ISO-8 Brotherhood PVE Didn't Suck (Not April Fools)

thbrown81
thbrown81 Posts: 61 Match Maker
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I have to remind myself that if I'm going to complain about things, then I should provide positive feedback when I like things.

So, that ISO-8 Brotherhood PVE was great. I actually enjoyed it more than PVP, which is partly an indictment on the sad state of PVP. Also, I"m surely biased since I drew an easy bracket where I coasted to a first place finish with only 91K points.

But, here's what was great about the PVE:

1) Fun characters that play well together. Super boosted Blade is amazing. And goes along great with the power of THE RIGHTEOUS UPPERCUT! I ended up running a bunch of different lineups, and was able to preserve some of my heavy hitters for PVP.
2) Reasonable amount of nodes. 10 nodes to clear every 8 hours, plus two extras that are cleared once. And the one sub only at the midway point is well timed. This didn't feel like a full time job.
3) Lots of cover packs!

Anyway, if you're going to roll out new characters, this is the way to do it. My favorite PVE is EOTS, but this one is a close second. It's like the tinykitty mothertinykitty tinykittying Hunt. Only exactly the opposite.

Comments

• SymmeTrey
    SymmeTrey Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    I like the event. Nice boosted characters, reasonable nodes, lots of ISO and rewards. But, the every 12-hour sub grind down for those gunning for T10 gets pretty grueling by the end.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    While I hate the event (okay, I dislike most PVE) and the sub timing was horrible I will definitely give them props for the boosted choices. It feels almost like they thought about the synergy between them.

Could just be that I like Blade and Patch though.
  • Sub timing is still awful, and there still isn't a single decent time slice for people with jobs in the Eastern half of the US. Incredibly grindy. Not as bad as a heroic or Prodigal Sun, but still the kind of event that just completely burned me out. Ate up nearly all my free time since Monday, and, as is par for the course for this game, pretty much openly hostile to people with jobs.
  • d0nk3y
    d0nk3y Posts: 213
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Sub timing is still awful, and there still isn't a single decent time slice for people with jobs in the Eastern half of the US. Incredibly grindy. Not as bad as a heroic or Prodigal Sun, but still the kind of event that just completely burned me out. Ate up nearly all my free time since Monday, and, as is par for the course for this game, pretty much openly hostile to people with jobs.

Not that great for people towards the West coast of the US either. My slice time ends were either after bedtime (midnight), while I'm trying to put the kids to bed (9pm), while I'm driving home from work... and the corresponding 12-hour equivalents before or during work. At least 24 or 36 hour subs don't penalize having a life and responsibilities outside of the game.
  • d0nk3y wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Sub timing is still awful, and there still isn't a single decent time slice for people with jobs in the Eastern half of the US. Incredibly grindy. Not as bad as a heroic or Prodigal Sun, but still the kind of event that just completely burned me out. Ate up nearly all my free time since Monday, and, as is par for the course for this game, pretty much openly hostile to people with jobs.

Not that great for people towards the West coast of the US either. My slice time ends were either after bedtime (midnight), while I'm trying to put the kids to bed (9pm), while I'm driving home from work... and the corresponding 12-hour equivalents before or during work. At least 24 or 36 hour subs don't penalize having a life and responsibilities outside of the game.

A 9pm one would be perfect for me, especially with 24 hour subs. My choices are 9 am, noon, 6 pm, midnight, 3 am. They're all awful, for different reasons.
  • Vankysher
    Vankysher Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    thbrown81 wrote:
    I have to remind myself that if I'm going to complain about things, then I should provide positive feedback when I like things.

So, that ISO-8 Brotherhood PVE was great. I actually enjoyed it more than PVP, which is partly an indictment on the sad state of PVP. Also, I"m surely biased since I drew an easy bracket where I coasted to a first place finish with only 91K points.

But, here's what was great about the PVE:

1) Fun characters that play well together. Super boosted SparklyVampKiller is amazing. And goes along great with the power of THE RIGHTEOUS UPPERCUT! I ended up running a bunch of different lineups, and was able to preserve some of my heavy hitters for PVP.
    2) Reasonable amount of nodes. 10 nodes to clear every 8 hours, plus two extras that are cleared once. And the one sub only at the midway point is well timed. This didn't feel like a full time job.
    3) Lots of cover packs!

Anyway, if you're going to roll out new characters, this is the way to do it. My favorite PVE is EOTS, but this one is a close second. It's like the tinykitty mothertinykitty tinykittying Hunt. Only exactly the opposite.
    I agree with these 3 points though my main team has been SparklyVampKiller/OBW/Patch which has been somewhat fun to play.
    Playing only to support my alliance since I've pretty much lost a lot of interest in this game.
    Opening the cover packs I do get only reinforces the absolute tedium of seeing yet another 2* cover or the brief excitement of a gold token only to find it's a power I already have maxed though that has only happened twice during this event.
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    I like this pve a lot more than most of the pve they have in the cycle - the nodes never get over-scaled as the subs are only 12 hours long, and whilst I dislike the 8 am/8 pm my time for the first set, running it for 24 hours would kill me over a 9 day pve grind-a-thon. The characters they picked to buff also worked nicely, loved using Blade-Patch and in my case Daken as third for strike-tile chaos. Good event to me, good work D3.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like Blade a lot - he's a ton of fun to play even if he can be frustrating some times (Nooooo! Stop matching red, Bullseye and Venom. YOU DON'T EVEN USE RED!) I'm using either Blade/Luke/Falcon or Blade/Thor(2*)/Falcon against the goon nodes. A lot of fun. Against the harder nodes I'm doing Blade/Patch/Hood or possibly Luke. Sometimes I put in X-Force if I need a fast takedown. I agree with those who like the boosted characters - they work great.

I don't like the 12 hour subs - they're very grindy. Because I didn't want to miss any subs and I came in to the party late, I chose the last slice which ends at 3am for me. This means I get two subs a day that I can play to. I could have done a little better (the first slice at 9am would have been fine,) but they all suck to a degree. 12 hour subs means that it's almost impossible to find a good time for both the am and pm sub end time.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh, I thought that people were actually writing "SparklyVampKiller" for icon_blade.png!

This is pretty hilarious, if a bit hard sometimes to tell who people are talking about. April fools, eh?
  • thbrown81 wrote:

Disagree. At least for top 10. 12h subs basically means you play for huge 4 hour blocks every 12h. Final grind, plus initial clear of next sub, 8h later begin again. 12h subs SUCK..... and make 8h refreshes pointless to making PvE less grindy.

What the hell ever happened to top 20 for 3 cover rewards anyway?
  • Vankysher
    Vankysher Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    GrimSkald wrote:
    Oh, I thought that people were actually writing "SparklyVampKiller" for :SparklyVampKiller:!

This is pretty hilarious, if a bit hard sometimes to tell who people are talking about. April fools, eh?
    I went ahead and wrote SparklyVampKiller.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    d0nk3y wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:

A 9pm one would be perfect for me, especially with 24 hour subs. My choices are 9 am, noon, 6 pm, midnight, 3 am. They're all awful, for different reasons.

Ditto
  • 12h subs are just puzzling to me. Will this hour of the day be convenient to you? then surely the same hour in the middle of the night will be equally convenient.

I mean is this **** not obvious? Wouldn't you come to the conclusion that subs need to be multiples of 24h in like five minutes?
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Loving the 12 hour subs, way more chances at gold tokens. My alliance is new and does not rank over 2000 in anything, so all those reg tokens have helped ALOT in iso harvesting. Almost to 100k iso stashed for my 3* conversion i am working on, mostly thanks to this event. Good Job on it!
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lerysh wrote:
    thbrown81 wrote:
    Disagree. At least for top 10. 12h subs basically means you play for huge 4 hour blocks every 12h. Final grind, plus initial clear of next sub, 8h later begin again. 12h subs SUCK..... and make 8h refreshes pointless to making PvE less grindy.

What the hell ever happened to top 20 for 3 cover rewards anyway?

I agree with Lerysh here and I was only playing for top 150. At every sub end/start you basically have 23 nodes to clear, and if it was the overnight sub, you have 30 plus nodes to clear in the morning because you may not have woken up at 4am to clear - that is **** (not **** but it sux). Add an additional afternoon clear of 10 nodes and you are talking about 40+ nodes a day just for the pve event - that is not fun, its work when you add on top of it PVP, DDQ, and occasional LRs. For me the game becomes too life consuming during this event - may adjust playing strategy next time it comes around. Wish all events were more laid back - think Gauntlet or DDQ. I do appreciate the extra tokens - got several *** pulls but at this point I may take it easy on the next pve.
  • FWIW, I was in the same bracket as Ben Grimm (hello way up there!)

I did the essential nodes once at start, 3 times at end, and one run each sub to get the ISO prize

Came in 35 / 1000, with maybe a total of an hour, hour 15 each day, and got two covers.

Note, I was only targeting two covers - I would lose job / wife / cat trying to get top 10
  • I missed a sub ending last night, so finished 61 this morning. Oh well, i'll take my yellow. I do agree the event overall it fun. Its just the trying to get more than one cover part that makes it suck badly.
  • gmp72
    gmp72 Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    Only got 2 stars from EVERY cover pack in this event.
    Over 30 opened?

Must be some kind of record ....
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    gmp72 wrote:
    Only got 2 stars from EVERY cover pack in this event.
    Over 30 opened?

Must be some kind of record ....

Not even close. I think my streak hit 62 a few seasons ago.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,364 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vinny J wrote:
    FWIW, I was in the same bracket as Ben Grimm (hello way up there!)

I did the essential nodes once at start, 3 times at end, and one run each sub to get the ISO prize

Came in 35 / 1000, with maybe a total of an hour, hour 15 each day, and got two covers.

Note, I was only targeting two covers - I would lose job / wife / cat trying to get top 10

must been in a very very easy bracket