What if...the 2* Essential is not an oops...

Just noticed the new PvE banner "Dark Avenger: Heroic"

And these are the powered up characters:

LgsvjW.jpg

So it's 4*, 3*, 2* one of each like the pattern in TaT PvE.
But what if Thor (Marvel NOW!) 2* is actually a required character on essential node like Captain America 2*!?

From my honest opinion, if D3 is going to make this into a new trend for whatever purpose, whether they are trying to help more newbies or trying to sell more roster slots, I do not like it at all. But I will put up with whatever the change may be.

So what do you guys think if this is true? Discuss?

Comments

• This looks bad. I figured it was just because 4*-featured events have always had different essentials. If the mix of 4*, 3*, 2* essential becomes the new standard, I'm not very happy.

Unlike most forumites, the 4* essential annoys me more than the 2*, since I'm a huge collector.
  • patrice789
    patrice789 Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    yeah, I hope not. They fixed the 2* essential, since I can now place my 3* cap instead of my 2* cap in it's place icon_e_smile.gif
  • Vohnkar
    Vohnkar Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    I would like this change, at least on heroic PvEs. It would be a nice change for people that have big roster and diversity, for once I wouldn't be punished for having a ton of characters. (except the HP cost of maintainning a 70+ character roster)
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    If the other one is a 4* essential and we can use our 3* variant characters, sounds great to me.
  • TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 439 Mover and Shaker
    Yup; definitely looks like we're headed for that model.

Positives
    Not so important if you miss a 3* release, since only 1/3 of the next event's essentials.
    Some significance for 2* characters.

Negatives
    ALL THE ROSTER SLOTS. icon_cry.gif
    Once you're at 3* roster echelon, leveling 2* characters is such a waste of ISO.

Not really sure what I'll do personally; I've been on the edge of selling some 2*s (Daken, Hawkeye) and low-cover 4*s (Kingpin, Hulkbuster) for a while now, since they're irrelevant to my normal play.
    This certainly isn't going to make make me squander HP & ISO on the 2* I'd have zero value from (Captain Marvel, Johnny Storm, etc.), but it does make it harder to pull the trigger on those I already have...

Rats!

N.B. Yes; if 3* versions of 2* would count, that'd be a different kettle of fish.
  • TheVulture wrote:
    Yup; definitely looks like we're headed for that model.

Positives
    Not so important if you miss a 3* release, since only 1/3 of the next event's essentials.
    Some significance for 2* characters.

Negatives
    ALL THE ROSTER SLOTS. icon_cry.gif
    Once you're at 3* roster echelon, leveling 2* characters is such a waste of ISO.

Not really sure what I'll do personally; I've been on the edge of selling some 2*s (Daken, Hawkeye) and low-cover 4*s (Kingpin, Hulkbuster) for a while now, since they're irrelevant to my normal play.
    This certainly isn't going to make make me squander HP & ISO on the 2* I'd have zero value from (Captain Marvel, Johnny Storm, etc.), but it does make it harder to pull the trigger on those I already have...

Rats!

N.B. Yes; if 3* versions of 2* would count, that'd be a different kettle of fish.

Yeah, same for me. At best I'll roster a 1-cover version, then dump them again. No interest in rebuilding long-since abandoned characters. If it comes to me needing 3X the roster slots to be effective, I'll likely just move on.

DBC
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    I really really really wish stuff like that would be communicated proactively.

I can understand why they never say how MMR works and how they tinker with it, but where's the harm in letting know people in advance that they'll need 2* chars in PVE from now on?
    And whether the 3* equivalents can be used interchangeably?
    And whether the different ways things worked in TaT was intended or buggy behaviour?

Seriously, they knew what they were doing when they set up the PVEs - there is no excuse for not making a post on Thursday (so they still have Friday to answer questions) explaining what's going on.

Instead we're left guessing for the millionth time.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Why would it be a mistake?

We would have heard about it by now if it were. They've been modifying the PvE's slightly with the new time slices and sub end times rule. It's not unreasonable for them to make some 2*'s featured in nodes.

PvE is a mode catered to all tiers of play. Making it a bit more accessible to newer players is probably a good thing since it's the ONLY mode of play where they have a chance to shine.
  • safaridan
    safaridan Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    patrice789 wrote:
    yeah, I hope not. They fixed the 2* essential, since I can now place my 3* cap instead of my 2* cap in it's place icon_e_smile.gif

I just noticed in the new sub, 3* cap doesn't work again. D3 giveth...
  • Argon Flame
    Argon Flame Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Hmmm I just rocked Steve Rogers through the Capt. America required node.
    Will need to check to see if happens in the next sub as per Safaridan's post.
  • TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 439 Mover and Shaker
    Hmmm I just rocked Steve Rogers through the Capt. America required node.
    Will need to check to see if happens in the next sub as per Safaridan's post.

It was just for that map - he's back to locked in the final one.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    The only problem I have with this is being forced to take a 2* into a fight against opponents over level 300. If they are going to make me use weaker characters with less health, then shouldn't I be facing weaker opponents with less health? Being aloud to use any version of an essential character would be the best way to go IMO.
  • After seeing Steve Rogers allowed to be used I'm okay with this idea if they made sure they only use 2* that have a 3* counterpart for essentials. So no Bullseye, for example.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Maybe it's just me, but my essential nodes are only around level 150-something, so they are perfectly copeable using a max 2-star character. Are people actually getting scaled past level 300 for those nodes?
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yay, yet another change that provides an advantage for 2-3* transitioners at the expense of 3-4* transitioners (who have a hard time hanging on to every 2* due to the exorbitantly high roster slot prices). Good, we haven't had enough of those lately.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2015
    Well, 2* Captain America was an essential in TaT, and he was rewarded as a progression reward. 2* Thor is rewarded as a progression reward in Heroic, and required as an essential.

So basically, if you don't have the required 2*, you'll only miss one node for a couple of rounds, before you get it as a reward anyway. If they maintain that pattern, you really only need one roster slot available as a 'rotating' 2*. Get the reward, use it for the current PvE, delete it and repeat with the next.

It's certainly less of a hassle for people to gain the 2*, than for anyone who's missing the required 3* or 4* to magically get a cover. (Hell, by the time I was in round 3 of TaT, I'd sold 3 extra 2* Captain America covers - and I'm currently 4th in my main bracket, despite missing the 2* node in the first sub.) And at least it gives 2* players an essential node they'll be likely to have someone for.

Doesn't seem like much of a problem, tbh.
  • Kiamodo
    Kiamodo Posts: 423 Mover and Shaker
    Devs please stop.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    I do not get why so many people are upset over this especially sine Steve Rogers is available as opposed to using the 2 star. Stop crying how evil you think D3 is and pay attention.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Der_Lex wrote:
    Yay, yet another change that provides an advantage for 2-3* transitioners at the expense of 3-4* transitioners (who have a hard time hanging on to every 2* due to the exorbitantly high roster slot prices). Good, we haven't had enough of those lately.
    If you are having problems with retaining characters for essentials, just keep one roster slot free specifically for it and keep your 2-star draws in your recruit queue, only selling them the day before they expire. Once a 2-star character becomes essential, you can recruit them into that spare slot. When the event is over, you can recycle that slot for the next essential character.

2-star rewards are super easy to come by these days and the chances are you will have earned at least 1 cover of each character within a week.

You also don't really need to level the essential character. Just imagine it like using a loaner character on PvP. Obviously people with a well-leveled 2-star will be at an advantage but it doesn't really affect your game that much since it's just one node per sub. You can fill the other two places with your good 3-star characters and easily clear it.

Well, this is assuming that they will be continuing to require a 2-star character for essentials every pve event. For all we know they will change their mind in a couple of weeks.
  • Hmmmm... To think i just got back into MPQ and was debating whether or not i should start putting some time in and joining a more serious alliance again... But i guess they decided to answer that question for me with an astounding "NO, Don't do it" by making this change to essential nodes...