Season of Regression

Options

Comments

• Games which have succeeded long-term have always made sure that very top percentage is playing for something they think is cool. Even if D3 just had a tourney where they gave out a crown which went next to your name I think they would see people at the top end work for that. They already spend resources to get an ephemeral score that lasts the length of time a leaderboard remains visible. None of this is game breaking none of this is unbalancing. If a new player shows up and they want to know what makes a good player great and they see Jamie Madrox with a crown next to his name and they find out he is the "King of MPQ" they now know what the upper limit looks like.

This is my point though. MPQ doesn't have that and maybe, just maybe, they don't want it to have that? MPQ isn't designed to be a competitive game, in my opinion. It's not Skullgirls, it's not Call of Duty, it's not Starcraft, it's not League of Legends. It's Candy Crush with Marvel properties.

I realize you qualified that with "in my opinion", but I don't see how anyone could make a strong argument that the game isn't designed to be competitive. All of these changes being discussed are specifically in the Player vs Player side of the game, where the top "x" players recieve the highest ranks and most coveted awards. Pretty much the definition of competition.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Options
    I think that the buff rotation idea is great, but they overshot the magnitude of it just a bit. The aim according to their post was to essentially bump everyone up a rarity tier. They definitely did more than that with the buffs they gave out.

Seeing diversity was great. Seeing 4 stars made obsolete by maxed 3 stars wasn't so great. When I have to choose carefully between LThor and Xforce (instead of pretty clearly subbing LThor in for Xforce all week), then they'll have it right. Maybe something more like level 240 or 250 for 3 stars? 150-160 for 2 stars and 80-90 for 1 stars? (I'd defer to someone using a lot more 2 stars about the lower end for sure, though)

Oh, and the 4Thor nerf was terrible. Fix that, devs. Seriously. (see any of the other threads about it for details, but at least 3 turns/8 tiles)
  • Without getting into this too much... The game revolves around competition, but sadly I agree that it wasn't built or designed for competition. Probably my biggest problem right now in the game.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Options
    Trisul wrote:
    LoreNYC wrote:
    A general question that no one seems to ask but is in many of the comments is, "What is the goal of MPQ?"

Can you beat it? no - so achievements? - no, Scores vanish after a few days. What's left? - Your roster- it's the only thing to show what you've accomplished

Now when progression is removed where end goals (like 4*) are made into worthless trophies something will happen. Players will come to realize that although the core - albeit extremely simple - match system is fun for short stints, players will get bored with an unevolving gameplay. The goals they achieved will then be changed into something worthless. The whole purpose of play - to gain/earn/rise - is removed. What's left?

Bejeweled with a Marvel logo

The problem with the current meta point systems is they force tedious play style because the reward bands are stingy. Is this to stretch out these goals? Why do only 10 out of 1000 get the first 3 of 13 covers of a new character when maybe half of those people played more than enough to earn the rewards. I guess because the top 10 don't sleep? Is that really good game design? There's a rotten core and MPQ despite having well done effects and great art with a huge backlog of Marvel to pick from. If the devs would be willing to try other games and see why they work, why people enjoy them, what's enticing and keeps people coming back. They might fix the major flaws with MPQ. We don't want to play 50 hours in one pve for fun. It's tedious. It's terrible. 12 hour double subs is one of the worst aspects of the game and a terrible half-way at rehashing old content. Remove the grindy elements of the game. The gauntlet is great despite the rewards because it's play at your own pace. Deadpool Daily is fantastic because it's play at your own pace.

Fix the core. Worry about characters later
    What's sad is, there's no incentive to fix things with any urgency if the money is already rolling in (which is what I suspect).

That's why I didn't buy anything on the 30% more sale and don't plan to until they shape up.

Heck, the 8 covers I bought for 4Thor 2 weeks before her nerf announcement, I bought with HP that was in my account for more than 6 months. There's a lot that they're doing well, but they keep making some massive mistakes, and their failure to address them makes me not give them any more money.

And by the way, I WANT to give them more money. It sure was hard not to buy a Stark in the last sale. I just can't do it based on their track record, though.
  • Vhailorx wrote:
    One slightly different argument expressed by OP, Colog, and others is the that the nerfing of 4*s threatens the fundamental endgame progression (which has been to collect 4*s). This topic opens up a broader question about what MPQ is, what it should be, and which player-group should be prioritized.
    Who said that collecting 4*s is the fundamental endgame progression anyways? We went for a long time perfectly happy to expand our 3* roster with 4*s unusable. Players seem perfectly happy to play for Season placing which is a much more brutal "endgame" than collecting super-powerful 4*s and stomping 3* rosters to get more super-powerful 4*s. Why would the "endgame" be EASIER than the rest of the game? Who promised you a 4* rose garden?
    Vhailorx wrote:
    I do think that the devs have not yet sorted out what 4*s are supposed to be. Is the gap between 3* land and 4* land supposed to be as big as that be 1* and 2*s, or 2* and 3*s?

If so, then it seems to me that 4* thor and Xforce were about right. A top 3* team could be designed to beat a thorverine team, but there was always substantial risk of a devastating enemy cascade or unfavorable board. That risk meant that 3*s couldn't really compete in pvp (which mandates speed and reliable victory). At the same time, all of the other (pre-Xavier) 4*s were clearly too weak for that standard. They were just more expensive 3*s that were way way harder to get and thus generally not worth the effort (a bit too early to tell with xavier).
    This is, again, a fairly recent development with the level shift - a 1* Storm team and 2* Thor team straight out of the prologue used to be able to compete fine against 2* teams, and a 2* OBW+Ares or MNMags+cStorm team was fine against 3* teams. Then d3p bizarrely decided that players didn't play with 3* characters because they were too weak, not because they were so stingy with covers and iso.
    Vhailorx wrote:
    If, on the other hand, the 4*s were always meant to play just slightly above the level of the best 3*s, then things are totally messed up. most 4*s are actually weaker than the best 3*s, and two 4*s dominate the field. and since dominating the field is basically required to get more 4* covers at anything like a reasonable rate, it was a classic positive feedback loop where the only way to get the top rewards to already have the top rewards.

Personally, I don't see how it is possible for the devs to create and maintain a 4* tier that is just a little bit above, but still playable with 3*s. Given the speedy development cycle, there will always be outlier characters, and they will destroy any attempt to carefully calibrate two tiers that close to each other. And in the long run, introducing new endgame content is the only way to keep veterans interested. So it seems to me that 4* land really should be separated from 3* land by a big gap. That will give the devs room to maneuver with character design so that they won't immediately wreck the progression structure if they release an outlier like Iron Fist or Lazy Thor (and then 5*s can be introduced for a new trophy class as the final reward)
    Yeah, and OBW is better than a heap of 3*s. You take the existence of outliers (Elektra vs Iron Fist) as proof that the progression structure is "wrecked" without explaining why that is so. Most 4*s are better than most 3*s. There are a few 4*s that are worse than the best 3*s. So?
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    puppychow wrote:
    LoreNYC wrote:
    The problem with the current meta point systems is they force tedious play style because the reward bands are stingy. Is this to stretch out these goals? Why do only 10 out of 1000 get the first 3 of 13 covers of a new character when maybe half of those people played more than enough to earn the rewards. I guess because the top 10 don't sleep? Is that really good game design? There's a rotten core and MPQ despite having well done effects and great art with a huge backlog of Marvel to pick from. If the devs would be willing to try other games and see why they work, why people enjoy them, what's enticing and keeps people coming back. They might fix the major flaws with MPQ. We don't want to play 50 hours in one pve for fun. It's tedious. It's terrible. 12 hour double subs is one of the worst aspects of the game and a terrible half-way at rehashing old content. Remove the grindy elements of the game. The gauntlet is great despite the rewards because it's play at your own pace. Deadpool Daily is fantastic because it's play at your own pace.

While you raise an excellent point re: reward band, I think the answer is quite simple. First, by making the first 3 covers so exclusive, the exclusivity encourages players to grind, and perhaps in the process buy health packs to keep up with the pace. If you're a player who is JUST out of top 10 and out of heal packs to continue your grind, the pressure to buy the packs and continue on is tremendous because the alternative means you wasted all that time grinding for the third cover that you won't be able to get. Second, the exclusivity of newly released covers create pressure on the player base to BUY cover packs, and hope they'll get the new cover.

So while the reward scheme is indeed terrible for the player base, D3 knows what it's doing and their goal is to convince players to pay for health packs and cover packs.

While that is indeed true you also have to wonder if they would make more money with a more generous system. Make the covers easier to get and have the higher placement brackets offer more ISO + HP. For instance top 50% get at least 1 cover but HP doesn't start getting handed out until you reach top 10%. As a new player you're happy because you're getting new characters but because you haven't "put the effort in" you either need to sell old characters or buy some HP for roster slots.

For me personally I want to support a company I like. I've given Riot quite a bit of money because I've enjoyed playing their game for the last three or so years. I'm on day 517 in MPQ and I've given d3 like $200 (though with the recent changes I would be very reluctant to give them any more money or to recommend purchases to any of my friends) - if I like your product I don't mind giving you $100 or so a year. Same with Hearthstone and whatever, I know it costs money to develop and maintain "free" games and I'll give you money to show appreciation if you don't treat me like an animal.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    OP's thread proclaimed that it wasn't just another thread complaining about increased personal difficulty with the recent changes.

Aw, I didn't say that. I only said it wasn't a complaint about the PvP buffs making me less competitive (and it wasn't) because I wanted to be clear that it wasn't about me protecting my Top X finishes. I'm still as competitive as I care to be (and will probably benefit overall due to the number of maxed 3*s I have, if the buffs stick around). Plus, at this point, the only rewards I care about in most PvPs are progression rewards, so even if I were less competitive, I wouldn't be complaining.

I'll grant you that the other complaints are likely repetitive in view of all of the other threads, but that's presumably because I'm not the only one feeling this way.
  • The air has been let out of the sails, one step out the door is my feeling...progression being the biggest reason.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My alliance mates are already trying out other Marvel games instead of trying to give suggestions that will be ignored by Demiurge.
  • Vankysher
    Vankysher Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    camichan wrote:
    Fiscally speaking, isn't that the best way to go about it? To cater to the average player. I think a lot of people forget this is a mobile game and it's catering to mobile game players. The top percentile of the player pool is automatically the minority, and to think that you'll be pandered to is probably a little naive? Now, I'm not saying that your complaints are invalid, I am however saying that you're probably thinking a bit above the box.

It's a good question. Someone posted this link a week or so ago in another thread (sorry I can't give credit because I cannot remember who originally posted it):

http://venturebeat.com/2014/02/26/only- ... exclusive/

Not sure whether this is correct, and even if it's correct if it applies to MPQ, but I also think it suggests its at least debatable whether top players thinking/feeling the way they do is naive.
    I posted that link shortly after the nerfs were announced and I think it applies all the more. Now to my long, drawn out nonsensical rambling.

Sadly enough, it was the end of this season and the start of the new PvE for Ms. Marvel that I realized that I don't really want to play this game anymore. I'm still stuck in the 2*-> 3* transition (mostly by my own choice) and while I could instantly max my 2* to be slightly more competitive, I thought why bother? DDQ kind of solved an issue in terms of gaining covers for my under-covered 3* but again - what for? My **** token draw rate still leaves me with 3* that are not very useful. While the PvE prologue drew me in and encouraged me to drop $55, the same PvE content has been recycled ad nauseam that all those transition screens eventually became a nuisance and the new useless character chase tiring. PvP has become a chore since I'm just chum for those maxed teams that I battle up to 300-400 for those progression rewards and let myself be the fodder I am. The fact that I quickly transitioned from eager financial contributor to no way I'm going to give them anymore money in my 6 months of consistent playing should be troubling to D3/Demiurge. Why am I competing for covers - especially for characters I have no interest in - in order to compete for more covers or for a token that gives me terrible odds of getting a cover I would like or need? I still remember a few weeks ago when I teamed up my under-covered Cage & under-covered IF together for a node and the bare synergy of their power set sparked a sense of "fun" while I stomped on the low level goons. Then I quickly realized how long it would be until I could get all the necessary covers for both characters and all that ISO to level them to quickly squash that "fun" and I only saw the work needed to be put in.

While I understand the need to draw out progression to keep me "engaged", it has frankly done the opposite - I simply don't care anymore. I actually played some of my backlog on Steam and you know what? In those few hours I put into those games, I made visible and tangible "progress" that I enjoyed at my pace without some stupid refresh timer telling me when I had to start grinding another node. I'm actually putting in barely enough effort in the current PvE to score enough points for my alliance to hopefully place t100 but most likely I just need a long break from being competitive in a game that really shouldn't be competitive. I still am thinking of hitting DDQ each day but even 1 3* cover a day for the ever growing stable of characters is even making this seemingly pointless (looking at my now 1/2/0 She Hulk). If I go casual, how long will DDQ really hold my interest? I'm earning covers for a 3* for what purpose? If I don't compete in PvE or PvP - what is MPQ?
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I agree with the OP and have upvoted a lot of posts in this thread. I am slowly building my 3* to 140, and I don't think I'll take any of my 4* past 166. The last thing I want to have eliminated, is my ability to compete in PVE.

Unfortunately for me, I've gotten to a point where I have more 3* covers than I need, and I end up getting the ones I already have. Since I am in a PVP alliance, that is ok with 600 pts/pvp, I don't have a great drive to score higher. Also being f2p, means, my 9200 HP is saved for roster slots, and nothing else. I have hit 10k twice, but I want to get out of every PVP/PVE with a net gain of HP. I don't buy healthpacks, I don't buy all boosts, I don't buy covers. I put a lot of time into the game, so it's an option for me to do it this way, but it's not a viable way for 99% of the players to do this.

The buffs did help me hit my first 1k, but that's only because of outside communication. Outside communication, is one of the things that keep me interested in playing the game. There are a bunch of players in my group still having fun accumulating things, and because of getting to know and play with them, I'll play for their benefit. I think once they get to the higher end, like most of the players here are, they'll sour as well, with the current direction of the game.

I don't have to experience it firsthand, to believe that their complaints/criticisms are valid. I didn't believe in the roster slot issue, ISO bottleneck, and other problems til I encountered them myself. So I will take their word on the desire to play being decreased, and I have also taken their word regarding PVE scaling, which is why you won't see me with anyone over 166, 4* included.

There were too many issues that hadn't been addressed, or addressed well enough, 3* and now 4* dilution, stingy rewards distribution, roster slot dilemma, ISO bottleneck, new character release schedule, etc and now they're adding more to the problems. I think the devs' bosses, have the wrong gameplan for longterm success and stability of incoming revenue. They're happy with the current situation, or seem to be, thinking they have a sustainable gameplan. I think that false impression is leading them to go with the game in its current state and plan, and will be the reason that the game ends up folding up / losing revenue. I would hope that they would realize this before it gets to that point. If they realize it too late, everyone that would've appreciated the changes by spending $, would be long gone by then.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    puppychow wrote:
    While you raise an excellent point re: reward band, I think the answer is quite simple. First, by making the first 3 covers so exclusive, the exclusivity encourages players to grind, and perhaps in the process buy health packs to keep up with the pace. If you're a player who is JUST out of top 10 and out of heal packs to continue your grind, the pressure to buy the packs and continue on is tremendous because the alternative means you wasted all that time grinding for the third cover that you won't be able to get. Second, the exclusivity of newly released covers create pressure on the player base to BUY cover packs, and hope they'll get the new cover.

So while the reward scheme is indeed terrible for the player base, D3 knows what it's doing and their goal is to convince players to pay for health packs and cover packs.
    Medpacks were never a significant source of income for them, even if it double or tripled, it'd still be a drop in the bucket compared to the other sources of spideycoin.png usage.
    kensterr wrote:
    My alliance mates are already trying out other Marvel games instead of trying to give suggestions that will be ignored by Demiurge.
    Really, they need to sit down with Gaz and find out what the hell the later is doing so well. Are cosmetics really that much larger of an income stream that Marvel Heroes is able to stay afloat, with a much larger team. Especially when they release new characters like 3 times slower than MPQ, with them costing less than 1/13th of a new cover here (and leveling costs being insignificant)
  • Phillipes
    Phillipes Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think it is this lack of progression where the devs have a blind spot. They don't get how important it is to have something cool to strive for. If there aren't cool things to play for it all eventually seems pointless.
    If they aren't going to give us overpowered characters then they need to give something else to the very best players to achieve.
    I keep saying this but it is because the devs don't play the game at that level that they don't understand this.
    They design the game to their average roster and their average ability at the game.
    How I wish they'd just talk to their mods before implementing their next "fun" idea. They just might save themselves from themselves.

Please, anyone, PM Colognoisseurs post to any of developers, he is 1.000.000 % right !!
    They need to read that !!
    That is exactly how veterans players feel !!
  • Unknown
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Well there's an old saying "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me"

Given what has happened with powerful characters in the past. as far as I'm concerned D3 shot themselves in the foot. Characters that have been fun have been nerfed endlessly. So the next time a character that comes out as fun, you are left wondering how long will this character remain fun before its changed to a state that its not? Since pretty much the announcement of changes to Thor, when I saw xaiver, I thought yeah he looks fun but how long will he remain that way? As a result I didn't even bother partaking in that event. And even this current one with the new Ms Marvel, again I didn't bother because I expect no matter how much fun a character is, they're not going to remain that way. Yeah this impacted the likelihood I would spend any money on the game... from moderately likely to not til hell freezes over and even then it's extraordinarily unlikely.

Thing is trust is difficult to earn and you can lose it very very quickly. When you lost someone's trust, its very hard to re-earn it again. This is where D3 has dropped the ball and failed to understand a very basic concept about people. It this present moment in time even watching their developer videos, they still seem clueless to what they want to do or how to take the game forward (to me anyway).

It doesn't increase trust when they claim things have been play tested only for them to change the character a few weeks or months down the line. Then there's that new added rule on refunds... on a subconscious level it fuels what I mention earlier, about fun characters, just how long will it remain that way? Cause that new refund rule, just tells me "oh we're ok with release new characters and then taking away your fun, but you can get half your money back"... sorry that doesn't inspire me with much confidence.
  • Phillipes
    Phillipes Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    shade_tree wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:
    The problem is you can't be in a top 100 alliance with that style of play. The bonus cover per event is really nice and the legendary cover at the end of the season (used to be) enticing.

A brief perusal of the alliance recruiting page reveals that 600 points per PVP will get you into at least a couple Top 100 PVP alliances. When I get completely burned out on PVE and being a Top 100 PVE alliance commander, I'll likely join a PVP-only alliance, late-start every event, and move even further into retirement. icon_e_wink.gif

Oh, and just to reply to grunth's post, I have maybe four covers for Thora / Starlord / Elektra / Fury and my XF is 5/5/2 and lvl 180. But yes, my 3*s are solid.

Sorry for all the OT posting.

That absouletely isn´t true. And if it is, there are 5 - 6 members who hits 1000+ point regulary. It was true maybe in season 5. Don´t post about things you clearly don´t have any clue.
  • Unknown
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Phillipes wrote:
    shade_tree wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:
    The problem is you can't be in a top 100 alliance with that style of play. The bonus cover per event is really nice and the legendary cover at the end of the season (used to be) enticing.

A brief perusal of the alliance recruiting page reveals that 600 points per PVP will get you into at least a couple Top 100 PVP alliances. When I get completely burned out on PVE and being a Top 100 PVE alliance commander, I'll likely join a PVP-only alliance, late-start every event, and move even further into retirement. icon_e_wink.gif

Oh, and just to reply to grunth's post, I have maybe four covers for Thora / Starlord / Elektra / Fury and my XF is 5/5/2 and lvl 180. But yes, my 3*s are solid.

Sorry for all the OT posting.

That absouletely isn´t true. And if it is, there are 5 - 6 members who hits 1000+ point regulary. It was true maybe in season 5. Don´t post about things you clearly don´t have any clue.
    I said that there are several Top 100 alliances currently recruiting for members who can score at least 600 points which is a fact (go check the recruiting posts). I didn't claim that everyone in such an alliance only makes 600 points.

Here's an example: http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24772
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I dunno, I actually had an easier time after the buffs, reaching my first 1k since the change to the shields. Yeah, dudes have super lots of HP, but my man Patch put out strike tiles so powerful that it was like cutting through wet paper. And his own beastly HP paired with ridiculous amounts of regeneration, soaked up as many Sunders as the AI threw at my face with HP leftover to laugh at Onslaught.
  • Pylgrim wrote:
    I dunno, I actually had an easier time after the buffs, reaching my first 1k since the change to the shields. Yeah, dudes have super lots of HP, but my man Patch put out strike tiles so powerful that it was like cutting through wet paper. And his own beastly HP paired with ridiculous amounts of regeneration, soaked up as many Sunders as the AI threw at my face with HP leftover to laugh at Onslaught.
    Your MMR must really be in the dumps if you're using Ares as an example of how powerful Patch is buffed. In other words, despite Ares' palpable strength when buffed, you should still be facing nothing but maxed buffed 3*s / XF / occasional Goddess once you hit 700+.
  • This season has finally taken the fun out of the game for me...and it's hard for me to get it back. I need a long hiatus from this. Found another marvel game to play, marvel mighty heroes which has gained more of my interest than this one. I don't know what they are doing or plan on doing but the formula is old, stale, and not much fun. Please add some better content then this garbage. If you plan on repeating the same nonsense over and over at least give players something to strive for. Even then I just don't see it as being enough. Maybe a long break will re-energize me but just opening the game up seems like a chore now.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    gobstopper wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Your MMR must really be in the dumps if you're using Ares as an example of how powerful Patch is buffed. In other words, despite Ares' palpable strength when buffed, you should still be facing nothing but maxed buffed 3*s / XF / occasional Goddess once you hit 700+.
    I've only seen one person using goddess after the nerf, hard to justify her when buffed lazy thor was like, better than x-force