4* transition?

wymtime
wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
edited May 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
So in the MPQ Community Q&A #3 – December - Answer Time!. D3 said they were going to make the 4* transition easier than the 2-3* transition. You also said you are going to release a lot more 4*. Well D3 you have kept one of those promises and have released a lot more 4* characters as we now have 10 4* characters in the game. The 3-4* transition is not any easier than the 2-3* transition. The only way to get 4* is place 1st in PVP or PVE or hit 1000 points in PVP. The problem with the 1000 progression is with 9 four stars in rotation it will take 39 weeks to go from 0 covers to 13 just using the 1000 progression. With more 4* comming out monthly it is only going to drag out the 4* progression. I have 36 cover maxed 3* but only 2 cover maxed 4* Xforce and IW.

So the main question is how is the 4* transition suppose to be easier now 5 months later than it was in December? Shield cooldowns, and MMR have made it more difficult for me becuase I have a job I care about and it is difficult to take a 20 min break to shield hop because that is the time my shield will be available again, or will run out.

There are a lot of good things going on with DDQ, Ultron event( yes I liked it), buffing multiple characters for the week, better token odds. The 4* transition is still missing. I would, and I imagine many players would like to know how you are going to make this easier than the 2-3* transition, because now unless you bring out the $$ it is way too long.

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Weekly buffed 3* characters means there is absolutely no need to transition to 4*s.
  • wymtime
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Weekly buffed 3* characters means there is absolutely no need to transition to 4*s.
    I agree that you don't need to transition if you have weekly buffed characters. The point is players should still be able to transition, and the Devs said they were going to make it easier. I am not interested in spending $100 real money on HulkBuster, but I want to be able to play him as a fully covered character. Waiting 30 weeks to do so feels like a really long time, especially if I fail to hit 10000 progression because of real life. It might not be needed per say but that should not make 3/4 of a year to do either.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    If the ultron boss event becomes a standard release event for future 4*'s than that would certainly be a HUGE boost to transitioners.
    The ISO cost reduction also makes them more accessible once you find enough covers.

That said, I have to agree with the OP. The 1000 prog reward is the most reliable means of getting them and it's only become more challenging over time. If you 'guess' the wrong shard to join then you can kiss your 1000 progression reward goodbye. It's not a great time to be a 4* transitioner.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    There currently is no true transition to fours. You either buy, or you play at insane levels and spend hp in other ways. 4*'s are mostly pay to win them at this point. Until they fix this, I have stopped playing. I have enough 3*'s, I want to play with the new 4* toys.
  • wymtime
    wirius wrote:
    There currently is no true transition to fours. You either buy, or you play at insane levels and spend hp in other ways. 4*'s are mostly pay to win them at this point. Until they fix this, I have stopped playing. I have enough 3*'s, I want to play with the new 4* toys.
    Is is doubly so with 4* IM and Kingpin having such huge health. When they are buffed they are going to take a while to take down meaning you will take damage and need health packs. Hulkbuster especially, when he is buffed is anyone really going to be able to deny him red, black and blue when he has over 20k health when buffed? paying for him is now the only way to get 13 covers unless you want to hit 1000 points 8-10 times at his specific events over the next 6 months.

I also agree, I like the Ultron event to release 4* as it is easier to get 2-3 covers, and then running a PVE where you can earn him again. The issue then becomes the other 6-7 covers you need.
  • If by "easier" they meant "less relevant" then sure, it's easier to transition to 4* in the sense they are less necessary to compete than 3*s are to a 2* roster.
  • NO such thing as 4* transition since any 4* that's better than 3* gets nerfed unconscious.

I wouldn't worry about 4* transition. By time you get the character it'll get nerfed, plus weekly buffs.

They're not essential for (most) PVEs.

They're rarely featured in PVPs.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Blade is strong in 3* trim. He's ripped and hopped up on 'roids when he's 240 for a week.

I've all but mothballed XFW. I'd sooner roll Invisible Woman, for those sweet protect tiles.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    ronin-san wrote:
    Blade is strong in 3* trim. He's ripped and hopped up on 'roids when he's 240 for a week.

I've all but mothballed XFW. I'd sooner roll Invisible Woman, for those sweet protect tiles.

I dunno, I've been using my little underlevelled XF to grind the hardest nodes in TaT. He slices! He dices! He kills everyone dead! He's too squishy and a giant target for normal pvp with everyone's health boosted, but he's still a pve monster.
  • Well...I don't foresee PVPs with everyone having maxed 4* being very much fun. There's supposed to be more of a challenge to build a 4* roster.

The ISO-8 required to max a 4* has already been lowered significantly. I think that is a great concession in itself as it is. Making covers too easily attainable wouldn't make the game much of a challenge at all.
  • MarvelDestiny
    MarvelDestiny Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    loh_jh wrote:
    Well...I don't foresee PVPs with everyone having maxed 4* being very much fun. There's supposed to be more of a challenge to build a 4* roster.

The ISO-8 required to max a 4* has already been lowered significantly. I think that is a great concession in itself as it is. Making covers too easily attainable wouldn't make the game much of a challenge at all.

I'm not saying you don't have a point but the challenge I want occurs on the playboard, not my roster.
  • I would love to see a Dev comment on this. Communication is key fellas.
  • Druss
    Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    There is no 4* Progression.

Whether there is a need to even bother is another question.

I'm pretty sure that no-one is able to get from 0-1000 in PvP without spending HP (money). (There may be a few, but undoubtedly they would already have the 4* covers anyway). Shield hoping is required for high end PvP scoring - Roster is irrelevant.

Whereas the 2 -> 3* transition did take a lot of time, it was possible to do without being pay to win - not so the 3 -> 4*
  • wymtime
    Druss wrote:
    There is no 4* Progression.

Whether there is a need to even bother is another question.

I'm pretty sure that no-one is able to get from 0-1000 in PvP without spending HP (money). (There may be a few, but undoubtedly they would already have the 4* covers anyway). Shield hoping is required for high end PvP scoring - Roster is irrelevant.

Whereas the 2 -> 3* transition did take a lot of time, it was possible to do without being pay to win - not so the 3 -> 4*
    In the right bracket with the right 3* buffed I have hit 1000 with 2 shields so I stayed HP positive. If I want to get o 1000 it is probably 3 shields most of the time and you end up to be slightly hp negative depending on your alliance. Hence the reason for my post, how is this suppose to be easier than the 2-3 transition?
  • Phillipes
    Phillipes Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Is there any 4* transition?
    Really?
  • Rogan_Josh
    Rogan_Josh Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    Currently 4 star.png characters aren't and will not be much more powerful than their lower cousins. In terms of investment of resources they're embarrassingly outclassed by the 3 star.png guys.

Not saying 4 star.png are **** (some are) but they don't offer the same bump in power that a 2 star.png - 3 star.png transition does. TL;DR they're optional and a resource sink.
  • RWTDBurn
    RWTDBurn Posts: 291
    Yeah, as others have said, there is no 3* to 4* transition. Even before the buffed weekly 3*s the existing 4* that were a level above 3*s were nerfed to the level of mid to very good 3*s. Add the weekly buffs and there are only 1 or 2 4*s even worth investing ISO in to level them. Then once you factor in D3's "nerf any 4* that is good" policy and I would fully understand why people wouldn't invest a single ISO into them. The reality is, 4*s are just overpriced 3*s that will only have 1 PvP event that features them then they are never needed again.
  • This deserves to be bumped on a regular basis until we get a red answer in this thread. I realized yesterday, when I didn't feel like putting forth the very great effort that would be required to maybe score another TGT cover, that there was really no other way to get those covers.

Last year, at about this time, I almost quit completely because there was nothing to aspire to once you had a decent 3* roster. History appears to be repeating itself.
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Honestly, after the nerfs to XFW and 4or, why waste resources on characters who are probably going to get nerfed? I don't see HB lasting all that long. The black to red combo is a nightmare to deal with @ a 5/5/3 build and while he's not as OP as original 4or, he's pretty bad. I've been hitting low to mid 900s on 1-2 shields per event this season and I've been enjoying the game more. 1k? Who needs that icon_lol.gif
  • PROS:
    - Ultron pve made getting covers 4* more easier than a pve, since many alliances got to Round 8, even being unable to get the last, i could say it was less messy than a pve
    - Ultron pve tokens did have a decent chance of actually giving the featured 4*

CONS:
    - Not all the existing 4* are amazing material to deal with, the buff to Elektra isnt exactly a game changer, the nerf to X was too much
    - Boosted 3* practically kill the bad 4*, health advantage is lost
    - Adding Ultron pve and running a Hulkbuster pve in a shared period the same time was ****, i had a benefit from it, but i dont think the majority of ppl had that chance
    - The health increase makes getting 1k on pvp an exercise of patience, possible but you need to devote more time to it, not exactly making transition calmer
    - All the good of Ultron pve was just for one character, so it doesn't help transition particulary for all the rest

If all new 4* will be introduced as a similar or repeated Ultron pve, it could help for new ones, but nothing guarantees and improvement for the rest