Is 10pk still worth the effort?

Options
Punisher5784
Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
edited May 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
For the past 5 seasons I've been able to reach the holy grail called the Heroic Token 10pk for achieving 4,000 points in a Season. While it may not over yield characters I need, it was always so helpful with building my 3* characters. It was not difficult to hit 400pts in each PVP event, and you still had the SHIELD sim if you still needed some points. Well last season, I finished the last PVP event with 3,300. Okay I can easily get 700 in the SHIELD sim.. wait no seed teams.. everyone is 20-30 levels above me. Fortunately I still managed to reach 4000, but it took a majority of my day when I use to be able to score the last few points in SHIELD in an hour.

When I finally opened my 10pk.. 2*,2*,2*,2*,2*,2*,2*,2*,2*.. gold finally.. Gamora! All that effort for 1 Gamora. So I ask everyone this, what is the point?

Today, I started the first PVP 'Predator & Prey.' Normally my Sunday PVP is over at 11am EST but now it's 8am! I woke up at 6am to start playing.. still no seed teams (guess that's history now), multiple buffed characters, increased health, opponents well above my level (my roster average is around lvl105). Played 1 match, 2 characters died.. decided to go back to bed. I was able to handle the recent changes but none of the new time slices work with my schedule. There is no point in putting the effort into reaching the 10pk when we have DDQ.

They need to reassess the reward structure because all these recent changes are killing PVP. I'm not even sure how these changes even helps brings in new players. I wish we could go back to the way things were a couple of months ago.

Comments

• thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    Options
    worth the time?

before dpd, the answer would have been a painful yes, after dpd, the answer is heck no.

that being said, if youre using pvp and shield sim as extended lightning rounds for iso anyway, its probably just worth enough more marginal effort to make sure you get it just because it should get you 2-3 gold covers and a few thousand more iso.

pvp is so painful right now and its the last thing i worry about doing anymore. got 4k last season and barely touched the last two events, i sure wasnt going to push for the 5000 pt award.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Effort? Hitting 300 in each season event then 1k in shield sim is the definition of effortless
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Worth it? I dunno. But they sure are fun to open...
  • Unknown
    Options
    Worth it? I dunno. But they sure are fun to open...

Joy quickly turns to despair when you're on your 9th 2* in a row lol.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Sometimes it is sometimes it isn't one season I got a10 pack and I got 1 gold token and it was R&groot I needed the rest were 2* junk. This past season though I got IW, redd hulk, & starlord. I was pretty happy w/ that so it's worth the try plus the mini prizes along the way to 4000
  • Azoic
    Azoic Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Um, yes? The only way you get seed teams is if you join at the very beginning before there are many other players and no points on the board. Why should you get seed teams when you are trying to join at the last minute? And your average level is 105? So is mine, and I usually land 700+ each event.

And you get a chance at 10 "free" heroics...why even ask such a question? At least you have a chance at something in there, they could just make it a 2000 iso progression, and then have people complain about that, too.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So I only need squirl girl Green, Quicksilver, SW and 4* and I will tell you this I will take a free 10 Heroic tokens all day long. It might be a couple thousand ISO, or a cover I might actually need. Either way you are progressing in the game. If you are not trying to do well in PVP and only doing PVE you are limiting your progression rewards for HP and ISO. Even using a lot of Boosts you can seriously come out ahead in PVP. A 10 pack is a nice cherry on top.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you're a transitioner, this really isn't even a question.
  • Dhaunas
    Dhaunas Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options
    They are still worth it, yes.

My luck may have been better than others, looking at this thread, but the ones who get poor draws are more likely to post, I think. I opened my 2 10 packs from the season that just ended this past Friday, very first pull was Hulkbuster red -- also got Starlord purple and 13 assorted 3 stars that I didn't happen to need.

My results from the prior season's 10 packs were 1 4 star and 6 3 stars, which still is well worth the effort, imo.

Is just luck, and for me, the only place I tend to see it is in the 10 packs rewarded at the end of the season and not the normal rewards gained throughout the season.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    Options
    I still pursue it, it requires going above 300 in each PVP session and do a bit of simulator, that's not very time consuming over the month.
    Dhaunas wrote:
    They are still worth it, yes.

My luck may have been better than others, looking at this thread, but the ones who get poor draws are more likely to post, I think. I opened my 2 10 packs from the season that just ended this past Friday, very first pull was Hulkbuster red -- also got Starlord purple and 13 assorted 3 stars that I didn't happen to need.

My results from the prior season's 10 packs were 1 4 star and 6 3 stars, which still is well worth the effort, imo.

Is just luck, and for me, the only place I tend to see it is in the 10 packs rewarded at the end of the season and not the normal rewards gained throughout the season.

It is just luck, pulling 3 x 4* and 19 x 3* out of 30 tokens (if I got it right) is possible but the odds are staggering. You sir have been very very lucky.

i personnaly had between one and four 3* per 10 pack, which is par for the course according to the percentages we're given.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    When I finally opened my 10pk.. 2*,2*,2*,2*,2*,2*,2*,2*,2*.. gold finally.. Gamora! All that effort for 1 Gamora. So I ask everyone this, what is the point?

The point is it's random. It's a chance at improving your roster.

It's a little like buying a lottery ticket. The point is that I might (though exceedingly unlikely) win the lottery. But if I don't win (and I haven't yet) the ticket doesn't become pointless, it had a point at the time.

Taking risks that don't pay off is a large part of life. What did it cost you to get there? You had fun playing a game for a bit longer and got a few more rewards from your scores in events. (If you didn't have fun then why the heck are you playing a game that isn't 'fun'?)
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    Options
    it is more effort now then it used to be. In my alliance, only half the people that normally get it did this time and i suspect it will be less next cause even i myself will be scaling back. I have other games i play that are getting more interesting with each update as opposed to this game, which just gets more frustrating, ultron was fun, but far from a home run.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,312 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Arondite wrote:
    If you're a transitioner, this really isn't even a question.

This. If you are a transitioner, every single 3* you open is precious. It doesn't matter if it's 1 out of 10. If you are not a transitioner? Well you are aiming for 8k to get your alliance in the top 100 so ten whatever-luck-will-haves is a nice bonus to get while breezing halfway through.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Well, think of it this way - you can either play hard and get the 10pk by season's end, or you can drop $20 and have it now. Me, I'm more than happy to play to win it, but I can see how some people would spend the cash. I know I would be furious with myself if I bought a 10pk and ended up with 1-2 gold covers, which seems my usual luck.
  • Unknown
    Options
    You cannot judge "worth the effort" on the results if the pack. Sure, you get five 3*, you'd say yes, but that isn't the point.
    The effort is the sheer amount of time needed just to hit 300 in PvP. It's a grind, where it used to be quite easy, and fun. Some people like playing this game hard, with each match a battle, others like it a simple, fun easy-to-win way to spend an hour or so to chill from a hard day's work.

Frankly, I can't do it. My matches in PvP suck up my health packs, so I can get to 100, 200, 300 if I buy health packs all the time, as my transition roster isn't strong enough to do what I used to be able to do two seasons ago.

Therefore, to get the 4000 points you may need to spend hp on health. Or, just buy the 10 pack and be disappointed that way.
  • Azoic
    Azoic Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    A grind to reach 300 points? Really? You just lost any credability you might have had.
  • Unknown
    Options
    My personal experience: Used to be able to hit 700-800 without shielding. Now, am losing 2 or 3 times before 150 if I don't get seed teams. Longer fights mean I can't take in my A&B teams everytime. The teams I fight off the bat are higher level than mine. If I get 270 teams at the start, I fight them to purposefully to worsen my record. I look at the effort to hit the 3* cover, and frankly I just don't have that much time right now.

With the system the way it is now, it doesn't seem worth the effort for a longer established player.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Azoic wrote:
    A grind to reach 300 points? Really? You just lost any credability you might have had.
    I am 2* - early transitioning to 3*. I used to climb relatively easily to 300 with my 2* roster where it'd become too hard to make it worth going further.
    Now it's the struggle right out of the gate. I open PVP. If there are seed teams I fight them for ISO. No seed teams - no point to bother. Struggling through time/health consuming tough matches to climb even to 100 for a standard token just doesn't make sense to me.
  • Unknown
    Options
    If you see playing MPQ as "work" or a grind, then no, the 10-pack isn't worth the effort (and you might want to reevaluate your approach to the game, it's so easy to make it fun again if you switch to casual style). But if you enjoy playing and can average 400 points per PVP it's a nice bonus on top of all the enjoyment you got along the way.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Precisely, it isn't a grind like PvE can be to get to the top 50/100, but it isn't what is was. 300 was easy, now it's a chore that an insufficient roster and health packs makes problematic. And the nexting find a decent, winnable battle is grind, pressing next dozens of times. Not a happy experience at all.