To the people who aren't happy with the ultron event.

Hulk11
Hulk11 Posts: 435
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
They had to do this event. You can't expect much, they did it to make marvel happy, if you're not happy with the result then tough for you. Personally quit the event after the server crash, and I completed my missions already before that happened cause I didn't have quicksilver. The server crash was clearly the bigger issue than the contents. You can almost bet this won't return unless marvel makes them again or they rehash this into another pve.

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hulk11 wrote:
    They had to do this event. You can't expect much, they did it to make marvel happy, if you're not happy with the result then tough for you. Personally quit the event after the server crash, and I completed my missions already before that happened cause I didn't have quicksilver. The server crash was clearly the bigger issue than the contents. You can almost bet this won't return unless marvel makes them again or they rehash this into another pve.

Eh, dunno about *forced*. Sort of implies they wouldn't have wanted to do this anyway. And besides, there's no evidense for that.

Really, if they hated the idea of something like this, they'd have just done an Enemy of the State style PvE with waves of sentries for survival nodes. Half-**** the whole thing. No-one would have expected a completely new method of PvE for an Ultron event, but they got to thinking and created something.
    Sure it has flaws, but for a first go there's a foundation to build upon. It's doubtful this will get re-run but the code is there for subsiquent events later if they want to make more boss characters.
  • It's got a pretty solid idea but poorly implemented. It seems like they're making this event thinking they're Clash of Clans where it's trivial to find 20 bodies that play regularly except this is definitely not the case in MPQ. It's really strange that given the 'boss' structure of Ultron how little weight is given for actually beating him. That is, if you work out his lifebar divided the amount of damage he can take you'd have to beat him thousands of time as an alliance which isn't exactly how you'd think a boss battle should go. I was always under the impression that this boss battle should be just borderline impossible and you're trying to do as much damage as possible, and maybe put a cap to maximum damage can be done so that you can't just do a million damage in one round because you got an insane board or you figure out some new combo that is sure to be nerfed after you used it to do 1 million damage. It seems to me most of the rewards should be tied to the individual progression in this format as opposed to the alliance format. The alliance rewards should be changed to say a generous helping of tokens so that the alliances that do have the manpower can still get rewarded but it won't be a case of missing character covers just because you can't find the players. Like I said this wouldn't be a problem if MPQ has a playerbase like Clash of Clans but it does not so they can't just expect everyone to find a solid group of 20 players in a game that has a lot of turnover at the top.

Scaling is an issue but then that's almost a given. Scaling is always an issue in PvE but most events you can brute force around it. In this event the Ultron Sentries are hard enough that it's extremely unlikely to be able to overcome them with any amount of match 3 wizardry once they've a significant level advantage.
  • Hulk11
    Hulk11 wrote:

Eh, dunno about *forced*. Sort of implies they wouldn't have wanted to do this anyway. And besides, there's no evidense for that.

Really, if they hated the idea of something like this, they'd have just done an Enemy of the State style PvE with waves of sentries for survival nodes. Half-**** the whole thing. No-one would have expected a completely new method of PvE for an Ultron event, but they got to thinking and created something.
    Sure it has flaws, but for a first go there's a foundation to build upon. It's doubtful this will get re-run but the code is there for subsiquent events later if they want to make more boss characters.

Endless sentries isn't a foundation. I'm not agreeing that this event was good or bad. All the marvel games are doing an ultron thing, yeah, marvel makes em do it. There's no way all these games, just come up with something and release it this week. You lost me, where this becomes optional.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hulk11 wrote:
    Endless sentries isn't a foundation. I'm not agreeing that this event was good or bad. All the marvel games are doing an ultron thing, yeah, marvel makes em do it. There's no way all these games, just come up with something and release it this week. You lost me, where this becomes optional.

Why would Marvel make them do it? You seem to have it backwards.

There is a big movie on that can drive people and revenue to their franchises. They want to tie in as much as possible to the publicityb generated by the movie and have people feeling that they are experiencing part of the movie.

It's a symbiotic relationship, not a master/slave thing as you imply.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    This guy is absolutely a troll, but I don't think he's not wrong (this time). Between subtle hints I've picked up here and there and the very obvious huge marketing ploy by Marvel...I think it's safe to say they may have "had an option", but the other option wasn't too pretty.

As for why they would make them do it? Because they can and it's free publicity. It's not news that these types of licensing agreements tend to lean heavily in the property giver's favor. It's not exactly hard to fathom that there's a clause in their contract that says "If Marvel says jump, you better say how high", otherwise Marvel would be handing out their license to someone that could do whatever they want with it and just never take input from Marvel - and that's just dumb.

If I'm Marvel and I have this gigantic blockbuster movie I want to sell a lot of tickets for and I've already sunk billions of dollars into television commercials and ads on candy and chips...but I still want more ads, where would I go? Oh, yeah, those free advertisements we can shoehorn into half a dozen games with no charge to our own bank account. Yeah, sounds good.
  • I'd think it'd be the game companies that'd be the one begging for an Age of Ultron tie-in not the other way around.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    All the mobile games doing it at the same time feels very coordinated to me. It makes sense. Plastic figurines and lunch boxes don't sell well anymore. Mobile games do. Not that hard to figure from a marketing standpoint.
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2015
    They were forced to make an Ultron event.

They WEREN'T forced to make a **** Ultron event that involved playing the same two battles over and over.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    I'd think it'd be the game companies that'd be the one begging for an Age of Ultron tie-in not the other way around.

One of the core reason Agents of Shield was started was allegedly also to bridge the gap between movies and keep people interested in and aware of the Marvel movieverse.
    It's definitely Marvel wanting to run this: tie-in as much secondary content as possible to the movie and use it broaden exposure and awareness of the movie.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    but I don't think he's not wrong (this time).

So you think he's wrong? Double negative there, dude =P Either you don't think he's wrong, or you do think he's not wrong.

Sorry, I should stop trying to be such a pedant.
  • Hulk11
    Phantron wrote:
    I'd think it'd be the game companies that'd be the one begging for an Age of Ultron tie-in not the other way around.

Another marvel team said this. "When the opportunity came to us to put ultron content in our game, we were happy to do it."

So they don't go to marvel for this project, and the word "opportunity" can mean a lot of things. Would it really be wise to not do it? Wouldn't look good if demiurge didn't take part when a lot of the other games are. If Demiurge said something like this, it is the right thing to say as well only because turning this down would also make them look really bad. I'll take their word if they've said it already, but I can see a huge downside if they didn't say it just for the right reasons.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Clearly they put a lot of thought and work into this event. They came up with new mechanics and several new foes. If you watched the video they made about the event the devs were clearly excited for it. And my alliance is having a really good time with it.
  • I like the mechanics and tactics, it's a nice change, but hey... The 8 Rounds are a tedious grind... You hardly can have a life, or your Alliance would call you a slacker.

It's the 1st run, with a major server outage in the beginning though.

We should have a better idea in a few days, when the 2nd run comes live (for a 4*...)
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    That is, if you work out his lifebar divided the amount of damage he can take you'd have to beat him thousands of time as an alliance which isn't exactly how you'd think a boss battle should go.

It's like 850 times, give or take a few. About 10 times per day per member.
  • I am actually really enjoying this event and the focus on working as an alliance and unlocking each wave. We have had some guys dominant extra hit to move to a new round so everything is refreshed for our heavy hitters. I have had to use different teams and characters and play styles so it has worked well.

I think without the server issue at the start, things would be viewed a lot more favourably. Our alliance was annoyed since we thought it was going to be a lot harder then it was... Seems funny to think back.

I hope this becomes a semi regular event, just maybe in place of a PVE instead of running it simultaneously.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,395 Chairperson of the Boards
    arktos1971 wrote:
    I like the mechanics and tactics, it's a nice change, but hey... The 8 Rounds are a tedious grind... You hardly can have a life, or your Alliance would call you a slacker.

We should have a better idea in a few days, when the 2nd run comes live (for a 4*...)

has it been confirm HULKBUSTER is a 4 star
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:
    I like the mechanics and tactics, it's a nice change, but hey... The 8 Rounds are a tedious grind... You hardly can have a life, or your Alliance would call you a slacker.

Yes, it has been officially confirmed.
  • Or else it would be a 2*, as we alredy have Tony in the 1* and 3* versions of Ironman.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Or else it would be a 2*, as we alredy have Tony in the 1* and 3* versions of Ironman.

...No. It's been officially confirmed. Devs and Dataminers have flatly stated that HulkBuster Ironman is a 4 Star character.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    Yes. I can also confirm that there will be immediate calls for him to be nerfed. Not because he's so amazing, but because that's pretty much the norm around here when it comes to certain types of abilities.