POLL: Balance of Power

tanis3303
tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm curious. I want to know everyone's thoughts on the Balance of Power PvP...personally, I think this is hands down my least favorite thing in MPQ, period. I HATE it. I'm wondering whether I'm in the minority or the majority with that opinion, and if it turns out to be the latter, maybe we can get them to...you know...STOP running this tinykitty. icon_mrgreen.gif
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Its kind of a Juggs/OBW/Ares show if I can remember, and a test of who has the roster slots to build multiple copies from the tokens that were horded.

Id bet that the people who like it are newer players who enjoy their limited 1* and 2* rosters getting boosted to out punch developed ones. Not saying they shouldnt get that every so often, but there is little fun about it for the rest of us.
  • I liked it the first time they ran it, but that was, in part, because we had a several-month-long run where every single PVP was featured+2, and they had gotten ultra-boring.

This one is not my favorite of the between-seasons ones, and it's probably 90% because of Juggernaut and a few others who over-scale. It may be my least favorite of them. So I'm probably not going to try too hard.

I'd mind it less if they ran it less often, but I think they need to vary up the PVPs more - do more themed boosts (they've done Avengers, X-Men, Villains, Women, and Gods, but there are more themes they could do) and more gimmicky ones.

PVP in this game is, by and large, dull. And now that I'm hitting that point where there's not much I need besides a few specific covers, I'm going to be less engaged in the events I don't need anything from, like this one.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Was novel the first couple times they ran it. Now it's just a good excuse to take a break from playing between seasons.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    I love it.
  • Went with the middle option since I enjoy it much more when it's like this one is. Off season and featuring rewards I don't need. I'll play around a bit, try out weird and silly teams that wouldn't work anywhere else, and generally get my MMR lowered like crazy by getting beaten up by a bunch of lower MMR players who come out of nowhere to play this one.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    I find it to be silly fun. Rewards are not super-compelling and the new folks get to see if they can puzzle at the high end with Juggs/OBW whomever, or experiment with other options for.. you know... the fun of it.

It's a nice chance to relax during a PVP event, and that's a good thing.
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    I love the idea, and then I play more than 3 rounds of it and am like "is that mid to low level 4* cover worth it?" and the answer is always, no. No I do not want to fight a boosted juggs 300 times to get the cover.

I love the feel and idea behind the mixing it up pvps, but I find BOP the most annoying one. I agree there needs to be more. There could be a Defenders one, a or how about an oulaws one? (punisher, DP, maybe cage, maybe patch and the GoG?). Or ones around an event like polar vortex is a great idea, I was happy to see it. Just too bad the boosted charecters happned to be pretty terrible.

I'd like to see a gunatlet style PvP, something like a danger room survival that keeps getting harder and has progression rewards based on how far you get.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's a variant on the same theme...using characters that don't ordinarily get PvP use.

I bet there's a high correlation between people who don't like Balance of Power and those who don't like the buffed character PvPs.
  • I think I love this event because I am way too iso starved.

I have tons of fully covered characters that are level 40-100 they aren't "good" enough to warrant the hundreds of thousands of iso it would take to level them up so they sit on the bench, literally useless at their low level. BoP lets them come out and fight on even ground with everyone else. Some of them still get murdered but some of them earn me some points, and if they die who cares, I can pick someone else. and as long as I end with a respectable defense team then it was great fun with little consequence.

If my goal was to hit 1k and top 5 for needed covers then yes everyone is a competitor in this one and it would be much harder. If my goal is beat a stupid boosted ares with OBW, MnMags, and Mohawk storm, then I can.
  • Much like PvE, this event would be a LOT better if the scaling of Headbutt damage over level 40 was toned way, way down. Even overscaled Ares wouldn't be THAT dominating and you'd actually see some team variety.
  • It's a variant on the same theme...using characters that don't ordinarily get PvP use.

It doesn't though, really. Regular pvps people use the good 4*, 3* or 2* characters, depending on who they have, while with balance of power people will use the exact same characters plus juggs.

Different people might use different characters within that set, but now even ok characters like psylocke and punisher aren't going to be used, not to mention the chars. that never get play like bagman and IW.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Loving it so far, got to play some some toons that i have never used before.. not sure why, but Beast is THE MAN in the pvp
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Personally I like this event and I wish they ran it more often between season. Yes, you do have to fight a bajillion Juggs teams at higher scores, but is it really that different from fighting a bajillion X-force teams on normal PvP? At least you get to fight more varied teams on Balance of Power.
  • I think these themed event should have a ban list based on what happened the last time it's ran so that it's not exactly the same each time.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I liked this event when I was a 2*, it's one I could pretty easily get a T50 in.

Every time I play it I like it less. Ares/Jugg all day, bleh. This event has less variety at the top than normal PVP's.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    This year's version of BoP is different than last year's. Last year, 4* were not available. This year, I guess D3 decided the more characters available the better for variety and fun balance! icon_lol.gif Also, no more prorating of character levels; everyone is strictly at 270, even your level 1 one star, one cover character. Glad I can toss a few mbws into the ring now. icon_cool.gif
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,364 Chairperson of the Boards
    At least its OUT OF SEASON and dont really effect much.
  • I think they adjusted stat scaling for overleveled characters at some point since the last one as well. So the boosted 1-2*s are only on par with a 270 instead of highly superior to.
  • You are thinking match damage. 270 Ares still kicks the pants off of any 4* out there. And 270 Juggernaunt? Eesh. 11k headbutts are no joke.

I like the format in that it gives 2* players a very good chance at winning 2-3 3* covers for one event. I don't love that that means I will be getting my butt kicked all day, but what can you do?
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    As long as I don't really need/want the rewards, I don't mind it, it's kind fun to testdrive it, but I wouldn't really want to play it competitively.