Vladdy asks: Getting Kingpin

Options
Vladdy
Vladdy Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
What is a good way to get to 1k in "Hostile Takeover"?

I missed Kingpin willingly in "Thick as Thieves" (I was not playing it).
I missed Kingpin unwillingly in "Blind Justice" (#1 was unreachable for me).

Before matchmaking change I would be very confident to reach 1k, but now? Hmm... icon_mrgreen.gif

Comments

• Keep in mind X Force is neutralized on defense because the loaner Kingpin has a much lower cost black power that is effectively useless, so it's going to be strictly harder than normal to hit 1K if you depended on X Force at all.
  • Vladdy
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Keep in mind X Force is neutralized on defense because the loaner Kingpin has a much lower cost black power that is effectively useless, so it's going to be strictly harder than normal to hit 1K if you depended on X Force at all.

Good point, my "hopping" team is X-Force/Hood.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Keep in mind X Force is neutralized on defense because the loaner Kingpin has a much lower cost black power that is effectively useless, so it's going to be strictly harder than normal to hit 1K if you depended on X Force at all.
    No. No. No. No.

Nobody depends on defensive wins to hit 1k. In fact, it's going to be EASIER to hit 1k because you don't have to worry about the AI using SS against you.
  • Vladdy
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    No. No. No. No.

Nobody depends on defensive wins to hit 1k. In fact, it's going to be EASIER to hit 1k because you don't have to worry about the AI using SS against you.

I almost never see opponent X-Force using SS when I hop with AP boost. But maybe I am just a lucky one icon_e_biggrin.gif.
  • simonsez wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    No. No. No. No.

If you've to worry about losing your games it's going to be a pretty painful climb to 1000.

Of course you don't depend on defensive win but having Kingpin eating up black means even if you inexplicably got lucky on defense you would still lose so you'd almost never get a break from gravity.
  • simonsez wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    No. No. No. No.

Nobody depends on it. But you'll probably get more than usual if people are going into matches not worrying about Surgical Strike. I've gotten a bunch of defensive wins in this one, and I think my 0/1/1 Kingpin is a big part of it.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Nobody depends on it. But you'll probably get more than usual if people are going into matches not worrying about Surgical Strike. I've gotten a bunch of defensive wins in this one, and I think my 0/1/1 Kingpin is a big part of it.
    Right, but since 95% of the Kingpins people are going to see WILL have a black, you're agreeing with me that this PvP WILL be easier for most people, even though you seem to be trying pretty hard not to agree with me.
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    No. No. No. No.

Not if the one attacking you is like me and got the easiest KP cover to get (purple) and doesn't have a black KP cover
  • rednailz wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    No. No. No. No.

Not if the one attacking you is like me and got the easiest KP cover to get (purple) and doesn't have a black KP cover

And is using that purple to feed Cyclops yellow so your level 100 KP is relevant. Nope, no one doing that here...
  • Vladdy
    Options
    Using the loaner Kingpin provides his black and always full health icon_e_wink.gif
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    rednailz wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    No. No. No. No.

And is using that purple to feed Cyclops yellow so your level 100 KP is relevant. Nope, no one doing that here...

not really a shabby plan at all, if I had a good enough cyclops I'd have fun with that. Just been feeding thor yellow of making sure xf can drop a recovery tile before ending the match.
  • ynglink
    ynglink Posts: 195
    Options
    So I'm working on trying to get to the 1k mark for the first time in this event. Been having a lot of fun using purpleflag.png Kingpin to feed Hood. Been shooting people down with the Twin Pistols a lot in this PvP.
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    No. No. No. No.

If you've to worry about losing your games it's going to be a pretty painful climb to 1000.

Of course you don't depend on defensive win but having Kingpin eating up black means even if you inexplicably got lucky on defense you would still lose so you'd almost never get a break from gravity.
    though I think not having to worry that the other team gets a lucky black break when climbing makes up for that.
  • Why is everyone in here completely ignoring OP's question and replying to the second post in the thread?
  • rooter wrote:
    Why is everyone in here completely ignoring OP's question and replying to the second post in the thread?

Isn't his question "how do I get to 1000?" Isn't that what's being discussed?
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out if i will be hitting 1K for the Kingpin cover myself since I don't have one. Would have been useful in the PvE but I placed well for there anyway. I hit 905 before I shielded but I have 15 hours left in the PvP. I noticed when I joined that people were already sitting a 800 points yesterday so you probably want to join early and climb.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    ynglink wrote:
    So I'm working on trying to get to the 1k mark for the first time in this event. Been having a lot of fun using purpleflag.png Kingpin to feed Hood. Been shooting people down with the Twin Pistols a lot in this PvP.

The problem w/ a kp/hood/xf? team is that it leaves red and blue uncovered, and your team is VERY vulnerable to surgical strike on defense. I've been running a (pur/yel) KP/cmag/xf team, and the offensive output is much greater w/ magneto on board, PLUS rainbow coverage.
  • ynglink
    Options
    puppychow wrote:
    ynglink wrote:

The problem w/ a kp/hood/xf? team is that it leaves red and blue uncovered, and your team is VERY vulnerable to surgical strike on defense. I've been running a (pur/yel) KP/cmag/xf team, and the offensive output is much greater w/ magneto on board, PLUS rainbow coverage.
    You assume I'm using XForce. I don't have a fully covered XForce, but I know I'm still vulnerable to Black, but I'm running blade, so I still have a use for red. Granted I know that I don't have full coverage, but I don't have a very large 3* roster right now. Blade and Hood are my highest. (Blade being my only max covered character)
  • Blade very specifically does NOT have a use for red. He has a use for red tiles and for your team not taking any red ever, but watch out for Thor Smites in this case.
  • ynglink
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    Blade very specifically does NOT have a use for red. He has a use for red tiles and for your team not taking any red ever, but watch out for Thor Smites in this case.
    Agreed, but I said I have a use for red icon_razz.gif Still works out very well with everyone rocking red-less teams in this event for me. I've seen a lot of Xforce/loaner/X teams. I've been using Purple on Kingpin to keep red in check if they are using Thor's and getting free damage for the red tiles. Overall though satisfied, but I can't really do any change up with my lineup as lack of stronger characters anyway.