ISO-8 Brotherhood and Carnage Launch

Buret0
Buret0 Posts: 1,591
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Just saw the ISO-8 Brotherhood event populate.

Fury as the required 4*? Didn't we /just/ have Fury as the required 4* like two events ago?

Other two essentials are 2uman 2orch and IM40.

Top 50 get a Carnage. Top 10 to get the only Carnage cover that is going to matter.

Final progression reward is a bloody IM40 Blue cover.

Token pulls are garbage. 0.3% chance of pulling a Carnage, even in a 10 pack on a new 4* release? At least you gave everyone a chance to get a Hulkbuster.

Looks like I'll get to take this event off. GG MPQ.

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buret0 wrote:
    Just saw the ISO-8 Brotherhood event populate.

Fury as the required 4*? Didn't we /just/ have Fury as the required 4* like two events ago?

Other two essentials are 2uman 2orch and IM40.

Top 50 get a Carnage. Top 10 to get the only Carnage cover that is going to matter.

Final progression reward is a bloody IM40 Blue cover.

Token pulls are garbage. 0.3% chance of pulling a Carnage, even in a 10 pack on a new 4* release? At least you gave everyone a chance to get a Hulkbuster.

Looks like I'll get to take this event off. GG MPQ.

The 0.3% is normal for the launch event, the 2nd event where he is an essential is where the pull rates are higher, same with his pvp

last event was IMHB, before that IW.. so no, it was not fury.

Slices seem small, so a decent chance at a carnage cover.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    At least the 50+ cover isn't another freaking Mohawk or Daredevil.

That said, Carnage is absolutely the most thoughtless character design we've seen in a year and this event should have been pulled altogether for a rework.
  • Buret0
    Malcrof wrote:
    last event was IMHB, before that IW.. so no, it was not fury.

Slices seem small, so a decent chance at a carnage cover.

Gauntlet was IW, but I think only for the final node, wasn't it?

IMHB for Juggs.

Electra was for Deadpool vs.

That seven day Hulk adventure was Fury, which only ended May 21st.

So they aren't exactly rotating the 4*s.
  • I would argue that Carnage is EXACTLY the character they want. Facing him FORCES you to either buy more roster spots and level up ALL the 3*s, or it forces you to spend money on Healthpacks. Seems like in a PayToCompete world, he is the perfect character.
  • Malcrof
    This forum is seriously becoming so negative lately... the next update needs to include a free year of Zoloft.

If you don't like the character.. skip the events he is in.. noone is forcing you to play.. and i know quite a few people who do not spend a penny and love the game, and do well (some are RL friends in my alliance).....
  • CrookedKnight
    I don't dislike the character because I don't want him on my roster, I dislike the character because he's going to wreck the meta. What am I supposed to do, opt out of PvP entirely? I mean mean, I could just uninstall the game, but I'd rather it be fun.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:
    This forum is seriously becoming so negative lately... the next update needs to include a free year of Zoloft.

If you don't like the character.. skip the events he is in.. noone is forcing you to play.. and i know quite a few people who do not spend a penny and love the game, and do well (some are RL friends in my alliance).....

With all due respect, telling people to basically shut up never works. People are cranky and unhappy. They *care* and that's why they're still here. If it upsets you to see that (and I get that) just ignore those threads. Considering the current state of the game it doesn't take much to set people off on a negative bent. Telling them to skip it doesn't really help and just gets people's backs up. It's not the event in a vacuum that's the problem. The structure does have some lingering issue, the character has problems and the rewards because of the character are problematic as well. Not to mention the overall sense that the game is sort of ... dying.

Just my $0.02
  • Buret0
    Carnage's Red is game-breakingly poorly thought out.

It is probably for the best if they only gave that cover out to the top 1-2 in any slice. icon_e_smile.gif
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:

It's not a hatred for the event, or even necessarily the character, but for the fact that the next however many months of PvP before his inevitable nerf will be Puzzle Quest: CarnageBuster. Then they'll nerf him (and possibly Hulkbuster too for good measure) everyone will riot, threaten to sue, rage quit etc etc, and then a whole new set of players will rotate in and the cycle will begin again with the next obvious, must have, meta game defining character/character pair. They'll sell tons of covers, nerf the characters, lather, rinse and repeat. We're not sick of the events, the characters or the game. We're sick of the cycle, and they're not even really trying to hide it anymore. If that red power doesn't SCREAM broken to you, then we're playing two very different Puzzle Quest games...
  • Malcrof wrote:

I would argue that I am not being negative on this point, just stating facts. Based on the moves and updates this year:
      Higher Hit points for all non-support characters All of the Characters introduced have High AoE damage/Strike tiles (except Kingpin I believe) Both characters introduced that Do not have AoE have a massive damage ability that is relatively cheap and feeds itself.(Kingpin & Hulkbuster) Removed "True healer" characters Made huge MMR change Scaled all events based on your full roster (even if they lock out 60% of it) Have community scaling that you cannot effect in any way. Introduced weekly buffed characters Changed point system

These are the ones I thought of off the top of my head. All of these lead you to buy more Health packs or more roster spots to focus on maxing a larger roster.
      High AoE damage means you need multiple teams. More strike tiles means you may lose one person per battle. No True healing means you will win the battle but they win the war MMR change means if you want to have any chance on defense you have to use your best characters Weekly buffed characters means when you don't have them that week your scrambling trying to level them to a usable state Point system is a double edged sword. You lose way more on defense but you gain way more on offense. This promotes shield buying

I am just listing what has happened. If it's negative then feel free to go through that list of changes and show the positives. I am smart enough to admit I am wrong.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:

CrookedKnight is right. People who don't like this character (of which I am one) don't like him because of the effect that he will have on the metagame, especially in high-end pvp. That has nothing to do with ISO-8 Brotherhood, or any particular pve event. And once released, he will be EVERY pvp event, because he will be far and away the best possible defensive character in the game (and quite possible one of the best offensive pvp characters too, given how quickly he can pump out damage).

In game where (1) speed of victory is the most important element of achieving high pvp scores, and (2) recent changes have, by demiurge's own statements, increased average game length by approximate 30%, releasing a new character that can do 8.5k damage for a mere 7 ap is a massive shift to the meta. And of course, the fact that this character ALSO does 3.6k damage to teammates, thereby requiring more spending on healthpacks isn't so much a disincentive to play this character, it's just a paywall for top pvp performance.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    from the PVE thread
    mjh wrote:
    All I know is redflag.png better be the alliance reward

OP to say the least

If greenflag.png is instead, it's way too coincidental to call RNG. They pre-nerfed it when it's his weakest ability. No way that wouldn't be deliberate

edit: This might very well be the last straw. It's exactly as I predicted it. No way this cover distribution is RNG
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:

If you don't like the character.. skip the events he is in..
    Basically, you're saying don't play PvP anymore.
  • Malcrof
    simonsez wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

Oh look, a skip button!
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think since they start 4 3 2

Women, Vis, Thor
    Fury collus. wolv.
    X force, dakken mag
    Eltr. Bullseye moon
    Hulkbuster black pant, storm
    Fury, Ironman, Torch

guessing next
    Carn, mag, bulls
  • CrookedKnight
    Malcrof wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

Oh look, a skip button!

Yeah, that was really good for finding teams without the broken character du jour during the Age of the Sentry.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    malcrof: I don't understand how you think the skip button is a solution to a broken character. It's fine if you don't think carnage is broken. I'm sure someone could make an argument to that effect. But if he is broken, then no possible amount of skipping would solve the problem in pvp, where players choose what opposing lineups you face. Players WILL gravitate to broken characters, that has been shown time and again in this game (rags, then 2* wolvie, then spidey, then cmags, then sentry, then thorverine).
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2015
    I was all ready to go for a three day PVE for a 4*!

Wait, that's a 7 day? With an IM progression? And if you miss it you get a 3* cover that I've had five of for almost a year, while you haven't given his red (base reward) for at least eight months?

Horray, an easy week off! Oh, and delaying selling yet another fully maxed 2* to get a worthless (since we'll never see a 4* transition possibility apparently) undercovered 4* character on the roster instead. There are positives out of this! Stay positive everyone!
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    SnowcaTT wrote:

Wait, that's a 4 day?

Unless I'm nutty (possible), this is a joyous 7 day event.
  • SnowcaTT wrote:

Wait, that's a 4 day?

Unless I'm nutty (possible), this is a joyous 7 day event.

Most of which I will be on a Cruise ship in the Carribean!! Screw you Carnage, I am going to the beach.