Shut off animations

The animations are fun/interesting only the first few times you see them, then they get boring and just annoying, slowing down the game. Please let us get the option to shut off the animations. Most players want a fast and smooth gameplay.

Comments

• Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    yes please
    Priority.jpg?itok=En8g7UCW
  • Cymmina
    Cymmina Posts: 413 Mover and Shaker
    I don't mind the animations for active abilities too much, it's the passive abilities (Bring out the Best from Kamala, etc.) that annoy the hell out of me. Every passive should be like Healing & Heat (Daken) or Healing Factor (Wolverine).
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cymmina wrote:
    I don't mind the animations for active abilities too much, it's the passive abilities (Bring out the Best from Kamala, etc.) that annoy the hell out of me. Every passive should be like Healing & Heat (Daken) or Healing Factor (Wolverine).

Yes. This.

Better: allow users to turn off all animations

Best: allow two options to turn off passive animations and/or active animations.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Passive animations can get in the way in PVE goon fights.. has happened many times, i forget Kamala is going to pop up, and i go to make my next match, swiping while she is doing her thing, and because of the animation, i don't pull my hand away fast enough, and end up making a move i did not want, or losing a match 5+ etc..
  • MrHappyface
    MrHappyface Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Even when the animation ends, you STILL can't move the tiles immediately. There seems to be a 1.5 second delay you have to wait BEFORE you can move the tiles. That pisses me off when I try to select a tile, but then nothing happens because I forget to wait for that delay. This becomes even more enraging when I'm trying to game in rage mode.

Rage Mode = when something bad in the game happens & you put on your game face, thinking to yourself: "that's it! it's on now! i'm gonna fight this through!!!!" D:<

Going into rage mode, can feel really good. anyone who ever plays fighting games (street fighter, mortal kombat) & FPS (unreal tournament, call of duty) competitively should know what i'm talking about. that decision to not retreat, but to fight with every tooth & nail is a good way to let off steam. that reckless aggressive can even be therapeutic. even if you go into rage mode but you don't perform as well as you hoped, it's still a good way to let off some steam. if i can't let my anger out on the in-game enemies, I will just end up letting the anger out on the game itself.

SuperRage.gif

Granted, "rage mode" doesn't work as well in a turn based game, but I say that rather than having an on/off switch in the option menu to turn off the all animation permanently, just allow the player to cancel individual animations in game by hitting the space bar. this would at least give the player the illusion of rushing & rampaging at the enemies.
  • Agamotto
    Agamotto Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    I definitely agree with the OP. MPQ is also a game for mobiles. A mobile game should not take too long to play, now that most had increased health also, it takes twice as long with the animation of all the character's powers.
  • MrHappyface
    Note being able to rampage at the enemies just makes this game more rage inducing.
    I would have quit the game months ago if it weren't for Deadpool's Daily.
  • If not remove, how about just putting those animations behind the board, they can even be longer if they aren't interrupting gameplay, or maybe put them on the side or something, change the animation to the character on the side of the screen doing something instead of popping up right in the middle every time, ESPECIALLY for passives.
  • Lately, D3 has added more and more animations that "explain" what is happening, ie that passive abilities activate (they were "silent" before) and that goons get their "free AP". I personally have never felt a need for this but maybe some STUPID newbies need it because otherwise they can't understand what's happening. Or maybe D3 should just have explained things better right from the start.

Still, the game gets slowed down tremendously by all these animations. Imagine if all animations were gone and instead we just a simple text popup for every ACTIVE ability and NO popup nor animation for each passive ability. We would get a lightning-fast game! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • blinktag
    blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    For me, the animation delay—which I agree is extensive and annoying—is most noticeable in the Magia goons. I play with the sound of, so I don't wonder whether there is some sounds that's being triggered ... but it's frustrating when the countdown hits zero, pops, the notice triggers, and then there is an uncountable delay before the damage lands. (I may have the order off, but it frustrates me every time.) Even if not all the animations are shortened, at least look at time-to-resolution for the goon abilities.
  • Just playing devil's advocate, but I think the animations are part of the meta in high level PvP. Those playing without animations are at a significant advantage over those that don't. Not sure what I'd suggest for PvP. For PvE, yeah, get rid of all of it. I want to just get these games over with.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    ErnDiggity wrote:
    Just playing devil's advocate, but I think the animations are part of the meta in high level PvP. Those playing without animations are at a significant advantage over those that don't. Not sure what I'd suggest for PvP. For PvE, yeah, get rid of all of it. I want to just get these games over with.

While this may be true, I doubt that was the intent of the design.
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    this idea needs moar up votes
    1174639-mariobump.jpg
  • Yeah, I'd throw my hat in on this one. As a regular Falcon player, I get suuuuper bored of him flying around every time I match a yellow.
  • Taking off the animations would help the hardcore battery drain too
  • Loftus
    Loftus Posts: 79 Match Maker
    I enjoy the active animations and think the game would feel pretty empty without them. You also have the issue that if you wanted to be competitive you'd be forced into shutting them off as otherwise your matches would take longer than the people you're competing with.

I completely agree when it comes to passives however, khan's passive is really irritating.
  • Yes, the animations are too much. Especially when you have been playing the game for a long time.

There should be an option to turn them off after you finish the training prologue section.
  • MrHappyface
    Yes, the animations are too much. Especially when you have been playing the game for a long time.

There should be an option to turn them off after you finish the training prologue section.

if you do that, then u won't see any new animation that are created. it's better to have a cancel option, per animation, then a permanent on/off switch.
  • kickpuncher11
    kickpuncher11 Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    The option to cancel animations gives an unfair advantage to people in pvp. Sooner or later, everyone will turn off animations...and what will be the point of having them to begin with?

I think passives just shouldn't have animations...like the tile boost from Prof x's purple. It's quick, informative, and it gets the job done. I would love to see people like Daken, Patch, KK and Blade have their passives handled the same way.
  • MrHappyface
    The option to cancel animations gives an unfair advantage to people in pvp. Sooner or later, everyone will turn off animations...and what will be the point of having them to begin with?

I think passives just shouldn't have animations...like the tile boost from Prof x's purple. It's quick, informative, and it gets the job done. I would love to see people like Daken, Patch, KK and Blade have their passives handled the same way.

Enlighten me. How does it become an advantage?