What is the logic behind redwing power?

Options
I ask because why does it not target the imminent threat?

If a 3 turn timer that does 3000+ damage is on the board I would prefer redwing going after that instead of a 20 turn tile.

Sometimes it does, more often it doesn't. Like cap, why can't we pick the tile?

Comments

• OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Because they wanted to make you think Falcon was actually a decent character when he's not. I can't think of any situation anymore where I'd want redwing over OBWs blue or even Daredevil's ability to stun reliably. I'd sell him but they have finally been releasing balance updates at a decent rate. Maybe he will get a second pass.
  • ShadowX1984
    Options
    It's a random effect. In game terms, it's just a pet bird- not that bright I guess. I find him quite useful with Cap. If you can match the Redwing tile occasionally this power can get rid if a third to half of the countdown piles the goons place, for no AP. Then Cap can snipe out the ones that are missed. The key is that it doesn't expend any AP, so you can't expect a targeted effect really.
  • metabelian
    Options
    Random is a bit annoying, but all three of his powers are great for survival mode.
  • Yeah. I mean when he matches the right tile it is so much YES!

But when he does not and it means a cover is going to die soon if the timer cant be eliminated quickly...

I guess this is sort of like asking why is the board all pink when you face bullseye but never pink when you use bullseye.
  • From his wiki.

And he 100% should be able to direct the bird/select the tile

Powers
    In his earliest appearances Falcon exhibits a close bond with his bird Redwing, which in Captain America #174 Professor X confirms as being a paranormal empathic link. The Red Skull later reveals that he had used the Cosmic Cube to create a "super-normal mental link" between Sam Wilson and Redwing.[35] Falcon later recalled the experience, stating "Hurt like hell. Being mentally fused with that falcon. Able to see through his eyes."[36]

Falcon eventually revealed that he has been able to extend this empathic link. "I'm always psychically connected with Redwing, but through concentration I've recently tapped into another ability -- I'm able to link-up with other birds. ... I have over six billion pairs of eyes in the United States alone." He used this ability to quickly search New York City when the criminal Scarecrow kidnapped two children,[37] as well as to spy on Senator Dell Rusk (actually the Red Skull in disguise) and Henry Peter Gyrich.[38] He is also apparently able to access the memories of birds, and see things they had witnessed in the past (although birds have a different concept of the passage of time, which makes it difficult for him to know when any events they witnessed occurred).[39]

Falcon has shown some ability to apparently control birds, as shown when he enlisted their aid in attacking Scarecrow, and when (badly injured and manacled to a wall) he telepathically summoned a large number of different birds from the surrounding area to smash through a window and attack the Red Skull.
  • Don't forget that it's a passive though- it doesn't actually cost any AP. If it let you pick the title the devs would probably say it was too strong (for a passive at least).
    I actually think Falcon is well-designed and doesn't need to be changed. It's just that he's a support character, not a damage-dealer.
  • You still need 5 blue to get it to activate
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 692 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It's OK against characters that create a small number powerful special tiles, like Captain America and Rocket & Groot. I agree that it's a second-rate passive.
  • ShadowX1984
    Options
    But once you have that 5 blue, Redwing keeps rolling as long as the AP is in the bank. Black Widow's power is a lot more powerful, but you need to make 3 blue matches in the next 4 turns to be able to delay countdown timers you can't get rid of. I do agree with the comment above that all in all, with the other 2 powers factored in, he's a great help to take into survival nodes.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Falcon is certainly not a bad character. Yeah, Strike Tiles aren't the killer they once were, but pairing Falcon with the likes of Blade or Daken is quite effectively. Falcon can also work pretty well with IF/LC to boost their Strike/Protect Tile or with Loki in Muscle nodes,

He's not really a PVP star, no, but to dismiss him as bad is just not accurate.
  • So back to the logic.

It must just work as basic as this.

2 timer tiles, 50% of matching the one you wish to be matched

3 33%

4 25%

5 20%

So just 100% random. Unless there is 1 tile.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Are you people insane? Do you realize how trivial Falcon would render PvE / Goons if the power remained unchanged except you could choose the affected tile?
  • The logic is redwing is either one selfish bird or a very smart one. He doesn't attack the imminent threat cause he doesn't want to risk getting blasted for some human that he has been enslaved to. He keeps his distance for self preservation.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Falcon is a very solid character as built. He's a support guy that shines against goons and survival nodes with the right teammates.
  • d0nk3y
    d0nk3y Posts: 213
    Options
    rvs623 wrote:
    Don't forget that it's a passive though- it doesn't actually cost any AP. If it let you pick the title the devs would probably say it was too strong (for a passive at least).
    I actually think Falcon is well-designed and doesn't need to be changed. It's just that he's a support character, not a damage-dealer.

So what if, for the ability to control Redwing's target, Falcon was stunned for x rounds while he focuses his attention through Redwing's eyes? Also, cost increased by 1 at level 3.

Redwing - Blue PASSIVE
    Falcon's companion Redwing soars overhead, alerting Falcon to danger. If the team has at least 8 blue AP, Redwing converts an enemy Protect or Strike tile into a 4 turn Countdown tile that signals when Redwing will return.
    Level 2: Redwing can change Attack Tiles.
    Level 3: Redwing strikes when the team has 6 Blue AP. Falcon can choose to control Redwing's target - If Falcon chooses the target, Falcon is stunned for 2 turns and the effort costs the team 2 blue AP.
    Level 4: Redwing can change countdown tiles.
    Level 5: Redwing returns after only 3 turns. Falcon's control over Redwing approaches mastery - If Falcon chooses the target, Falcon is stunned for 1 turn and the effort costs the team 1 blue AP.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I almost always use Falcon in PVE especially the all-goon fights. Put him with Patch and Blade and before long I'm hitting 1500-2000 every match easy. I also use him in the final DPQ survival wave with X-Force and LCap.
    I agree about being able to select the tile would be more in line with his comic book inspiration and have suggested this before. Still, I find him very useful. OBW is good for stalling timers, but they're still there.
  • dider152
    dider152 Posts: 263
    Options
    When I use falcon, when he sends out his bird, I repeatedly tap on the tap I want him to take over. Sometimes, it doesn't work, but it seems like the majority of the time it does. Maybe it's just confirmation bias, but, you can try that.
  • konannfriends
    konannfriends Posts: 246 Tile Toppler
    Options
    hed be more effective if he could get the protect tiles rolling out sooner. his purple should be 9 and be weaker(in the end it doesnt matter how strong they are if her can up then by 100 points) and cmags should cost eleven and be stronger

i mean which one protect better? a flock of poultry or a coercive field?
  • Azoic
    Azoic Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I love him already and i only have 4 covers. I had fun using the loaner in a past event. You realize you can match falcon's cd tile to make redwing return early, right?
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It was motivation for me in designing Doctor Strange. I used the concept of Redwing as Strange's Eye of Agamotto, which abates damage done to the doctor and pops an EYE countdown tile.