Overall play / engagement down?

2»

Comments

• after placing around top25 past few seasons my alliance is now 100% casual and i myself have not opened up the game in about a week. about half of my alliance is mostly playing marvel future fight now. we're beyond burned out and unless there are drastic changes or improvement to mpq in the future i have a hard time seeing how those in my alliance who have migrated over to future fight (awesome game) will ever return to mpq. but again, we're vets. noobs are probably making up most of the player base now
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2015
    unco_dan wrote:
    about half of my alliance is mostly playing marvel future fight now. we're beyond burned out and unless there are drastic changes or improvement to mpq in the future i have a hard time seeing how those in my alliance who have migrated over to future fight (awesome game) will ever return to mpq. but again, we're vets. noobs are probably making up most of the player base now
    Very much this. I find the game play is just ok (super saver diablo game play isn't great) but the meta is much more rewarding. Achievement rewards beyond event participation, rich content with four to five separate modes that all play into the larger progress but in unique ways for each mode, benefits for more play time in the game in the form of being able to play longer as your profile ranks up, pvp that only wants you to play ten times a day, oh and playable characters from day one that you can choose to make better as you like without having to wait for the RNG gods to be favorable on you. The RNG just makes them upgraded versions that help more.

D3 is well past being able to implement some of these elements but I wish they would consider some of it. Future fight doesnt prey on the addictive aspects of human psychology. I can play as I like and still make progress without fighting like a dog for scraps vs fellow players.

Edit: though I will say their forums are a hot mess with what feels like nothing but ten year olds on it, lol. Can't find answers for questions I have very easily and the convo is pretty banal.
  • unco_dan wrote:
    after placing around top25 past few seasons my alliance is now 100% casual and i myself have not opened up the game in about a week. about half of my alliance is mostly playing marvel future fight now. we're beyond burned out and unless there are drastic changes or improvement to mpq in the future i have a hard time seeing how those in my alliance who have migrated over to future fight (awesome game) will ever return to mpq. but again, we're vets. noobs are probably making up most of the player base now
    So Future's pretty good?
  • orbitalint wrote:
    unco_dan wrote:
    about half of my alliance is mostly playing marvel future fight now. we're beyond burned out and unless there are drastic changes or improvement to mpq in the future i have a hard time seeing how those in my alliance who have migrated over to future fight (awesome game) will ever return to mpq. but again, we're vets. noobs are probably making up most of the player base now
    Very much this. I find the game play is just ok (super saver diablo game play isn't great) but the meta is much more rewarding. Achievement rewards beyond event participation, rich content with four to five separate modes that all play into the larger progress but in unique ways for each mode, benefits for more play time in the game in the form of being able to play longer as your profile ranks up, pvp that only wants you to play ten times a day, oh and playable characters from day one that you can choose to make better as you like without having to wait for the RNG gods to be favorable on you. The RNG just makes them upgraded versions that help more.

D3 is well past being able to implement some of these elements but I wish they would consider some of it. Future fight doesnt prey on the addictive aspects of human psychology. I can play as I like and still make progress without fighting like a dog for scraps vs fellow players.

Edit: though I will say their forums are a hot mess with what feels like nothing but ten year olds on it, lol. Can't find answers for questions I have very easily and the convo is pretty banal.

re: Future Fight

yea i'm loving this game right now. i'm able to get my marvel fix thru it. i dont wanna turn this into a comparison thread between mpq and ff but really, ff feels like the utter opposite of mpq. love the variety of different missions/stages and how each involve different challenges. autoplay helps grind for you. devs are constantly giving away free stuff. daily drops are actually FREE and dont require you to play a single match unlike some games i know of...ahem. like you said, available characters from the get-go. progression isnt dependent on competing with the rest of the world. awards drop regularly. what else..oh yea, no healthpacks! heroes are 100% healed after every battle. its just really fun and feels like what a game oughta be. i'm more than willing to put money into ff for many reasons but also cause its not a game that punishes you for progressing. i'm hoping they expand alliance gameplay in the future. but yea, their forums are a MESS lol. if you want to you can hit me up on line (unco_dan), i and a few others have a chat where we discuss ff
  • unco_dan wrote:
    re: Future Fight

yea i'm loving this game right now. i'm able to get my marvel fix thru it. i dont wanna turn this into a comparison thread between mpq and ff but really, ff feels like the utter opposite of mpq. love the variety of different missions/stages and how each involve different challenges. autoplay helps grind for you. devs are constantly giving away free stuff. daily drops are actually FREE and dont require you to play a single match unlike some games i know of...ahem. like you said, available characters from the get-go. progression isnt dependent on competing with the rest of the world. awards drop regularly. what else..oh yea, no healthpacks! heroes are 100% healed after every battle. its just really fun and feels like what a game oughta be. i'm more than willing to put money into ff for many reasons but also cause its not a game that punishes you for progressing. i'm hoping they expand alliance gameplay in the future. but yea, their forums are a MESS lol. if you want to you can hit me up on line (unco_dan), i and a few others have a chat where we discuss ff

Fine, you guys wore me down. Downloading inside of T- 10, 9, 8...

Anything I should know going in? Alliances? Stupid mistakes to avoid? Come to think of it, it would probably be a bit more respectful to PM? Anyone wanting to help a (yet AGAIN) noob, feel free to PM me!

DBC
  • Vohnkar
    Vohnkar Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    My father and me play a lot less too. We¡ve been doing ok on the past 4-5 seasons, getting the 4k points required to the 10x packs.

We tried to stay active on ultron but was frustrating endless grind, PvE has been unplayable for us for quite a bit, I've been skipping Pve entirely for the past 3 months, I've played very litle, last months didn't even enter in any bracket.

I was full on PvP, was fun, I could play at my own pace and still manage to get 400-600 points easy and rank t100 usually if I tried (I'm a 3* transitioning to 4* if that exists). But with the recent health bufs, boosted characters and changes in the MMR PvP its similar to PvE. I hgave to heal after every fight, so I can do a push to 300, and then another to 500. I have to play for a long time and use all my heals, get attacked quite often, etc. So I've been playing very few matches, I have only 2k points this season.

I'm hoping they change some things for the next season to make PvP appealing again, PvE is a lost cause with the insane scaling, its been in place for too long, so I think they enjoy making people miserable fighting lvl 200+ and making us grind this much.

Right Now I'm playing Marvel Contest of champions, seems ok for the moment, but I'm new to the game, so they may be doing the same as D3, giving me free stuff until I start progressing and they will punish my roster. For now seems fun.

I'm trying the future fight some of you have mentioned before, thanks for the tips, and expect less competition icon_razz.gif another t100 player that goes full casual and didnt even get to top 250.

You've lost 34€ every couple of months D3 (thats what my father and me usually spent on MPQ), those 34 will go somewhere else for the time being, its not like we can win any of those shiny 4* so, no need to get more roster slots icon_razz.gif
  • Argon Flame
    Argon Flame Posts: 98 Match Maker
    I've been a daily player since the start of the year.
    I have definitely almost reached my limit for the game.

This is (I think) my third run through the existing content (I've done most of the events 2 or 3 times now).

I have reached a plateau in game play where any extra effort has diminishing returns. Extra character slots to accommodate all the new characters that are Essentials for the following Events take either a considerable cash investment or significant grinding (Currently t50 in a sub pays 50HP so that's almost 2 weeks of above average play for my next slot). Now that that essentials span 2-star and 4-star characters my roster has to open up further to allow for them.

For PvP I have resisted levelling up my characters I have no idea how their level impacts MMR (either the current or whatever future system is). Keeping them low helps me in PvE given I have multiple potential teams so that works for me.

The Ultron event was an eye-opener. Endless grinds using the same characters to try achieve a seemingly pointless target meant that about halfway through the second run: there was no more point in grinding.

The next issue I have is the enormous amount of data running the game chews through all increasing the overall cost of the game.

I'll give it a bit longer - wait and see the responses to the Q/A section... and then? icon_question.gif
  • Brace yourselves, there is something called summer coming up on the northern hemisphere....
  • Jester Day wrote:
    Brace yourselves, there is something called summer coming up on the northern hemisphere....

July and August 2014 were deadly boring in MPQ.

Let's see if we have something more exciting this year.

I'm playing far less than I used to.

For me, the magic has gone. Too many changes in a very short time, and a progression that has become even slower than it used to.

In the end, not really willing to invest in the game anymore. My SW, HB, Vision and now Bullseye are not fully covered. It would never have happened in the past.
  • d0nk3y
    d0nk3y Posts: 213
    arktos1971 wrote:
    I'm playing far less than I used to.

For me, the magic has gone. Too many changes in a very short time, and a progression that has become even slower than it used to.

I think the surest sign that things have gone horribly sideways for the game is on the front page of the forums - the named user list. I remember that list used to have 40 or 50 named users online at any given time... right now I see 20, and over the last few days it's been more like 12 named users online at any given time. That a terrible loss for the community and I have a feeling that translates proportionally (or perhaps exponentially) into a loss of committed veteran players in-game.
  • Just to play devil's advocate here, although I think there's a lot of areas where this game has room for serious improvement, lack of forum activity could mean everyone's giving up, or it could mean that people are enjoying the game more and don't feel as much need to come to the forums. The only way to know for certain would be to have a pretty wide poll of the overall player base (i.e. beyond just the forums).

I don't think it's the latter, but we should always be wary of trusting our own perceptions with too much certainty.
  • Just to play devil's advocate here, although I think there's a lot of areas where this game has room for serious improvement, lack of forum activity could mean everyone's giving up, or it could mean that people are enjoying the game more and don't feel as much need to come to the forums. The only way to know for certain would be to have a pretty wide poll of the overall player base (i.e. beyond just the forums).

I don't think it's the latter, but we should always be wary of trusting our own perceptions with too much certainty.
    forum engagement is down, can't say much else - not perception, deduction
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just throwing this out there; season ends today, so it's very likely you got thrown in a soft season bracket, if you were not already in one prior to playing before your post.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    arktos1971 wrote:
    Deadpool vs MPQ was run at the start of August 2014, with the highest spike in active players, enough to kill the servers.

I wouldn't call that "deadly boring" icon_e_wink.gif

Although, looking back, I wonder why we all went collectively crazy for just another 3*.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    We averaged 7503.75/person for 99th last season. Average of 7582.45 this season, 56th.

Last season;

99. Double Trouble - 150075
    100. Agent Archer - 150011

The lowest scores I can see this season;

59. SKYNET2.0 - 150496
    60. Immortal R3ge - 150433
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    traedoril wrote:
    I have noticed that the top players in my slices are not the guys I am used to seeing. All of the veterans are tired of the **** from D3/Demiurge and the transition players can't transition anymore due to scaling...

Both of these things can't be true.

There have the be players in the top ranks in each event, the #1 slot that would have gone to a vet has to go to *someone*. If all the vets have left and there are new top players then they must have transitioned in.
  • lukewin wrote:
    We averaged 7503.75/person for 99th last season. Average of 7582.45 this season, 56th.

Last season;

99. Double Trouble - 150075
    100. Agent Archer - 150011

The lowest scores I can see this season;

59. SKYNET2.0 - 150496
    60. Immortal R3ge - 150433

That's indeed a significant change.
  • Bowgentle wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:
    Deadpool vs MPQ was run at the start of August 2014, with the highest spike in active players, enough to kill the servers.

Although, looking back, I wonder why we all went collectively crazy for just another 3*.

5 days out of 62 ?

Ok, let me correct it :

July and August 2014 were 91.93% boring in MPQ. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    arktos1971 wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:

5 days out of 62 ?

Ok, let me correct it :

July and August 2014 were 91.93% boring in MPQ. icon_e_biggrin.gif
    Lol, gotta be exact! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Bowgentle wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:

Ppl go crazy over Deadpool. That's why we got 3 freakin' deadpool events running right now