TaT - Is the two-star Captain America essential an oops?

13»

Comments

• Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    puppychow wrote:
    mouser wrote:
    Your logic is contradictory here. Roster slots don't evaporate when you trash the character using them. Worst case for players that need to buy an extra roster slot for 2* Cap is that they get rid of him after the event and later re-use that empty roster slot on another new upcoming character they would have bought it for anyway.

Some players want to stick to the f2p philosophy, and only spend hp earned from events. Since D3 has been cheap in doling out hp rewards, such players have a hard time coming up with the hp to buy more slots.
    Plus you get to hold the reward for up to 2 weeks to scrounge up the required hp.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Remember when Gold characters were introduced and we were told that they'd be interchangeable with their 2* counterparts whenever one was required and then that never happened (until Ultron)? Ha ha, good times!

Also, the Magneto required nodes in ISO-8 brotherhood always let you pick either Magneto. I think this also happened recently in either Gauntlet or Simulator PvE, but only with Magneto.

Is there a chance that this is the way multiple rarities of the same character are supposed to work, but it's just never been implemented properly? Going back to Ultron again, even though only 1* and 3* Widow were buffed, I could still use OBW in the Widow required nodes.

Give me consistency dammit!
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    Could we at least get some advance notice on these things? Like others have said, I sold off a ton of 2* Caps, and now I'm waiting for one to show up. I would have bought a slot for him, and then dumped him afterwards. Vision is going to require a place after all.
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    If they wanted to give a chance for 2* rosters, then they could do the same how it was during Ultron event: both 2* and 3* Captain America should be possible for use.
  • mouser wrote:
    stowaway wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:
    I love it.

It gives the 2-3 * transitioners an uncommon advantage over the four star kids. Yes, there is a **** Hulkbuster, *** Storm, and ** Cap as the boosted required characters for this event.

No one ever says, "are you kidding me, a **** required character! How are the ** players supposed to play those events?"

I'm a big fan of them mostly requiring *** characters, with the occasional **** character thrown in. I'm a bigger fan of balancing the **** requirement with an easier to meet ** requirement.

It doesn't even really help the 2-3* transitioners. 2* Cap is a progression reward at the 11k mark. And I'll probably pull one from some token or PvP node before then. So it gives a leg up for what? The first, lowest point value sub event? Then poof, no advantage.

Who it really benefits (aside from the hardcore collectors) is people who are willing and able to throw rosters slots at lousy characters and then trash them as soon as the event is over. That's the opposite of being a leg up for newer players.

Your logic is contradictory here. Roster slots don't evaporate when you trash the character using them. Worst case for players that need to buy an extra roster slot for 2* Cap is that they get rid of him after the event and later re-use that empty roster slot on another new upcoming character they would have bought it for anyway.

I haven't had a roster slot for 2* Cap for 9 months. PvE is a joke for me anyway. Worst cast is someone spending money on hero points for a roster slot for a garbage character because they don't have enough hero points.
  • puppychow wrote:
    mouser wrote:

Some players want to stick to the f2p philosophy, and only spend hp earned from events. Since D3 has been cheap in doling out hp rewards, such players have a hard time coming up with the hp to buy more slots.

I'm probably going to draw some hate for this, but ultimately D3 has to make money on the game. Trying to cater to people who are specifically sticking to f2p would be a losing strategy.

And I say that as someone that hasn't spent a dime on the game yet. Though Im at the point where I likely will be doing so soon, because roster slots are becoming precious as Im making the 1 to 2 star transition.

Edit: And, lol, Im actually sitting with one 2 star cap waiting to be claimed, which I hadn't done, because I got lucky and pulled a 3 star cap from the Ultron courtesy reward.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    Haetron wrote:
    I'm probably going to draw some hate for this, but ultimately D3 has to make money on the game. Trying to cater to people who are specifically sticking to f2p would be a losing strategy.

And I say that as someone that hasn't spent a dime on the game yet. Though Im at the point where I likely will be doing so soon, because roster slots are becoming precious as Im making the 1 to 2 star transition.

Edit: And, lol, Im actually sitting with one 2 star cap waiting to be claimed, which I hadn't done, because I got lucky and pulled a 3 star cap from the Ultron courtesy reward.

You realize that roster slots are a huge issue in this game? And they start costing over 1000 HP after a while, that is ridiculous to ask us to keep around star.pngstar.png's just in case we need them. They've already pulled this trick with DDQ, now its a specific char...

Maybe if roster slots were capped at a certain price noone would care. As it is now, it smells of money-grab.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    MikeHock wrote:
    I haven't had a roster slot for 2* Cap for 9 months. PvE is a joke for me anyway. Worst cast is someone spending money on hero points for a roster slot for a garbage character because they don't have enough hero points.

What were you planning to do with the main reward from this PVE, Vision? I suppose you don't need to play the PVE to win him or keep him if you do, but if that were the case then it wouldn't really matter whether you had a 2* Cap anyway.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    mouser wrote:
    MikeHock wrote:

What were you planning to do with the main reward from this PVE, Vision? I suppose you don't need to play the PVE to win him or keep him if you do, but if that were the case then it wouldn't really matter whether you had a 2* Cap anyway.

You get rid of another 2* to free up the next roster slot.

I've only ditched Bagman (never leveled), Bullseye (fully leveled, but no 3rd ability), and MMN (since he was worth HP). I have every other 2* fully leveled on roster - and last time I bought a roster slot, I felt sick about it. Why waste that HP on characters that I don't even want to ever have to use? I can't wait for Moonstone buff so I can sell her for HP, Cap America and Cap Marvel were on my "get rid of next" list, and that's a long, long list at this point.

If they want us to use 2*'s:

A) Let us know we have to keep them before events, rather than creating an expectation that they won't be needed once you hit the next transition
    B) Make roster slots much cheaper (or free), so characters can actually be kept

They have released six characters in seven weeks, to keep one of every one costs 900+ HP each time. They aren't releasing 900 HP a week, so the -only- way to keep one of everyone is to pay for them. This needs to be addressed.
  • mouser wrote:
    MikeHock wrote:

Since I'm only playing the daily deadpool, that question really does not apply to me as much. The various nerfs and changes have pretty much pushed me out the door. Still, if I won a Vision cover, it would be in my que for 2 weeks, right? That would give me some time to accumulate some hero points as opposed to unnecessarily spending $$$ on hero points for a cr@p character like 2* Cap, wouldn't you say?

We've seen the comments from D3 on this matter. They want us to "make difficult roster decisions" so I'm sure they've had an orgasm each time I have had to delete a 2* off my roster to make room for a new 3* or 4*.

What is the cost for your next roster slot? Mine is either 700 or 750 hero points.
  • I vaguely remember 2* Cap being required for another event a long time ago, not sure if it's the same one or not.

And anyway, I don't know what you people are complaining about. 2* cap is vastly OP. The devs need to nerf him.
  • sinnerjfl wrote:
    Haetron wrote:

You realize that roster slots are a huge issue in this game? And they start costing over 1000 HP after a while, that is ridiculous to ask us to keep around star.pngstar.png's just in case we need them. They've already pulled this trick with DDQ, now its a specific char...

Maybe if roster slots were capped at a certain price noone would care. As it is now, it smells of money-grab.

Absolutely, and I've decided Im at the point where Im going to just buy my roster slots early while they're discounted, (Im at the 3 for 300 HP mark) as a result. I still can't fault a developer for trying to "grab money" as that's how a game stays supported. This is one of the few f2p games Ive seen where the currency is earnable "in game" without purchasing anything if a player has enough skill level, which means they have to make purchasing the currency an option the player may consider.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    I really like it when Vets come in to this thread and tell transitioners how they should be feeling and how the 2* Cap essential does not benefit them.

It shows me that they are really in touch with how I should be feeling and what I should be thinking, especially when it disagrees with the way I am feeling and thinking. That kind of corrective nudge is all I needed to get back on track and thinking and feeling how I ought to.

2* essential nodes, especially 2* essential nodes of characters that have 3* equivalents (with the exception of OBW), are terrible for everyone and should never be repeated.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Haetron wrote:
    Absolutely, and I've decided Im at the point where Im going to just buy my roster slots early while they're discounted, (Im at the 3 for 300 HP mark) as a result. I still can't fault a developer for trying to "grab money" as that's how a game stays supported. This is one of the few f2p games Ive seen where the currency is earnable "in game" without purchasing anything if a player has enough skill level, which means they have to make purchasing the currency an option the player may consider.

Oh to be where you are again. So innocent. Believing that F2P MPQ is going to be a reality for you.

Then one day, you get a 4* reward and you don't have the roster space to support that reward. Then you realize that it is going to be forever before you can use that reward, because a level 70 single cover 4* is worse than most level 50 max cover 1*s. You now have this reward just taking up roster space that you can't bring yourself to sell, because you know that someday you are going to play 4*s.

Then it gets to the point where your roster space increases are going to cost you 300 more HP than you have, but it is a 3* character that you earned through PvE for the first time. So you buy a little HP. Why not, it is just a little bit, you can afford it.

And then the next time you need more, you say, "why not, it's just a little bit, I can afford it."

Then it becomes, "well, since I know it is more economical to do so, I'll just buy the next package up, because I know that I'm going to eventually need it."

You don't even realize what has happened to you, but you are holding a sign on the street corner that says that you will do inappropriate things for $$$ to buy MPQ points.
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Buret0 wrote:
    You don't even realize what has happened to you, but you are holding a sign on the street corner that says that you will do inappropriate things for $$$ to buy MPQ points.

icon_lol.gif OMG, yes; this.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    sinnerjfl wrote:

I had to pay 1,050 hp for my 81st slot for my Hulkbuster covers. That being said, D3 needs to make money to pay for servers, electricity, licensing fee to Marvel, programmers, etc. And selling slots is one of the way that they raise revenue.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    They'd still make money if they capped the price... don't you try to justify this never-ending rise in cost for roster slots.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    puppychow wrote:
    sinnerjfl wrote:

I had to pay 1,050 hp for my 81st slot for my Hulkbuster covers. That being said, D3 needs to make money to pay for servers, electricity, licensing fee to Marvel, programmers, etc. And selling slots is one of the way that they raise revenue.

This would make sense if they didn't directly tell us that rising costs of roster slots is a problem that they are trying to solve in one of their video Q&A sessions.
  • I'm finding it incredibly frustrating this time around because two of the three essentials are now dead weight characters, and so they're essentially 2 on 3 battles. I wish they'd allow us to use 3* Cap so I'd at least have someone contributing in some way.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    3* Cap is usable in the Cap required node of Scotland Yard sub.

Edit: Just for clarification, 3* cap is not buffed. I wasn't expecting it, and he's stronger than buffed 2* cap, so it's not really a problem.