Easy solution to voice your disagreement with D3

Stop

giving

them

money.

The company doesn't care about random forum posts, but they do care about their bottom line. You can complain as much as you want, if you keep buying virtual goods from them nothing will change.

Use the TaT event to casually get the green Khamala cover, ignore the 4* Kingpin and if you do manage to get a cover, don't buy additional covers for him. That's how I'll do it, because I can't be bothered grinding for a 4* who will be useless for about a year unless I invest some serious cash.

That's the only way they will notice something is wrong.

Comments

• lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    So we play a game we like. We've stuck with it thru a bunch of changes. We've had a lot of fun over time. When things were good, people spent $, and some a lot of it. Now that things are bad, we should just forget about all the time and money and fun we've had in the past, and just give up completely?

It's like raising a kid, and then it turns out to be a brat, regardless of what you've done, the money you've spent, the time you've spent raising it. Can you just dump it to let it know how you feel?

Analogy is kind of a stretch, but I stand by it.
  • I think it's been over a year now since I put money into the game, but that's less because I'm trying to make a point (though that's part of it) and more because there's not really anything worth buying. If cover packs paid out consistently I might consider putting money into it. If 4* covers didn't cost $20 each I might put money into it. But there's nothing I can get from putting money into the game that is remotely worth that amount of money.

Here's an idea, devs, if you want people to spend money:
    2* Covers cost 100 HP
    3* Covers cost 500 HP
    4* Covers cost 1000 HP
    All packs guarantee a specific gold character again

Suddenly, that doesn't look like such a bad deal.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    The "stop giving them money" idea would make sense except I'm pretty sure the reason we're seeing another new character right away is because they want us all to buy another roster spot. And since your idea didn't include "ignore Kingpin completely and don't buy a roster spot for him", we're still doing exactly what they want, despite how angry we all are.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree with Ben. At a certain point, a lot of the stuff you can buy with $, gets more expensive over time. My 60th roster slot will be 750 HP, that's more than $5, if I only bought an Agency Expenses. If I bought a Logan's Loonies, it would break down to $5. I don't think the 60th roster slot is any different than the 30th, that wasn't $5. It's the same thing, why should it cost more? Because I've played the game, and earned characters, I should pay more to continue doing the same thing?

I came from playing The Simpsons Tapped Out and Candy Crush. In Candy Crush, I was always on the last episode, and it was around 500 something when I quit. I spent money there, because a $1 here and there, is a lot easier to justify. Of course, I justified it a lot, and it added up over time, but looking back at it, it was worth it every time. I couldn't justify doing the same here, because my money would be worth less, the longer I play the game, even though it's the same amount now, that it was before.

One 3* cover would be under $10, buying Logan's Loonies. That is defintely not worth it. And a 4* cover would be a shade under $20. Those purchases, I couldn't justify.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    lukewin wrote:
    So we play a game we like. We've stuck with it thru a bunch of changes. We've had a lot of fun over time. When things were good, people spent $, and some a lot of it. Now that things are bad, we should just forget about all the time and money and fun we've had in the past, and just give up completely?

It's like raising a kid, and then it turns out to be a brat, regardless of what you've done, the money you've spent, the time you've spent raising it. Can you just dump it to let it know how you feel?

Analogy is kind of a stretch, but I stand by it.

I'm going to copy this post, go to Wikipedia, and replace whatever they have written under "Sunk Cost Fallacy."
  • yeah it is easy for someone who hasn't put too much money into the game to say, well just stop. For those who have put in the time effort and money to have a nearly perfect roster these people are committed and as you mention are the definition of sunk cost fallacy. Asking them to just take it easy and let this one go is not going to be received well even if it is good advice.
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    I finally get it. The developers are tired of working on this game and want to do something else. They feel like they can't make anyone happy with the balance, and want to move on. So they are going to flood us with 6 months worth of future plans over the next two months hoping to kill off a large part of the player base.

Clearly the lifecycle of this game has gone on too long for them, and they need to speed up the downward trend until the chord is pulled.

After easily the least competitive PvE charecter release I've ever played in they decide to drop a nifty new 4* on a week long grind over a huge holiday that's pretty much world wide, and all this within the same month as the last 4* release.

It's a brilliant plan already. I've seen many vets and whales say they were going to tone it down this season before this announcement, and now that amount has grown and to a lot of people this is a straight up joke.

I'll do a late join and roll the dice on a cover and if I'm playing 6 months from now I may have 3 covers by then.

Also, this brings up next season's alliance reward. We have yet to have a chance for a PX cover, and PX actually kept me interested in chacing the carrot, so if there's no PX season reward, I'll have nothing to look forward to.

They just keep nudging us towards the edge of the cliff....
  • I have a better idea, just write a proper review on steam or google play store, with a reason the way you feel you do. But don't just put a short review, cause those will most likely be ignored, state simply how you feel and your reasoning behind how you feel. That way people can actually see your logic and not assume you are just some angry little kid throwing a tantrum. If D3 is smart it'll take a good look at that feedback and think of a strategy that doesn't upset most of their revenue source, but given their past history, I have my serious doubts about that one

People do read those reviews and they do act on them. Not everyone but some. The moment you stop or inflow D3's influx of new players, they're going to have to realise very soon, they need to do something about costumer retention. Costumer retention isn't an issue huge issue for a lot of companies if they can keep bring in new consumers, only really good companies or those in serious trouble worry about costumer retention.

Many years ago when I worked for home delivery company and a picker packer, I was told "always pick items as if they are for yourself, because if the customer has a bad experience with us, they tell their friends and their friends tell their friends, as a result we don't just lose one future costumer, we lose several potential new costumers".

The thing is the mobile game market is very competitive these days, and what MPQ has going for it is it's marvel name, thus they will always get new players because of its association with marvel, thus they always have a stream of new players/customers until the next big thing on the mobile game market hits. what does hurt the mobile games industry is a fair few players are familiar with money grab games thanks in part to Electronic Arts and their Facebook app games, which they have closed down a lot of them after a year or so.

As I quoted elsewhere before you don't fool your costumers twice and most wisen up to how free to play mobile games work.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    I have a better idea, just write a proper review on steam or google play store, with a reason the way you feel you do. But don't just put a short review, cause those will most likely be ignored, state simply how you feel and your reasoning behind how you feel. That way people can actually see your logic and not assume you are just some angry little kid throwing a tantrum. If D3 is smart it'll take a good look at that feedback and think of a strategy that doesn't upset most of their revenue source, but given their past history, I have my serious doubts about that one

People do read those reviews and they do act on them. Not everyone but some. The moment you stop or inflow D3's influx of new players, they're going to have to realise very soon, they need to do something about costumer retention. Costumer retention isn't an issue huge issue for a lot of companies if they can keep bring in new consumers, only really good companies or those in serious trouble worry about costumer retention.

Many years ago when I worked for home delivery company and a picker packer, I was told "always pick items as if they are for yourself, because if the customer has a bad experience with us, they tell their friends and their friends tell their friends, as a result we don't just lose one future costumer, we lose several potential new costumers".

The thing is the mobile game market is very competitive these days, and what MPQ has going for it is it's marvel name, thus they will always get new players because of its association with marvel, thus they always have a stream of new players/customers until the next big thing on the mobile game market hits. what does hurt the mobile games industry is a fair few players are familiar with money grab games thanks in part to Electronic Arts and their Facebook app games, which they have closed down a lot of them after a year or so.

As I quoted elsewhere before you don't fool your costumers twice and most wisen up to how free to play mobile games work.
    Not sure I feel salty enough to try hurting Demiurge's financials beyond not spending money.
  • rednailz
    Trisul wrote:
    I have a better idea, just write a proper review on steam or google play store, with a reason the way you feel you do. But don't just put a short review, cause those will most likely be ignored, state simply how you feel and your reasoning behind how you feel. That way people can actually see your logic and not assume you are just some angry little kid throwing a tantrum. If D3 is smart it'll take a good look at that feedback and think of a strategy that doesn't upset most of their revenue source, but given their past history, I have my serious doubts about that one

Not sure I feel salty enough to try hurting Demiurge's financials beyond not spending money.

I'd have to disagree, as long as it's an honest review and not attacking, that's what reviews are for. I give reviews of resteraunts and other things, and actually get responces from them sometimes. I am happy to keep people from wasting money on a bad product. Not vengeful, but more like looking out for potential customers
  • d0nk3y
    d0nk3y Posts: 213
    yeah it is easy for someone who hasn't put too much money into the game to say, well just stop. For those who have put in the time effort and money to have a nearly perfect roster these people are committed and as you mention are the definition of sunk cost fallacy. Asking them to just take it easy and let this one go is not going to be received well even if it is good advice.

This is exactly my situation. 400+ days invested, a little over $200 invested, a game that I (mostly) enjoy and people I enjoy playing with. It's really hard to just throw the game in the trash and walk away from it.

The problem is that D3P won't change anything they're doing (overpowered launches, over-reaching nerfs, ridiculous character drop schedules) until their performance metrics take a hit. Let's look at it this way:

If the app has had 2,000,000 downloads to date and 10% of those are daily players, that's 200,000 players.
    There are 15601 registered board members. If 10% of those are active (meaning daily posters), that's 1560 users (max ever online simultaneously is 552).
    These 1560 users are approximately .0078% of active game user base.

While we, as forum users, have a more direct line of feedback to the personnel at D3P, it would take a massive organized protest stretching far beyond our reach to even begin to impact the game's performance numbers. You're talking the difference between customer-facing personnel who can read, empathize with and escalate our issues and upper management, who has the primary concern that the game is making money and meeting defined timelines. I work for an MSO, and our customers have the power of Federal agencies like the FCC to exert pressure on us to resolve issues (even if they're ones of perception) - the players of this game have no such leverage to exert.

Ideally, I'd love to hear a commitment from D3P personnel to meet with their power users and really attempt to understand and address the concerns that we all have, but I don't have any confidence that will actually happen. Until D3P management commits to move the game towards an experience instead of a guaranteed income model, I have a feeling we will maintain the status quo and will simply have to come to our own individual methods for dealing with it.
  • Azoic
    Azoic Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I think it's been over a year now since I put money into the game, but that's less because I'm trying to make a point (though that's part of it) and more because there's not really anything worth buying. If cover packs paid out consistently I might consider putting money into it. If 4* covers didn't cost $20 each I might put money into it. But there's nothing I can get from putting money into the game that is remotely worth that amount of money.

Here's an idea, devs, if you want people to spend money:
    2* Covers cost 100 HP
    3* Covers cost 500 HP
    4* Covers cost 1000 HP
    All packs guarantee a specific gold character again

Suddenly, that doesn't look like such a bad deal.

+1

Though I think the packs need to have more than one gold to get people to buy them. They really should have the free one with some increases rates (like 30% gold) and if you are willing to shell out $20-60 like they cost now, then the purchased ones should be 100% gold. They would still be random covers, so vets might be mainly buying the specific event packs, but new players wouldn't be told NOT to EVER buy packs.
  • rednailz wrote:
    I finally get it. The developers are tired of working on this game and want to do something else. They feel like they can't make anyone happy with the balance, and want to move on. So they are going to flood us with 6 months worth of future plans over the next two months hoping to kill off a large part of the player base.

This line of thinking is insane, wouldn't killing their own game ruin their future in the industry? Just because you don't like a new charachter coming out doesn't mean they are actively trying to destroy the game, they aren't "grabbing for cash and shuttering the doors."
  • yeah it is easy for someone who hasn't put too much money into the game to say, well just stop. For those who have put in the time effort and money to have a nearly perfect roster these people are committed and as you mention are the definition of sunk cost fallacy. Asking them to just take it easy and let this one go is not going to be received well even if it is good advice.

So you put another $1k into the game a year from now.....then what.......at some point the house of cards will fall and you will be left with nothing but an erratic sleep schedule. MPQ gonna MPQ. It is what it is.

I've probably put $500+ into this game and am at the point now where it's meh...pve sucks, chars get nerfed, constant new chars, not enough iso ever, still fun because of alliance but game itself pretty boring. I will never go back to PVE, I don't have ISo for new chars anyways, so I don't really care about more roster spots. You all will get to this point, it's only a matter of how long you fight the urge to keep supporting this product.
  • rednailz
    taloncarde wrote:
    rednailz wrote:

This line of thinking is insane, wouldn't killing their own game ruin their future in the industry? Just because you don't like a new charachter coming out doesn't mean they are actively trying to destroy the game, they aren't "grabbing for cash and shuttering the doors."

Not really, games have shelf lifes and with a few exceptions a phone game doesn't have that long of a shelf life, and chances are the life cycle of the product is based around revenue intake, not how long the game was active for.

also, you may need to google "sarcasm"

1 thing however is for certain, they are killing off a significant % of the top end player base. If they aren't actively trying to weed out the player base then they realy really have no clue what they are doing.
  • I think before they started down this dark path, while the skies were still just a brooding gray, i was going to start a post about how much they don't seem to listen us and to maybe get their attention try to get as many people as we can to buy some imcoin.png at a specific time and date and then they look at their data and say, "what the heck was that about?" and maybe they come to the forums and we say surprise it is us, please listen to us. but now that we are aboard the pain train going who knows where. i don't feel like giving them anything. while i won't active hasten their demise, I am more weary and hesitant to throw them some ropes. there are tons of good suggestions here that rot and fester, never to get to see the light of day. Their changes to make the game more fun seem to be the ones i hate the most.

not feeling to happy about this game at the monent
  • rednailz
    I think before they started down this dark path, while the skies were still just a brooding gray, i was going to start a post about how much they don't seem to listen us and to maybe get their attention try to get as many people as we can to buy some imcoin.png at a specific time and date and then they look at their data and say, "what the heck was that about?" and maybe they come to the forums and we say surprise it is us, please listen to us. but now that we are aboard the pain train going who knows where. i don't feel like giving them anything. while i won't active hasten their demise, I am more weary and hesitant to throw them some ropes. there are tons of good suggestions here that rot and fester, never to get to see the light of day. Their changes to make the game more fun seem to be the ones i hate the most.

not feeling to happy about this game at the monent

I'm feeling happy about dropping the game for the weekend, and cutting back for good, and spending more of my video game time on actual video games having fun. Story, charecter development, loot, playing at y own pace, progression, leveling up.....all the things I've been missing becuase I've been matching my way towards a moving carrot for over a year.
  • Have you ever seen a movie based on something and felt like the people that made messed it up so bad? like DBZ live action movie bad? that is MPQ for you. but there is hope. (also for live action DBZ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opji5DgE_nQ)
  • rednailz wrote:
    I'm feeling happy about dropping the game for the weekend, and cutting back for good, and spending more of my video game time on actual video games having fun. Story, charecter development, loot, playing at y own pace, progression, leveling up.....all the things I've been missing becuase I've been matching my way towards a moving carrot for over a year.

that playing at your own pace thing, I miss that.
  • Vankysher
    Vankysher Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    rednailz wrote:

that playing at your own pace thing, I miss that.
    Try it - I think you'll like it. icon_e_wink.gif