New MMR changes mean that defensive wins are pointless

2»

Comments

• I would much rather see them do something else entirely not point-related for defensive wins. What if winning on defense gave you a 30 minute shield? And if you already have one, just extended it? That way running a strong defensive team could actually wind up protecting your score.

Being immune to attacks for 30 minutes would probably be worth quite a bit of saved points in missed attacks, but isn't really exploitable. If you want all of your friends to queue you and retreat, congratulations on your free shield...you've saved 75HP but haven't moved up the leaderboard.
  • I would much rather see them do something else entirely not point-related for defensive wins. What if winning on defense gave you a 30 minute shield? And if you already have one, just extended it? That way running a strong defensive team could actually wind up protecting your score.

Being immune to attacks for 30 minutes would probably be worth quite a bit of saved points in missed attacks, but isn't really exploitable. If you want all of your friends to queue you and retreat, congratulations on your free shield...you've saved 75HP but haven't moved up the leaderboard.

I love this idea. There is no way they are going for it. Shields are a huge driver of revenue.

That actually makes sense and would entail D3/Demiurge knowingly giving away something meaningful and useful without an attached gambling component, sooo... icon_e_wink.gificon_lol.gif

DBC
  • Aidonis wrote:
    So you would like to gain points at 930...because your team beat a person at 325....

Really?

Like for realz? Man.

You know what is even more stupid? Losing a 50 points when you are sitting at 930 and you are attacked by someone at 325.
  • cuviper
    cuviper Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    Eddiemon wrote:
    The issue is that all those sports are symmetric with a limited league of games. In order for my team to get 3 points in the match yours has to get zero. There is no option for us to both get 3. Whereas here there is asymmetry, my beating you doesn't use up that match on the fixture, and you can come back and beat me later. So that penalty of no points from a finite fixture converts into negative points from an essentially infinite set of fixtures.
    Aha, I hadn't considered how an unbounded number of matches affects this -- thanks!