Thor's (Goddess of Thunder) identity revealed [Spoilers]

With this new revelation that has been shown, I think it would be cool for the subtitle under the 4* Thor to be
Jane Foster
instead of Goddess of Thunder. Anyone else think it would be a nice change?

This isn't a joke btw. A single page of the new issue was revealed and shows who Thor really is now. I haven't read these comics but it is interesting to hear about. I quickly learned the back story from commentors on Reddit.

Link to the revealed page
http://puu.sh/hK1UE/dc4a09dac2.png

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kcman13 wrote:
    With this new revelation that has been shown, I think it would be cool for the subtitle under the 4* Thor to be
    Jane Foster
    instead of Goddess of Thunder. Anyone else think it would be a nice change?

This isn't a joke btw. A single page of the new issue was revealed and shows who Thor really is now. I haven't read these comics but it is interesting to hear about. I quickly learned the back story from commentors on Reddit.

Link to the revealed page
    http://puu.sh/hK1UE/dc4a09dac2.png

I win the pool!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes, there is a pool at my local comic book shop, i win.. guess what i win?? $100 Google Play Card and a 1 year sub for the series.

I have a feeling since MPQ and PaD are the only games i play on my phone.. i am going to go nuts on roster slots!
  • Try to save that until an HP sale and you'll be set for a long time. We are due for one of those
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    This bodes well for Natalie Portman...
  • Malcrof
    Kcman13 wrote:
    Try to save that until an HP sale and you'll be set for a long time. We are due for one of those

Already planned that.

The issue comes out tomorrow, i ordered 2 (one to read, one to store).

This bodes well for Natalie Portman...

I called dibs, hands off.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    You may want to put a "SPOILER" verbiage thingy in the title, cuz......Mods. And some users too, I guess.
  • I had put the name of the revealed character in a spoiler tag and I would hope they know what they are clicking on when opening the link lol. I suppose I can add the spoiler tag in the title.
  • TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 439 Mover and Shaker
    Thanks for posting - saves me having to go looking, as I knew the big reveal was this week. icon_cool.gif

Interesting for the MCU indeed!
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess we all know how this arc ends. She dies, he gets his hammer back, she gets added to the growing list of was worthy and ultimately forgotten
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    TLCstormz wrote:
    You may want to put a "SPOILER" verbiage thingy in the title, cuz......Mods. And some users too, I guess.

That's incredibly redundant, considering the title is essentially saying "this thread will contain X information".
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    I totally thought it was going to be Lindsey Lohan. I was WAAAAY off.....
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was certain it was Bruce Jenner!
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's a little disappointing. It feels like a boring choice for the role. I also thought that they'd keep the mystery going a little longer; this seems rushed.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mawtful wrote:
    That's a little disappointing. It feels like a boring choice for the role. I also thought that they'd keep the mystery going a little longer; this seems rushed.
    Marvel writers pitch their story arcs every year at the writer's retreat so they basically have 1 year to wrap it up. So while yes it seems like it may be a short time, it was likely all the time that was given to develop this arc.
  • Zen808
    Zen808 Posts: 260
    fmftint wrote:
    I guess we all know how this arc ends. She dies, he gets his hammer back, she gets added to the growing list of was worthy and ultimately forgotten

So 4Thor nerf, Part 2?
  • fmftint wrote:

She's not going anywhere any time soon. She's already been confirmed as being in the new Avengers after Secret Wars wraps up. Expect Iron Man to be replaced with someone new in the armor by then too. It's probably no coincidence that all the major characters whose movie versions are going to be out of their contracts and/or too old for the roles by the time the Avengers trilogy wraps up are suddenly passing their roles on to other people.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mawtful wrote:
    Marvel writers pitch their story arcs every year at the writer's retreat so they basically have 1 year to wrap it up. So while yes it seems like it may be a short time, it was likely all the time that was given to develop this arc.

Yeah, usually 13 issues, so they're past the halfway point. Although Marvel also confirmed, at about the time the Lady-Thor story started, that she'd be joining the Avengers as a part of the relaunch this year (in Avengers NOW!). I took that as an indication that she's going to be around for a while.

To counter my own point, they have just been sitting on some pretty big secrets in the lead up to Secret Wars, so maybe they didn't want to play with Lady Thor's identity too much. Although, to counter that point, there are a whole heap of interesting things they could have done already instead of a short secret identity storyline.

Anyway, I still find her non-Thor character boring, and knowing that she's destined for the Avengers means that the twist they put on her reveal is basically meaningless - since she's guaranteed to survive. Man-Thor is getting some pretty interesting character development, but it's infrequent and the whole King Thor foreshadowing also means it's hard to put him into a believable life-or-death sitaution. This will probably be a good opportunity for me to jump ship and catch up on Ms. Marvel.
  • This bodes well for Natalie Portman...

I wonder if they really did set all of this up for the movie universe. We know that Natalie is not averse to shaving her hair (V For Vendetta) and definitely is not averse to acting in comic movies (Thor and again, V For Vendetta). With how well Marvel plans for all of their cinematic universes...I wonder if they were going this direction all along? (It probably was)
  • Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. The comics change to reflect the movies a lot more than the movies change to reflect the comics (which is not at all so far). More likely the real Thor will come back in the comics just in time for Thor 3 in 2 years or so. If you follow the books, you'll notice that the originals always make their big returns right before their latest movie comes out.
  • Malcrof
    Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. The comics change to reflect the movies a lot more than the movies change to reflect the comics (which is not at all so far). More likely the real Thor will come back in the comics just in time for Thor 3 in 2 years or so. If you follow the books, you'll notice that the originals always make their big returns right before their latest movie comes out.

Kinda sorta disagree here, with Ragnarok and the Infinity series, Thor may very well be ready to just be Odinson in the movies afterwards, and Natalie Portman is a bankable star..

The next few issues are going to be critical with her health conditions, and now that her identity is known, Odinson will almost definitely come to her aid..
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    So the reason GT's blue went from 12 charged tiles to only 5, is cancer?