Guess no one will be fixed/buffed

Punisher5784
Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm sure most of you are noticing that many new characters have the same colors and similar abilities to characters that could use a fix/buff:

Beast --> Grocket
Colossus --> Luke Cage
Invisible Woman --> Professor X
GSBW --> Kamala Khan

Those are off the top of my head, I am sure there is others.

It seems that with the pressure to add new characters that sometimes they simply take ideas for fixing older characters and just applying them to new characters. The last time I recall they remade a character was Daredevil back in December and that was to coincide with Elektra's release (Rags does not count!).

I like when they reintroduce a character with new/improved abilities instead of bringing a new one in but lately they brought back Punisher, GSBW, Ironman40 with no buff and now they are behind the curve with the new cast. I understand they want to sell covers but when a character has been vaulted for months, these are new characters to many players plus if you fix bad skills maybe the vets will buy the cover. Think of Black Panther with a new blue skill or giving people a reason to have more than 2 Ironman40 yellow cover.

Thoughts?

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thoughts?
    Honestly, this is the least of my concerns right now. The whole damn game seems broken now. PvP is f'd because you hit a wall after 3 seed matches, and instead of everyone beating the **** out of each other once you get to 800, so you hop to get to 1000, now everyone's beating the **** out of each other at 300. I have no interest in shield-hopping from 300. And PvE is f'd because peoples' scaling is now based on how they performed using characters and boosts that they no longer have access to. I knew I'd drift away from this game eventually, but I never expected to see them suck all the fun out of it so instantaneously.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Thoughts?
    Honestly, this is the least of my concerns right now. The whole damn game seems broken now. PvP is f'd because you hit a wall after 3 seed matches, and instead of everyone beating the **** out of each other once you get to 800, so you hop to get to 1000, now everyone's beating the **** out of each other at 300. I have no interest in shield-hopping from 300. And PvE is f'd because peoples' scaling is now based on how they performed using characters and boosts that they no longer have access to. I knew I'd drift away from this game eventually, but I never expected to see them suck all the fun out of it so instantaneously.

I haven't tried the new PVP yet but I was hoping it would be 'easier,' doesn't sound like it from your prospective. I agree, there are many areas broken in this game. I am not thrilled about the boosts being reduced to 2 AP, seems pointless to even have them. It seems like every time MPQ takes a step forward, they take 3 steps back.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am mystified by the attitudes here.

But I am also only at 200 days in. Maybe that's the key.

I'm having fun and adapting to the changes. I can see PvP being tougher for players with more developed rosters if the matchmaking is doing its job. All I can say is welcome to how the rest of us have been playing. It's not easy. Doesn't make it bad.
  • simonsez
    jackstar0 wrote:

I'm having fun and adapting to the changes. I can see PvP being tougher for players with more developed rosters if the matchmaking is doing its job. All I can say is welcome to how the rest of us have been playing. It's not easy. Doesn't make it bad.
    You say that as if we were never there. I can't speak for everyone, but my install didn't come preloaded with a maxed roster.
  • jackstar0 wrote:

Jack, u have hit the nail on the head. Those of us that have been here for 527 days also once simply adapted to the changes. It gets old. It gets tiring. I've been here since day one and ive rolled with every change that this game has thrown at me. it just gets old. i hope that when u are 500+ days into this game that u have the same attitude...i know i wish i still did.

easy...marc
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kamala and GSBW don't share all 3 colors.
  • simonsez wrote:
    I have no interest in ... PvE is f'd because peoples' scaling is now based on how they performed using characters and boosts that they no longer have access to.

I agree with this. Limiting boosts in PVP is fine, maybe even a net positive (we'll see). But limiting boosts for PVE just makes the "PVE scaling issue" (as it's sometimes called) even worse. It has increased even further my disengagement from playing PVE.

My PVE attitude evolution went like this:
    being competitive (around the Blade release) to
    casual (after Elektra release and 4* reward tiering ripped apart my alliance) to
    I'll go for max prog but don't give a tiny kitty about the competitive aspect around the 4hor nerf to
    I couldn't care less about PVE I'll play it for some ISO if I feel like it and there is no PVP needing my roster to be healed. with the boosts limited.
  • simonsez wrote:
    Thoughts?

It's like when you give your kid or someone a haircut and you mess up a bit so you keep trying to fix it but the more you try to fix it the more you screw it up...lol.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    For PvE at least I think GSBW is way better than Kamala. PvP wise Kamala is probably better because the AI can auto-pilot her.
  • I'm on the fence on this one, sitting at 500. Gonna see how this plays out. I'm still angry about the 4hor nerf but mostly due to money spent on her.
  • Beast --> Grocket
    Colossus --> Luke Cage
    Invisible Woman --> Professor X

Yes. They need to rework these characters (and Doc Ock) and it should be a higher priority than releasing new characters. IW should be at the top of the list because we would like to enjoy playing her while we're still young. Beast is debatable for the top of the list simply because he's such a great Marvel character (rightfully beloved) and it's so sad to see him in such a state of poverty (I truly feel bad for Beast, he deserves better). Colossus is also important because he is a good character that we need to see in the rotation(!). Doc Ock probably should come first though since in terms of being underpowered, he suffers immensely (But less than pitiful Beast).
  • simonsez wrote:
    You say that as if we were never there. I can't speak for everyone, but my install didn't come preloaded with a maxed roster.

THIS, once you played enough to get a solid 3/4 star roster you expect to hit at least 700 without too much trouble in pvp. N00bs have it easier in pve, now i'm wondering what the hell i keep playing for? DPDQ is the only thing that really keeps me playing now.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:

THIS, once you played enough to get a solid 3/4 star roster you expect to hit at least 700 without too much trouble in pvp. N00bs have it easier in pve, now i'm wondering what the hell i keep playing for? DPDQ is the only thing that really keeps me playing now.
    So much this.

This is the only game that constantly tries to take away my advantage which I SHOULD have after 517 days played, having put in my money during that time.

I understand that new guys need to be given the illusion that they can compete for top tier rewards - they're in for a rude awakening after 30 days and a few top finishes anyway.

But is it really so hard to at least give us maxed roster guys our own reward tiers, if we have to go up against each other right after seed teams? Give me 500 ISO per win, and tokens every 50 points, and we can talk about that new MMR.

But changing matchmaking without touching the reward structure is hard to interpret in any other way than to try to discourage vets from continuing to play.
  • lokiagentofhotness
    lokiagentofhotness Posts: 192 Tile Toppler
    jackstar0 wrote:

I wish you all the best in your transition, and hope you enjoy forever having to beat a wall of rosters similar or tougher than yours once you've done so from 100 points onward.
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    I have im40 yellow at 3 cause it makes green for xforce like every 3rd game or so. Also my heal is only level one.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Thoughts?
    First, there are credible rumors that some of these characters are, indeed, getting fixed. I think we'll see changes mostly to characters that were somehow flawed from the get go, though.

That said, the whole KK vs. gsBW debate made me realize that I don't necessarily want reworks of characters suffering from power creep. I don't think these two characters are actually that similar, but many players wanted gsBW upgraded to KK. No thanks! I like Deceptive Tactics and I'd rather have gsBW get old slowly than have her become someone else overnight. Luke Cage and Colossus are a similar story. They're both tanks, but do their job differently. I wouldn't want them changed. AP cost and damage/AP ratio changes I'll accept gladly, but these characters play particular roles that reworks threaten to disrupt.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    jackstar0 wrote:

You're saying that like people don't have maxed or near-maxed Kingpins already.

Some people do skip the middle-game.

I appreciate that you played the mid-game and handled it. I'm not sure why the challenge of PvP shouldn't always be there though...
  • simonsez
    jackstar0 wrote:
    You're saying that like people don't have maxed or near-maxed Kingpins already.
    You're saying that as if that's a typical gameplay experience the designers ought to address, and not a completely aberrant outlier that can safely be ignored because it won't affect the experience of 99.99% of us.
  • What's really embarrassing is unvaulting IM40, making him featured in both the first PvP of a new season and the PvE for a new character, and then casually dropping this little gem on the forum:
    Will there be a character-update accompanying the start of the season as well?
    If you mean balance changes to characters, no, no changes like that in this batch.
    Really? Then why did you trot his obviously outdated and underpowered **** out into the spotlight? How hard would it be to just adjust the cost of his red and blue to be more in line with the current state of the game? You make broad stroke changes at a whim to major game systems when you feel like it, but you can't be bothered to tweak bad characters with a few numerical adjustments that would take five minutes of coding?

I'll say it again, not every character needs a full redo after six months of "thoughtful" analysis and "careful" planning. 13-23 AP for Unibeam and 20-30 AP for Ballistic Salvo is foolishness. Just take a moment out of your "busy" day and fix him already, or you should have left him in the vault, kept him out of featured rotation, and pretended he didn't exist...pretty much the way everyone else does most of the time.
  • To OP,
    I'm annoyed, with GSBW to KK

I'm not annoyed at any other. Luke Cage doesn't seem like a 'fixed' Colossus to me. They play differently, the common denominator is - they are tanks. Where LK does better damage himself, Colossus shines with his fastball special.

I SERISOULY want there to be an eye put towards adjusting old characters for power creep. It sucks to have a page of lvl 166 characters that you never use unless boosted, not because they aren't the fotm, but because they are sub-par 166 due to age (like Punisher). And what's more annoying about it is those characters like punisher - only need number adjustments. I don't feel like GSBW needs real power changes. I just want her a tiny bit more durable such that there is a CHANCE that I can get off her green attack - or her green attack is ready sooner for a chance to get it off. I mean she's really 3* Thor with 2/5 of his health, and her 'yellow' doesn't do upfront damage, while her green has some board shake-up. I'm not asking for Thor health, just an update to either survivability or expedite her ability to do dmg. Punisher is the same, his powers are FINE, just give him more health and increase his strike tile dmg.

But we are stuck waiting for them to get around to it as the pump out more and more characters that make the older ones more and more useless.
    - Unreall