Fan Character designs/fixes by Raisinbman(Various)

Options
Hello, here are my proposed fan character designs/fixes. I cover only characters already in the game because characters that aren't in very rarely match what we expect them to do:

Captain America icon_captainamerica.png : yellowflag.png(Passive) Steve rushes to protect his allies in combat, springing to action when his opponents use an ability. His shield acts as a buffer for the damage, causing it to do X less damage(or stopping it completely, depending on coverage) and directing the damage to Captain America. If Captain America is K.O.'ed, he leaves behind his shield(a Luke Cage-esque/really strong protect.png).

Beast icon_beast.png : Give him Punisher/Rocket & Groot's countdown

Colossus icon_colossus_new.png : I'm not sure why D3 released him as is. I think his yellowflag.png should either NULLIFY strike tiles completely and/or make it so that he can't die(he'll stay at 1 HP) while that countdown tile is out. It'd give him the edge he needs for his yellowflag.png not to be completely laughable. His blackflag.png is okay but ofc Surgical strike is better. I think if they made it cheaper in exchange for upping the self damage that'd be reasonable.

Psylocke icon_psylocke.png : Take Luke Cage's blackflag.png and apply it to Psylocke's redflag.png. Change her blue. Make her playable.

Daredevil icon_daredevil.png : We've seen good trap tiles in the form of Fury's demolition, Doom, and Caltrops(from one of the Ninjas), so the problem isn't that the designers don't know how to make a trap, its that they won't give Daredevil a GOOD one. I say give him a trip-wire trap that covers a whole row of the board. May possibly pair well with Cyclops.

Gamora icon_gamora.png : I don't see it. Some folks says she has higher HP and if she's in front her blackflag.png can hurt. Problem is, there's no way to hide other characters/make her go in front(Well, until Xavier showed up). Even still, it seems like they were afraid of making another Patch or Juggernaut in that her abilities are really lackluster. And the thing is, if I wanted to pop out strike tiles for cheap, I'm not using Gamora - I'm using Daken/Patch/Etc. People also said she's good when she's powered up. But the thing is, even Bag-Man could be good if he was powered up enough. D3 seems to be afraid/unable to make big cost greenflag.pngs that don't suck compared to Call the Storm. And her redflag.png...I don't understand? At all.

Spiderman icon_spiderman.png : Replace his Yellow with Web-Swing(might necessitate changing his yellowflag.png to greenflag.png). Web-Swing: Spider-Man zips across the battlefield, ruining the enemy's plans. Spider-Man neutralizes ( enemyprotect.pngenemystrike.pngeattack.pngecountdown.png ) and creates/consumes a web.png. If he creates a web tile, it ends there. If he consumes web tiles, he'd "continue" zipping around the battlefield. Spidey's web-slinging destroys tiles FROM ( web.png or special tile) to enemyprotect.pngenemystrike.pngeattack.pngecountdown.png dealing dmg for each. Player can choose it or it can just be random. If necessary, this can consume web tiles as a "cost". Giving Spidey lots of damage here would make him much like revamped Hood, or if you wanted to keep him as a "support", tone the damage down and make it low cost/purely utility.

She-Hulk icon_shehulk.png : She-Hulk needs a complete rework, but let's do this anyway: Reprieve changed to War-Cry: She-Hulk charges into battle with an unnerving scream, stunning her enem(ies) and disrupting their movements. To keep with the spirit of the move, she could either PREVENT enemies from generating AP/setting off countdown tiles/using abilities/attack tiles going off or cause the enemy to "waste/overuse" AP(takes double AP if they use the move? They can't use the move for a couple turns?)

2*BW icon_blackwidow.png : Her heal isn't actually that bad, but if they change it, I'd combine Widow's Sting with her blueflag.png .

Ragnarok icon_ragnarok.png : I've said this earlier but D3 seems to have serious trouble designing big-cost greenflag.pngs, maybe they're afraid of another World Rupture? All they did was make it easier to fight him in PVE.

greenflag.png - D3 seems to have trouble making big-cost greens that can actually stand toe to toe with Thor or Old-Sentry(Insert obligatory X-Force reference here), and instead we get big-cost greens like Doc Ock's and new Rag's. I think the icing on the cake for me with this move was when Rag killed himself with it(sometimes, his allies). It its current form, it costs too much, does too little, and is literally suicidal(in both cost and use). This skill is either overcosted or not powerful enough.

Compared to the Old Green - What the old green really was a roulette spin - it could lead to something, but more often than not it didn't. It seems like Old Rag was supposed to be some sort of...3*Juggernaut. THe old green was definitely much more useful.

My suggestion: Reading the description of the old and new powers, I do think there's a way to fix it quite easily -

Godlike Power: 8-10AP
Ragnarok exhibits his godlike power, destroying the entire board(at 5 covers). (If this is high damage) This also harms his allies for half of what it harms his enemies.

The team damage part is only necessary if it's a big damage move. Otherwise, no team damage. If D3 wants the no-fun version of this, they can just keep special tiles while the rest of the board dies.

redflag.png Red wasn't really changed, so I won't discuss it too much. It could probably have used a damage buff. This move, however, does ironically does give him more synergy with another 'changed' hero, 2*Mag.

blueflag.png I'm not really sure what the devs were thinking here. It isn't a true heal, maybe they were scared of creating 3-star-cyborg-little-brother-of-4-star-Thor(in terms of power)? I can't really know what to think of this but I think at LEAST it should be true heal. Maybe shake the board, do something besides fake-heal.

Elektra icon_elektra.png : I see potential in her abilities, but her purpleflag.png is too strict, her blackflag.png either needs to be passive or or something, and her redflag.png is interesting but it shouldn't just get "disarmed", there should be some punishment for 'disarming' her - she is a 4* after all. I like her animations, and the flavor of her abilities, but she's just so bad. We've seen working trap tiles(Ninjas, Fury, Doom) so there's no excuse for her to be so ****. Especially when there are other solid 4* options to pursue.

Star-Lord icon_starlord.png : Star-Lord could have his abilities work like Falcon's blueflag.png.

Original discussions: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21521#p274483 viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25304&p=316846#p316846

Comments

• ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    AnIron...Man :AnIron...Man: : I'm not sure why D3 released him as is. I think his yellowflag.png should either NULLIFY strike tiles completely and/or make it so that he can't die(he'll stay at 1 HP) while that countdown tile is out. It'd give him the edge he needs for his yellowflag.png not to be completely laughable. His blackflag.png is okay but ofc Surgical strike is better. I think if they made it cheaper in exchange for upping the self damage that'd be reasonable.

His fastball special should do redflag.png ability dmg when he's solo. Otherwise, it's absolutely worthless. Maybe make sense of the Red. Make it use blacktile.png to tack on additional damage, maybe.

His yellowflag.png isn't the problem. It shouldn't make him immortal. I think they just didn't have a way to make him an ACTUAL meat shield without making it an ability. I think they built him correctly, vs Cage's passive red. How do you code "reduce match damage to 1"? They did the best within the confines of the game. Strike tiles should do their job against him.
  • ronin-san wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    AnIron...Man :AnIron...Man: : I'm not sure why D3 released him as is. I think his yellowflag.png should either NULLIFY strike tiles completely and/or make it so that he can't die(he'll stay at 1 HP) while that countdown tile is out. It'd give him the edge he needs for his yellowflag.png not to be completely laughable. His blackflag.png is okay but ofc Surgical strike is better. I think if they made it cheaper in exchange for upping the self damage that'd be reasonable.

His fastball special should do redflag.png ability dmg when he's solo. Otherwise, it's absolutely worthless. Maybe make sense of the Red. Make it use blacktile.png to tack on additional damage, maybe.

His yellowflag.png isn't the problem. It shouldn't make him immortal. I think they just didn't have a way to make him an ACTUAL meat shield without making it an ability. I think they built him correctly, vs Cage's passive red. How do you code "reduce match damage to 1"? They did the best within the confines of the game. Strike tiles should do their job against him.

I haven't played a ton with Colossus, but one of the major complaints I was hearing was about his yellow. And with Luke Cage's red(and even Squirrel Girl's Yellow), we see what "effective" tanking/shielding is. I think the change I proposed would make him more viable. And ultimately, it's still connected to a countdown tile if you'd like to axe him.

I can't really speak either way about 'them doing their job within the confines of the game'. I don't have any evidence of this. I'm just trying to make the character function as I believe they wanted him to. Plus Elektra can 'take 0 damage'.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yeah, that's unjustified. Colossus has one of the strongest Yellow powers in the game. Unless you can kill the CD he reduces all of your biggest hits by a huge amount. Pair him with a Protect-tile generator and that CD is a 5-turn wait to do anything useful or waste your AP; meanwhile you can't get at Hood or whoever who is the real threat.

I'm skeptical of most of your "fixes". Many of them address problems that aren't really there to begin with.

Black Widow has the strongest blue at the 2* tier. (Edit, ok maybe Storm wins that.) They really don't need to make it better.

I like the idea of Cap leaving his shield behind if he gets KOed, but the first part of your passive power description seems like it would nullify anything but match damage. Passive "I win" button.

They tweaked She-Hulk, Beast, and Elektra since you posted this. We'll see if Beast is playable yet. She-Hulk is a beast. Her green even keeps with the spirit of the move like you suggested.

Gamora is strong but I would argue she could use a small boost. I don't know what you mean about "no way to make her go in front"; her Black is based on color match damage so it's easy to build a team where she has GRB covered (which should fill most of the yellow tiles with strikes). I tried her at 3/5/5, and am transitioning her back to 5/5/3 after realizing that the truth is Black just isn't good enough to make up for not getting the two-turn stun and better damage on Green. Her red does very efficient damage (especially when coupled with strikes) and is helpful to cheaply finish off opponents (especially in PvE multi-wave missions). What's to understand? Is it as good as Ambush? No, of course not, but it serves a purpose.

Spiderman is fine, but as a full support character he's boring and would be better if he was more exciting, I'll give you that.

I don't think the Rags change is as bad as you say. YES, his green sucks compared to Call the Storm. Were they trying to make him as good as Thor? I don't think so (and whether they should is a discussion for a different thread). His powers do different things and support different team compositions. Also you seem to have ignored the fact that his blue creates charged tiles (which are now overcosted IMO but better than nothing) along with healing him. It would be nice if the charged tiles appeared randomly (and could immediately match and shake the board a bit).
  • ErikPeter wrote:
    Yeah, that's unjustified....I'm skeptical of most of your "fixes". Many of them address problems that aren't really there to begin with.
    this conversation is over