Random Poll Topic: New F4 movie, MPQ, & You

IReallyHatePVP
IReallyHatePVP Posts: 254
edited May 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Caught the Preview during my second swing through Avengers: AoU; apparently the Fantastic Four Movie series is getting a reboot(tab over to YouTube if you haven't caught it yet...I'll wait....)

So, anywho, just a real, pulse of the players, 'for the lulz' poll on Marvel's next(?¿? Or Ant Man?) movie offering; which missing half of the 4 does the movie get us?

Poll last 8 days, and be honest, as your vote cannot change once entered.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Caught the Preview during my second swing through Avengers: AoU; apparently the Fantastic Four Movie series is getting a reboot(tab over to YouTube if you haven't caught it yet...I'll wait....)

So, anywho, just a real, pulse of the players, 'for the lulz' poll on Marvel's next(?¿? Or Ant Man?) movie offering; which missing half of the 4 does the movie get us?

Poll last 8 days, and be honest, as your vote cannot change once entered.

If you had posted this last week, you would have been down voted to extinction...right Jaime?
  • Phillipes
    Phillipes Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    I voted both, but honestly, I would say none.
  • It's missing the "None of them because Disney/Marvel hopes the franchise crashes and burn in a fireball so huge that not even Johnny Storm can create, so they can reacquire the rights and finally put the F4 in the MCU" option.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, F4 is a Fox movie, not Marvel. So the chances of there being a MPQ tie-in are very, very slim.

That being said, I would like to see both Thing and Mr Fantastic in the game at some point.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Marvel has cancelled FF4, don't expect to see the rest of the team any time soon
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    fmftint wrote:
    Marvel has cancelled FF4, don't expect to see the rest of the team any time soon

I think the rumor that Marvel, since they don't own the movie rights to the FF, don't want to push the FF might not apply to MPQ since there's a similar rumor about the X-Men and we fairly recently got Prof X and Cyclops.
  • STOPTHIS wrote:
    fmftint wrote:

I think the rumor that Marvel, since they don't own the movie rights to the FF, don't want to push the FF might not apply to MPQ since there's a similar rumor about the X-Men and we fairly recently got Prof X and Cyclops.

X-Men are a major income source for Marvel and going against the movie franchise could backfire spectacularly and hurt their sales on the comics. F4 on the other hand have been in a difficult spot sale-wise lately and the series will end with #645. Not giving the movie any support could help them regain the rights for the characters, that could also lead to a relaunch of the series.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's a tough call... I'm sure they'll still get some residual from the movie whether its a success or not, but I believe they would like it to fail so that they can negotiate the rights to get it back.

At the same time, another reason to release a 4* Reed Richards, and a 3* Thing back to back wouldn't be surprising.

On a personal note: As long as Fox owns Fantastic Four, I have no confidence in any of the movies they come out with, especially considering the first two. They did OK with half of the X-men movies, but I give a vote of No Confidence when it comes to Fox and FF.
  • There's a very strong rumor that there's a total licensing freeze on the Fantastic Four and other characters tied up in their film rights right now. While some people seem to think the same is true of the X-Men, I've never actually seen anything other than third-hand reports about it, whereas people have posted memos and the like relating to the FF freeze. The simple fact of the matter is that a lot of X-Men stuff has come out in the last year, including in games, whereas literally nothing appears to have been approved by Marvel after the middle of 2014 relating to the FF and associated characters.

The last time we had one in this game was Human Torch, with the 3* in the Spring (or late Winter) and the 2* in the early summer. Nothing since then. Contest of Champions doesn't have a single character related to the FF film rights. There have been no toys released in the past year - the closest thing to an exception I can find is a Japanese art figure of Doctor Doom that was probably approved prior to the freeze, but literally nothing in any of the many, many toy lines released in North America - nothing from Hasbro, nothing from Lego, nothing from Funko, nothing from the other companies.

There does appear to be a total licensing freeze on the Fantastic Four right now, and it would be very easy for someone to prove that this isn't accurate: show me something that got approved after the middle of last year. Keep in mind, it's my favorite series and I follow its licensing pretty closely because (shock and surprise) I collect Thing stuff. And nothing is coming out.
  • JVReal wrote:
    It's a tough call... I'm sure they'll still get some residual from the movie whether its a success or not, but I believe they would like it to fail so that they can negotiate the rights to get it back.

All they need to get the rights back is for Fox to go seven years without putting anything in production. That's how they got the Daredevil rights back. I think Marvel's hope is that this tanks badly enough to scare Fox away from trying a third time. Marvel and Fox are reportedly on terrible terms right now; anything hinging on negotiation probably won't happen.

JVReal wrote:
    On a personal note: As long as Fox owns Fantastic Four, I have no confidence in any of the movies they come out with, especially considering the first two. They did OK with half of the X-men movies, but I give a vote of No Confidence when it comes to Fox and FF.

Completely agree. The new one is very clearly ashamed of the source material, and looks incredibly generic and dull. I won't be seeing it.
  • JVReal wrote:
    It's a tough call... I'm sure they'll still get some residual from the movie whether its a success or not,

I heard a Marvel exec say in an interview after X-MEN: DoFP that they do get some money off of it (as well as perhaps maybe a boost to the sales of the books) but as he put it, 'why help promote a movie where we got part of something when we can throw all our efforts into promoting movies that we get ALL of something.'

Makes sense. I look forward to the day where all Marvel properties are united within the MCU so that overall creative control can be had.

I think that's the biggest thing that hurts the DC movies, is that not until 'Man of Steel' did they sit down and try to keep a cohesive story across their brands.

To the general populace (i.e., non-comic book crowd) all the heroes can be confusing, but telling an overall story across multiple movies helps keep things easier to understand.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go explain to my sister why they 'left out' Green Lantern in the last Avengers movie. icon_lol.gif
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    All they need to get the rights back is for Fox to go seven years without putting anything in production. That's how they got the Daredevil rights back. I think Marvel's hope is that this tanks badly enough to scare Fox away from trying a third time. Marvel and Fox are reportedly on terrible terms right now; anything hinging on negotiation probably won't happen.

There's no way Fox let's FF or X-Men go. They can throw together some cheap production and keep rights. Daredevil was a bit radioactive (PUN!) after the Afflack movie, but they still tried to negotiate for the rights to that. Unless Disney is going to drop billions, I don't see happening sadly. Get used to FF movies that are scared to be superhero movies and X-Men movies that are about Wolverine and others.
  • STOPTHIS wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:

There's no way Fox let's FF or X-Men go. They can throw together some cheap production and keep rights. Daredevil was a bit radioactive (PUN!) after the Afflack movie, but they still tried to negotiate for the rights to that. Unless Disney is going to drop billions, I don't see happening sadly. Get used to FF movies that are scared to be superhero movies and X-Men movies that are about Wolverine and others.

There's no way they let X-Men go. They really didn't want to let Daredevil go either, but it did. The problem you get with a studio like Fox is that people are afraid to be associated with a failure, because it can kill their career. Fox won't be able to just throw together a Corman-level production for Fantastic Four; if they could, they would have done something like that with Daredevil. Daredevil even had a relatively prominent director (Joe Carnahan) trying to make a Daredvil film with them when the rights expired. But if Fantastic Four fails twice with Fox, they may not find anyone at the studio willing to risk producing another bomb. That could kill an executive's career, if they're the ones who greenlit it.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    2* Thing (to upset everyone, making 3* F4 "team" impossible) ->Essential for 3* Richards ->Essential for 4* Doom.

Three new characters in 14 days, back-to-back. Right?
  • SnowcaTT wrote:
    2* Thing (to upset everyone, making 3* F4 "team" impossible) ->Essential for 3* Richards ->Essential for 4* Doom.

Three new characters in 14 days, back-to-back. Right?

I think 2* Ant-Man/3* Wasp/4* Yellowjacket is more likely at this point.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    My biggest issue with the FF rights being in Fox' hands is that it keeps Marvel from using some major players like Doom, Silver Surfer and Galactus in their Infinity movies.

The Surfer would actually be higher on my 'want' list than Reed or Ben for MPQ, and Galactus would be a very cool boss event (loved him as a boss in Marvel vs Capcom 3 too).
  • Der_Lex wrote:
    My biggest issue with the FF rights being in Fox' hands is that it keeps Marvel from using some major players like Doom, Silver Surfer and Galactus in their Infinity movies.

The Surfer would actually be higher on my 'want' list than Reed or Ben for MPQ, and Galactus would be a very cool boss event (loved him as a boss in Marvel vs Capcom 3 too).

A reskinned Ultron event would be perfect for Galactus. Just replace the Ultron Drones with Galactus's Punisher robots.
  • AionTeleos
    AionTeleos Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    This is off topic, but Ben, are you familiar with the Wait, What? podcast? They're doing a running commentary as they work their way through the first X number of FF issues, and it's really rekindled my interest in the team.
  • STOPTHIS wrote:
    fmftint wrote:

The difference is X-Men sells and fantastic four is ehhhh(And two mediocre movies didn't help that.)

Sorry to say, but Fantastic Four fans are screwed: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10/05/ ... -fourever/
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    JVReal wrote:

Source they're on terrible terms? I thought with the Maximoff Crossover/Spidey Crossover they'd be BFFs
    JVReal wrote:
    It's a tough call... I'm sure they'll still get some residual from the movie whether its a success or not,

I heard a Marvel exec say in an interview after X-MEN: DoFP that they do get some money off of it (as well as perhaps maybe a boost to the sales of the books) but as he put it, 'why help promote a movie where we got part of something when we can throw all our efforts into promoting movies that we get ALL of something.'

Makes sense. I look forward to the day where all Marvel properties are united within the MCU so that overall creative control can be had.

I think that's the biggest thing that hurts the DC movies, is that not until 'Man of Steel' did they sit down and try to keep a cohesive story across their brands.

To the general populace (i.e., non-comic book crowd) all the heroes can be confusing, but telling an overall story across multiple movies helps keep things easier to understand.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go explain to my sister why they 'left out' Green Lantern in the last Avengers movie. icon_lol.gif

DC movies are complicated. For 1, they're all over the place in terms of quality. DC's TV plans are wayyyyy more competent than their movie plans right now.
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    3* Wasp

Plz gimme
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    raisinbman wrote:
    Source they're on terrible terms? I thought with the Maximoff Crossover/Spidey Crossover they'd be BFFs

Spidey's got nothin' to do with Fox, yo. That's Sony.

As far as Maximoff, the twins were in this weird rights limbo where both studios could use them, just without certain aspects of the origin story. No 'mutants' for Marvel, no 'Avengers' references for Fox.