If D3 made cars

Options
zeeke
zeeke Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Some time ago I got this awesome electric sports car, It was a drag though because I had to collect these three different vouchers that at first seems totally useless. But I listened to my team mates and they all said, just get all 13 of them and it will be awesome.

Well, I did, I found some around the factory but in the end I had to buy the last few, especially the ones for black paint, those seem to be the hardest. I took my new car out for a ride, but it would only go like 20 mph. Then I realized I had to fuel it up, not once but 430 000 times! And I only made enough at the factory for like 8 000 for fuel every day, and that was if I was really grinding and sweating it out. But finally I did it!

Month of hard work and a quite substantial portion of hard cash later I was on fire baby! I was winning most street races, at least against the interns and the hang arounds at the factory. But I heard them complaining, they thought it was unfair that my car was so fast when their cars that they spent a week or two trimming in their dad garage didn't go as fast. Damn communists, I had been working in the factory for 528 days straight, no vacations and they wanted the their car to be as fast as nice as mine?

A couple of weeks ago there was a recall on the latest model, the blue and red thunder truck. Apparently all the little kids got stuck bye its beauty and was so stunned they instantly died. Well, management did not like that, but instead of just toning the blue paint job down a bit they actually just sent people out to rub it off with screwdrivers. For some reason most of the small yellow stripes were destroyed as well even though the consensus was that the truck had way too little yellow paint to begin with.

Anyways, after spending another day at the factory I came out to the driveway to see a sign that my sports car will be replaced by a Nissan Micra in two weeks. Im not getting my money back either, they said I might get cents on the dollar, but its only in store credit. And it seems like the new models can't be trusted, they can apparently be towed even if you own them.

Maybe I'm not that into cars anymore, I hear the guys from Shinra and Midgar is doing some pretty cool stuff over in a art gallery. I might see if I like that.

/zeeke from a parallel dimension

Comments

• They should make vacuum cleaners. They'd put out more models, more often than Dyson, and would keep finding new interesting ways to suck all the time.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If D3 Made Dinner

"We made you Filet Mignon!"

"Well on the outside..."

"The inside is actually composed entirely of used syringes."

"Well...it wasnt' at first, but we pulled the ole switcheroo on you..."

"Decided steak was too good for ya. icon_e_wink.gif"
  • Some analogies are completely irrelevant. I understand the ire against the changes but comparing this to a car purchase is just as silly as the anti-piracy "You wouldn't download a car" message that started up a few years back.
  • zeeke
    Options
    dearbluey wrote:
    Some analogies are completely irrelevant. I understand the ire against the changes but comparing this to a car purchase is just as silly as the anti-piracy "You wouldn't download a car" message that started up a few years back.

Agreed, a movie cost $20 and just the covers for a 4 star is five times that. I should have compared it to a house.
  • zeeke wrote:
    dearbluey wrote:
    Some analogies are completely irrelevant. I understand the ire against the changes but comparing this to a car purchase is just as silly as the anti-piracy "You wouldn't download a car" message that started up a few years back.

Agreed, a movie cost $20 and just the covers for a 4 star is five times that. I should have compared it to a house.

Or how about compare it to other, similar digital goods?
  • zeeke
    Options
    Ok let's compare it to another digital good about the same cost, 6 month of Netflix. But after you pay for it you can not watch House of Cards, only Gilmore Girls.
  • dearbluey wrote:
    zeeke wrote:
    dearbluey wrote:

Or how about compare it to other, similar digital goods?

Give it up white knight! Zeeke gots ya beat easily on every attempt.
  • zeeke wrote:
    Ok let's compare it to another digital good about the same cost, 6 month of Netflix. But after you pay for it you can not watch House of Cards, only Gilmore Girls.
    Netflix adds and removes shows all the time you dingus
  • gamar wrote:
    zeeke wrote:
    Netflix adds and removes shows all the time you dingus

Like last night when they removed House of Cards and Gilmore Girls and replaced them With Discovery's Eaten Alive and Highlander - The Source.
  • zeeke wrote:

And they do this all the time. Shows go on and off Netflix pretty regularly, as contracts are renegotiated and usage stats are collated. There are still ten thousand (made up number) other things you can watch, if you choose to continue the service.

I wouldn't judge a person, but if House of Cards was the only reason the person had a monthly netflix subscription, well...

Oh, and @CoolB76, all I'm trying to do is encourage more reasonable and accurate comparisons. If you think me doing so is white-knighting, then that's your opinion and you're welcome to it. I'm not trying to beat him - you can't win an Internet argument - but maybe Zeeke should be comparing this to other online game microtransactions/game changes?
  • dearbluey wrote:
    zeeke wrote:

And they do this all the time. Shows go on and off Netflix pretty regularly, as contracts are renegotiated and usage stats are collated. There are still ten thousand (made up number) other things you can watch, if you choose to continue the service.

I wouldn't judge a person, but if House of Cards was the only reason the person had a monthly netflix subscription, well...

Oh, and @CoolB76, all I'm trying to do is encourage more reasonable and accurate comparisons. If you think me doing so is white-knighting, then that's your opinion and you're welcome to it. I'm not trying to beat him - you can't win an Internet argument - but maybe Zeeke should be comparing this to other online game microtransactions/game changes?

Sometimes more outlandish arguments make the point sink in a little better.
  • CoolB76 wrote:
    dearbluey wrote:
    zeeke wrote:

Politicians think that, too. It generally makes them sound ignorant to people with common sense.
  • dearbluey wrote:
    CoolB76 wrote:
    dearbluey wrote:
    zeeke wrote:

Politicians think that, too. It generally makes them sound ignorant to people with common sense.

Good thing this isn't political.
  • Fair enough - amending to "When people do this, " and the statement stands.
    We're both kind of getting off topic though - online game with microtransactions that gets rebalanced. This is pretty common. It sucks, but it isn't anything like swapping out a car.
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It's also not like there wasn't any precedent for this, either. Several other characters, some as early as hundreds of days ago, got down-balanced. More recently Sentry got whacked. What makes new characters immune? People have been expecting buffs to characters. How do you justify expecting buffs, then never expecting nerfs? It's a gamble. If you are paying to win by buying covers, you are gambling that those covers aren't going to be devalued when you know they have been in the past.

Let's say they didn't nerf X-Force. Let's say they left him alone completely. Instead, they quadrupled everyone else's damage and health. X-Force is now Beast level (or worse), but they didn't change him in the slightest. Do you still get a refund? After all, you've gotten exactly what you paid for.
  • zeeke
    Options
    Keep the **** in check here, there is nothing micro about the transactions that need to happen to cover and level a 4 star, either in cash or hours.

I will give you that Netflix changes shows around, but not their top content. Think of it as HBO go then and they replace Game of Thrones with Seeker. What it's still fantasy right?

Back to the issue at hand, just because other games have similar things happen to them doesn't make it right. If you seriously think that there is a difference to a company's commitment to its customers just because they are selling digital goods instead of physical ones I seriously hope you never end up working on my bank.
  • I'm not saying this post gave me a tumor but yea it gave me a tumor.
  • zeeke wrote:
    Keep the **** in check here, there is nothing micro about the transactions that need to happen to cover and level a 4 star, either in cash or hours.

Like Cool with his "Good thing this isn't political" swing, you're quibbling here. I referred to the expression microtransactions because that's what they're commonly known as. If you prefer, I can call them "in-app purchases" going forward, which is another name that's commonly used. Then can we move on from picking splinters?
    zeeke wrote:
    I will give you that Netflix changes shows around, but not their top content. Think of it as HBO go then and they replace Game of Thrones with Seeker. What it's still fantasy right?

Every single show that Netflix doesn't personally create, they have to renegotiate their contracts on a periodic basis - at any time they can decide the purchase price is too high for the digital rights and drop the show from its streaming service. Game of Thrones is an HBO show - they don't have to negotiate with themselves. So yes, Netflix's top content - ALL their content that they don't make themselves - can be changed up or moved off of instant watch. The fact that right now they see it worth the price to keep particular shows is no indication of future performance.
    zeeke wrote:
    Back to the issue at hand, just because other games have similar things happen to them doesn't make it right. If you seriously think that there is a difference to a company's commitment to its customers just because they are selling digital goods instead of physical ones I seriously hope you never end up working on my bank.

Zeeke, I'll lay out my opinion on the matter here in full (and it's just, you know, my opinion. Nobody has to share it.) to clarify my position.
    Since the very start of online gaming, the developers and programmers have adjusted, tweaked or otherwise changed the games they offer. Not every game, obviously, but a darn good percentage. Things get buffed, nerfed, or just switched around on a fairly regular basis across the whole online gaming platform.

Blizzard, for example, tweaks and adjusts (and at the occasion of their Expansions, outright change) their Starcraft, Diablo, Hearthstone and World of Warcraft properties. People not only pay money for the games, but in the case of Hearthstone are able to pay for extra packs of cards, and in WoW pay a monthly fee of, what, $14.95? - and Blizzard nerfs and buffs all the time.

Other online games do the same thing. Mobile games, same thing. It's not just something that happens every once in a while, it's the industry standard ever since the industry began. And the reason they do this is because they are committed to their customer base, not because they don't care for them. Why? Because for an online game to thrive, it can't stay stagnant. Change has to be made - it's a good thing. Adjustments, tweaks, even major changes to the way the game is played are a shock to get used to but for the overall health of the game they keep things dynamic and moving. Sure, sometimes the river is serene and other times it gets rough as hell, but the boat's in good condition and will keep sailing on regardless.

Ultimately, people will be unhappy with change. They're used to something. It works for them. They are invested in it. They don't see why it has to change. But the gaming companies (all of them, not just this one) MUST look beyond the now and keep moving. It's not just a good thing, it's a needed thing.

Does this mean I agree with or like every change and iteration the game goes through? Heck no - I was notably irked by the True Healing/Burst of Health change last year. But I realized that it was a necessary change for the game to evolve. Right now, X-Force is The Character To Have for both PvE and PvP (again, opinion may vary) and that's something that will change shortly and we will need to adjust to a new way of playing. Or, you know, stop playing. Valid option. Are there other things that the developers could change/adjust/fix/add? Sure. Absolutely. But they have to take into account time, complexity, the Word of God (Marvel) and whether a change will indeed be for the benefit of the game or not and whether they can actually devote the resources to it. Do they always get the adjustments right? Nope. X-force is a prime example - they buffed him up not THAT long ago, and now are correcting their miscalculation. Did they go too far in the opposite direction? Probably. Time will tell.

Also take into account that every single person has their own personal opinion on how the game should be adjusted "for the better". Except we're not the next of kin who get to decide whether and where to operate - we're in the waiting room with our own issues.

I'm not a white knight for the company, honestly. I'm just a guy who understands why things have to change, and doesn't become emotionally invested in them because of that. I've been through far too many changes in far too many games to not understand it.

I know that was a lot of blah blah blah, but I hope it helps you see where I'm coming from on the issue.

TL:DR - Change is healthy, worrying, common, frustrating, and good. Not everything works as intended first time around, or even second. Patience. Understanding. Pizza with pineapple. Things will settle down.
  • Lloyd Christmas
    Options
    There are unfortunately car dealers that do even worse things. They finance vehicles to people with bad credit knowing they will have trouble making the payment. When the car buyer misses one payment the dealer repossesses the car but the buyer is still responsible to pay off the loan in full but they no longer have the car. The dealer can then sell the same car to another person and be receiving payments for the same car from multiple people. Point being there are worse things going on in the world. At least with the OP's original analogy he was left with a Nissan Micra...
  • zeeke
    Options
    There are unfortunately car dealers that do even worse things. They finance vehicles to people with bad credit knowing they will have trouble making the payment. When the car buyer misses one payment the dealer repossesses the car but the buyer is still responsible to pay off the loan in full but they no longer have the car. The dealer can then sell the same car to another person and be receiving payments for the same car from multiple people. Point being there are worse things going on in the world. At least with the OP's original analogy he was left with a Nissan Micra...

No,. Just no. Xforce isn't changed for people who financed him. If you buy stuff you can't afford you deserve to have our taken away.
    dearbluey wrote:
    zeeke wrote:

Like Cool with his "Good thing this isn't political" swing, you're quibbling here. I referred to the expression microtransactions because that's what they're commonly known as. If you prefer, I can call them "in-app purchases" going forward, which is another name that's commonly used. Then can we move on from picking splinters?
    zeeke wrote:

Every single show that Netflix doesn't personally create, they have to renegotiate their contracts on a periodic basis - at any time they can decide the purchase price is too high for the digital rights and drop the show from its streaming service. Game of Thrones is an HBO show - they don't have to negotiate with themselves. So yes, Netflix's top content - ALL their content that they don't make themselves - can be changed up or moved off of instant watch. The fact that right now they see it worth the price to keep particular shows is no indication of future performance.
    zeeke wrote:

Zeeke, I'll lay out my opinion on the matter here in full (and it's just, you know, my opinion. Nobody has to share it.) to clarify my position.
    Since the very start of online gaming, the developers and programmers have adjusted, tweaked or otherwise changed the games they offer. Not every game, obviously, but a darn good percentage. Things get buffed, nerfed, or just switched around on a fairly regular basis across the whole online gaming platform.

Blizzard, for example, tweaks and adjusts (and at the occasion of their Expansions, outright change) their Starcraft, Diablo, Hearthstone and World of Warcraft properties. People not only pay money for the games, but in the case of Hearthstone are able to pay for extra packs of cards, and in WoW pay a monthly fee of, what, $14.95? - and Blizzard nerfs and buffs all the time.

Other online games do the same thing. Mobile games, same thing. It's not just something that happens every once in a while, it's the industry standard ever since the industry began. And the reason they do this is because they are committed to their customer base, not because they don't care for them. Why? Because for an online game to thrive, it can't stay stagnant. Change has to be made - it's a good thing. Adjustments, tweaks, even major changes to the way the game is played are a shock to get used to but for the overall health of the game they keep things dynamic and moving. Sure, sometimes the river is serene and other times it gets rough as hell, but the boat's in good condition and will keep sailing on regardless.

Ultimately, people will be unhappy with change. They're used to something. It works for them. They are invested in it. They don't see why it has to change. But the gaming companies (all of them, not just this one) MUST look beyond the now and keep moving. It's not just a good thing, it's a needed thing.

Does this mean I agree with or like every change and iteration the game goes through? Heck no - I was notably irked by the True Healing/Burst of Health change last year. But I realized that it was a necessary change for the game to evolve. Right now, X-Force is The Character To Have for both PvE and PvP (again, opinion may vary) and that's something that will change shortly and we will need to adjust to a new way of playing. Or, you know, stop playing. Valid option. Are there other things that the developers could change/adjust/fix/add? Sure. Absolutely. But they have to take into account time, complexity, the Word of God (Marvel) and whether a change will indeed be for the benefit of the game or not and whether they can actually devote the resources to it. Do they always get the adjustments right? Nope. X-force is a prime example - they buffed him up not THAT long ago, and now are correcting their miscalculation. Did they go too far in the opposite direction? Probably. Time will tell.

Also take into account that every single person has their own personal opinion on how the game should be adjusted "for the better". Except we're not the next of kin who get to decide whether and where to operate - we're in the waiting room with our own issues.

I'm not a white knight for the company, honestly. I'm just a guy who understands why things have to change, and doesn't become emotionally invested in them because of that. I've been through far too many changes in far too many games to not understand it.

I know that was a lot of blah blah blah, but I hope it helps you see where I'm coming from on the issue.

TL:DR - Change is healthy, worrying, common, frustrating, and good. Not everything works as intended first time around, or even second. Patience. Understanding. Pizza with pineapple. Things will settle down.

You know, I'm not against change at all. I was for a 4 nerf. What pissed people of real bad there is the change to yellow. It was under powered to begin with and got even more collateral damage.

I'm not even saying xforce doesn't need to change its just the way they handle it. They don't tune him. They brake him.

A reduction on how black works would be fine, wet don't use out for the damage, we use it for AP generation and that it comes with almost every other toon in the game and make the game more interesting.

And the thing is, when a "real" company **** up, they over compensate their customers. Don't give Baal cents on the dollar. D3 should just bite the pillow on this one, offer is to sell back for the amount wet spent in HP and even give back the 430k ISO. There done. Sorry we did it wrong. We have felt the pain and will put in more resources from the start to not have a user base that feel cheated and taken for granted