You get to fix Bullseye. Why? How?

Options
ronin_san
ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
edited June 2015 in Speculation and Concepts
The obvious answers for dysfunctional characters is a cost tuning ie IW and Ragnarok, or a complete revamp eg XFW and C.Mags.

But what would you go, if you got to completely revamp Bullseye? Would you drop a Lazy Bullseye or make him into an all-new Elektra killer?
Because the current iteration is a farce. He's not a psychopathic killer. He's just a metal-boned archer that takes forever to shoot an arrow.

So I suggest star.pngstar.pngstar.png Bullseye.
He's peak-human/Olympic grade athlete and not *necessarily* genetically modified. So he'd have ~GSBW hit points but be explosive in terms of dmg output. I suggest 6200 HPs. blackflag.pngredflag.pngblueflag.png

marvel-cover-gallery-4-20050317021725936-000.jpg

I say let him place bomb/trap tiles whenever team abilities are fired off. Make it an active-passive like Doom, but explode nearby tiles like Hood or GSBW. Make it blackflag.png11AP , but do 1K per bomb tile plus destruction dmg.

Alternately, let it leave attack.png tiles from the smolder and the rubble from his bombs.

Another thing we haven't seen the game explore is sort of the opposite of Cage's yellowflag.png , in that many villains (in both DC and Marvel) take pleasure in seeing others fail. So what it Bullseye gains AP whenever ANY player dies in combat? He's ESPECIALLY the sort of baddie that would smile when someone dies.
Give him a redflag.pngpassive that lets him accrue 1AP all (or 3AP all at max level) whenever any player dies out. I'm looking at it being free / passive, because he doesn't expend anything. He just takes the cheap joy. It fuels him.

blueflag.png THROWING WEAPONS. 10 Blue Everything's a weapon when you throw it AND NEVER MISS. So let Bullseye have an ability that does (at max level) 500 per team-up tile destroyed, but here's the change I want.

Make the team-ups pop a few at a time, like a repeat volley. Give him a chance to attack the enemy team, possibly taking down multiple adversaries. Think of it as the Teisatsu (I think) that tosses shurikens which are powered by the number of surviving characters. Maybe Bullseye does more dmg if more people are dead.

3814457-bullseye.jpg

bullseye.gif

2262749-tumblr_lsfql0cgxz1qg8i80o1_1280.jpg

Anything's a weapon if you're crazy enough.

As always, criticism is welcome and expected. Feel free to copy/paste ideas from the "novel", eg 27 page character thread.

Honestly, I wish we had a "Character Suggestion" subforum. Because these aren't real characters worth discussing in the Character Thread, and it's not General Discussion when they're all hypothetical. We're not so much "Suggesting" these characters as we are trying to make sense of them appearing in this game.

Comments

• I would give him 6800 health if not the new 7350.

For blackflag.png - Hidden Explosives - Bullseye is crazy. He keeps bombs everywhere.
    Passive - Creates one random trap tile (any color) every time Bullseye matches tiles.
    Active - 11 AP - Destorys all trap tiles on board in a 3x3 explosion. Each tile destroyed does ~75 damage (so 1 trap 675 assuming it can actually blow up 9 tiles). No tile damage, no AP.

Here's an interesting option for your Throwing Weapons idea: Have it convert TU's into TU CD tiles (which probably don't exist right now, but whatever) or convert TUs into Blue CD tiles if you have to. 1 turn CD at 5 covers, each one does maybe 1100 damage, have him create 6 at 5 covers. Since they each count down individually he has the best chance of killing multiple guys with it.

For the Red passive (which I would probably make Purple), how about something like this:

For each color of tile with Bullseye's symbol on it, if a Strike Tile does not exist in that color, create a strike tile of Strength X. It would start out at 2-4 strike tiles depending on team composition, but if Bullseye is the last man standing it goes up to 6 colors.
  • ronin_san
    Options
    I'm fine with purpleflag.png instead. The color of that redflag.png isn't important. I chose red because I associate red with envy, fury, or anger. I blame Darth Vader.
  • KingOzymandius
    KingOzymandius Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    Options
    The star.pngstar.png Bullseye's Murderous Aim is relatively fine the way it is, though I'd like to see a few adjustments for a star.pngstar.pngstar.png version. Adamantium Bones, however ... that's gotta go. Firstly, of all the characters with adamantium covered and/or reinforced bones in Marvel Comics, it is least important to Bullseye as a character. Heck, it doesn't do much to protect him anyways, considering his bones are still regularly broken and he's even gotten himself crippled or paralyzed almost as often as Professor X.

So, here's how I'd work a star.pngstar.pngstar.png Bullseye ...

Murderous Aim
    blackflag.png
    This ability stays mostly the same as star.pngstar.png's version for the first four levels of the power. With a fifth cover, it gets a cost adjustment up to ... let's say 19 AP and still only creates the one Critical Tile, but if there are three or more such tiles on the board, the target is instantly downed. You know, so it's actually murderous.

Ricochet Shot blueflag.png
    Similar to Daredevil's Billy Club, except this ability does moderate damage instead of stunning the target. Keeps the same mechanics, with a countdown tile that bounces around the board each time it reaches 0, doing damage each time, and if you match it away you earn back AP.

Everything's A Weapon Passive (Color To Be Determined)
    A passive that only activates if you have X amount of AP saved up, it slowly (might even need to put a timer in it somehow, or some sort of tile limit) converts special tiles on the board (both yours and your opponent's) into friendly Strike tiles. The idea here, of course, is that in Bullseye's hands anything and everything can be used as a weapon, whether its the hunks of metal that enemy Magneto summons to protect himself, or the severed arm of one of a friendly Doom's summoned demons, or even Daredevil's own Billy Club. Bullseye's passive wouldn't override friendly Strike tiles, or his own Ricochet Shot.

Now, for a commentary on your proposal.

I like the blueflag.png and especially like the redflag.png passive. I'd love to see something like that in the game and hope some character gets an ability like that. But, while I agree that Bullseye has that kind of attitude even more than most villains, I'd kinda like to save that for another character. There's more than enough (in my opinion, at least) that can be done with Bullseye, and there are other characters where it's more difficult to come up with a way to represent them in-game where having a power like that not-yet-given could make or break a character's inclusion.

The blackflag.png I'll admit that I'm not completely sold on. A lot of Bullseye redesigns I've seen have used Trap tiles for one or more powers (exact mechanics vary, of course). I assume this is because Elektra and Daredevil, Bullseye's main nemeses, both rely on Trap tiles for their powers (Daredevil less so since his rework). Thing of it is, Bullseye doesn't seem like a Trap tile kind of guy to me. He's very "hand's on" when it comes to his work and enjoys it too much to give up the personal touch inherent in an instant activate power. It's definitely a solid power that I'd like to see in the game, but it doesn't scream "Bullseye!" to me. Maybe more of a Red Skull, Baron Zemo, or especially Viper/Madame HYDRA power.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The star.pngstar.png Bullseye's Murderous Aim is relatively fine the way it is, though I'd like to see a few adjustments for a star.pngstar.pngstar.png version. Adamantium Bones, however ... that's gotta go. Firstly, of all the characters with adamantium covered and/or reinforced bones in Marvel Comics, it is least important to Bullseye as a character. Heck, it doesn't do much to protect him anyways, considering his bones are still regularly broken and he's even gotten himself crippled or paralyzed almost as often as Professor X.

So, here's how I'd work a star.pngstar.pngstar.png Bullseye ...

Murderous Aim
    blackflag.png
    This ability stays mostly the same as star.pngstar.png's version for the first four levels of the power. With a fifth cover, it gets a cost adjustment up to ... let's say 19 AP and still only creates the one Critical Tile, but if there are three or more such tiles on the board, the target is instantly downed. You know, so it's actually murderous.

Ricochet Shot blueflag.png
    Similar to Daredevil's Billy Club, except this ability does moderate damage instead of stunning the target. Keeps the same mechanics, with a countdown tile that bounces around the board each time it reaches 0, doing damage each time, and if you match it away you earn back AP.

Everything's A Weapon Passive (Color To Be Determined)
    A passive that only activates if you have X amount of AP saved up, it slowly (might even need to put a timer in it somehow, or some sort of tile limit) converts special tiles on the board (both yours and your opponent's) into friendly Strike tiles. The idea here, of course, is that in Bullseye's hands anything and everything can be used as a weapon, whether its the hunks of metal that enemy Magneto summons to protect himself, or the severed arm of one of a friendly Doom's summoned demons, or even Daredevil's own Billy Club. Bullseye's passive wouldn't override friendly Strike tiles, or his own Ricochet Shot.

I really like these abilities. Just a few comments/questions/suggestions:
    Is there a specific reason to make Ricochet Shot Blue other than the comparison to Billy Club? I'd suggest that it could easily be Red instead.
    I think that the passive is tricky enough to warrant being Purple.
  • Is this an interview question for a designer job for MPQ?
  • Omega Blacc
    Omega Blacc Posts: 69 Match Maker
    Options
    I like the idea of "Everything Is A Weapon", but I envision it like this:

(Passive)
    Bullseye never misses. When your team has X amount of whatever color AP, he grabs a special tile on the board and hurls it to damage the enemy.

Card 1: X damage, only strike tiles
    Card 2: Strike and shield tiles
    Card 3: Damage increase. Strike, shield, and attack tiles.
    Card 4: Strike, Shield, Attack, and Countdown tiles
    Card 5: Damage increase. Bullseye leaves friendly tiles on the board.

I envision it as Redbird meets Radar Sense, but at the expense of hoarding an important AP color...maybe Red or Black. If IF and Cage can continuously drop tiles on your head, why not let Bullseye throw 'em back in their face?

If you think the power is too strong for a passive, perhaps give the attack an actual AP cost and then you can actually pick which tiles to throw at the enemy -friendly or not.
  • ronin_san
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Is this an interview question for a designer job for MPQ?

I'd love it so much, even if it's telecommuting and part time.
  • I really like the idea of the Everything's a Weapon passive. My suggestion for alteration is as follows:

Everything's a Weapon: Whenever Bullseye matches a strike tile he deals an extra 346 damage. If this is an enemy tile Bullseye also stuns the enemy for one turn.
    Level 2: 372 damage. Also triggers on protect tiles.
    Level 3: 404 damage. Also triggers on countdown tiles.
    Level 4: 450 damage. Also triggers on attack tiles.
    Level 5: 571 damage. Matching enemy tile stuns enemy for 2 turns.

Max:
    Level 3: 1285 damage.
    Level 4: 1431 damage.
    Level 5: 1816 damage. Matching enemy tile stuns enemy for 2 turns.

This would also be a subtle counter to Elektra's double double cross, as her leaving strike tiles gives Bullseye ammunition to work with.

I'd probably also add in a few strike tiles to his black. "Bullseye leaves the other team disorganized and vulnerable with his precision attack." Bullseye creates 4 black strike tiles of strength X (104/114/135 maxed) in his wake (transforms existing basic black tiles).
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 624 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Fantastic ideas here. Although I agree with Ozymandius that I've never seen Bullseye as a trap character -- more full-on assault with whatever's handy.

ronin, I love the "last man standing" vibe of a passive that generates AP when teammates die (and would be in keeping with how much of a team-hater Bullseye was during his time on the Thunderbolts and Dark Avengers), but I think a one-time AP burst would be too minimal. How about a perpetual AP gain, increased by number of covers and number of downed teammates:

greenflag.pngAdrenaline Rush - PASSIVE
    Psychotically revelling in the deaths of his careless teammates, Bullseye is sent into a maniacal adrenaline-fueled overkill mode. Generates 1 AP in his primary color every round that a single teammate is downed.
      2 covers: Generates 2 AP in his primary color every round that a single teammate is downed.
      3 covers: Generates 2 AP in his primary color every round that a single teammate is downed and 1 AP in his secondary color every round that two teammates are downed.
      4 covers: Generates 2 AP in his primary color every round that a single teammate is downed and 2 AP in his secondary color every round that two teammates are downed.
      5 covers: Generates 3 AP in his primary color every round that a single teammate is downed and 3 AP in his secondary color every round that two teammates are downed.

• His current purple is annoying but doesn't seem thematic to bullseye. His black I love and want them to keep it only in a buffed 3* version.

My proposal.
      blackflag.png Murderous aim, as is scaled to 3* glory
      blueflag.png "I Never Miss" 5 blue Destroys a single basic tile does 5x normal tile damage, at higher levels can also destroy special tiles and do increased damage.
      purpleflag.png Viciousness, passive whenever you make a match 5 also destroy enemy AP in random colors. Possibly match 4s at 5 covers.
    • Wonko33
      Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
      Options
      We already get plenty of 3*, what is ridiculous is that the optimal rewards we get for PvP, the 4* we all fight to get are a farce, when there is only one that is good and all we hear about is nerfing him....

So here's to spending 2/5th of the ISO. 1/2 the HP for covers, for more powerful characters! Bring on the 3*s
    • puppychow
      puppychow Posts: 1,453
      Options
      First, I appreciate the luv players are showing here for Bullseye. He's an interesting character and certainly due for a lil' spiffing or two. If there is a 3* version, I think his health should be comparable to Human Torch's, like 5.8k or so. He's not a melee fighter like Patch, so BE should have less health than Patch's 6.8k.

In terms of ability, I see him as comparable to Hawkeye. So BE's active abilities has to revolve around projectiles--direct damage output, board shaking, or special tile elimination. He should also get a passive ability of some sort, maybe strike/attack tile conversion to reflect his sharp eyesight and ability to find weak points.
    • konannfriends
      konannfriends Posts: 246 Tile Toppler
      Options
      wait, why are we getting rid of his protect tiles. thats the best thing about him?

and they should defintly keep murderous aim that thing is amazing. lower ap cost to 10

throw in another abililty

raise level cap to 166 with 5950
    • KingOzymandius
      KingOzymandius Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
      Options
      Mawtful wrote:
      Is there a specific reason to make Ricochet Shot Blue other than the comparison to Billy Club? I'd suggest that it could easily be Red instead.

Ha! I didn't even think about Billy Club being the same color. My only reason for making the power blue was because Bullseye's costume is usually drawn either black or blue, and I attach too much importance to costume color whenever I try to design characters for MPQ. It's a damaging ability, so red makes perfect sense, and I'd be all on board with the passive being purple.

(Passive)
      Bullseye never misses. When your team has X amount of whatever color AP, he grabs a special tile on the board and hurls it to damage the enemy.

I envision it as Redbird meets Radar Sense, but at the expense of hoarding an important AP color...maybe Red or Black. If IF and Cage can continuously drop tiles on your head, why not let Bullseye throw 'em back in their face?

Oh, I like that. I like it a lot. Much better than my idea, I think. It's the same premise, but elegant in its simplicity, without all the problems my version risks (I can only imagine the coding nightmare trying to prevent the ai from repeatedly replacing Bullseye's own generated Strike tiles with Bullseye's Strike tiles). It's a little powerful, but I think a lot of that is balanced out simply because Bullseye might choose one of your own special tiles to weaponize. And I definitely like it as a passive. It gives the feel of ... well, the bio for Bullseye in-game says it best ... a "compulsion for casual murder".
    • GuntherBlobel
      GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
      Options
      I love Bullseye for one reason: blackflag.png Murderous Aim!

I'd love to see a more powerful 3* worthy version, but that's difficult to do, because Murderous Aim was very cleverly designed in the first place. As currently designed, 2X fires would guarantee the bonus damage condition, but to make that condition very difficult, the Devs priced 2X fires just above the 30 AP cap. Very clever. But unfortunately, too expensive in 3* land.

Here's one idea for a cheaper blackflag.png Murderous Aim that requires 1) two crits on the board and 1X fire (11 blacktile.png AP), or 2) one crit and 2X fires (22 blacktile.png AP), or 3) no crits on the board and 3X fires (33 blacktile.png AP: just above the AP cap). It also has to be some sort of threat from the AI or it's not PvP worthy, so I've added bonus damage in either condition. Changes are underlined.

blackflag.png Murderous Aim - 11 blacktile.png AP
      Bullseye has really taken to this bow and arrow shtick. Turns a selected (non-Countdown) tile into a Critical tile and deals 500 damage or 3000 damage if there are 2 or more Critical tiles already on the board.

Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Deals
      1000 damage or 3000 damage if there are 2 or more Critical tiles already on the board.
      Level 3: Deals 1500 damage or 4000 damage if there are 2 or more Critical tiles already on the board.
      Level 4: Deals 2000 damage or 6000 damage if there are 2 or more Critical tiles already on the board.
      Level 5: Deals 3500 damage or Downs the target if there are 2 or more Critical tiles already on the board.
      Max Level: 3500 damage or downs the target if there are 2 or more Critical tiles already on the board.
    • konannfriends
      konannfriends Posts: 246 Tile Toppler
      Options
      I love Bullseye for one reason: blackflag.png Murderous Aim!

I'd love to see a more powerful 3* worthy version, but that's difficult to do, because Murderous Aim was very cleverly designed in the first place. As currently designed, 2X fires would guarantee the bonus damage condition, but to make that condition very difficult, the Devs priced 2X fires just above the 30 AP cap. Very clever. But unfortunately, too expensive in 3* land.

Here's one idea for a cheaper blackflag.png Murderous Aim that requires 1) two crits on the board and 1X fire (11 blacktile.png AP), or 2) one crit and 2X fires (22 blacktile.png AP), or 3) no crits on the board and 3X fires (33 blacktile.png AP: just above the AP cap). It also has to be some sort of threat from the AI or it's not PvP worthy, so I've added bonus damage in either condition. Changes are underlined.

blackflag.png Murderous Aim - 11 blacktile.png AP
      Bullseye has really taken to this bow and arrow shtick. Turns a selected (non-Countdown) tile into a Critical tile and deals 500 damage or 3000 damage if there are 2 or more Critical tiles already on the board.

Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Deals
      1000 damage or 3000 damage if there are 2 or more Critical tiles already on the board.
      Level 3: Deals 1500 damage or 4000 damage if there are 2 or more Critical tiles already on the board.
      Level 4: Deals 2000 damage or 6000 damage if there are 2 or more Critical tiles already on the board.
      Level 5: Deals 3500 damage or Downs the target if there are 2 or more Critical tiles already on the board.
      Max Level: 3500 damage or downs the target if there are 2 or more Critical tiles already on the board.

honestly it doesnt even need all the extra effects. placing 3 crit tiles guarantees massive damage , ap, and most likely cascades
    • FaustianDeal
      FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
      Options
      He isn't much of a team-player, so I like the idea of having an "everything is a weapon" power that chucks team-up tiles.

What if it worked like Squirrel Girl's green? It drops a countdown on the board... every turn it ticks down 1 and Bullseye throws a team up tile, causing damage. When the countdown reaches 0 he throws that tile. (Optionally having the countdown tile do AoE at 4th or 5th cover?)
    • That's not a bad plan on Everything a Weapon, although picking up a fist and throwing it seems kinda wonky.
    • Lerysh wrote:
      That's not a bad plan on Everything a Weapon, although picking up a fist and throwing it seems kinda wonky.

Stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself.
    • Omega Blacc
      Omega Blacc Posts: 69 Match Maker
      Options
      Mawtful wrote:

Ha! I didn't even think about Billy Club being the same color. My only reason for making the power blue was because Bullseye's costume is usually drawn either black or blue, and I attach too much importance to costume color whenever I try to design characters for MPQ. It's a damaging ability, so red makes perfect sense, and I'd be all on board with the passive being purple.

(Passive)

Oh, I like that. I like it a lot. Much better than my idea, I think. It's the same premise, but elegant in its simplicity, without all the problems my version risks (I can only imagine the coding nightmare trying to prevent the ai from repeatedly replacing Bullseye's own generated Strike tiles with Bullseye's Strike tiles). It's a little powerful, but I think a lot of that is balanced out simply because Bullseye might choose one of your own special tiles to weaponize. And I definitely like it as a passive. It gives the feel of ... well, the bio for Bullseye in-game says it best ... a "compulsion for casual murder".

Thank you. Your idea was pretty good also!

The way I designed it, I see it as constant offense at the potential expense of defense. At the highest level it becomes suppression...a barrage of projectiles. Drop special tiles at your own risk.

Imagine casting Bird Strike or Hailstorm to feed Bullseye rather than stop damage. Will he hurt the other team before they hurt you? You know he's always aiming at the other team, but he's already hoarding an important color and you just spent all your purple / black. If you don't have 5 cards, is the damage he deals worth potentially losing your tiles? I guess you have to make damage worth the sacrifice.

Speaking of sacrifice, World Rupture could feed him too, but kiss your board goodbye.

If you make "Everything's A Weapon" a passive black and change the color on Murderous Aim, you won't likely be able to cast Hailstorm or Summon Demons to feed him anyway.

A lot of ways to play this mechanic.

Heck, maybe let Gambit do it instead...plays right along with the card/gambling theme.