TaT - Is the two-star Captain America essential an oops?

As per subject line - one of the essentials in Thick as Thieves is Captain America. The two star version rather than the three (***Steve is locked out). I don't mind, really, as I have both, but I'm curious as to whether this was intentional or an oops moment.

Comments

• I really doubt it. They usually pick a rainbow cast of 2* and a rainbow cast of 3* to go together, though with more 3*, they're boosting more than just 3 - 3* now.

The powered up 2* this week are BW (Active Purple, Blue purpletile.pngbluetile.png ), Torch ( Red, Black, Green, redtile.pngblacktile.pnggreentile.png), so they needed a 2* with an active yellow ability yellowtile.png . 2* Cap fits the bill, and is relatively underused. Plus they've buffed 2* Cap Marvel enough; sick of seeing her buffed.
  • orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 344 Mover and Shaker
    Wait.

Are they actually requiring a 2* character as an essential in a 3* release?

Are you kidding me?

Or can we use the 3* version as well?
  • Meto5000
    Meto5000 Posts: 583
    orionpeace wrote:
    Wait.

Are you kidding me?

Update plsthx...need to know if I have to dig through shield sim to find a token.
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    2* Cap? No kidding... I don't have him for a long time and have just sell a cover today's morning...
  • orionpeace wrote:
    Wait.

Are you kidding me?

3* Stevie Wonderbread is locked out of that essential.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    smoq84 wrote:
    2* Cap? No kidding... I don't have him for a long time and have just sell a cover today's morning...

Same, don't have him, and sold a mess of him lately.. ugh!!
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2015
    Good news, you can get 2* Cap for only 200 points in Beast PVP

Edit
    I assume this is a mistake ala 3* torch as a 500 point PVP reward awhile back
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2015
    If this is not a mistake, it's hard to not see this as being a ploy to sell more roster slots. Now you have to keep even star.pngstar.png's for essentials!
  • This is a huge deal. They've never (as far I can remember) had a back catalog 2* as an essential before, and this happened really suddenly.

It feels like a cruel joke. How can we play this game effectively if they play tricks like this?

This is worse than Daily Deadpool, because at least then, it was a new event, and we had to catch up to its rules. For PVE, the rules have always been that you'll need the newest character and possibly a specific 3*. We knew we'd need Hulkbuster, and 3* Storm is a fair inclusion. But we sold our useless 2*s a long time ago because they were useless. Nobody even hinted they'd become useful.
  • Once upon a time Captain America (2*) was an essential character in Iso 8 Brotherhood, though that's the only case I can think of where a 2* was an essential character that wasn't because a previous event just released the said 2*.

This does seem to be a pretty bad idea.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    this might just be telling me to take a couple of pve's off and take it easy. sold cap a little prior to ultron, worked my rear off to get my Lcap to 4/5/1 recently and he has saved my rear in EotS. now not only could i have used baby cap for ultron, now he's an essential for a *** release....great. vision's abilities look complicated on the surface and not sure I want to keep spending hp on slots for now. maybe I just take a pve grinding break and play for progression/match awards drops and a few tokens. catch a fresh slice tomorrow and coast to t150.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's a bad idea to do at all, never mind springing it on us with no warning in a debut PvE - that's just plain old dirty pool. If there are going to be back catalog 2* essentials going forward and drastically reduced HP/ISO rewards in PvE, I will probably stop playing that side of the game.

Edit: To elaborate, the reason 2* essentials are not cool isn't just because vets will sell off the ones they don't need anymore - it's because 2* characters are much, much worse than 3* characters and being forced to use them against enemies scaled for level 166+ teams hamstrings us. And since TAT is one of the events with overscaled Dark Avengers in the essentials, that's going to be a big roadblock in front of even people who still have a level 94 Modern Cap.
  • It's a bad idea to do at all, never mind springing it on us with no warning in a debut PvE - that's just plain old dirty pool. If there are going to be back catalog 2* essentials going forward and drastically reduced HP/ISO rewards in PvE, I will probably stop playing that side of the game.

Edit: To elaborate, the reason 2* essentials are not cool isn't just because vets will sell off the ones they don't need anymore - it's because 2* characters are much, much worse than 3* characters and being forced to use them against enemies scaled for level 166+ teams hamstrings us. And since TAT is one of the events with overscaled Dark Avengers in the essentials, that's going to be a big roadblock in front of even people who still have a level 94 Modern Cap.

Even ignoring issues like some 2* just suck, a lot of them are completely redundant version of their 3* counterparts and just a waste of a roster slot. You could in theory keep Bagman and Bullseye around on the false hope that some day they'll be buffed. Can't really say that about Captain America, Human Torch, or Daken who are pretty much a strictly inferior version of their 3* counterpart. I happen to have Captain America 2* around for no particular reason but that doesn't make it right.
  • Could this be so that someone in the 2-3 star transition might still have a chance to participate in the event and get the new character?
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    I love it.

It gives the 2-3 * transitioners an uncommon advantage over the four star kids. Yes, there is a **** Hulkbuster, *** Storm, and ** Cap as the boosted required characters for this event.

No one ever says, "are you kidding me, a **** required character! How are the ** players supposed to play those events?"

I'm a big fan of them mostly requiring *** characters, with the occasional **** character thrown in. I'm a bigger fan of balancing the **** requirement with an easier to meet ** requirement.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2015
    Buret0 wrote:
    I love it.

It gives the 2-3 * transitioners an uncommon advantage over the four star kids. Yes, there is a **** Hulkbuster, *** Storm, and ** Cap as the boosted required characters for this event.

They already have an advantage in the form of ridiculous scaling. Look at the top PVEers with their maxed covered 3* and 4* characters at lvl 94.
    No one ever says, "are you kidding me, a **** required character! How are the ** players supposed to play those events?"

Veterans need new covers, while 2/3* transitionals need any cover. How is it fair that they have even more of an advantage now to take the one thing that veterans need?

You won't be loving it when your roster grows and it costs you insane amounts of HP to keep them for absolutely no reason other than the inane reason D3 has just created. 2* cap does everything 3* does but much much worse. This is either a mistake, or a money grab, plain and simple.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Buret0 wrote:
    I love it.

I'm a big fan of them mostly requiring *** characters, with the occasional **** character thrown in. I'm a bigger fan of balancing the **** requirement with an easier to meet ** requirement.

I rather wish they'd go more like the Ultron route where the Required Character is any version of that character. The folks with the higher versions will obviously have an easier time of it, but those with 1 or 2 star versions can at least try.
  • Billigoat
    Billigoat Posts: 71
    Haetron wrote:
    Could this be so that someone in the 2-3 star transition might still have a chance to participate in the event and get the new character?

People in the 2-3 star transition are generally pitted up against others in their bracket. The first event I ever played in (my first week in the game) I finished in the top ten.
  • Nobody who plays competitively in PvE is going to be shut out of a top X finish just because some 2* is now required. Once the initial shock wears off, assuming this becomes a persistent thing that just means you got to keep spots for Bullseye or whoever instead of using that HP for whatever else you normally would do. It seems to be a rather pointless move unless the point is to extract more out of roster slots, and while I am quite supportive of the game finding more ways to get value out of money, asking people to have 50 or 75 roster slots with quite a few devoted to absolutely unplayable characters doesn't strike me as the most risk-free way of extracting more money.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buret0 wrote:
    I love it.

My node is 216/217/217 and I'm forced to take along an almost worthless 2*. If the levels were scaled down to compensate it might be okay but 2* Cap's 1063 damage shield is not cutting it when the enemy has 13k life.