Hulk Angry!!!

Arctic_One
Arctic_One Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
edited May 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Full Patch, Full 2*Daken & 7552 hp on Deadpool vs lowly 1243 hp Hulk and...........17 Anger strikes in one turn???? So much for depriving Hulk any green AP. Tinkitty'n bull-tinkitty.

Rant done. Next........

Comments

• Had the same experience with She-Hulk four times before accepting the obvious. Zero green matches, zero cascades, and every time a special flashed on my end? Oh look, there goes all my AP again... whatever.

I'm sure I'm just imagining it, or there's supposed to be some fun challenge to it.

DBC
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    eaa5a1661d837268ca822598f474b53c.589x358x1.jpg

In other words, don't hit Hulk with a strike tile fueled cascade if you aren't 100% sure he's dropping.
  • Arctic_One
    Arctic_One Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    eaa5a1661d837268ca822598f474b53c.589x358x1.jpg

In other words, don't hit Hulk with a strike tile fueled cascade if you aren't 100% sure he's dropping.

But, with Hulk at just under 3500 hp if I make a match 3 and a small cascade occurs, I don't wipe him out but, it takes 75% of his health and ........

• In other words, don't hit Hulk with a strike tile fueled cascade if you aren't 100% sure he's dropping.

He's fighting a Hulk with only 1000 HP so any normal match 3s will trigger Anger and even Anger at level 1 can lead to some pretty nasty stuff when there are 10 of them up and you can't avoid it if Hulk's HP is low enough. I think that's why they got rid of Anger on Hulk's passive in the seed teams.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 664 Critical Contributor
    Stun him! Then he can't get angry.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    It is stil sad that Hulk will get Angey and then Thunder clap. With 17 anger tiles Hulk should get angry and smash.
  • Turbosmooth
    Turbosmooth Posts: 213
    Using strike tile characters against Hulk can be tricky. You don't mean to hurt him so much, but you are just collecting AP. It's funny with Daken. I will wipe the strikes for a one time anger hit and try to collect as much green even though I don't want it. But that sets off strike tiles that can make things a mess.

Except when you are forced with essential nodes, seems best to avoid using Daken against Hulk.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    In PvE I like how they made the Daken essential nodes vs. Hulk and the new 3* Bullseye. I'm surprised they didn't do a Patch / Hulk / 3* Capt. Marvel node where you're forced to spit out high strength strike tiles.
  • dkffiv wrote:
    In PvE I like how they made the Daken essential nodes vs. Hulk and the new 3* Bullseye. I'm surprised they didn't do a Patch / Hulk / 3* Capt. Marvel node where you're forced to spit out high strength strike tiles.

Scaling usually does a pretty good job of negating Hulk/Captain Marvel already. I had some strike tiles going versus Hulk and didn't have a way to stun lock him due to some accident and then found out that hitting him for 800 a turn wasn't enough to trigger Anger anyway and went on to win easy.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Wait, people still don't know how hulk works? icon_e_wink.gif
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Using strike tile characters against Hulk can be tricky. You don't mean to hurt him so much, but you are just collecting AP. It's funny with Daken. I will wipe the strikes for a one time anger hit and try to collect as much green even though I don't want it. But that sets off strike tiles that can make things a mess.

Except when you are forced with essential nodes, seems best to avoid using Daken against Hulk.

I dunno, I feel like Daken is a great foil for Hulk. Anger sets off all the green matches, yeah, which spawn more strike tiles

and if you have a high-level Daken, that means Hulk gonna diiiiiie the next turn (if you have any blue AP to spend)
  • dkffiv
    DFiPL wrote:

I dunno, I feel like Daken is a great foil for Hulk. Anger sets off all the green matches, yeah, which spawn more strike tiles

and if you have a high-level Daken, that means Hulk gonna diiiiiie the next turn (if you have any blue AP to spend)

Hulk is Daken's counter, you got it backwards. If you end up with too many strike tiles a cascade is going to easily net Hulk 10+ green AP plus a ton of crits. Your match damage will be countered by a Thunderous Clap every turn.
    Phantron wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:

Scaling usually does a pretty good job of negating Hulk/Captain Marvel already. I had some strike tiles going versus Hulk and didn't have a way to stun lock him due to some accident and then found out that hitting him for 800 a turn wasn't enough to trigger Anger anyway and went on to win easy.

The essentials seem to cap out at around 210 or so and 800-900 worth of match damage was triggering Anger (this probably normally wouldn't happen but buffing Daken to 260 isn't helping). I was forced to bring 4hor and had to use kits the time that a super cascade killed my target and hit Hulk 3 extra times.
  • DFiPL
    dkffiv wrote:
    DFiPL wrote:
    Hulk is Daken's counter, you got it backwards. If you end up with too many strike tiles a cascade is going to easily net Hulk 10+ green AP plus a ton of crits. Your match damage will be countered by a Thunderous Clap every turn.

Not to say you're doing it wrong, but you're doing it wrong.

I mean, I get what you're saying. But the trick is, you hit Hulk with everything at once. Throw the kitchen sink at him. Then, yeah, he's going to spawn a bunch of greens which will in turn match off to spawn strike tiles from Daken. IF he survives the kitchen sink, Daken steps in the next turn with his blue and ruins Hulk's day.

You don't want to be triggering Hulk's Anger through regular match-3's and match-4's. That's counterproductive. Focus on his teammates while you build up AP and then hit him with the kitchen sink; let him go nuts with Anger, and have your high-level Daken tuck Hulk in beddy-bye after that.
  • dkffiv wrote:
    The essentials seem to cap out at around 210 or so and 800-900 worth of match damage was triggering Anger (this probably normally wouldn't happen but buffing Daken to 260 isn't helping). I was forced to bring 4hor and had to use kits the time that a super cascade killed my target and hit Hulk 3 extra times.

Mine topped out at around 250 which happened to be enough to take 800 damage safely but another Phermone Rage would've pushed it over the limit. It's just kind of ironic that scaling, of all things, renders some matchups that are normally pretty bad like Daken vs Hulk in your favor. Another fun one is Deadpool and see how much damage you've to do to trigger Life of the Party when he's 300+.
  • dkffiv
    DFiPL wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:
    DFiPL wrote:

I mean, I get what you're saying. But the trick is, you hit Hulk with everything at once. Throw the kitchen sink at him. Then, yeah, he's going to spawn a bunch of greens which will in turn match off to spawn strike tiles from Daken. IF he survives the kitchen sink, Daken steps in the next turn with his blue and ruins Hulk's day.

You don't want to be triggering Hulk's Anger through regular match-3's and match-4's. That's counterproductive. Focus on his teammates while you build up AP and then hit him with the kitchen sink; let him go nuts with Anger, and have your high-level Daken tuck Hulk in beddy-bye after that.

A lot of times you're forced to use your AP to down his teammates to prevent them from doing a match losing move and you're fighting Hulk with a basically fresh board (no strike tiles no AP). By the time you build up enough AP to start doing something you end up with too many strike tiles and Anger starts popping. Back in the day I've lost several coin tosses with Patch/Daken vs. Hulk, now that there are a lot more options for dealing with him I'd never bring Daken unless absolutely forced to.
    Phantron wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:

Mine topped out at around 250 which happened to be enough to take 800 damage safely but another Phermone Rage would've pushed it over the limit. It's just kind of ironic that scaling, of all things, renders some matchups that are normally pretty bad like Daken vs Hulk in your favor. Another fun one is Deadpool and see how much damage you've to do to trigger Life of the Party when he's 300+.

On my main and sandbox they're both capping out at 210, that's weird (sandbox hard nodes are like 50 levels higher though).
  • dkffiv wrote:
    On my main and sandbox they're both capping out at 210, that's weird (sandbox hard nodes are like 50 levels higher though).

The iso 8 jackpot node is only 260? That seems pretty weird because that node started in the 300s for me and went to 395 in no time at all, and it's consistent with all the previous occurences of Simulator Hard where the iso 8 jackpot node quickly hits 395 as the event progresses.
    dkffiv wrote:
    A lot of times you're forced to use your AP to down his teammates to prevent them from doing a match losing move and you're fighting Hulk with a basically fresh board (no strike tiles no AP). By the time you build up enough AP to start doing something you end up with too many strike tiles and Anger starts popping. Back in the day I've lost several coin tosses with Patch/Daken vs. Hulk, now that there are a lot more options for dealing with him I'd never bring Daken unless absolutely forced to.

Yeah, the time I had to attack Daken with a fully loaded strike tile was when Kingpin put 2 Maggia Pawns on the board and if I didn't unload all my AP it'd have been ugly. Though look at it another way, at least Hulk is a guy you don't have to worry about unloading your AP immediately or take a game ending move.
  • DFiPL
    dkffiv wrote:

Shrug. I've had tons of success with Luke Cage spawning a defense tile and Daken spawning strike tiles. Yeah, they'll take damage if Hulk Smashes or something, but the Simulator node with Kingpin and the Hulks, as I say, I go after Kingpin first, She-Hulk second, and then throw the kitchen sink at Hulk. It's been effective. Using the strike tiles Daken generates whittles down Kingpin and She-Hulk, and since they don't have an Anger equivalent, they go meekly.

Then I hit Hulk with the fist of an angry god.
  • dkffiv
    Phantron wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:

The iso 8 jackpot node is only 260? That seems pretty weird because that node started in the 300s for me and went to 395 in no time at all, and it's consistent with all the previous occurences of Simulator Hard where the iso 8 jackpot node quickly hits 395 as the event progresses.

The essentials are stuck at around 190-230 everywhere I've seen, going slightly higher near grind down. The hard track was starting around 50 levels higher on the sandbox, though 8-12 hours in they were capping at 395 anyway.
  • Hulk angry?

Daredevil to stun to stop him from getting angry.

Or if you're feeling adventurous, put out DD's red and get him angry.

Trust me. You gotta try this at least once. You will be pleased. =)

9966101.jpg
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    DFiPL wrote:

Sorry DFiPL, but I think you are are the one doing it wrong. Brilliant strategies should not include the phrase: "IF [my guy] survives. . ."

There is no reason to play with fire using strike-tile based characters against hulk if you don't have to do so. There are two reliable strategies to drop hulk: stun or alpha striking him all in one round. The first one works fine with strike tiles if you save hulk for last and make sure to stun lock him. The second strategy is dangerous with strikes because you MUST make a move each turn, and too many strikes will trigger anger eventually. So collecting all the ap for an alpha strike can be tricky with characters that automatically generate strikes (e.g. laken, blade).