Why do you keep playing if you aren't enjoying yourself?

Options
2»

Comments

• arktos1971 wrote:
    daibar wrote:
    Did you know that the first MPQ was designed to be a perfect human world where none suffered, where everyone would be happy? It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed that we lacked the programming language to describe your "perfect world". But I believe that, as a species human beings define their reality through misery and suffering. So the perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake from.

Wow, you've read the bible and some philosophy.

Thanks for sharing your intellectual wisdom here.

Actually, I think he's seen the Matrix.
  • Have seen it, but don't remember that icon_e_smile.gif
  • Spider_Jerusalem
    Spider_Jerusalem Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Kelbris wrote:
    djsquillz wrote:

D3 is incompetent.

marc

Are they, though? Look at all the money they're making.

Freemium games are about psychological influence. The random chance mechanisms prey on the dopamine receptors in your brain, forcing you to justify playihg towards 2% chance tokens, because the feeling of getting that cover you want is just so good. Why do you think token purchases went UP when the chances went DOWN?

That's like if a particular brand's dozen of eggs got replaced with a pack of 4 (identical) eggs for the same price, and sales went up instead of people just buying a competitors (unchanged) carton.

D3 isn't incompetent. They're tinykitty BRILLIANT.

We've all seen the South Park episode about Freemium Games, right?

RIGHT?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAEfeNLKwd0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CbWr0zO7Ac
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    Options
    arktos1971 wrote:
    daibar wrote:
    Did you know that the first MPQ was designed to be a perfect human world where none suffered, where everyone would be happy? It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed that we lacked the programming language to describe your "perfect world". But I believe that, as a species human beings define their reality through misery and suffering. So the perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake from.

Wow, you've read the bible and some philosophy.

Thanks for sharing your intellectual wisdom here.

Sounds more like the inside cover or a shotty Emo album than philsophy to me.
  • I'm ruining the 'joke', but yes, that was a quote, and no, I didn't intend for it to target anyone let alone Arktos.

Part of the point was that no matter how 'perfect' they make the game, we'll always find something to complain about. If they made it so everyone could win, it would be too easy and we'd probably jump ship to another game. There's no way to make everyone happy. For myself it's about the right difficulty now, and I blithely label most of the complainers just 'bad' at MPQ, or spoiled (you know who I'm talking about).

I feel compelled or 'addicted' to playing because I don't always win. When I do win I've generally put in a great effort and subconsciously think "I am awesome." I rage at Juggernaut or Hood or X-Force for hours after losing to them. MPQ carries a lasting sense of victory and defeat. This game makes me want to play it beyond the point I probably should, which is why I'm glad I cut back 6 months ago, but have been slowly getting sucked back in, especially after DDQ.
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    arktos1971 wrote:
    Have seen it, but don't remember that icon_e_smile.gif

https://youtu.be/nb6yOklzHMI
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Kelbris wrote:
    If anyone DOES stop playing, please don't feel it necessary to make a venomous quitting thread. Nobody in a game like this is important enough to feel that they need to tell everyone that they won't be graced by the privileged existence of the King of Tile Swapping.

When you devote hundred of hours to something, some money, some hardships (modify sleep schedule and such) it doesn't matter that it's just a game, there is still this weird feeling when you quit. Some people like to express that, say goodbye to people they had conversations with and do a final analysis of their time playing- some others is more rage quit FU posts. I prefer the 1st type but it's no big deal.

Don't feel it necessary to read them, as long as title is clear is easy enough to ignore them you know? They are much better posts than the "cascade conspiracy" or the "AI cheat " ones.

I didn't make such a post when I stopped a while back but it was weird to stop playing- I came back now that I know what I missed (DPD and some progression reward stuff) - You'll see when your time comes, it's weird to stop something you did so much for so long.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Options
    "Why do you keep playing if you aren't enjoying yourself?"

Because I am enjoying myself.

"Why do you keep complaining if you're enjoying yourself?"

Because I used to enjoy myself more and hope that some day I can enjoy myself that much again.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I stopped enjoying myself other than DDQ, therefore I have stopped playing. Easiest decision in the world made even easier by the release of Bloodborne.

Now that...THAT...is a game. If you own a PS4 and you don't have it yet, do yourself a favour.
  • Kelbris wrote:
    djsquillz wrote:

D3 is incompetent.

marc

Are they, though? Look at all the money they're making.

Freemium games are about psychological influence. The random chance mechanisms prey on the dopamine receptors in your brain, forcing you to justify playihg towards 2% chance tokens, because the feeling of getting that cover you want is just so good. Why do you think token purchases went UP when the chances went DOWN?

That's like if a particular brand's dozen of eggs got replaced with a pack of 4 (identical) eggs for the same price, and sales went up instead of people just buying a competitors (unchanged) carton.

D3 isn't incompetent. They're tinykitty BRILLIANT.

We've all seen the South Park episode about Freemium Games, right?

RIGHT?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAEfeNLKwd0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CbWr0zO7Ac

I had not. Thanks for sharing.

Now I know why I paid so much for this game : because I hate so much to wait !

Simple as that !

Thank you !
  • I stopped playing at the top end of the game recently and haven't regretted it one bit. The addictive powers are strong... hell, I still play a couple of games a day - but I don't really enjoy it.

That said, when I did play competitively it was fun - but now I realise that it wasn't the gameplay that was fun, it was battling for those top 5 positions and season score that gave me the buzz far and above game mechanics.

The frustration really came from PvE far more than PvP.

- Firstly they introduced more time slices than they needed to (2 or 3 would have been fine, let alone 5 and newbie/vet splits) creating the issues we see now around slow filling brackets that give you no chance to place well if you join them late.

- Then they started doing 12 hour subs, making the finish time choice a joke because you need to account for AM and PM finish times which are rarely (if ever) both convenient.

- Then they lengthened timers to 8 hours BUT more overlapping subs so at the end of the day you've got shorter subs (so more BIG grinds) and overlaps which mean playing every 4 hours anyway + BIG grinds.

- Then they start doing back to back new character releases so you feel you can't take a break or go easy. Not to mention 'letting your alliance down' if you don't start the event early.

Cumulative effect? Play from the start (or possibly miss out), clear nodes pretty much as often as before, more 'BIG' end of sub grinds, more 'mandatory' PvE's for new characters.

It's 1 step forward, 2 steps back **** like this that make long time players like myself eventually give up. This last weekend I didn't give a toss about Kingpin or season score and enjoyed a nice time with family and friends without the stress of planning my life around shield expiry and node resets. I miss the competition, I miss my alliance mates (well, I still read LINE) but not the game.

Now I read / experience that they're messing matchmaking around again so that long term players have a harder time (only facing strong opponents) and climbing late becomes less viable (so more time spent in each PvP) all in the name of making it easier for newbies to feel as strong as vets so they don't quit out of 'hardness'. Ha! And some people are going along with it...
  • For those who are interested in the REAL psychological mechanics of Freemium games, please watch this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF7aJMXU_W0

I understood why I am a whale in this game. It was not a relief, but helped me understand that D3 are just manipulating us to make money.

OK, they are not "meaner" than Apple, MacDonald's...

They are just doing business in the Freemium universe.
  • I like the core concept of the game, Match3/Puzzle in Marvel Universe. Unfortunately, the levels of frustration I reach from the game are much higher than the levels of joy, while the periods of joy are much longer than periods of frustration.

I feel somewhat obligated to continue playing because of the time and money I've already invested. I do enjoy it, but at the same time hate how much time I feel is necessary to dedicate to it. I find myself picking up my phone to push through the end of an event out of a sense of obligation when I'd really much rather be playing a completely different game.

My biggest gripe is that I must play the game on the game's schedule instead of my own. But I understand it's core to the game's design.

I already had dropped down to a more casual play rate for a month and then came back to my regular higher level of play and hate that I missed out on getting Luke Cage covers early, so now I am even more hesitant decrease play time while at the same time growing more and more frustrated at the feeling of obligation.

TL:DR; I've totally drank the freemium addiction kool-aid and I can't help myself anymore
  • i dunno u should ask tuscan panty raider
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    Wonko33 wrote:
    Kelbris wrote:
    If anyone DOES stop playing, please don't feel it necessary to make a venomous quitting thread. Nobody in a game like this is important enough to feel that they need to tell everyone that they won't be graced by the privileged existence of the King of Tile Swapping.

When you devote hundred of hours to something, some money, some hardships (modify sleep schedule and such) it doesn't matter that it's just a game, there is still this weird feeling when you quit. Some people like to express that, say goodbye to people they had conversations with and do a final analysis of their time playing- some others is more rage quit FU posts. I prefer the 1st type but it's no big deal.

Don't feel it necessary to read them, as long as title is clear is easy enough to ignore them you know? They are much better posts than the "cascade conspiracy" or the "AI cheat " ones.

I didn't make such a post when I stopped a while back but it was weird to stop playing- I came back now that I know what I missed (DPD and some progression reward stuff) -

That's why I made sure to edit "venomous" into my OP. There's a big difference between a post like what mischiefmaker created -- which was a great read -- and some middle aged adult throwing a childlike temper tantrum, screaming about how MPQ won't be receiving any more of their money and how the game is a massive pile of suck that has no idea what they're doing.
    You'll see when your time comes, it's weird to stop something you did so much for so long.

After about 9 months of playing in every single event that i was able to play in, consistently getting top 5 in PVP and top 10 in PvE, and winning literally every character that was released while spending an embarrassing chunk of cash on HP for roster slots and tokens, it took me about a week before I realized how great it was to only play vidya games when I wanted to, and not have to rearrange my sleeping pattern and daily schedule to be able to "beat everyone" as often as i could in a 3-5 day period.

Can't really complain about spending like $400 on a game I got 500+ hours out of.