Which characters need to be improved?

There are several really bad characters in the game, which ones do you think should be improved, and how?

Here's my own list:

Beast
Better than before but still not good. His blue is finally useful but green does way too small damage for that cost, especially since you need to collect blue first to make green better. His yellow is just...well, bad. Healing? It's seldom useful since you NERFED the whole healing concept, so please rethink this. In the comics, Beast is strong, agile, fast and downright dangerous, but in the game he does what? Heal people? Get protect tiles from blue and yellow? No, please. In all essence, he's a stronger but less lethal version of Wolverine, without regeneration.

Iron Man Model 40
One of the oldest characters and he has never been especially good. His abilities cost way too much and do way too little damage. Sure, you get extra AP but you can collect 13 red or 20 blue faster than you can collect 8-14 yellow, then wait for a good enough board (no matchable yellow tiles) to activate it, then wait for the countdowns to resolve and then wait for the stun to wear off. One idea would be to skip the countdown tiles entirely and just let him stun himself, but even then, his other abilities are just too costly and weak. Red should have higher damage or lower cost, and no AP drain. Blue should have higher damage or way lower cost, and no AP drain. Yellow should be less costly overall and faster overall. Here's an idea to work with: 5 redflag.png costs 14 AP, deals 5000 damage, no AP drain. 5 blueflag.png costs 16 AP, deals 4000 damage to all enemies, no AP drain. 5 yellowflag.png costs 9 AP, stuns for 2 turn, and instantly generates 4 red, 4 blue, and 3 of all other colors (with lower levels generating less colors and less AP).

Quicksilver
Where's the "quick" in this character? He feels downright slow, since his abilities are costly and do little damage. I'm not opposed to "little damage", since Quicksilver doesn't have any real offensive powers or even super strength, but he should definitely be speedy and be able to mess up the board in several interesting ways. Maybe I just need to use him more with Invisible Woman but having to use another character to make Quicksilver good sounds very strange, why can't he be good on his own? This character just needs a rework.

She-Hulk
Her blue is way worse since she lost the ability to change countdown tiles. Bring it back, we need it against goons and other things!

Bullseye (2-star)
The guy might be a "one-trick pony" by "just" being able to throw stuff, but he is lethal whenever he does it. How does his black ability reflect that now? It doesn't. It's super costly and doesn't even do any real damage when it resolves. I understand his current black power was created with the different environment tiles in mind (some environment abilities created critical tiles), but he wasn't useful even then and you removed the environment abilities entirely, so what's the big idea of him having a costly ability that doesn't really do anything? You just HAVE to combine him with other characters to make him at least somewhat useful now, but still. This character needs a lot of reworking to be useful again.

Bag-Man
If you gotta have a "joke" character (I thought Deadpool was such a thing?), at least make him somewhat useful and being able to create strange situations on the board or do other weird stuff, but the current version is just barely useful against goons. Barely. And that's it. Back to the drawing board, please. Why even bother to have a character that no player wants to use?

Black Widow (1-star)
Too costly AP steal (especially compared to OBW, who does exactly the same thing, with a 35% discount) and since she's a deadly assassin, she really needs a third ability, especially since she's super squishy (level 50 would make her a little more useful).

Yelena Belova
Extra damage to that stun and AP steal is nice, but it's WAY too costly compared to what it actually does. Please fix. Yelena could also use a third ability to further reflect that she's a lethal assassin.

Hawkeye
A really cool character in the comics, a really worthless character in the game. Way too squishy and desperately needs a third ability. This character definitely deserves a better fate. The 2-star Hawkeye has average health or even above average (definitely higher than OBW and a few other characters), so why does the 1-star have less health than 1-star Black Widow?

Comments

• Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daige wrote:
    She-Hulk
    Way worse

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
  • Mawtful wrote:
    Daige wrote:
    She-Hulk
    Way worse

Her blue IS worse now than it was before. If you don't agree, please explain why it's better now because I sure as tinykitty can't see any real improvement on that one. I'm only arguing about her blue ability now.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Daige wrote:
    Mawtful wrote:
    Daige wrote:
    She-Hulk
    Way worse

Her blue IS worse now than it was before. If you don't agree, please explain why it's better now because I sure as tinykitty can't see any real improvement on that one. I'm only arguing about her blue ability now.
    No, it is not. It is worse against CDs (unless they produce special tiles like ninjas or muscle, in which case it is still usable only after they resolve and not before) but much better overall because it can't affect your already buffed tiles you stole with subsequent castings.
  • Kolence wrote:
    Daige wrote:
    Mawtful wrote:
    Daige wrote:
    She-Hulk
    Way worse

No, it is not. It is worse against CDs (unless they produce special tiles like ninjas or muscle, in which case it is still usable only after they resolve and not before) but much better overall because it can't affect your already buffed tiles you stole with subsequent castings.

The old ability gave the enemy weakened tiles in return, so it was still better than this.

Please add your own thoughts on which characters need to be improved instead of saying "you're wrong", since this is a matter of taste and we will never agree on this subject.
  • Id add Psylocke to the list. Bewilder needs to go away or at least get a revamp and they need to take away the tile generation restriction on her red.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Daige wrote:
    The old ability gave the enemy weakened tiles in return, so it was still better than this.
    Yes, better on the first use, but repeated casting was as likely to weaken the enemy tile as it was your newly stolen and buffed tile, which was my point. But I would agree it could use a little buff and weaken the third tile it selects that remains the enemy's, just like before.
    Please add your own thoughts on which characters need to be improved instead of saying "you're wrong", since this is a matter of taste and we will never agree on this subject.
    I'm sorry if you got the impression that I was saying "you're wrong". I was mostly responding to the part where you said "...If you don't agree, please explain why it's better now...".

I can't remember where have I seen it, but I really liked the proposal to change Bewilder so you can choose the tile (or just choose the color on which the CD would be randomly placed) and when it activates you steal from that color. Adjust the cost of ability and AP stolen if necessary to balance it, but it becomes more reliable (as much as CDs abilities can be).
  • Cymmina
    Cymmina Posts: 413 Mover and Shaker
    Kolence wrote:
    I can't remember where have I seen it, but I really liked the proposal to change Bewilder so you can choose the tile (or just choose the color on which the CD would be randomly placed) and when it activates you steal from that color. Adjust the cost of ability and AP stolen if necessary to balance it, but it becomes more reliable (as much as CDs abilities can be).

What happens when the AI spends all of their AP of that color right before the CD resolves? You get nothing. Changing it to a SW style passive CD might be better: steals 1..4 AP from the largest pool, 2..3 second countdown.

That's not Psylocke's only problem though. Her damage is really underwhelming. Even when she's boosted it just emphasizes just how lackluster she really is. Colossus isn't anything special, but his red is hella fun to use when he's boosted.
  • Bman66
    Bman66 Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Devil dino!!!! I've had him maxed for ages, but he is still a dud. Also, with the health Increases in most characters he stayed the seem the only thing he had was he was 5k more health the she Thor now like 1.5k. Lastly there are several three stars with better damage abilities for similar costs (gramora 6red, blade 8 green,) he should be an actual '' legendary character''.
  • ayatorahxephon
    ayatorahxephon Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Devil Dino and IW

These two legendaries still need some buff !! Devil dino although it's a joke character, can only compete for easy pve, pvp nodes.. with the recent other character's hp buff, his hp seems obsolete. Purple has so less chance of cascade and his two other decent bites can't destroy other character easily.

Although IW have a recent buff, she is still below par when compared to other legendary. Her blue is good, her yellow is worse than PX shame on having a title of "invisible" and her worst skill is green. I have a 4/4/5 but still she can barely do damage for that overprice ap. It is also a nuisance when you use blue to lock up enemy's special tiles and use green to deal damage and destroy tiles as the one destroyed are the ones surrounding the bubbles and not the one locked, instead it would free the locked one into full effect... It's just seems wrong in terms of synergy. I would suggest either tone down the ap of green, or increase the damage or destroy the locked tiles inside the bubble or all.
  • I'm of the opinion the "2 Ability" characters need to get a 3rd ability so there is even pacing over all star tiers.

Bullseye is the only problem on the 2 star level, but on the 1 star level, Yelena, Juggs, Venom, BW, and Hawkeye could use a third ability. This means you wouldn't be penalized for keeping someone besides Modern Storm/Iron Man when they get boosted for events.
  • TheHood
    TheHood Posts: 107
    edited May 2015
    Who need a big improvement:
    - Iron Man Model 40
    - Storm Mohawk
    - Spider-Man
    - Falcon
    - Colossus
    - M. Captain Marvel

Who need a a little buff:
    - Ragnarok
    - The Hood
    - Classic Magneto
    - Psylocke
    - Hulk
    - Black Widow Grey Suit

And downgrade Bagman to 1*star so maybe you can give us a real 2* Spider-Man eventually.
  • I think that both Psylocke and Captain Marvel need bumps in damage to their red and black moves, and Psylocke needs her special tiles buffed as well. They're both really close to being good, they just need to do a bit more damage. I think they probably just got left behind in the power creep as stronger characters got added to the game.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    i think xforce wolverine could use a buff to his green icon_razz.gif
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    rvs623 wrote:
    I think that both Psylocke and Captain Marvel need bumps in damage to their red and black moves, and Psylocke needs her special tiles buffed as well. They're both really close to being good, they just need to do a bit more damage. I think they probably just got left behind in the power creep as stronger characters got added to the game.

Psylocke, Cap Marvel AND Punisher all just need to have their powers increased to around what they are when they are buffed in PVP. Oh and Psylocke needs a new blue.
  • Pylgrim wrote:
    rvs623 wrote:
    I think that both Psylocke and Captain Marvel need bumps in damage to their red and black moves, and Psylocke needs her special tiles buffed as well. They're both really close to being good, they just need to do a bit more damage. I think they probably just got left behind in the power creep as stronger characters got added to the game.

Psylocke, Cap Marvel AND Punisher all just need to have their powers increased to around what they are when they are buffed in PVP. Oh and Psylocke needs a new blue.

And remove the "If less than 3(?) tiles exist..." portion of her red.
  • elwhiteninja
    elwhiteninja Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    TheHood wrote:
    - The Hood

icon_lol.gif The hood is considered top 5 characters in the game.

I agree with everyone else but the hood needs nothing. Sure more HP would be nice but he is squishy for a reason.

IM40 needs love, too expensive and ineffective
    Spiderman too (give him a damage ability get rid of that **** heal)
    Psylocke should have her blue changed to a purple that either does damage or steals ap but consistently

Those are my top 3

icon_ragnarok.png re-rework
    icon_doctoroctopus.png small tweaks needed
    icon_gamora.png just lower the cost of black and she would be top tier

icon_ironpatriot.png release him
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    For Psylocke, I thought it might be interesting if she mirrored OBW's purple with her blue, but in a slightly different, She-Hulk-flavored capacity. It kind of shows how super-strong OBW's purple is, even when tweaked down a notch:

Bewilder - Purple 4 purpletile.png
    Psylocke invades her opponent's mind, erasing their memories. She destroys 2 enemy Yellow, Blue, Red, and Green AP .
    Level 2: Destroys 3 AP. Costs 6 AP.
    Level 3: Also destroys Black AP. Costs 7 AP
    Level 4: Destroys 4 AP. Costs 9 AP.
    Level 5: Also destroys purple AP. Costs 10 AP.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    TheHood wrote:
    - The Hood

icon_lol.gif The hood is considered top 5 characters in the game.

I agree with everyone else but the hood needs nothing.
    well, considering the post you quoted was made by The Hood, the motivations are a little suspect...

nice try, Robbins!!! icon_twisted.gif
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Puce Moose wrote:
    For Psylocke, I thought it might be interesting if she mirrored OBW's purple with her blue, but in a slightly different, She-Hulk-flavored capacity. It kind of shows how super-strong OBW's purple is, even when tweaked down a notch:

Bewilder - Purple 4 purpletile.png
    Psylocke invades her opponent's mind, erasing their memories. She destroys 2 enemy Yellow, Blue, Red, and Green AP .
    Level 2: Destroys 3 AP. Costs 6 AP.
    Level 3: Also destroys Black AP. Costs 7 AP
    Level 4: Destroys 4 AP. Costs 9 AP.
    Level 5: Also destroys purple AP. Costs 10 AP.

The devs seem to be moving away from powers that cost more as you level them up these days, so they probably won't go for this.

I think you can keep the current countdown that steals ap aspect of the power with just a few tweaks. the problem with the current power is that the highest ap pool is generally highest because it isn't being used (which also often means it's a less useful power). So the enemy isn't often hurt by stealing ap from a color it isn't using. And the ai never saves up for very expensive powers if has a cheaper option on the same color (cos the ai is very dumb), which reduces the value of this even further.

Either it should steal from the strongest color, or the player should be able to choose which color is stolen (which would be very powerful, and would probably require balancing).

Also, it should be color shifted to purple to match both the artwork, and the character's color scheme in general.

And I agree that psylocke, punisher, and cap. marvel all need increased damage production. they have all been left behind by power creep.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2015
    I was just thinking about this. I think in general balance is fine, but there are a few boosts (I'm leaving out nerfs) that I'd be happy about.

Devil Dino isn't supposed to be a real 4*, but could use a boost to RG damage by 20%. I want a reason to level him to 250 (mine is 4/4/4).

Captain Marvel's Energy Absorption doesn't get triggered often enough--Unless Patch is in the battle (on either side). Using a simulator it's pretty equivalent to Hulk's Anger, in terms of average AP gained, but there's no tile damage, e.g. the game-ending power of Hulk Cascadeath. I think it would be cool if the threshold was lower. Maybe the AP gained could be proportional to the damage she takes. (E.g for every 5% of health she takes, gain 2 red, 2 black at rank 5. Or whatever math works out.)

Storm (1 and 3) need better damage on Yellow; the number of tiles destroyed by Mistress of the Elements seems really low, and the cost is maybe a bit high. Even the Storm of yore was only broken because of Environment AP which was quickly removed. I'd love to see her back to "shatter all" if the damage is going to stay low compared to Magneto's.

I know it's not going to happen since she was recently reworked, but Invisible Woman's power curve is so punishing, and locked tiles are difficult to use; her lower ranks could use a boost. Mine is at 4/4/3--a considerable commitment!--but her powers don't really get decent until 5 ranks. E.g. I can't lock special tiles so if want to guarantee 1 CD is destroyed, I need to put 3 bubbles adjacent to it then blow them up, dealing "this character isn't viable" damage for a lot of AP investment. Unless she's at 5 green, Beast does a lot more for a comparable Blue/Green cost.
    (Edit: After using her at level 190 in the Gauntlet, I think she's pretty good. Her green/blue is still cumbersome and damage is terrible, but she really pumps out the Protect tiles, and Invisibility is a great way to hide my level 130 Hood from the level 340 bad guys.)

Basically every 4* should have a progression like Nick Fury, whose powers improve in exciting ways every rank, and has a variety of 'best' builds to work toward.

Punisher; Dunno, I was always a 5/5/3 fan but I am respecing to 5 red because with the additional health everyone has, 40% is a lot more utility than it once was. Red could afford to be a little stronger at baseline. I think Green is his best power but could still maybe use another strike tile (or cost 7 AP!), so his black should probably be a bit better (especially considering how good other black powers are). Honestly making the CD relocate could be a neat way to cause some more minor board shake. And/or up the Attack damage to noticrable levels. Really Punisher is useful but all his powers get overshadowed unless, as others have mentioned, he's buffed to 200+.

I think Gamora's great but man if her black only cost 10... Woo.

Psylocke just seems a bit frail. She's built to not have novas but she doesn't have shake/AP gain to feed those small attacks. Bewilder could have a smaller Max drain and a much smaller cost, seeing as it often fails to go off and when it does, usually nets about 8 AP in a random color you might not have use for. It'd be better if it stole multiple colors. Edit: I like the idea of it being purple instead of blue.