Giving up on 65,000

2»

Comments

• Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    I ended up with 106k points, which was good for 3rd place in my bracket.

I played each node every eight hours, doing double runs when I knew I wouldn't be able to play the next refresh because of, you know, life. Spent about an hour on a final grind for each refresh, two hours for the final sub.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    This has been the most difficult event to get to the last progression reward in a long while. I got to the 65k the last day with just one more clear to do (I was playing just for the progression, so 2-3 clears a day with 2-3 repetitions the last day of each sub-event).

In the past it was far more difficult to get all progression rewards, I hope we dont get back to these days...
  • liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 471 Mover and Shaker
    Thanks. Hearing what other people did is really helpful. In retrospect I should have been more realistic about time constraints and sat this one out, but I kept thinking the last few sub nodes would be more generous. Lesson learned. On to Loki.
  • Everyone in the top 50 of my bracket got there, and a lot of us, myself included shipped the first sub. I ended up at about 70k or so, and that was solely to keep top 50.
    Didn't feel like I was grinding too much, left tons of points on the table.
  • Cymmina
    Cymmina Posts: 413 Mover and Shaker
    Lerysh wrote:
    I got 105,000 for 4th place. I imagine that means a more casual player could get 57,000 easily and 65,000 with some work required. It would of course be much easier if you already had a KK, but that's always true of the progression reward.

But a player who *doesn't* have the required character should be able to reach the final progression (I've done it before a couple times now with a modest amount of effort), and I don't see how that could have been possible this time around. I had the required character this time around and the amount of grinding needed to do it was unreasonable.
  • I made it with a minute left, 65,023 points total for the event. Came in 4th on my slice...I was sweating though icon_eek.gif
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I got mine with 6 hours left, did not want KP as i didn't have any roster slots open, barely got out of getting him, finished 55 and got my DD blue.. which i decided to pump 35k iso into to level to 107 thinking he would be an essential for the next PVE.. oops. But no regrets, i love DD, now if i can just get a yellow ability for cyclops to pair it with!
  • I made it to 65k and I didn't even join from the start, although it was close. It was not fun however. Tedious and boring gameplay against 250-330 enemies who could one-shot you if a CD went through. I consider skipping the current pve because it is Easter this weekend here, or maybe join and hope for the best after I return home in Monday/Tuesday. It's good to know than next week we don't have a new character because I already experienced in Thick as Thieves how much damage it can do if you don't have the featured character. I got my first kamala 1 day after I joined the pve. Final rank in pve was close to #40.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    I wasnt too into it as I knew I couldnt play enough for T50. having to play optimally for the entire event just to have a chance to sniff T50 is ridiculous...yet people do it. I played about 2 refreshes each day (and missed one sub end grind) but I made up for it by grinding on and off the last 7 hours. Hit 65,031 with <1 min remaining. That score put me at 140 in my main.
  • liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 471 Mover and Shaker
    My score of 55,059 put me at 186th. It's amazing to me how much variation there is per shard. Top ranked in mine was Morak at 110, 297 which is almost exactly double.
  • Unknown
    edited April 2015
    Contributing my experience...I joined the event with 2 days left (Fresh Bracket, Shard 5). I made optimal clears and then ground the sub's nodes down to 1 on my final clear. I then made optimal clears on the final sub and again ground each node down to 1 for the final clear. I ended the event with 66496 total points.

EDIT: I earned a third place finish

marc
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    mouser wrote:
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    I gave up yesterday. Saw that I needed to make up about 20,000 points today. That wasn't going to happen.....

Maybe a mistake on your part then. 20k points was very achievable if you picked up some of those points yesterday.

Edit: and had Kamala.

I did have Kamala. I also have a team (172 X-force, 144 LStorm, and Kamala or R&G (140) or Blade (114)) that can take down some nodes extremely easily, so that personal scaling goes up... and yet are incapable of succesfully defeating certain combinations of characters (e.g. the level 200 Hood/Bullseye/someone else - Ares?) that popped up in this event. I knew I could clear 5-6000 points on a fresh clear of the nodes I could successfully clear (including required), and then get wiped out.

So yes, I probably could have, with significant amounts of grinding, gotten those 20k points. But I don't see the need to go way out of my way to get a Kingpin cover that will be available in other ways down the road (and could appear magically from a standard token -- that's actually how I got my first Lady Thor cover). I already have a job. I don't need to make this game a second one.... icon_e_wink.gif
  • joined the last 19 minutes played 15 min did 2 event nodes and 2 essential nodes got up to 2* cap progression award and place top 200 netting me 1 event token some hp 25, like 1000 iso8.png not too shabby for 15 min.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    I was over 100k for the event, but I know that 65k of my score came from just the final 2 subs (from an admittedly committed effort).

The final sub wound up being good for ~30k points by itself, but that required a full clear every 8 hours, and then a final grind spread of the final 2.5 hours of the event where I hit everything twice, and did the essentials all 6 times. The 2nd sub was also good for ~35k. That was another clear every 8 hours (after falling asleep and missing the opening clear) and a 2.5 hour commitment at the end. The normal clears took 30-40 minutes; and slice 5 worked out such that I was able to do the full clears at pretty convenient times - 8 hr refreshes on subs that 24 or 48 hours (so the end at the same time each time) are helpful.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I didn't make it. I scored 51,650, rank 108 in my bracket. 16K of it in the last sub.

I did not play optimally, but I never do and have only not hit progression one other time when the points were ridiculously high or very hard to come by... may have been Gauntlet...

I believe my problem has been with scaling these last few PVE's. The 2nd to last sub had a couple nodes that I just couldn't clear, got wiped every time, not to mention losing a bunch of my Health Packs on ill timed efforts at the hosed MMR in PVP.

I'm pretty sure if I had ignored my family some this weekend, and didn't finish building the playset for the toddler, skipped church Friday night, I could have played optimally, but I made my choices. What seemed odd is that most PVE progression rewards are set at a reasonable amount that allow you to have a life. This wasn't really one of them. Oh well. KK stays with 1 cover, at least I got a KingPin through my Alliance.

At least Prodigal Sun seems very reachable, and I can actually benefit from Loki's Green cover, it's the one cover I don't have for him yet.
  • skippytx
    skippytx Posts: 89
    I made it to 65,000 on the last day. I did start a fresh slice 5 bracket Friday morning when the old one filled. I started in the low 20's and ended up 34th in my bracket. I did not play optimally at all, but did have to stay up late grinding the last 2 nights until 3 AM to stay in the mid 30's range in the bracket. Had to grind the points out and then hit the nodes once after 2AM. It's the first time I've actually sacrificed sleep for this game, and I'm not sure how I feel about it to be honest. Optimal players in the bracket landed almost 100K points. It was pretty amusing watching the battle between Human Torch and Krognar for the #1 spot.