How many of you had to give up on PVE due to nerfs? :(

Options
For me, I had been consistently getting a good score. At least during the times when I didn't have work to do.

I had been entirely dependant on Thor and Wolverine to fight the 230 enemies. I use OBW for mobs, Spider Man for villains.

For the 230 villains, I previously could gather enough blues, stun lock them, then unleash the strike tiles with Red Yellow combos.

After the nerfs, both Thor and Wolverine performed so poorly against them, I had to switch at least one of them out. The only suitable replacement I had was Daken, and I can't use Ares cos I was fighting him.

Needless to say, it did not end well. My Spidey is dead long before I have enough Blue to stunlock them.

I have better results fighting Maggia though. OBW and Spidey puts the mobs in lock down.

Thor and Wolvie had been my crutch against 230s. Without them, I can't even progress....

Anyone else had to give up?

Comments

• I switched to punisher if you have one that is decent that is mine 141, but I hear you the missions are stupid ridiculous. Takes the fun out of the game. I hope this was just a trial run on this **** new system. icon_e_confused.gif
  • It is a trial run.

Sucks for those of us who relied solely on Thorverine, but judging from the scoreboard, thousands of other people are doing so well.

Just makes me feel worse that I have nothing other than those 2 dudes. icon_e_sad.gif
  • I had to take a more cautious approach: OBW (heals, countdowns, AP stealing), IM40 (AP generation and the occasional nuke), and either Wolv or Punisher.
  • I quit out of protest. But my principals have never been that great, so I'm doing this last sub mission out of boredom.

If it weren't for my Spidey, I wouldn't stand a chance.

Due to my previous inactivity, rubber banding is going to get me an easy 1st or 2nd place win. I feel bad for the people in my bracket.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    I quit out of protest. But my principals have never been that great, so I'm doing this last sub mission out of boredom.

If it weren't for my Spidey, I wouldn't stand a chance.

Due to my previous inactivity, rubber banding is going to get me an easy 1st or 2nd place win. I feel bad for the people in my bracket.

I hear you in that Spidey/OBW/Patch is how I'm doing it now but man every fight being 230s is just flat brutal and had me mostly give up for awhile due to changes in both Wolfie and the buffs. One or the other and I would have been fine but nuking both just made the 230s crazy harder.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Options
    mechgouki wrote:
    It is a trial run.

Sucks for those of us who relied solely on Thorverine, but judging from the scoreboard, thousands of other people are doing so well.

Just makes me feel worse that I have nothing other than those 2 dudes. icon_e_sad.gif

Can you post who you have that way I can give you sound advice on what and who to put your time in on example:

141 C MAg 5/3/5 141 Spidey 5/5/3 115 Rag 5/5 115 DD 5/5 163 Wolvie 5/5/3 85 Ares 4/4/5 85 Mag 4/5/4 74 Hulk 5/2/3 70 C Storm 5/5/3 69 Daken 5/5
    141 Punisher 2/5/4 IM40 5/4/4 50 im35 5/5/3 50 Storm 4/5/4 43 OBW 3/5/5 40 BW 5/5 40 Venom 5/5 38 IW 0/0/2 36 Moonstone 5/5/3 33 Hood 3/5/5
    30 Loki 5/5 18 Cap America 5/5/3 55 Wolvie Patch 3/3/2 7 Bullseye 5/5 6 Hawkee 5/5/3 6 Bag Man 4/5/4 6 Jug 5/5
  • I had to quit because it was unbeatable without boosts. I was actually doing pretty well and thought I could have a chance at a DD cover until everything went to spit.

And honestly, I refuse to spend my limited gaming time LOSING ON PURPOSE just so I have a chance at winning. What an asinine system.

Edit: Ironically, the reward for 1000th place (3x standard tokens) is better than anything short of the top 200 (?). Everything in between was a useless Cap cover... at least this way I have a super slim chance of getting a 3* I could use. :-/
  • 85 Thor 5/5/3
    85 Astonishing Wolvie 5/3/5
    84 C Storm 5/5/3
    85 Ares 4/4/5
    75 Spiderman 5/5/3
    71 Modern Hawkeye 5/5/3
    69 Daken
    55 Punisher 3/5/5
    58 Original Black Widow 3/5/3
    70 Iron Man 40 5/5/3

Everyone else is below 50
  • farlus
    farlus Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Rode my OBW / Wolverine / IM40 team the whole time and am the proud owner of a shiny DD. No boosts, no tanking. It was tough and a real grind, but worth it to win as a mid level player in spite of the broken system.
  • I struggled raising enough iso for buffs on tough fights (and ran out at the end), but didn't find characters a problem. It required switching teams a lot more to combat the particular enemies, rather than just blasting through 90% of the tournament with thor/wolverine(2*)/other as I had done previously.
  • I was also an owner of 85 Thorolvine.

After that, I ran an 80 Spidey/ 50 Patch / 35 OBW and did pretty much every mission that didn't have Ares. No way I was playing his missions with that team LoL
  • windfallstar
    Options
    I gave up on the PvE due to the enemy levels rather than the nerfs to my characters.
  • I gave up on the PvE due to the enemy levels rather than the nerfs to my characters.

This ^^^^^^^

After that, I ran an 80 Spidey/ 50 Patch / 35 OBW and did pretty much every mission that didn't have Ares. No way I was playing his missions with that team LoL
    That comp worked for me throughout the whole event. 130Spidey/54Patch/85OBW
    Ended up getting in the top 50 after getting knocked down by teams running with rosters that had around 1-2 lvl 50 covers as their strongest characters in the top 10.

That comp worked for me throughout the whole event. 130Spidey/54Patch/85OBW
    Ended up getting in the top 50 after getting knocked down by teams running with rosters that had around 1-2 lvl 50 covers as their strongest characters in the top 10.

I don't really understand this part. Are you saying the game mechanic favors players with rosters less than lv 50?

Is there a topic that you can refer me to on this part?
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Options
    I was also an owner of 85 Thorolvine.

I ran the same characters within 5 levels. Leveled Patch to 72 by the end. Ran a +3 b/p boost most events. If Patch took the green hit or sunder at full health he had a decent chance to live. Spidey or OBW were 1 shot though.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I cam into the tournament with a 1/2/2 Patch and I never stopped playing him.

Without him all the 230s had to omuch health. I need to level him a lot more before the second iteration of this event so that he can tank more hits and so his strike tiles deliver the goods.
  • In TAT, I rode 85 OBW, 70 Patch (100 Patch at the end. sold my 2* wolv) and switched between 85 ARES and 90 Punisher to 2nd place in my PVE bracket.

I got first in all but 1 sub-event by not entering until 11 hours left and doing only 2 refreshes.
    I did not use boosts (okay okay i used +3 blue/purple in the last hour)

ALTHOUGH I did tank the PVE missions A LOT. I mean I tanked everything down until the first mission was at it's minimum level.

I really don't want to tank PVE anymore.
  • Fortunately for me, my 2/4/1 Patch became my go-to, especially because of the buff. My team was usually Patch/OBW/Daken, Thor just became an optional third, when Daken was locked. Juggs was also an option when fighting a lot of Maggia.

Thor was definitely my highest leveled character for most of the tournament, though, so the nerfs do hurt a bit.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Options
    My patch was fully covered by the end of the second sub and I leveled him to 40. He was a beast, never left my side. With his buff, and partnered with OBW 75 who doubled his damage on blue black and purple matches after dropping strikes, they tore through pretty much everything a few turns after the three green match berserker rage. 77 Spidey backed them up when I wasn't forced to use someone else. Nope, needless to say I never gave up.