A new character?

Options

Comments

• Will get 3+ covers in PVP. Not a single kitty was given.

Won't have the ISO to level new characters....don't care about new characters. The sooner you guys realize you don't have to have em all, the happier you will be icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    turul wrote:
    this character release will also be followed with the normal week off, so nothing new next week.

Sorry, that's incredibly small comfort. "It's not four in a row" is not a real concession.

I'm assuming the game is in trouble. This is a really, really bad sign.

The other potential reason is that Demi have contractual obligations to get certain characters out according to Marvel's timeline, particularly with the new Avengers movie, plus DD on Netflix etc. Either way, I would imagine that they're not allowed to comment as such.
  • arktos1971 wrote:
    It makes sense.

You do need to grind all PvEs in order to get the next character.

So, you've missed Kamala ? You'll miss Kingpin, so you'll miss Unknown...

You still want to play the game after that ?

You certainly MUST love the Marvel Universe.

My parents used to read me Spider-Man and Fantastic Four before I could read myself. A few years ago I discovered that the first comic I can remember, distinctly, was Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #1 from December 1976 when I was I not quite four years old. I am definitely playing this because I love the Marvel universe.
  • raisinbman wrote:
    scottee wrote:
    I'm glad for more characters. When you reach max covers for most 3*s, you need more to work toward.

Said no one ever

I found the D3 spy

So you're not yet at the point where you start to save up pve-event tokens because you got all featured characters already max covered?
  • siebenvier wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    scottee wrote:
    I'm glad for more characters. When you reach max covers for most 3*s, you need more to work toward.

Said no one ever

I found the D3 spy

So you're not yet at the point where you start to save up pve-event tokens because you got all featured characters already max covered?

max covers?

AHHAHAHAHAH you're funny.

Deadpool daily is the ONLY thing bringing me to max covers, buddy.

New characters every other week certainly isn't helping in that regard.

And if you're serious, even if I had every 3* covered and iso-ed out, I'd still have 4* characters to work towards.

And many others talk about not having roster spots. Like a wise man once said - I got 99 problems...
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,207 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    all 3 covers sound lame.. I be happy for top 150 even if that.. Maybe even just allow my team to get it for me in the top team.
  • if this is who the speculation is, i can't wait. Thanks!
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Switchman wrote:
    Will get 3+ covers in PVP. Not a single kitty was given.

Won't have the ISO to level new characters....don't care about new characters. The sooner you guys realize you don't have to have em all, the happier you will be icon_e_biggrin.gif

100%, Switch. I don't have Prof X, StarLord, or Kingpin and I don't care. None of them are game changers for me, not seeing any less Lady Parts Thor or X-Force...Don't get why anybody beats themselves up for all the new covers when they so don't matter and if they did they would be "fixed" for the "health of the game". Take some events off, forget about the **** scaling for three to five days. These characters will only matter once anyway. With the scaling it's not as if having the new kid so you can play an essential is all that crucial.

EDIT: Trust me when I tell you the first time you miss an "important" cover you will feel a little nauseous, a little desperate and you will be worried. It will take a few days but you will come to realize that you haven't ruined your game, that you still have a powerful roster and can still play and you will be ok. You will get to the point where you see yet another miserable festering pile of excrement - unholy god forsaken Heroic event with buffed Moonstone and 2* Captain America ( icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ) and you will think to yourself thank Christ I finally figured out I don't need to get every crummy 4*... Just like I did. And you will spend much less money and be so much happier for it!
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think their hand was forced. They needed to release characters on Marvel's request, as a tie-in for the Netflix series and movie release. I wouldn't be surprised if Scarlet Witch drops by 24 Apr, with Ultron coming May 1.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    scottee wrote:

Said no one ever

I found the D3 spy

There's been whole weeks where I don't need a single 3* reward or progression reward for a 4*. I usually don't bother to try for top 1 in PVP, and never for top 2 in PVE. So yes, I want more to do. I've had plenty of times I've logged into MPQ, saw I had nothing to do (waiting for PVE refresh, shielded in PVP), and went and played another game. Started playing Contest of Champions till it got boring. Now I play some Hearthstone.

Seriously, I know transitioners want so much to get over that transition hump, but after that, there's not much left to do. Wait for the 4* covers I need to become available in PVP. (Only care for Prof X, but working on Elektra/Starlord because there's nothing else to work toward.) In 3* land, wait on covers to work on finishing Iron First and Kamala.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I agree that this is an incredibly player unfriendly development.

A new character every other week is already too much given the other systems in place in the game (i.e. roster slot pricing, expiring covers etc).

To double that release rate for the better part of a month, and to do so with absolutely no prior communication to the player base, and to do so after the player base already voiced significant complaints about the flood of new characters in November and December 2014, is quite disappointing.

I renew my speculation that something odd is going on at demiurge and/or d3. The character release schedule is a mess, the 4* play space is a mess, the character development workflow seems strained (remember that less than a month ago, two consecutive new characters had to be significantly altered either pre-release or within a week of release. To me that suggests that the design teams don't have enough time to fully bake all these new characters), the roster slot price is effectively a strong disincentive for veterans to continue expanding their rosters (since the roster slots always cost more, and the rate of character release has only increased).
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Options
    scottee wrote:
    Agreed.

New characters are fun and keep this game interesting. Many of the recent ones in particular are great because nearly all of them (save for kingpin) feel like they could have a useful place in terms of power.

If there is an issue it's not one of having too many characters but rather one of having insufficient means to target the covers you want/need in a reasonable amount of time. Especially when limited to one character per event and strict number of events per week. This worked fine for a while but the game has ballooned in character size.

This issue is only further illustrated by the hilarious size of the vaulted characters list. There are a tone of potential solutions to this issue you simply need to pick one.

Examples:
    1) Non season events that run along side pvp's and award vaulted covers

2) Allow players to choose among 3-5 character covers per pvp. The chosen cover could become their featured character to make things more interesting as well.

3) Introduce 3* tokens. These can either train any skill of your choosing or you could limit them to batches. For example the token would be limited to any skill among the following 5 characters...
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    morph3us wrote:
    The other potential reason is that Demi have contractual obligations to get certain characters out according to Marvel's timeline, particularly with the new Avengers movie, plus DD on Netflix etc.
    This type of marketing effort isn't going to work on me, because after all this grinding, I'm not going to be in the mood to watch anything Marvel for a while...
  • simonsez wrote:
    morph3us wrote:
    The other potential reason is that Demi have contractual obligations to get certain characters out according to Marvel's timeline, particularly with the new Avengers movie, plus DD on Netflix etc.
    This type of marketing effort isn't going to work on me, because after all this grinding, I'm not going to be in the mood to watch anything Marvel for a while...

This is what led me to read and collect Marvel comics.

I'm pretty disapointed by Agents of Shield though. I hope Agent Carter will be more appealing to me.
  • ^^^ I effing knew it. All spies!

Nobody ever asked me to be a spy, too icon_e_sad.gif
  • simonsez wrote:
    morph3us wrote:

Considering you're on the forums, its prob not targeted to you
    scottee wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    scottee wrote:

Said no one ever

I found the D3 spy

There's been whole weeks where I don't need a single 3* reward or progression reward for a 4*. I usually don't bother to try for top 1 in PVP, and never for top 2 in PVE. So yes, I want more to do. I've had plenty of times I've logged into MPQ, saw I had nothing to do (waiting for PVE refresh, shielded in PVP), and went and played another game. Started playing Contest of Champions till it got boring. Now I play some Hearthstone.

Seriously, I know transitioners want so much to get over that transition hump, but after that, there's not much left to do. Wait for the 4* covers I need to become available in PVP. (Only care for Prof X, but working on Elektra/Starlord because there's nothing else to work toward.) In 3* land, wait on covers to work on finishing Iron First and Kamala.

That makes you a very, very small minority - Deadpool daily exists for a great reason as do the many threads I've created. For instance, a couple days ago I was talking to someone on their 512~th day who STILL hadn't passed the 2* transition.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wanted Kingpin, but I chose the wrong time, and I just couldn't wake myself up for the grind. My bad. But really? Are we actually about to see a, "You didn't get the 4*, so you can't get the 3*" situation? I mean, I get it when there's a new 2*. Drag yourself through the mud. Get through it. Sell the one you didn't want.

But there's a difference here. Every other character intro event gives you one cover for 150th place. Then, if you don't have it for the next essential, it's because you didn't put in the required effort. Or you weren't strong enough, and you need to develop your roster. But to screw players out of the next new character because they couldn't make top 50 in the last event? That's a bit much. Can we not do this?

I don't need this new character, anyways. I have a good 3* roster, and I'm looking to build up to 4* now. But I feel like this is a bit too exclusionary, even for MPQ.

That's where I fall. New 3* for new 4* was ridiculous, screaming out "PAY TO WIN!".

If the new 4* is an essential for a new 3*, it screams out "PAY TO PLAY!", and I'll be done with this game.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    If the new 4* is an essential for a new 3*, it screams out "PAY TO PLAY!", and I'll be done with this game.

You can probably start drafting your retirement thread now then.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    latest?cb=20131224101448
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,535 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    scottee wrote:

Said no one ever

I found the D3 spy

Actually, I suspect most of us are glad for more characters - raisinbman is absolutely right. The need new content to keep people interested in the game or else people will quit once they max out a decent portion of their current roster. The problem is the pace. That and new characters are only nominally new content.

I really think every other week is too much. Every event is ridiculous. They said this is an outlier, but that's small comfort when they're just going to go back to the normal schedule after this. Realistically this should be it for April.