Who did you use for Red Shift? -> Why PVP is now fun.

2»

Comments

• Joey Jellico
    Joey Jellico Posts: 103
    Used a variety. Didn't matter, for each match I won after 600 points I lost 2. Avg net gain of -22. Reaaallll funnn icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif
  • I used X-Force/Loki, and Groot/Random.

I got to a little over 400 points. Matches were long and annoying and I couldn't force myself to play for more than 2 matches in a row without wanting to put my phone down and do something else.

I don't like the new end times, I don't like the new health, I don't like the new character (Scarlet Witch), and I don't like the selection of buffed characters.
  • Alucard_I_Am
    Alucard_I_Am Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Dauthi wrote:
    cyineedsn wrote:
    How fun it was is in direct proportion to how many of the boosted characters you have, and how many of them are considered "good"... if you didn't have cyclops/kk/groot/others? Then you probably got massacred and it wasn't much fun...

True, though in this circumstance the only buffed character who isn't viable in PVP is Grey Suit. After forcing veterans to use the same characters for months, I feel like we deserve to have some fun again.

Actually I would disagree with gsbw not being viable in pvp. In predator and prey I pretty much only used bp 166, gsbw 140 before boost, hood 140 and I ended up at 1013 and took 1st in my bracket. For this pvp I used gsbw and hood a couple times but found better synergy with sw (5/5/3) 141 when I used cyclops 141 and KK (2/3/5) 127 all before boost. I dont remember seing to many xforce/4thor in my climb. The team I saw most was cyclops and either kk or rocket and groot.

Also like some mentioned after 900 you would get hit after 1 fight if you were lucky enough to finish the first fight without taking a hit. Tried shield hopping from 952 and after my first fight was knocked down to 931. So just shielded back up and decided to see where I ended up. Finished in 6th in my bracket.
  • Top teams were PX/GSBW, HB/PX and GT/CY

All of them.
  • Nereb wrote:
    Wanda
    Cyclops
    Hood

Scott was powered enough that he tanked blackflag.png and yellowflag.png

Yep this is what I used, breezed to 950. I actually felt like I was progressing this pvp, it wasn't 1 step forward 2 steps back for once.
  • d0nk3y
    d0nk3y Posts: 213
    Dauthi wrote:
    True, though in this circumstance the only buffed character who isn't viable in PVP is Grey Suit. After forcing veterans to use the same characters for months, I feel like we deserve to have some fun again.

I didn't try very hard, but I made it lazily to 500. Do you know how many Grockets, LCaps and LThors got dropped by my GSBW's Sniper Rifle? I think I finished 80% of all my fights with that attack. Her problem was that she tanked red, green and purple (and black, since I didn't have that color covered) so she got beat to pieces every match.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2015
    You don't see much diversity above the 800pt range. After 10 skips and still an endless list of maxed Cyclops-Thor is not my idea of fun. Its back to the old XForce-Thor exclusive club days.

Really? I hit 1k and it was all over the place. Honestly I would take a 4* Thor over a Rocket and Groot any day. If he gets that blue off you are going to get messed up, and that 15K HP with a heal is irritating. Thor is pretty manageable as long as Cyclops uses his red instead, or you take him out before he uses his yellow. I personally hated going up against those Scarlet Witches with lots of blue covers + Nick. They sting bad since he was buffed.
    d0nk3y wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:

I didn't try very hard, but I made it lazily to 500. Do you know how many Grockets, LCaps and LThors got dropped by my GSBW's Sniper Rifle? I think I finished 80% of all my fights with that attack. Her problem was that she tanked red, green and purple (and black, since I didn't have that color covered) so she got beat to pieces every match.

Offensively she is a beast, the problem is she is an easy target so it is a good thing you didn't go too high. The AI can't control her purple so her green will never go off, and her red is pretty bad and will likely never go off either. My first targets were GSBWs until they faded out of existence in the 700ish range.
    Earthcore wrote:
    Nereb wrote:
    Wanda
    Cyclops
    Hood

Scott was powered enough that he tanked blackflag.png and yellowflag.png

Yep this is what I used, breezed to 950. I actually felt like I was progressing this pvp, it wasn't 1 step forward 2 steps back for once.

I find it interesting people are still scared of Hood. He is a pushover but he can destroy you if you get a bad board. To relieve this I usually use my + all color damage% against them, and they drop fast for easy points. You don't even need to do abilities with that kind of match damage behind you. Best not to gamble with him, and if you don't it is usually lots of points for very little time played.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    SW, Cap, Hood. SW, Cap, She-Hulk. SW, Cap, Loki. SW, Black Panther, Hood. SW, Black Panther, She-Hulk. SW, Black Panther, Loki. I think there's a pattern here...

Score above 800, wanted the cover for another purple. Plenty of people were also climbing for yellow Xavier.
  • I stuck to my usual BP, Hood, Cage, LThor, XForce, Mags, Hulk, Patch. None of the boosted chars I had were over lvl 90.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buret0 wrote:
    Is it too much to ask to pair people up in PvP by the average level of their top ten characters? I worked my tail off to try and get the 800 point purple SW cover, but it was destined to failure because there's nothing you can do against players that have a huge natural level advantage over you.

Then what would be the point of developing or levelling a roster if your opponents are always selected to be your equals? The new meta would be to collect powerful characters, underlevel them and keep your roster tiny so you always have an advantage.

That's why they rank you on score and MMR. You can't be #1 without beating the best players and to beat the best you need the best roster. If you score high enough eventually you need to compete at a high level. And 800 points is well within that 'high level'. It's good enough to win some brackets and place top 10 in plenty. You think you shoudl be able to place #1 ahead of people with better rosters because well, I don't know. I don't know of many other competetions where you can place #1 by simply choosing to ignore opponents you can't beat.

But while you are down in the lower rankings your MMR keeps you from being roadkill, and someone with a tiny but optimised roster will have a better MMR and so you won't have to face each other.
  • MarvelDestiny
    MarvelDestiny Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    I enjoyed this event immensely for the most part. The diversity of teams was awesome to behold and the fights didn't get stale.

The problem I had in red shift and continue to have in the beast pvp is hitting a lot (and I mean a lot) of teams out of my weight class. The first 2-300 pts is a glorious rise and a lot of fun. But right around 275-350 it took 100s of iso to find a good match. I was skipping so much I felt like Dorothy on the yellow brick road. Oh, and the match points withered inversely with the amount of skipping so by the time I reached 500 I was lucky to find a match worth more than 19.
  • Loftus
    Loftus Posts: 79 Match Maker
    94 Hawkeye and 94 Rocket & Groot for me.

Made for very random matches which were, as you say, a ton of fun.

I'm steadily capping all my characters at 94 (got about 10 or so characters there now thanks to the reduced cost update) and i had a couple of choices but decided on those two. I've always used 2 star.png wolverine and OBW in pvp up until this point, and it felt weird changing. I was so comfortable with my previous pair that i was brave enough to take on most teams up until about level 120ish, depending on who was in it.

Now with this brand new pair i had to get my head around a whole different strategy and play-style, along with being more careful with my opponents. I had gotten so used to OBW's healing and ap stealing that i wasn't used to having to be careful so early on in matches.

I realised just how good Hawkeye's blast arrow is along with Rocket & Groot's blue ability. If i got lucky at the start of a match i could find myself speed shotting and blast shotting within 3-4 turns which would usually be an instant win. Flipside was if the board was predominantly black and purple i had a much tougher time. I had one of the most fun matches i've had in which i was facing ares and daken. i took the upper hand towards the end and had ares down to a couple hundred hp. Suddenly they get a cascade from hell, crit me and go on to hit me with onslaught, sunder, rampage, scarlet witches purple and daken's blue. Hawkeye was downed, Scarlet witch was downed and i had rocket & groot left on a couple hundred hp. I matched a yellow and went straight back up to about 4k, my blue countdown timer kicked in to give me the strike tiles i needed. I killed ares in one hit, the cascade that followed downed scarlet witch and i was then left in a one-on-one against daken, my healing prevailed over his and i ended up winning. I've never had a team that have been able to take such a barrage of attacks and then still go on to win.

tl;dr - was good, man.

EDIT: the first match i play immediately after this post i got absolutely smacked by 2 star.png Captain marvel and rocket & groot. Both my countdown timers got wiped out by captain marvel's yellow and from then on i was absolutely screwed, perfectly sums up what i mean about the risky nature of this team icon_lol.gif
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Doom and 3Thor.. and got my highest ranking ever (32) with my highest point total ever (733) in a PVP.. i loved it.
  • Cmags and Hood. Hood stalled long enough against all of the teams to allow me to use SW purpleflag.png and Cmags blueflag.png tore through enemy's to reach 800 points. Hood's blackflag.png was extremely useful in that it ticked down SW's countdown.png tiles and allowed for faster purpletile.png acceleration. I was able to pull off a lot of cascades with this team.

Edit: With this team, I only needed to use a healthpack.png every 4-5 matches.
  • Aidonis
    Aidonis Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Patch and Loki up til 600, then benched patch for Luke Cage. Work got in the way of my shield hops so I only managed to hit 725, which in my awesome bracket was good for 48th.

My brackets are constantly filled with 1000+ scores in the entire top ten, getting a little unnerving.

This new one should be even worse, with folks clamoring for the Ultron MvP Doc Oc. I know I will.
  • Druss
    Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    I didn't enjoy starting the PvP - seeing Lv 290/270/200+ from the start as is usual now (and throughout!).

I did however enjoy looking at the reward section - seeing Beast & turning the game off & going to watch the telly!
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    I enjoyed the climb with Scarlet Witch, Lazy Daken, and Blade (or Luke Cage instead of Blade if he took too many hits). I was initially disheartened, as I faced a wall of 200+ teams at the start, but after spending 200 or so ISO on skips I began to see more reasonable compositions of 140/120/120, and even the occasional pleasant 94/94/loaner teams. It also didn't hurt that I think Scarlet Witch is a fun character to use, and one of my most wanted additions to my roster in a long time.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Druss wrote:
    I didn't enjoy starting the PvP - seeing Lv 290/270/200+ from the start as is usual now (and throughout!).

I did however enjoy looking at the reward section - seeing Beast & turning the game off & going to watch the telly!

If it is because you think beast is bad, I have sour news. He is an amazing character now.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used Lazy Daken and Blade. This combo worked well, as I was able to generate strike tiles and build toward a Hex Bolt. Hex Bolt and her blue power helped to gather purple for Blade's nasty purple, and with no need for red it wasn't too hard to keep Blade thirsty.
  • I've started contemplating using more than one team in PvP and that's for general purposes, not like say one team to cilmb and one team to defend. Not quite sure if it's viable, but just being able to contemplate doing that is a big step up in diversity. In this week for example it certainly seems worthwhile to swap Magneto and Punisher depending on the enemy matchup and their current health status after Blade being the no brainer first pick.