Who did you use for Red Shift? -> Why PVP is now fun.

Dauthi
Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
edited May 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
While I ate through health packs, PVP was incredibly fun and here is why:

After being able to use my ISO again due to waiting for cuts in character costs, I was able to level characters for this PVP. Considering the synergy with Scarlet Witch, I decided to go with Cyclops/Rocket and Groot. This gives a tank for sustain and great damage over time (four 400 damage strike tiles!!), and I go against the grain and go 3 in yellow so his green did a whopping 3.6 damage plus shakeup! His blue has synergy with Scarlet Witch's too (2 Scarlet Witches increases chances of blue), while Cyclops comes in with the burst damage through black/red/yellow.

Another tactic would be to funnel purple into Doom, but that would give an unneeded black/blue and my Scarlet Witch's purple was competent at 3 anyways. Besides, you absolutely have to take advantage of Cyclops when buffed and he doesn't interfere with the featured character (his black maxed is what, 12k+ damage??). A devastating combo if you wanted to funnel Scarlet Witch's purple however was Nick + Scarlet Witch. I was one shotted by his blue at least 3 times thanks to the consistent blues on the board, and his purple is no joke especially early game thanks to Scarlet Witch.

The above is my first point for why I had fun. For the first time in forever I had to think about team composition (Frozen pun intended). Using my 4* Thor/Wolverine is almost completely pointless unless they have synergy with the team. I had fun ripping apart the teams who didn't adapt and simply threw Thor/Wolverine together. To be fair after looking at many of their rosters, they were trying to skip the 3* transition by purchasing 4*s. They are in a real bad position now.

Secondly I got to use characters I rarely get a chance to play with, and didn't have to touch XForce/Thor. I can't explain how refreshing it was to not use the same team I used 3 events a week for the last 5+ months. This is probably my favorite part of the changes.

Last, I managed to hit 1k, even though points were thin, but it helped I wasn't getting attacked as often during jumps. I also realized that I probably can't use 3 hours to go from 0 to 900 like I normally do, so instead I started early the day before and simply used up health packs and did something else with my life until they came back. In this respect it actually felt like a phone game where your play time is limited because of refresh times of (X) mechanism.

I had fun, did you? Who did you use that you normally wouldn't and what kind of synergy did they provide?

Comments

• Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    I also found this event to be more fun. Due to R75 I was able to max Groot, Cyc, KK, and She Hulk. That, along with this week's boosts has made for one of the most enjoyable weeks I've had to date.

For Red Shift, I actually felt powerful again using boosted Cyclops! I wasn't just trading blows until a lucky cascade happened for one side or the other, which is what it feels like with the increased health/match time. Haven't felt like that since pre-nerf XF and GT days. I paired Cyc with KK and then eventually IF, which was a match made in heaven as far I'm concerned.

I had enough SW covers from the generous Ultron runs to actually get a feel for her too. Her green Hex Bolt ended up saving my butt from disaster enough times to decide upon a 3/5/5 build. For those times you're just short one or two AP from unleashing death on the A.I., Hex Bolt is the answer!
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Pissed me off, like all PvP, because even though I had a serious edge in that my SW is sitting at level 120, the rest of my troops are sitting at level 94.

I was doing really well, got up to 625 points at one time using a boosted Bullseye and a level 90 Hood. On offense, I was just cleaning everyone out. Hood was keeping them from casting anything, Bullseye was getting plenty of purple to make -97 damage shields with, SW was gathering Purple and Green (enemy tile destruction, AP gathering, stun and AoE damage) and tanking hard with over 10,000 life, and Hood and Bullseye were finishing off enemies with massive crits and board destruction.

However, I lost over 240 points overnight and fell from top ten to out of the top fifty. Top players were rocking level 270s and were, in general, using max covered three and four stars that vastly outlevelled my top squads. On offense I stood a chance at beating many of those squads, but on defense there wasn't a hope in hell. I was beating a lot of 166 squads and not taking a ton of damage doing so. But since the AI is so useless on D, as an underlevelled squad, you pretty much need to shield for the last 24 hours or lose everything.

Is it too much to ask to pair people up in PvP by the average level of their top ten characters? I worked my tail off to try and get the 800 point purple SW cover, but it was destined to failure because there's nothing you can do against players that have a huge natural level advantage over you.

I know that the vets are used to picking on much weaker squads to take top place, but is that really how the PvP reward system should work? Letting 270 squads beat up on 94 squads "to put them in their place"?
  • As a 2* transitioner I don't have the developed roster as some, but I liked using cage/doom with SW. Was able to crush any team at or below my level. Also agree on hex bolt, felt good getting the last AP I needed to start my beat stick.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Oddly enough, I actually got stuck with a TERRIBLE bracket, where the leader already had 1,000 points, so there was basically no point in my 2* roster even playing.

I usually don't mind PvP and can come in around 150th place, but this time I was like 400th.

WHY WAS EVERYONE GRINDING FOR BEAST???? lol.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Buret0 wrote:
    Pissed me off, like all PvP, because even though I had a serious edge in that my SW is sitting at level 120, the rest of my troops are sitting at level 94.

I was doing really well, got up to 625 points at one time using a boosted Bullseye and a level 90 Hood. On offense, I was just cleaning everyone out. Hood was keeping them from casting anything, Bullseye was getting plenty of purple to make -97 damage shields with, SW was gathering Purple and Green (enemy tile destruction, AP gathering, stun and AoE damage) and tanking hard with over 10,000 life, and Hood and Bullseye were finishing off enemies with massive crits and board destruction.

However, I lost over 240 points overnight and fell from top ten to out of the top fifty. Top players were rocking level 270s and were, in general, using max covered three and four stars that vastly outlevelled my top squads. On offense I stood a chance at beating many of those squads, but on defense there wasn't a hope in hell. I was beating a lot of 166 squads and not taking a ton of damage doing so. But since the AI is so useless on D, as an underlevelled squad, you pretty much need to shield for the last 24 hours or lose everything.

Is it too much to ask to pair people up in PvP by the average level of their top ten characters? I worked my tail off to try and get the 800 point purple SW cover, but it was destined to failure because there's nothing you can do against players that have a huge natural level advantage over you.

I know that the vets are used to picking on much weaker squads to take top place, but is that really how the PvP reward system should work? Letting 270 squads beat up on 94 squads "to put them in their place"?

I'm not sure what your roster looks like, but there's a big difference between a fully-covered 3* underleveled at 94, and a maxed 2* capped at 94. Matching it on the basis of level only would give a significant advantage to people who intentionally underlevel their rosters.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    I used cyclops 166, witch 140 and doom 140 or kamala kahn 140 mostly.
    My last hop was from 950, first fight got me to 980, second fight got me to 885. Not so fun.
  • I ended up in one of those brackets where the top 10 had 1300+. I scored 1021 and finished #27. icon_lol.gif
    Nonetheless I enjoyed it. I switched around a lot, as usual. For climbing I used Deadpool and Rocket/Groot a lot, Fury and patch saw some play, then for shield-hopping mostly Fist and Cyclops. I'm only missing two SW covers thanks to Ultron and the last PvP.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    icon_professorx.png and icon_blackwidow.png Grey Suit
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    I'm not sure what your roster looks like, but there's a big difference between a fully-covered 3* underleveled at 94, and a maxed 2* capped at 94. Matching it on the basis of level only would give a significant advantage to people who intentionally underlevel their rosters.

I'm certain that there is a metric that can be used to distinguish between the two.

Such as taking the average Ranked Level of the top ten characters, whereby the Ranked Level is = actual level + (# stars * # covers). (or something like that)

So a fully covered level 94 XF would be considered as a level 146 (94 + (4 * 13)) for the purposes of the average level.

That would prevent people from intentionally underlevelling to earn covers, especially because earning those covers would eventually force you into a higher class where you are going to struggle.

And maybe the top ten is too many... the sweet spot might be something less like the average of the top six .
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    icon_rocket.png and icon_cyclops.png Great fun.

I needed those icon_rocket.pngstrike.png tiles to make Reality Crush work like it was the real deal. Cyclops had enough one-shots be my new MVP.
  • PvP is fun? When did this happen? I still haven't played a single pvp match in this season and I doubt I'll start playing because Otto is a reward. It's not just the change to X-Force that signaled a pvp break for me. I also didn't care about the rewards of recent pvps and the last pvp I played felt very slow and boring. Pretty much everyone now has 9-10k health and the matches take forever. I ran out of health packs by the time I hit 300. At least in the past I could take a risk and join late, hoping for a new bracket and a decent climb to top 25-50, but they took away even that option. In the past I used to play only pvp because with 2-3 hours I was able to get 2 covers. Now I play only pve because it's more fun if I join in the last 1-2 days.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Xenoberyll wrote:
    I used cyclops 166, witch 140 and doom 140 or kamala kahn 140 mostly.
    My last hop was from 950, first fight got me to 980, second fight got me to 885. Not so fun.

Nearly identical to mine, though I got a defensive win so second fight only took me to 923 instead.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Used my recently maxed Kamala and my (recently levelled to) 130 Cyclops (so he was buffed to 181). It was a blast. Scarlet Witch had very little to do but from time to time she gave me some free purple which quickly translated into AoE green.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buret0 wrote:

Getting over 600 points and not shielding is just suicidal. How didn't you expect lots of attacks?
  • Najbolji
    Najbolji Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Well, it was kind of fun to see that I haven't been hit once in 30+ minutes when my internet connection dropped during my final climb, with 700+ and two hours left in my slice. I left a maxed Cyclops, lvl 130 Doom and lvl 114 SW (before boosts).

As for the fun factor of the new PvP, it was probably a lot more fun than it will get in the coming weeks when they decide to boost Cage and Iron Fist, just imagine the time, effort and resources needed to achieve a decent score in that scenario...
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    How fun it was is in direct proportion to how many of the boosted characters you have, and how many of them are considered "good"... if you didn't have cyclops/kk/groot/others? Then you probably got massacred and it wasn't much fun...

And yeah not looking to when IF and Cage get the weekly buff since I don't have them covered up, it'll just be a massacre for everyone who doesn't have them
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    cyineedsn wrote:
    How fun it was is in direct proportion to how many of the boosted characters you have, and how many of them are considered "good"... if you didn't have cyclops/kk/groot/others? Then you probably got massacred and it wasn't much fun...

True, though in this circumstance the only buffed character who isn't viable in PVP is Grey Suit. After forcing veterans to use the same characters for months, I feel like we deserve to have some fun again.
  • Wanda
    Cyclops
    Hood

Scott was powered enough that he tanked blackflag.png and yellowflag.png
  • Personally, I used a soft capped max covered Cyclops and Doom with SW. It was fun rushing for yellow and blue to feed Cyclops red and black. The Dooom blue feeding into Cyclops black worked really well. Matches themselves were short and fun. Top 50 with 648 points.
  • ballingbees
    ballingbees Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    You don't see much diversity above the 800pt range. After 10 skips and still an endless list of maxed Cyclops-Thor is not my idea of fun. Its back to the old XForce-Thor exclusive club days.