It's like Demiurge looked at the Teisetsu...

DFiPL
DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
and said "man, this is some GREAT ****, but how can we get bullshittier than that? Hey, I know; let's create these sentries - we'll call them "Fighters" - and stack 'em three to a node. We'll give them a passive that spawns attack tiles and another that destroys tiles if there aren't enough attack tiles on the board, and we'll let ALL THREE OF THEM use both passives in the same turn and then let them take regular turns on top of that!"

I honestly didn't think it was possible for me to hate an AI opponent worse than I do the Teisetsu.

Your **** game is strong, Demiurge.

Your **** game is strong.

Comments

• I kind of like these sentries. They are tough, no doubt. I didn't carefully read through their descriptions until one of the Gunners started going to town, and then I read all of them. People talk about putting the puzzle back in puzzle quest, and trying to see how many special tiles they have on the board and making sure to keep enough for one ability not to fire, but not so much another ability does is interesting.
  • DFiPL
    Sure. Except when you stack the fighters like that, it's not tactical. At all.

The idea of the Sentries, I like. And when there's variation, it's interesting. A Flyer, a Fighter and a Gunner at the same time? Sure.

Three Fighters stacked like that isn't tactical. It's straight up "we're going to bleed you dry." Match two of the attack tiles off, or use a match-4 or -5 to clear a row? Heh. That was cute. They just destroyed the bottom of three columns to spawn something like 12 more tiles and oh look four of them are new attack tiles.

"A valiant effort, my friends, but all for naught."

It's the "Turn to Smoke" ****, except it happens EVERY TURN.

The Fighter, as a Sentry type? Sure, that's neat. Three of them at once for the sole purpose of bleeding you dry isn't tactical. It isn't fun. It's a middle finger.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    taloncarde wrote:
    I kind of like these sentries. They are tough, no doubt. I didn't carefully read through their descriptions until one of the Gunners started going to town, and then I read all of them. People talk about putting the puzzle back in puzzle quest, and trying to see how many special tiles they have on the board and making sure to keep enough for one ability not to fire, but not so much another ability does is interesting.

Yeah me too. The game feels totally different from normal games... Because there's no need to deny AP. It's about managing the passives. Defence tiles are great against them as it cut their passive dmg down to 1.
  • The amount of damage the fighters do is small, yeah it's annoying that it shakes up the board, but they don't do much damage(outside of a good cascade). And more importantly, they can be turned off. Just let them keep some tiles on the board and all 3 fighters stop swarming.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    taloncarde wrote:
    The amount of damage the fighters do is small, yeah it's annoying that it shakes up the board, but they don't do much damage(outside of a good cascade).

This. And with the right team, they're reeeally not a problem. I've found Cap and Loki to be a killer combination in this event - haven't lost a match yet, with them. And I kinda like the challenge of dealing with multiples of the same ability. You can't just slaughter one and be free from hassle. It makes for some interesting consideration about what the best AP for your speedy damage ratio is.
  • It's actually pretty hard to lose to the Ultron Sentries unless you went in with less than half health but on the other hand it's awfully hard to get out of those fights without taking serious damage. I've been preserving Captain America for the Ultron nodes to make sure there's no way I'll fail to do enough damage since Captain America can pretty much always win that fight by himself if he started out in full health so the Ultron Sentries are probably a bit harder than intended as I have to dig deeper into my roster for someone that isn't Captain America. Well, trying to manage Simulator and a PvP event at the same time didn't help. I'm sure if it's one event I can just use Captain America + whoever on everything.

You're not going to keep the special tiles at exactly 6 or whatever it is to shut off both the Fighters and Gunners, but depending on the node usually one of the two modes is overwhelmingly more dangerous (generally the Fighters), though for the Hulk nodes you want the Fighter mode on so you can take advantage of their crits triggering Anger. Of course, when I realized I could do that was the turn the Fighters did 5000 damage in matches and then destroyed all the Anger tiles and laughed at me, but in theory that round where I had 5 Angers set up to go should've easily won the game. You want the Gunner mode to be on when you've to use someone like Black Widow or even when you're running The Hood because you want the other side to have more AP so you can steal it later, since they can never spend their AP.
  • Inarius
    Inarius Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    the fighters are annoying, yes...but they do small amounts of dmg and shake the board a little

what really makes me butthurt are the other guys that turn tiles into critical ones, and then proceed to take their turn and connect them

my god, the health packs (┛ಠДಠ)┛彡┻━┻
  • Inarius wrote:
    the fighters are annoying, yes...but they do small amounts of dmg and shake the board a little

what really makes me butthurt are the other guys that turn tiles into critical ones, and then proceed to take their turn and connect them

Yeah, those are the Gunners, and always the first ones I kill. Their powers turn on with enough tiles on the board, so I try to take them out first. Then fighters, and then finally Flyers.
  • DFiPL
    Inarius wrote:

See, Gunners don't bother me. I take 'em down hard and fast and the crits they spawn seldom cause me serious grief.

But the Fighters, especially on the QS nodes (my QS has only 2 covers), just spawn attack tiles out the **** and whittle me down to half strength or worse before the second wave is anywhere close. Gah.
  • DFiPL
    Phantron wrote:
    It's actually pretty hard to lose to the Ultron Sentries unless you went in with less than half health but on the other hand it's awfully hard to get out of those fights without taking serious damage. I've been preserving Captain America for the Ultron nodes to make sure there's no way I'll fail to do enough damage since Captain America can pretty much always win that fight by himself if he started out in full health so the Ultron Sentries are probably a bit harder than intended as I have to dig deeper into my roster for someone that isn't Captain America. Well, trying to manage Simulator and a PvP event at the same time didn't help. I'm sure if it's one event I can just use Captain America + whoever on everything.

You're not going to keep the special tiles at exactly 6 or whatever it is to shut off both the Fighters and Gunners, but depending on the node usually one of the two modes is overwhelmingly more dangerous (generally the Fighters), though for the Hulk nodes you want the Fighter mode on so you can take advantage of their crits triggering Anger. Of course, when I realized I could do that was the turn the Fighters did 5000 damage in matches and then destroyed all the Anger tiles and laughed at me, but in theory that round where I had 5 Angers set up to go should've easily won the game. You want the Gunner mode to be on when you've to use someone like Black Widow or even when you're running The Hood because you want the other side to have more AP so you can steal it later, since they can never spend their AP.

I'm still waiting for my first Anger cover. T.T
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    luke cage makes them a cake walk all hitting for 1 damage. was burning through health packs until i brought him along. only on lvl 3 ultron prime though. use him if you got him decently leveled and red is high enough. used hp to finish off red on steam account. i also tried to bring patch... just don't icon_e_sad.gif
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    DFiPL wrote:

I'm still waiting for my first Anger cover. T.T

5/3/0 I feel your pain
  • DFiPL
    Heartburn wrote:
    luke cage makes them a cake walk all hitting for 1 damage. was burning through health packs until i brought him along. only on lvl 3 ultron prime though. use him if you got him decently leveled and red is high enough. used hp to finish off red on steam account. i also tried to bring patch... just don't icon_e_sad.gif

I don't spend HP on covers, so the three characters I'm anywhere close to covered on in the 3* range are Rocket/Groot, Storm (Mohawk) and Deadpool.

Cage I've gotten a couple of pulls from in the last week or so, but his red is still only one cover, I believe.

Like, I have no illusions that this roster is going to be able to do much in the last three rounds. That's why I'm hoping to just pile up event tokens before I get scaled out and get a Scarlet Witch in there somewhere.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wait until they add these Sentries to DDQ..
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    The sentries are fine in theory, but it's like their level is another 20% higher at least. The 80's "feel" like 100's.

So as it has scaled up, those 166's "feel" like 200's.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Grocket eats the Sentry Fighter alive. Soaks up the damage, one yellow match, all gone!

Cage is definitely another good suggestion, IW and Spider-Man too. Protect tiles are a good way to snuff out attack tiles.

And if nothing else, there's always Patch-Loki.

2-star land really needs another protect tile character besides Bullseye.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards

They have 2* CapAm who can make 3 protect tiles with 19 yellow AP lol
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    They have 2* CapAm who can make 3 protect tiles with 19 yellow AP lol

Haha, such a useless power I forgot about it. They should really give Baby Cap the protect tile generation on his blue too.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Grocket eats the Sentry Fighter alive. Soaks up the damage, one yellow match, all gone!

Cage is definitely another good suggestion, IW and Spider-Man too. Protect tiles are a good way to snuff out attack tiles.

And if nothing else, there's always Patch-Loki.

I've been hitting them with Patch-Loki, but before it gets off one is often dead. I've been trying that specifically with QS, who is often dead around the time it goes...and of course, there are two QS essentials each run.

If the "RNG" had ever been so kind to land on "Groot Yellow" before he was put into limbo (rotated out), that might have been a nice option. Teammates have told me Spidey/Blade has been pretty good for them, purple everywhere for long matches that you take little damage on. Uh-oh, isn't that something devs nerf over? Better watch yourself, OP Spidey! icon_lol.gif
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    DFiPL wrote:
    Inarius wrote:

See, Gunners don't bother me. I take 'em down hard and fast and the crits they spawn seldom cause me serious grief.

But the Fighters, especially on the QS nodes (my QS has only 2 covers), just spawn attack tiles out the **** and whittle me down to half strength or worse before the second wave is anywhere close. Gah.

So much this. I hate bagsilver with every fiber of my being! All he does is **** up your chances at making the matches you need to win. If he was just dead weight it wouldn't be an issue but he is so **** it's like he's playing for the other team.