95% of players (950 out of 1000) get to be disappointed that they get no Carnage...... yay?
    Actually...yes. Yay.

Maybe you're forgetting how things USED to be but we never even had 4* pve's back in the day. It was just top 2 or nothing. Now it's top 50, top 100 alliance, tokens and substantially easier to achieve pvp progression reward with the inevitable season cover.

Carnage covers will be more challenging to obtain that HB because no ultron event but it's no nearly as grim as your post suggests.

That being said I will echo what I've always thought when it comes to ANY new character release. D3 should make all 3 initial covers part of the easy to obtain pve progression system so that 100% of the player base can easily win them. This is naturally great for players but also boosts profits through roster slot purchases and whaling out earlier than expected.

You could then run the rest of the PvE with standard top 2 cover only and maybe maintain the alliance top 100 cover.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Raffoon wrote:

It's closer to 75% disappointment (150 out of 200). 80% of players have no chance at him anyway.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    think of it this way 95% of players dont have to spend 800+ coins for a roster slot for this goofball

and what better its 7 days BUT WAIT THERES MORE your going to have to play 3 PVP at the same time this event is running what more fun can this game bring you
  • babinro wrote:
    Raffoon wrote:
    Actually...yes. Yay.

Maybe you're forgetting how things USED to be but we never even had 4* pve's back in the day. It was just top 2 or nothing. Now it's top 50, top 100 alliance, tokens and substantially easier to achieve pvp progression reward with the inevitable season cover.

Carnage covers will be more challenging to obtain that HB because no ultron event but it's no nearly as grim as your post suggests.

That being said I will echo what I've always thought when it comes to ANY new character release. D3 should make all 3 initial covers part of the easy to obtain pve progression system so that 100% of the player base can easily win them. This is naturally great for players but also boosts profits through roster slot purchases and whaling out earlier than expected.

You could then run the rest of the PvE with standard top 2 cover only and maybe maintain the alliance top 100 cover.
    They're not gonna do that....look at what happened to the old cover pack system(guaranteed cover of X character).

They're doing it for the $ icon_evil.gif $ icon_evil.gif $ icon_evil.gif $ icon_evil.gif $ icon_evil.gif $ icon_evil.gif $

I'm still surprised they gave us Deadpool daily....I wonder if I'll ever wake up and find Deadpool daily was just a dream(1 cover a day for 30 mins worth of work!!?!?!?)
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've given up this crusade. Every 4* that's been released like that I'm out there with my sandwich board, marching up and down the streets.

They finally went to T150 for alliances, but keep their stingy T50 for players despite an incredible release rate for 4*'s and an incredibly low drop rate - so you basically never see these covers again.

The events happen once, the rewards are never seen again in PVE - T150 to remove any confusion and align the events! (oh, wait, I've given up)
  • SnowcaTT wrote:
    I've given up this crusade. Every 4* that's been released like that I'm out there with my sandwich board, marching up and down the streets.

They finally went to T150 for alliances, but keep their stingy T50 for players despite an incredible release rate for 4*'s and an incredibly low drop rate - so you basically never see these covers again.

The events happen once, the rewards are never seen again in PVE - T150 to remove any confusion and align the events! (oh, wait, I've given up)
    it's only t100 alliances, but at least they're not being stingy about 2*Bullseye greenflag.png if you're into that
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Even missing multiple hours due to being unable to connect, i am still in the top 20.. so it shouldn't be to awful hard..

that said, once they fix all the connection issues, i expect it to get much much more difficult to maintain.

But since i can only do 1 , sometimes 2 matches before the game loses connection.. i would not give up hope on getting a t50
  • Raffoon wrote:
    Anything less would be uncivilized.
  • You may discover that 95% of players don't want Carnage.

Maybe.

95% of this player doesn't want Carnage.

The other 5% thinks he looks cool.
    Yeah I can do without him too. He can sit with Sentry in my "don't have enough health packs to play with you" bench
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't understand. So all players should get him? Or where would you draw the line without pissing off the people left right under line? Then what would make him or any other 4* special?
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    As a player who currently has a shot at top 5 in his bracket, I am ambivalent about this Carnage character. On the one hand, it'll be essential for the next pve event, and I'll be paying 1,050 hp to buy my 84th slot for him. Since he's a 4*, I don't expect to get more covers for him beyond the iso brotherhood event and the subsequent pvp event in the near future.

But to maintain my placement, I need to grind 2-3 hours per sub. Over 7 days, that's 20 hours or a part time job. Is Carnage really worth the effort? icon_eek.gificon_e_surprised.gificon_e_confused.gificon_lol.gif
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    puppychow wrote:
    As a player who currently has a shot at top 5 in his bracket, I am ambivalent about this Carnage character. On the one hand, it'll be essential for the next pve event, and I'll be paying 1,050 hp to buy my 84th slot for him. Since he's a 4*, I don't expect to get more covers for him beyond the iso brotherhood event and the subsequent pvp event in the near future.

But to maintain my placement, I need to grind 2-3 hours per sub. Over 7 days, that's 20 hours or a part time job. Is Carnage really worth the effort? icon_eek.gificon_e_surprised.gificon_e_confused.gificon_lol.gif

Oh dear God. That just gave me some perspective, which I was losing because I'm top 10 right now. Yeah, no. Completely not worth it.
  • Taganov wrote:
    puppychow wrote:

Oh dear God. That just gave me some perspective, which I was losing because I'm top 10 right now. Yeah, no. Completely not worth it.
    ahhahaha good for u icon_mrgreen.gif
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've stopped chasing new characters, choosing to concentrate on the ones i have
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    raisinbman wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:

it's only t100 alliances, but at least they're not being stingy about 2*Bullseye greenflag.png if you're into that

Well I, for one, will be quite happy to walk away from this event with a icon_bullseye.pnggreenflag.png. I certainly wasn't having any luck with tokens on that end...