The big lie aka the 2* transition is easier

Options
Tarouza
Tarouza Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I have seen a lot of people complaining that the 2*-3* transition has been made easier at the expense of the vets who have been playing since day one. Now I will certainly admit that the vets have had it pretty rough with the 4* thor nerf and mmr changes, however, let me tell you this transition is no picnic lately either. I am about 200 days in and firmly in the transition time and it is extremely rough due to changes.

Smash Hits PVP has been utterly brutal on the transitioning roster.'i have a mix of max 94 2* chars and lvl 94 3* and 4* chars that don't have full covers (majority of of them range from 6-9 covers with a few 10-12 and the rest 5 or less). I hit about 125 points and I hit the wall of 166s and 250+ hulks. I have been able to place top 100 in pvp about 6-7 out of 10 on avg never above top 50, but generally 450-550 points before having to shield. I am not going to be able to be close this time. So for all of you pining for the good old days of 94s it sucks, yes your battles might be tougher in 3* land and you have to use health packs, but your matches are winnable they just take more time.

PVE - yes it is easier due to your roster scaling, but I was still seeing lvl 200 plus on goons and 180's or better on some nodes during kingpin pve.

If any other transitioner wants to chime in at share their experiences it would be welcome. Let's debunk the big lie that the game is easier for the transitioning roster and let the devs know it is harder then ever for us as well

Comments

• Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, but a bit ahead of you roster-wise. However I have noticed in the last couple of hours that after a loss against some of the absurd match-ups I'm being given that I am finding more reasonable matches, including other 94's. And since losing to the top tier guys lost me a whole 4 points, it's not that much of a price to pay to get to the more level playing field.

Bear in mind I discovered this almost immediately posting about how much I hate this event and am not enjoying the new system at all. Turns out it may have needed some calibration. Though I'm still struggling to stay near 400 points, whereas in the previous system I'd usually hit 600ish points, but then settle down around 500 at the end.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    Options
    I have a majority 94 2* roster with only two 3* at 100, one being Hulk.I just entered with 24 hours to go in my slot and I was matched with 200+ 4* and full or nearly full 3* as soon as I went above a hundred points.

I usually play PVP up to 300, sometimes 400, enough to win some HP and guarantee the season 10 pack (I do not want to give more time to the game). I wonder if I'll be able to make it here.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I retract my previous statement. I'm now on a consistent losing streak and am still seeing maxed teams.

Horrible. Just spectacularly awful. May actually kill the game for me. PVE is simply not that interesting and this has destroyed my PVP experience and ambitions.
  • MarvelDestiny
    MarvelDestiny Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm sitting at only 172 points for Smash and all I get are 140s, 160s, 200s, ect when I skip. Ditto for the shield sim too.

Scaling in PVE is bad too. All the enemies in the Crossfire node in PS: Manhattan (Pun, don, hitman) are in the 140s. That might've been winnable if they were all goons but 140+ Punisher with a goon feeding him blk is impossible.

EDIT: less than 2 hrs later and all enemys in that node have jumped more than 10 lvls.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It might be because bigger players have only dipped into PVP so far. One thing regarding MMR it will give you tougher opponents the closer you are to the leader. So if when you start and you have 100 points but you are in 10th place you will see harder opponents than when you are in 200th place. Try waiting a couple of hours and then skipping a couple people.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    There's definitely a flaw (an unintended one, I mean) in the new matchmaking system. I was obviously placed in the "transitioner" tier, because my first teams after the seeds mostly ranged from about 94 to 140. I only have a single 166, though I have nine that are cover maxed. The next down is 150, then 140 etc. I'm wondering if they use the same "average of top four" that they're now using for teamups, and have created a "transitioner" range based on that.

If so, this truly is a dire time to be transitioning. If your top characters range from 94 to 140, and you're facing a 166 Thor and a 190 Hulk, the fact that Loki is only 150 isn't going to make much of a difference.
  • MarvelDestiny
    MarvelDestiny Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    It might be because bigger players have only dipped into PVP so far. One thing regarding MMR it will give you tougher opponents the closer you are to the leader. So if when you start and you have 100 points but you are in 10th place you will see harder opponents than when you are in 200th place. Try waiting a couple of hours and then skipping a couple people.

I have. I've been stuck for the last 24hrs regardless of how much skipping I do. The wall ain't goin' nowhere.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime wrote:

I have. I've been stuck for the last 24hrs regardless of how much skipping I do. The wall ain't goin' nowhere.
    Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it will get better soon
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah the star.pngstar.png to star.pngstar.pngstar.png transition sucks bad. It's a LOT easier to get to star.pngstar.png now than it was a year ago though.
  • I can also confirm this. I usually had to reach 600-700 before facing 166+270 folks, now, I'm at 400+ and already struggling. I only have an almost maxed DD and a couple of star.pngstar.pngstar.png who still are in 90+/100+. The change is not good for us transitioners. icon_e_sad.gif
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Tarouza wrote:
    PVE - yes it is easier due to your roster scaling, but I was still seeing lvl 200 plus on goons and 180's or better on some nodes during kingpin pve.

If any other transitioner wants to chime in at share their experiences it would be welcome. Let's debunk the big lie that the game is easier for the transitioning roster and let the devs know it is harder then ever for us as well

I'll take your lvl200 and raise you lvl 370..... Against a 2* team.

PvP is just 166 city.
  • saintsomebody
    Options
    As a 1*-2* transitioner, I find all this doom and gloom I am seeing very unnerving.

In case you're wondering: no, I haven seen much change in placement. I still get about 200 PvP points and then hit a wall, and after Thick As Thieves (9th in my bracket), my pve scaling is astronomical for Prodigal Sun.

Edited for spelling errors.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,306 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tarouza wrote:
    I have seen a lot of people complaining that the 2*-3* transition has been made easier at the expense of the vets who have been playing since day one. Now I will certainly admit that the vets have had it pretty rough with the 4* thor nerf and mmr changes, however, let me tell you this transition is no picnic lately either. I am about 200 days in and firmly in the transition time and it is extremely rough due to changes.

Smash Hits PVP has been utterly brutal on the transitioning roster.'i have a mix of max 94 2* chars and lvl 94 3* and 4* chars that don't have full covers (majority of of them range from 6-9 covers with a few 10-12 and the rest 5 or less). I hit about 125 points and I hit the wall of 166s and 250+ hulks. I have been able to place top 100 in pvp about 6-7 out of 10 on avg never above top 50, but generally 450-550 points before having to shield. I am not going to be able to be close this time. So for all of you pining for the good old days of 94s it sucks, yes your battles might be tougher in 3* land and you have to use health packs, but your matches are winnable they just take more time.

Dude, understand this, only this, if you will ever understand anything: You were NOT there. We were the ones who had to live life as a transitioner 6 months or more ago. You literally have no idea how it was back then. So however hardships you feel you are having nowadays, if we tell you that we had it harder you will just bow down to our superior, first-hand account of matters.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The point a lot of veterans seem to miss is that the sheer amount of new characters make it harder to complete the 3star who you're aiming for. It sucks when your best 3star gets vaulted and you will have to wait X months to get another cover for it. There's some things like Deadpool fun that help the transition but I think it's still harder than before the vaulting came into play.
  • I'm not sure it harder or easier I just believe we now face a different set of challenges than the previous generation of transitioner's:

- more 3* characters means reduced chance in acquiring the cover you need, slowing progress.
    - more 3* rosters to compete against. I remember ranking high enough to get a top 100 cover in PVP back at the start of my transition now I'll be lucky to rank in the top 200.
    - easier 2* covers, now that 2* are easier to get I'm seeing a bottleneck at transitioner's level. Transitional speed is not consistent, this I will assume is the same for the 3-4* transition.

Basically if you can't compete for a specific cover then you need to rely on luck or a financial investment in order to start development of your roster (remember DPD is only good if you have the featured cover). You also need to hold on to every 3* cover you need so you can play DPD, this compromises slots, again alliviated with an investment of cash.

It's almost as if this game is designed for me to spend money on it, oh wait a minute it is!
  • Smash Hit is brutal on the transitioning roster for the fact that you're fighting Hulk, and at least 4 free Hulk Green covers have been given out. For a 2* roster, Smash Hit is a slog. For everyone else, it's still a slog because fighting Hulk is super slow. Scores are always lower on Smash Hit, so judging the 2* transition by this one event is not representative.

When 2* were first coming out, getting 2* was hard. Top tier players and dedicated players could get them.
    When 3* first came out, getting 3* was even harder.
    Then the rewards were relaxed a little. A 2* roster could hit T100 with some effort and snag a cover.
    Then it got harder.

More people had 3* and 4* teams. Getting T100 required more timing, luck, or shields.
    Before DDQ getting T100 for a 2* in a pvp required timing, luck, AND shield hopping.

With DDQ, the transition once again seems doable, even with the great number of heroes. The correct strategy for a 2* transition team (at least 2 maxed 2* teams) is HOARD TOKENS, even standard ones.
  • LegendReborn
    Options
    If hoarding tokens is by far the best "strategy" for someone trying to transition from two stars, the transition is in a terrible place. Asking someone to essentially not play the game (let's be honest, opening tokens is half of the point of the game or at least its reward) is wrong and means that something needs a major overhaul. For example, I think a half assed remedy would be creating a "bench" where you can recruit characters that you can't bring into your roster yet. It won't solve or ease the transition but it will at least not demand the transiting player throw down fifty plus bucks for roster slots while praying for covers to finish a single character.

The transition was tough when I was making it half a year ago but it's so much worse now and it will only continue to get worse without d3 making major shifts with the transition structure.

PS DDQ benefits people with an established three star base far more than a transitioning player. A random cover here and there isn't going to make your transition much faster, especially since most of the three stars aren't great for a transitioning player anyway.
  • If you can don't hoard tokens, then be prepared to throw away a lot of 3* covers or spend money. The game is designed to make impatient people pay. If you have patience and can wait you'll be a lot better off. There will never be a bench, because where's the money in that? If you choose to be impatient, then it's really on you.
    PS DDQ benefits people with an established three star base far more than a transitioning player.
    Yes, and that's the way it should be. Everything does, not just DDQ. Why else would people try to establish their rosters if not to progress and win?
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    i started playing shortly after launch, so I'm no Spring chick. I've sold The Hood, Spider-Man, Sentry, C.Mags (really regretting that), and MANY more to make space because I didn't want to spend $$ on the game.

From that statement, you should have gleaned the key of all of this. TIme & Money. You choose one. You don't get to transition easily without either putting in a lot of time or a lot of money.

The notion that building a character becomes more difficult because new ones are coming out will **And I emphasize here** NEVER change. They (the dev) intend to make it an uphill battle to get your characters aptly covered.

Deadpool's Daily Quest is a way to sate those who think they don't get enough 3* covers while reinforcing the ISO * AND * HP grinding. This game doesn't follow other F2P models, where one currency is given and gained easily while the other makes the game speed up. In this game, both currencies are hard fought and earned. Covers are no different.
  • LegendReborn
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    If you can don't hoard tokens, then be prepared to throw away a lot of 3* covers or spend money. The game is designed to make impatient people pay. If you have patience and can wait you'll be a lot better off. There will never be a bench, because where's the money in that? If you choose to be impatient, then it's really on you.
    PS DDQ benefits people with an established three star base far more than a transitioning player.
    Yes, and that's the way it should be. Everything does, not just DDQ. Why else would people try to establish their rosters if not to progress and win?

Contrary to what some vets like to believe, making it easier for people to transition is a positive thing to aim for, especially since every new character to the game makes the transition a bit harder. An easier transition would make for a healthier base for the game. A healthier base for the game would mean that d3 would rely less on whales trying to skip past the transition and more people spending money on things like shields.

It's baffling to me that they haven't been selling alternative animations for abilities, little cosmetic bling, alternative skins for characters or other non gameplay impacting elements. People love to show off and there are many ways for us to show off without linking it back to having the higher level character.